UFC 76 picks contest!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Jardine's body kicks did a ton of damage, too. Chuck's left side was veyr bruised by the end of the fight.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also, i have never seen so many split decision on one card.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
At this point, I could see Jonathon Ivey dry humping Fedor into oblivion.

GeneticX

Banned
Awards
Winner:The Last emperor by Brutal GnP (with elbows) against the fence)

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
BTW, how about the Griffin/Tavares exchange at the beginning of the 2nd. Flying knee, Griffin stumbles backwards, and just as Tavares is pouncing he gets blasted with an overhand. If Griffin hadn't landed that punch I think the fight would have been over. That fight was so good I watched it twice in a row.

Still think Griffin is overrated?

I want to see both of these guys fight Florian, Hermes, Lauzon, Huerta, etc. There are so many fights we need to see at 155.

ugab37

ugab37

Applied Nutriceuticals Rep.
Awards
  • Established
Anybody tally the points yet?

Man Im stoked to see Forrest pull it off. I would've liked to have seen Shogun at his best though. He looked like about 25% last night. Very strange to see him like that...

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
My muay thai coach always says a good kicker usually beats a good puncher. It goes in circles like that, like a good knee fighter usually beats a good kicker. Punch and elbow fighter can defeat a good knee fighter.

That said, I don't know why nobody in mixed blocks those leg kicks too much.

One guy I train with broke his ankle or something in class today, he was clinching with this other guy, and I didn't see it happen but it looked like they both fell down and his foot got trapped underneath. Like that japanese chic on bodog if any of you saw that one. Nasty

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I think the pace of the fights is what really gets these guys, they seem to pace themselves for the longer 10 min round and get stung a few times. Once their cofindence is shot they kick it up and gas at a faster pace. The pride guys are falling like dominoes cofidence is down and eating elbows on the ground messes any grappling strategy. I honestly think the quality of pride competitors ground game is poor, ie herring, cro crop, sho gun, nakamura, omigawa.... theres so much more urgency in the fight styles of ufc guys. It seems aparent now at 155 and 205 theres no room for error and a rediculously fierce amount of talent. Does ayone else think diego is too small for his division? nakamura showed some good heart but brutal defense and weak striking. Liddel got chopped down and forrest leg kicks like a girl.

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
What I cant figure out Anderson and Rampage were not even top five fighters in pride They both look unstoppable in the ufc. But the cream of the crop of pride struggles. I guess we will never get to see Chuck and Wandy.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rampage had a great run in PRIDE until he met Chute Boxe. Also, he is a much improved striker since those days.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think Rampage has always had the potential to be at the top, he just needed to find a new team. Probably same for Anderson in that he hadn't reached his peak. I think Wandy training with Couture's team (which was what I last heard) will come in and shake things up at the top. I've just got a feeling.

GeneticX, if you'd ever seen Ivey, you would know that I was obviously kidding. Although, you're better not seeing him.....

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think Rampage has always had the potential to be at the top, he just needed to find a new team. Probably same for Anderson in that he hadn't reached his peak. I think Wandy training with Couture's team (which was what I last heard) will come in and shake things up at the top. I've just got a feeling.

GeneticX, if you'd ever seen Ivey, you would know that I was obviously kidding. Although, you're better not seeing him.....
He suffered from the same thing as many fighters-they get complacent with their camps and do not improve. Anderson left CB and trained with the Nogs for a while before forming his own camp, Black House with Vitor and some other fighters.

GeneticX

Banned
Awards
Yes, I have seen him fight before; and yes, I was well aware that you were joking. My point was simply that I firmly believe Fedor's success is not ephemeral. He will be able to make a seamless transition due to the adaptability of his style. His only achilles heel is that he cuts easily; but hey, even Superman has his Kryptonite. Other than that, he'll continue GnPing his competition into oblivion as usual, but with even much greater ease now, due to elbows and fence stacking being incorporated into his already superfluous arsenal.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established

This pretty much says it all about Shogun.

I thought Tavares won the fight with Tyson by taking the 2nd and 3rd. I don't really see how any judge had it 30-27. It was close so I won't complain too much. Griffin seems to be the Nick Diaz of 155 with all these entertaining extremely close fights.

Anyone else think Machida would run circles around Chuck?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Machida and Chuck would be an interesting fight, but I really wish Machida would finish a freaking fight. Griffin looked solid and showed he can take a shot. That knee would have KO'd most LW's.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Here's Wanderlei after a bad joke by Alex:

I made up for it with a good one that Wandy loved.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I wonder how different training was for Shogun w/o Wand there...

There are really not any other LHWs at Chute Boxe to train with.

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
I wonder how different training was for Shogun w/o Wand there...

There are really not any other LHWs at Chute Boxe to train with.
The dude behind Wandy has me rolling
Doing his best home alone impersonation with a huge gold rope on :toofunny:

GeneticX

Banned
Awards
What a hyperbole lol! I bet he'll go into cardiac arrest if Wandy would ever get ktfo.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What a hyperbole lol! I bet he'll go into cardiac arrest if Wandy would ever get ktfo.
I did...I would rather not talk about it, again.

I am still going to take Wand in a fight between him and Chuck.

GeneticX

Banned
Awards
Yeah, I concur. I mean, they're both at the twilight of their illustrious careers, but I do feel that Wandy in particular can still be a dominant force at lhw. Although, the lack of training partners and the lack of juice concerns me a bit. (not that I'm accusing anyone of juicing, though....

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
I just watched the Chuck/Jardine fight. Chuck looked absolutely horrible. Perhaps the Iceman has melted?

I still give Chuck his props...but, maybe that whoopin he took from rampage scrambled his eggs or something.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I concur. I mean, they're both at the twilight of their illustrious careers, but I do feel that Wandy in particular can still be a dominant force at lhw. Although, the lack of training partners and the lack of juice concerns me a bit. (not that I'm accusing anyone of juicing, though....
I am not sure where Wand is training, ATM. I know he helped Couture for the Gonzaga fight, but I think he is in FL now.

GeneticX

Banned
Awards
That's excellent news. You definitely can't go wrong training with captain America. Btw, do you know if Lesnar is still training with Sherk in Minnesota? Or is he with Pat?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's excellent news. You definitely can't go wrong training with captain America. Btw, do you know if Lesnar is still training with Sherk in Minnesota? Or is he with Pat?
I haven't heard any updates about where Lesnar is training. Last I heard, he was in Cali with Royce, but that was a while back.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Sorry for the delay. The winner is Rogue Drone.

Rogue Drone-17 .....Picked Rd 1 1:00
Fatty-17 ......Picked no time?
Firefighter-15
Uga-14
Rodja-13
Brass-13
Travis-12
Alex-11
Jas-11
Size-11
Mullett-10
Reaper-10
Beowulf-9
Menacer-6

Rep Rogue

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established

I made up for it with a good one that Wandy loved.

Nicely done. They call me the cricket chirping machine round hurr.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I think the pace of the fights is what really gets these guys, they seem to pace themselves for the longer 10 min round and get stung a few times. Once their cofindence is shot they kick it up and gas at a faster pace. The pride guys are falling like dominoes cofidence is down and eating elbows on the ground messes any grappling strategy. I honestly think the quality of pride competitors ground game is poor, ie herring, cro crop, sho gun, nakamura, omigawa.... theres so much more urgency in the fight styles of ufc guys. It seems aparent now at 155 and 205 theres no room for error and a rediculously fierce amount of talent. Does ayone else think diego is too small for his division? nakamura showed some good heart but brutal defense and weak striking. Liddel got chopped down and forrest leg kicks like a girl.
Diego looked really small next to Fitch. Are they both listed at 5'11"? If so, that's funny. Fitch looked to be 4 inches and 25 pounds heavier. Diego could make 155 pretty easily IMO.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Reps to Rogue,

Congrats now lets see if you can defend that title haha

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
dude chuck looked out of shape if you ask me!! that and i really cant fukkin stand crackhead joe rogan :hammer:
Chuck looked normal to me. He really took the fight to Jardine early in the first and probably would have knocked a lot of guys with lesser chins out. I think the leg kicks and body kicks really slowed Chuck down later in the fight. Jardine was more gassed than Chuck at the end, but seemed to stay mentally strong enough.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Chuck-Shogun in Dec.?

##############################

Report at theFightNetwork.com has the story and quotes from Chuck's trainer on this.

AM UPDATE – SEPT. 24

What’s happening in the world of mixed martial arts now …

By Loretta Hunt ([email protected])
Photo Courtesy of UFC.com

If Chuck Liddell is contemplating retirement, his trainer and closest confidante John Hackleman is the last to hear about it.

“He’s already said he’ll be back in the gym next Monday,” said Hackleman, who has coached Liddell for 16 years. “He’s going to fight again, hopefully as soon as possible, maybe in December. We’re looking at ‘Shogun.’”

Along with Liddell, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua was among the casualties at Saturday night’s at UFC 76 “Knockout” at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. Rua, largely considered one of the top three light heavyweights in the world, was systematically dismantled by Forrest Griffin, succumbing to exhaustion and a rear-naked choke in the third round’s final seconds. With Griffin not even ranked in the top ten, the loss was considered a sizable upset, only matched by former light heavyweight champion Liddell’s defeat to Keith Jardine via a split decision a few moments later.

Liddell’s second consecutive loss successfully derailed a New Year’s Eve collision with former PRIDE light heavyweight champion Wanderlei Silva, who sat cageside shaking his head following Saturday’s results. The pairing of Silva and Liddell has been long sought-after by UFC president Dana White.

Popular San Luis Obispo trainer Hackleman says his camp had already been alerted that a match-up with the Brazilian Chute Boxe member could be on the horizon. In response, Hackleman approached both White and UFC matchmaker Joe Silva Saturday night to make it known Liddell’s team was favorable to the bout, which could take place as early as Dec. 29’s UFC 79 in Las Vegas, Nev.

“Chuck will face anyone they put in front of him,” says Hackleman. Due to their formidable records, a bout between Liddell and Rua would catapult either fighter back into title contention.

Speculation of Liddell’s retirement surfaced Saturday following a routine post-fight press conference where the 37-year-old deferred comments regarding his next career move and intonated he would have to mull things over.

“You’re dealing with a guy that just lost a fight, is totally depressed right after a humungous loss,” says Hackleman, who was not present at the press conference. “Of course, he’s disappointed. We didn’t get into details about the fight, especially after a loss, because that’s not the time you want to talk about it. We usually talk about it when we get back in the gym.”

Hackleman has his theories as to what went wrong for his prized student in the cage he dominated for four years till his defeat at the hands of Quinton "Rampage" Jackson last May at UFC 71.

“I think things went wrong with Keith Jardine. Keith Jardine came out and fought like a freakin’ killer," says Hackleman. "Chuck just couldn’t pull the trigger in time and was just a hair off and Jardine’s timing was perfect.”

http://thefightnetwork.com/news_detail.php?nid=4933

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I read the Chuck/Shogun rumors. Good lord this is crazy that they are both coming off loses

JZ7757

Awards
  • Established
Brad Imes a few weeks ago was the first HW to submit someone via gogoplata. Dont mess with Imes.

One thing to mention is that Imes opp. was 0-0. and i dont know how the hell Imes got that flexable. wtf....

wow....this year is def the year of the upset. FOR SURE. Some good, some bad...entertaining nontheless. :D

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
http://mmajunkie.com/2007/09/25/ufc-...ne-gets-14000/

"The total payroll for the event was $954,000.

The full amounts included:

Keith Jardine ($14,000) def. Chuck Liddell ($500,000)
Forrest Griffin ($44,000) def. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua ($150,000)
Jon Fitch ($44,000) def. Diego Sanchez ($22,000)
Lyoto Machida ($50,000) def. Kazuhiro Nakamura ($20,000)
Tyson Griffin ($24,000) def. Thiago Tavares ($9,000)
Rich Clementi ($24,000) def. Anthony Johnson ($5,000)
Jeremy Stephens ($6,000) def. Diego Saraiva ($3,000)
Christian Wellisch ($14,000) def. Scott Junk ($4,000)
Matt Wiman ($16,000) def. Michihiro Omigawa ($5,000)"

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That is horrible, absolutely horrible. I hope he got some other pay-out because that is ridiculous for a main-event fighter to have a $7000/$7000 deal.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
While obviously one fight puts Chuck in the top 1% of national wage-earners, it is nevertheless rather disparaging to look at the wage of say an Alex Rodriguez and compare it with the disproportional ability-to-wage ratio of an MMA fighter.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
http://mmajunkie.com/2007/09/25/ufc-...ne-gets-14000/

"The total payroll for the event was $954,000.

The full amounts included:

Keith Jardine ($14,000) def. Chuck Liddell ($500,000)
Forrest Griffin ($44,000) def. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua ($150,000)
Jon Fitch ($44,000) def. Diego Sanchez ($22,000)
Lyoto Machida ($50,000) def. Kazuhiro Nakamura ($20,000)
Tyson Griffin ($24,000) def. Thiago Tavares ($9,000)
Rich Clementi ($24,000) def. Anthony Johnson ($5,000)
Jeremy Stephens ($6,000) def. Diego Saraiva ($3,000)
Christian Wellisch ($14,000) def. Scott Junk ($4,000)
Matt Wiman ($16,000) def. Michihiro Omigawa ($5,000)"
So Wiman made more than Jardine???????????? Wellisch made the same?????????? Clementi gets as much as Griffin?

These numbers don't make sense. I'm guessing/hoping Jardine gets a lot of $$$$ that isn't registered with the Commission.

I assume Griffin and Tavares got the Fight of the Night bonus, which should be an extra $20G, no?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
While obviously one fight puts Chuck in the top 1% of national wage-earners, it is nevertheless rather disparaging to look at the wage of say an Alex Rodriguez and compare it with the disproportional ability-to-wage ratio of an MMA fighter.
Trying to win us over with the hot chick avator, huh, pasty boy. Why didn't you go with that other one you were considering?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Trying to win us over with the hot chick avator, huh, pasty boy. Why didn't you go with that other one you were considering?

LOL.

That other one didn't exactly fit the bill so to speak. Jessica, this one, has a cooler personality, is hotter, smarter, the whole nine. Plus, she wore a Nurse's uniform w/ fishnet stockings, and painted a piece of Ali for my B-Day. ;) All around better.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to put food in your Mother's dish (ala Chappelle) and finish powdering her ass.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
pistonpump MMA 118
Alexander MMA 54
Alexander MMA 70
Alexander MMA 38
Rodja MMA 79