Warming up to max

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
I still havent figured out the best number of sets and reps to do before maxing. I have my football lifting comp soon and i know everyone is different, but what do you guys do before mqxing out

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Credit for this goes to Jim Wendler:

1x5 @ 50%
1x3 @ 60%
1x2 @ 70%
1x1 @ 80%
1x1 @ 90%
1x1 @ 95%
1x1 @ 100% or new PR.

roblasane

roblasane

Awards
You would want to do as little as possible so you wouldn't fatigue. If you PM what weight you use for say 10 reps I can approximate . Than you try that weight if you can bench it than wait 3 mins add 5 pounds and try again . That should get you there.

sprintstar01

Awards
I usually warm-up with (knowing previous max numbers or calculating max before hand):

40% x5
50% x5
60% x5
(I usually do the above with max speed to get everything going)

75%x3

(After this, I just go by how my body feels, I might go up 5 to 10 pounds depending on the ease of the set. I see it find getting in a hard set for two reps and figuring out a max most beneficial).

murk01

murk01

Awards
1)1 good high Rep set.
2)1 min brake
3)set weight to about or a little below what u honestly feel is ur Max.
4) if u can lift it once, stop take 2-5 min break. Add weight repeat, until u can no longer lift. Drop it. Take a break try again. That's ur Max.

Figuring out Max's will take ur entire session.

Only increase the weight five lb at a time make sure to take long breaks in-between so that ur fully charged for next lift.

Report to AM in the am

Thank you.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
You would want to do as little as possible so you wouldn't fatigue. If you PM what weight you use for say 10 reps I can approximate . Than you try that weight if you can bench it than wait 3 mins add 5 pounds and try again . That should get you there.
thanks for all the reply guys, im going to try one today than have a few budds try the others and get their opionon. rodja, ima going to do yours because i have set weight i want anf roblasane i normally dont do reps of ten but last week i did 225 for 8

roblasane

roblasane

Awards
thanks for all the reply guys, im going to try one today than have a few budds try the others and get their opionon. rodja, ima going to do yours because i have set weight i want anf roblasane i normally dont do reps of ten but last week i did 225 for 8
Try 280 for 1 rep. If you get it add 2.5 to each side rest at least 3 mins and try 285.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
i will do bud, thanks alot! I will post the rwsults either here or in my logs... reps coming once i get on a computer

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
i worked my way up to 280 got it with decent effort so i put on 2.5 and got 285. I was debating trying 290 and the pro side of the arguement won. I got 290, it took every inch of power i had but i moved it

murk01

murk01

Awards
i worked my way up to 280 got it with decent effort so i put on 2.5 and got 285. I was debating trying 290 and the pro side of the arguement won. I got 290, it took every inch of power i had but i moved it
Good fukin job popie chewlow!

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
thank you budd!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Credit for this goes to Jim Wendler:

1x5 @ 50%
1x3 @ 60%
1x2 @ 70%
1x1 @ 80%
1x1 @ 90%
1x1 @ 95%
1x1 @ 100% or new PR.
This is very similar to what I used for the bench press and squat 1 RM testing I did for my dissertation.

It went something along these lines:
3 x 3-4 @ 50, 60, 70% with 3 min rest
3 x 1 @ 80, 85, 90%
Singles at 95% and moving toward 1 RM.

Br

SLW2

SLW2

Awards
Nice job man! How old are you?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is very similar to what I used for the bench press and squat 1 RM testing I did for my dissertation.

It went something along these lines:
3 x 3-4 @ 50, 60, 70% with 3 min rest
3 x 1 @ 80, 85, 90%
Singles at 95% and moving toward 1 RM.

Br
I knew you'd be with similar thinking to me on this topic. Far too many do too many reps and/or sets before getting to their 1RM.

Here's what I did yesterday on deads (PR was 565)

135x3
135x3
225x3
225x3
315x1
405x1
455x1
495x1
545x1
575x1

Another thing that I should have mentioned is to treat every single set with the same effort and, if it didn't feel right, then take the weight again. I apply the same force to the bar at 225 that I did at 575 and treat it with the same intensity.

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
good info here... I have been 'doing it wrong' to find my 1rm...

thanks!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I knew you'd be with similar thinking to me on this topic. Far too many do too many reps and/or sets before getting to their 1RM.

Here's what I did yesterday on deads (PR was 565)

135x3
135x3
225x3
225x3
315x1
405x1
455x1
495x1
545x1
575x1

Another thing that I should have mentioned is to treat every single set with the same effort and, if it didn't feel right, then take the weight again. I apply the same force to the bar at 225 that I did at 575 and treat it with the same intensity.
Congrats, that's a big pull. I'm still struggling to get back over 500 (I hit 500 x 3 about 5 years ago before I got obsessed with running).

I even use this similar schematic when I warm up for higher rep sets. I get much more out of 2-3 sets of 3-4 with light and increasing weight prior to a 10 RM set than doing say 3 x 15 with light weight.

Br

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
bump for my bud!

RicFlair

Awards
Rodja's reply (via Wendler) seems to be simple and spot one.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
yupppers!! its great!