Warming up in order to Max

turbolag86

Awards
Hey everyone. I want to max out on my lifts next week.

And I wanted to know what the proper way to warm up is.

In the past I've noticed that if I just do two light warm up sets then jump into my max...I'm not very strong.

It seems if I work my way up a little towards my max I can get it better.

But I don't want to over do it. I want to make sure I don't burn myself out warming up and lower my max.

Any ideas ?

Thanks !

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I think you answered your own question bud.

turbolag86

Awards
Yea I think I have a general idea...but I was just wondering what everyone else does, and if the way that seems to work for me is a good method. And how much weight should I jump up before attempting my max. For example:

I want to try 300.

So is a good warmup:

135 for maybe 5

205 for 3

225 for 2

250 for 1

then attempt 300

Does that sound like a good plan ?

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
If it works for ya. the biggest part is getting plenty of rest between sets. I usually shoot for bout 40# less then my attempt on my last warmup, but everyone is different bud. Ask 10 different people and get 10 different answers. There is no magical number imo. Try it out. let us know what happens.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
for 300 id do many small warm-ups for the cns.
ex:
45x5
95x5
135x5
155x3
185x3
205x2
225x2
245x2
265x2
285x1
300x1
I personally like to warm-up like this. Big jumps do nothing for me, but everyone is different

turbolag86

Awards
Thanks everyone for the response.

I think I have an idea of what to do on Wednesday.

I'll post my results up here...My last attempt I did 285 unracking the weight myself....So I'm hoping I'm up to 300 WITH someone helping me break the weight off the rack.

turbolag86

Awards
Ok so I maxed out everything this week....

Squat I did 405 but I wasn't deep enough....I think I had about 5 inches to parrallel...So I don't think 405 is my max on squats....Also, a guy who did some powerlifting showed me another way to hold the bar on squats and that helped a lot. So I think 405 is in sight.

I did 285 on bench.....I wanted a spotter when I was warming up but I was unable to get one until I went for my max....

I pulled 455 on deadlifts.....Started to lose my grip but I think I had a good lift.

I only have video the 405 squat attempt.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Warm ups are unique to the person in my opinion, I rarely if ever warm up

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
You want to hit a triple and a double before trying a max. At least that's what I've been doing forever.

My warm-up going for max:

135x20
225x10
275x6
315x3
365x2
380-385 for max
I rest about 4-5 minutes between sets

This way your body is accustomed to the heavier weight and you won't get that shock when unracking. BTW I would recommend unracking yourself rather than having your spotter pass the weight to you. This causes that weight shock and can throw you off mentally.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Again it's individual here's my bench example
135x8
225x8
275x6
315x3
335x2
365x1

Squats on Monday went like this
BW and stretching
135x10 stretch
225x10 more stretch
315x 8
405x6
455x3
475x1 but was Saving energy I'd usually do 2
500x 1

I wait until I feel ready to go again and push myself but not use all my energy. I dont pre set hoe much rest time I get.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Also I thing kana... And sweatlou are very good people to take advise from. Not sayin others are not but I agree with there advise.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here was my warm-up for my deads on Tuesday (final set was 425x3)
135x5
225x5
315x3
335x3
365x1 (belt on)
385x1 (belt on)
405x1 (belt on)
425x3 (belt on)

Before this, I foam rolled, did some light static stretching, and the abductor/adductor machine.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think Rodja hit another important aspect and that is prehab.
Personally I tap out quick when the weight gets moderate to heavy, so I like to make sure my warm-up is specifically related to my CNS i.e. quick explosive reps with 50-60% of my max.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
frankz2 Training Forum 6
tommy j Anabolics 25
NeighbourMike Anabolics 17
benmayro Training Forum 21
waynaferd Training Forum 4