Two reasons why Wand didn't win

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1. He didn't fight in Vale Tudo shorts. Ever since he made the switch to these, he has a 2-3 record.
2. This is the big one-He didn't shave his head. Most UFC watchers haven't ever seen this awesome tat

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
3. Didn't throw any knees.

But I definitely agree with #1. VT shorts are the key to striker's effectiveness. Look no further than Anderson Silva and you'll see the power of VT shorts. And then again he's also got the shaved head too. So Wand better take note.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I don't remember Wandy using knees much since Page II and it makes no sense. I hate to say it since he's one of my favs if not my fav, but I don't see Wand being a top fighter again. He's fought in too many wars and seems to be in the same place that Hughes is in with new talent flooding the division. He looked tiny compared to Liddell too.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
He didn't train at all for it. Just threw a few wild hooks... wtf?

It almost looks like the fight was staged or something.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
The guy didn't even lunge for a clinch in 3 rounds.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, he didn't do ANYTHING really. Very uninspired. Not himself....

No one is themselves anymore... I'm begining to think fights are staged now.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
He didn't do anything? What are you talking about. He dropped Liddell and won the second round IMO. He landed a lot of shots on Chuck's chin in the brawl portions, but I agree that he let Liddell dictate the pace of the fight and seemed to fear his power a little.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In the 2nd round, there was a great opportunity for Wand to Thai clinch Chuck, but he opted to strike instead of throw knees.

Minus83

Minus83

Awards
ya gotta remember that body shots dont always drop your opponent, and with only 3 5 minute rounds in the fight, im sure Wand was looking for the knockout and the win, you dont really have time to wear down your opponent, espiecally when youre already into the second round with only one more round to go.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ya gotta remember that body shots dont always drop your opponent, and with only 3 5 minute rounds in the fight, im sure Wand was looking for the knockout and the win, you dont really have time to wear down your opponent, espiecally when youre already into the second round with only one more round to go.
I take it that you have never been in a really good Thai clinch. 3 or 4 well placed knees can end a fight or at least set up a good knee to the face.

Minus83

Minus83

Awards
I take it that you have never been in a really good Thai clinch. 3 or 4 well placed knees can end a fight or at least set up a good knee to the face.
yeah, i understand that, 1 good knee to the liver or solarplexus could end a fight, i was just throwing it out there as a reason why he maybe didnt want to clinch with chuck.

noone really knows why, everyone expected him to try and get in close to chuck and clinch, and he didnt really get in close and he certainly didnt clinch.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established

Yeah, cough, cough, Franklin-Silva.

Minus83

Minus83

Awards
it also makes sense that if he saw any holes in chucks game in his last few fights it wasnt because someone was clinching with him or getting in close, they were just completely out classing him in the stand up.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
It was an excess of Brazilian Machismo, Balls overriding Brains.

Wandy wanted to prove to the world, himself?, that he could out punch the legendary Punching Iceman, stand toe to toe and beat him straight up with hands only, no tricks.

Wandy has a hard chin, he had confidence in that and his hands to outlast Lidell into the later rounds when Liddell might gas.

Maybe he could have back in '03, this year, he could not.

Nemesis RR

Awards
It was an excess of Brazilian Machismo, Balls overriding Brains.

Wandy wanted to prove to the world, himself?, that he could out punch the legendary Punching Iceman, stand toe to toe and beat him straight up with hands only, no tricks.

Wandy has a hard chin, he had confidence in that and his hands to outlast Lidell into the later rounds when Liddell might gas.

Maybe he could have back in '03, this year, he could not.
Once he saw he could take a chuck punch and that he was losing the standup I would do everything for clinch or shoot for take down. When he tried he took chuck down. His corner should have told him to forget everything else and just take him down. Getting put on your ass with someones weight on you is going to wear you down some.

Motox

Awards
  • Established
it is easy to say clinch from a spectator pt of view but chuck is good in the clinch and he is a master at working weird angles so when people try this he will beat on your head a bit I think wand will win a rematch if their is one but chuck one the fight fair. I dont think these guys get paid enough aside from chuck to throw fights

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
how about the factor of not having a ****load testosterone and dbol pulsing through his veins at the time of the fight, like he was used to.
I also think that Wandelei has had soo many wars, not to mention they way they "used" to train at chute boxe. That stuff takes a toll on your body and brain. IMO Wanderlei is one of the best ever. but its time for him to retire

Motox

Awards
  • Established
haha I agree about the juice I think a lot of the pride guys might be having this problem