vegan bodybuiders

gijoe69

Awards
Are there any vegan bodybuilders here? Wondering what peoples' thoughts are on the subject.

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I tried it for a while. Actually made me feel great every day and stomach/digestive system were much happier. Found it very very difficult to meet my caloric needs so have since started a pescatarian diet which works much better for me personally. It’s possible to body build while eating vegan but you better have some serious commitment and a very well thought out plan going into it.

gijoe69

Awards
I hear about the problems maintaining weight due to calories. For me,even eating the way I do, I have trouble keeping my weight in control. by no means am i a big guy,quite the oppposite in my opinion,but i get a lot of guys at the gym who say i look "really good". and i always say im almost 100 % vegan. they always look at me funny and ask where do i get my protein from. my only way to answer is i guess vegys have protein cause i dont eat meat and dont use powders.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I hear about the problems maintaining weight due to calories. For me,even eating the way I do, I have trouble keeping my weight in control. by no means am i a big guy,quite the oppposite in my opinion,but i get a lot of guys at the gym who say i look "really good". and i always say im almost 100 % vegan. they always look at me funny and ask where do i get my protein from. my only way to answer is i guess vegys have protein cause i dont eat meat and dont use powders.
Whilst beans, nuts and seeds are what i think a lot of vegan and vegetarians use for protein there is also seitan.....ridiculously high protein content (way more than meat/poultry).

Im a million miles away from being vegan but found this stuff when trying to help a trainimg friend who was vegetarian....

I agree with the above, its doable but you gotta be commited and creative in the kitchen.

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are some very good vegan protein powders out there as well as faux meat so if you can get a taste for it then you’re in the game. Some of this stuff is edible while other brands are, well....horrible.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Crickets are an amazing source of protein and relatively cheap.... dunno why you’re vegan or if this counts as an animal, just throwing it out there :)

Pride89

Pride89

Awards
  • Established
I eat vegatarian 3 days a week
Alot of home made falafels and humus! :)
For cals i use seed oils an salad and in food and avokados on everything

mike33511

Awards
  • Established
There's a big difference between vegan and vegetarian when it comes to a bodybuilder's protein needs. A vegetarian can consume dairy products, which contain whey and/or casein. Whey and casein are the 2 best sources of protein for anabolism as they both have a perfect protein digestibility-corrected amino acid score (PDCAAS).

Vegans don't have the luxury of being able to consume dairy products. In fact, very few vegan foods are complete proteins. Most also contain very low amounts of leucine, the most important amino acid for building muscle. A vegan that is serious about bodybuilding should look into combinations of foods that provide a complete protein source. Examples include: black beans and white rice, and bread and peanut butter. Do some research and you will find other examples.

A vegan protein powder can be very helpful, as well. Make sure you get a blend and not just something like rice, hemp or pea protein. These typically have very low amounts of leucine. I have heard good things about SAN Raw Fusion. Apparently, it has a good amino acid profile and actually tastes great, as well.

Crickets are an amazing source of protein and relatively cheap.... dunno why you’re vegan or if this counts as an animal, just throwing it out there :)
Crickets are definitely animals.

gijoe69

Awards
i have seen crushed up crickets. animals or not,i just find that a little......creepy. lol, i guess when i think of avocados, beans, oils, any kind of nut butter, i start to think its easy to not lose weight,and although they have some protein, obviously not the level of a protein shake. i used to do 2 grams of protein per lb of body weight years ago on a regular diet. since phasing in an almost vegan diet, ive found i actually look better. i think vegys have more protein than people think. also i blend with a vita mix roughly 96 ounces of vegys and drink that daily. im thinking theres more protein in that than i think there is.

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used to follow a vegan diet (~4 years), now I drink whey protein daily and eat eggs mostly daily ~5-6 days out of week, but i do not drink milk or eat cheese. Whey didn’t give me any issues, but i tried eating cheese about 2 months ago and got sick all night haha. Probably 2-3 times a week i’ll have a meal with fish.

mike33511

Awards
  • Established
i have seen crushed up crickets. animals or not,i just find that a little......creepy. lol, i guess when i think of avocados, beans, oils, any kind of nut butter, i start to think its easy to not lose weight,and although they have some protein, obviously not the level of a protein shake. i used to do 2 grams of protein per lb of body weight years ago on a regular diet. since phasing in an almost vegan diet, ive found i actually look better. i think vegys have more protein than people think. also i blend with a vita mix roughly 96 ounces of vegys and drink that daily. im thinking theres more protein in that than i think there is.
Vegetables, in general, have very little protein. They are mostly carbs, and the protein that they do have is not complete. Please re-read my post above. If you are serious about bodybuilding, you will not use vegetables as your primary source of protein. And what makes you think that a diet consisting of primarily vegetables is a healthy diet? Thinking like this is what leads vegans to have vitamin and mineral deficiencies, which is very common. You need to be eating a variety of non-animal products if health and building muscle are important to you.

gijoe69

Awards
my vita mix drink, although important ,is only part of what i eat,but i do consume mostly vegys. i threw my initial question out there ,i wanted to see if people were receptive to different views or if people thought it was a lot of malarky.