TripDogs Spiritual Thread

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
just something I want to add about prayer and disappointments with it. When Jesus was in the garden before He was taken captive He prayed that if there was antother way to bring salvation to man that it be done and He be spared of the brutal death He was about to undergo. He was so stressed He sweat blood. We all know how that turned out, He went to the cross. Two things that stand out that I think are pertinent to our recent discussion is that first, God Himself, in the form of Jesus, knows what it is like to have a prayer not answered in the way we want. Second is that He also prayed not my will, but thy will, and angels came and ministered to Him, he was given the strength necessary to get through the brutal trial. When He finished praying He did not go back to the disciples scared or trembling, but with resolve telling them it was time. What we can take from that is that God knows it hurts and can be frustating for our prayers to be answered different than we expect, we can pray about that to Him, which leads into the next point of asking for being able to accept His will. And finally, look at what happened to Jesus, He went through a brutal death, betrayal, humiliation, etc., but the price He paid for us and for His faithfulness was worth it. Also, the glory He receives now and forever that at His feet every knee shall bow and every tongue confess Him as Lord. We can be assured that the suffering for Christ we share is worth it to advance His kingdom and that there is provision on earth to get us through and great reward in Heaven.

Thanks to Trip and all who participate in this thread what a great thing this is. God bless.
"On reaching the place, he said to them, “Pray that you will not fall into temptation.” He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground." Luke 22:40-44

"Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. “Abba, Father,” he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”" Mark 14:32-42

A thing that should not be overlooked is that Christ chose obedience. Christ was not a victim nor was He taken against His will. Even upon the cross He had the power of legions of angels to at an instant destroy all those who persecuted Him.

"In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death-even death on a cross!" Philippians 2:5-8

Here is what His obedience achieved:

"Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledg that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Philippians 2:9-11

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is just what helps me with a personal relationship with Christ.

Prayer is a part of it, but Biblical prayer, which takes learning. In the Bible prayer is first for Gods will to be done and our faithfulness in whatever circumstance we are in, whether good or bad. We are supposed to ask for what we want, but God never promises to always change situations or to give whatever we want, unless it is according to His will. Not having our prayers answered the way we think they should can be a major source of frustration for many believers. Looking at prayer from a Biblical perspective and seeing some of the prayers of Bible heroes can help. Look at the prayers of the Book of Acts, of Pauls request for prayers in his epistles. I wish I had the faith to pray like them.

Another part is study of the scriptures. Daily reading and thinking about what is read. Many overcomplicate Gods word, it is not that hard in most cases. If it says something is good, it is good, if it says avoid this, do your best to avoid this. Look at overall themes, how people act, their motivations, what is most talked about.

Another part for me is being an active member of a local church. Many dont like churches and with good reason (many have been hurt by people at churches, etc., put your faith in God not man, churches are full of hypocrites), but God created the local church as His way to help teach, mature, and a place of worship and service. A good, Bible believing, church is a wonderful find. I like a church that has a high standard of personal conduct (preaches against sin) that challenges the individual to grow in their faith, teaches from the Bible and only the Bible and believes in salvation by grace.

these are just my opinions, but like our physique, diet, rest, lifting, cardio, if all are present you get better results than if you skip one thing. For me, if I skip one of the above things my relationship with God suffers, prayer, study, worship and service are the keys for me.

Harry, I hope this helps.
When we ask for things in prayer, it must be from true our heart, and in the Lord's name. (i.e. "I ask this in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ".)

Also when we ask Jesus for something, we cannot ask him to change whatever circumstance without us putting any effort in as well. We must ask for the strength to make this change in our life. (i.e. Lord Jesus I really want to stop smoking, but I feel powerless. Or I need to be a better father to my son or daughter, but I have no time with work, and limited custody. I ask in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ to help me find the strength within to find the answer in my heart. If it is ment to be in your will, as I know Lord 'thy will not mine'.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I also was raised in Catholic school.

How much actual scripture study did you do?

I ask specifically because the Bible was not studied in Catholic School nor was it studied in Catholic Church Services.

I don't mean to offend but it has been my experience with Catholicism that most Catholics know very little scripture and therefore know very little of Christ's teachings, character, grace and mercy aside from what the Church wanted them to know.

As a Catholic I learned (I was not actually taught it but that was the take home message of the guilt and shame) that Jesus died because of my sin's rather than for my sins. There was no direct line to God through Christ. The relationship with God and reconciliation with Him was through a priest and confession and of course the act of contrition of the Our Fathers x10 and the Rosarys x10.

Regardless, read about and get reacquainted with Jesus again!

But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul. Deuteronomy 4:29

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13

What better time than now:

"And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”

Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

“Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.” Luke 2:8-14

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.. Hebrews 11:1
That may be the quote of the year, in my personal opinion. I was struggling with Catholisism over many years myself. I went to Catholic grammer, and High School, and very familiar with what they say, and lack there of. They never ever spoke of scripture, and I could only be forgiven through a man in a robe? I always thought that was a bit strange.

I can't stomach the "give the Lord all your money" aspect of the church either. The parish my uncle belongs to told him he needs to give 10% of his total earnings to the church, to be closer to God? WTF is that all about? The guy has 3 kids, and struggling to feed and educate them... Would God really want his kids to suffer so the priest can buy a new car? I think NOT!

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
I can't stomach the "give the Lord all your money" aspect of the church either. The parish my uncle belongs to told him he needs to give 10% of his total earnings to the church, to be closer to God? WTF is that all about? The guy has 3 kids, and struggling to feed and educate them... Would God really want his kids to suffer so the priest can buy a new car? I think NOT!
The priest at my local church stole $300,000 from the parishiners to put his boyfriend up in an apartment. His punishment... the bishop moved him to another parish.

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
We are stewards of Christs posessions/money

I grew up Catholic and have no ill will towards Catholics BUT I did have to "be transformed by the renewing of my mind" when it came to money and giving.

Tithe or tenth is given back to Christ since we are stewards. This can be where you are led to give but if we have an unhealthy relationship with money our relationship with Jesus will suffer, "for the love of money is the root of all sorts of evil". Money isnt evil, where we place it in heirerchy of importance is what matters. "Man looks on the outward appearance but God looks upon the heart"

Do we trust Christ with the tenth of all that hes given us,we should if we can trust him with our redemption...which is an eternal debt.

Once the money has left our hands (if weve prayed where the Lord of All wants us to sow) weve done our part, what others do with it is between them an God.

Heres a link that has some good info on tithing on it.

http://www.believers.org/believe/bel122.htm

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I grerw up Catholic and have no ill will towards Catholics BUT I did have to "be transformed by the renewing of my mind" when it came to money and giving.

Tithe or tenth is given back to Christ since we are stewards. This can be where you are led to give but if we have an unhealthy relationship with money our relationship will suffer, "for the love of money is the root of all sorts of evil". Money isnt evil, where we place it in our heirerchy of importances is what matters. "Man looks on the outward appearance but God looks upon the heart"

Do we trust Christ with the tenth that hes given us,we should if we can trust him with our redemption...which is an eternal debt.

Once the money has left our hands (if weve prayed where the Lord of All wants us to sow) weve done our part, what others do with it is between them an God.

Heres a link that has some good info on tithing on it.

http://www.believers.org/believe/bel122.htm
Well put Mike, and thanks for sharing the link :)

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Much love brother!! :D

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
That may be the quote of the year, in my personal opinion. I was struggling with Catholisism over many years myself. I went to Catholic grammer, and High School, and very familiar with what they say, and lack there of. They never ever spoke of scripture, and I could only be forgiven through a man in a robe? I always thought that was a bit strange.

I think this is the most important distinction in people's opinions on giving. If you feel like you are giving money to the preacher, you will probably have resentment in your heart about it. If you have a personal agreement between you and God on tithing, then you can be a "cheerful giver." In my situation, I decided to make an agreement with God. I was broker than broke and going backwards. I decided I would stand on God's word.

Malachi 3:6-12
6For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

7Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return?

8Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

9Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

11And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.

12And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.

I decided I would TEST God in this and see what happened. That is the only place in the Bible that I know of where God challenges you to test him at his word. I decided to make an agreement with God, not my preacher.

Now if you know a preacher is doing something wrong with your tithe, then you should go elsewhere. But just because a preacher encourages the parishoners to give 10% doesn't automatically mean he is a crook. Let God lead your heart on where to give and he will help you discern where to give in "fertile ground". I don't look for a return on my investment per se, but I know God provides through all my needs by Christ Jesus. I am always cheerful when giving, because I know God is my source. Did it hurt to start tithing when I was 4 months behind on my house, 15 days until foreclosure, every debt I had was at least 60 days late, my wife's income went down by half over the course of a year or two? But after we decided to let God into our situation and depend on him to get us out, he slowly started the process. Notice I didn't say let the preacher in on my situation. Now I'm sure they noticed when my tithe started coming in cash and had increased, but it's about God and me, not the church. Now I feel confident in the work of our church, so I don't feel like the preacher is just sucking money out of people.

Here is another article I found on giving, maybe it will help. But as long as you only look at tithing as giving to the preacher, then maybe your outlook might need some reflection. I'm not trying to bash on you or anything, I just know what changing my attitude about giving did for me and my family. We don't speak "we can't afford" anything, we only speak abundance. Now we aren't rolling in money in any way, but we aren't struggling. We are comfortable and not fighting with bill collectors any more. We have a peace about our finances now.

http://www.intothyword.org/apps/articles/default.asp?articleid=32857&columnid=3881

I hope this helps.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would rather buy a hungry kid a value meal at McDonalds, and watch him enjoy it, rather than toss money into a mystery bucket.

However you decide to give is your choice, and if makes you happy thats fine.

Please do not tell me my outlook needs reflection. If you looked passed everything else in this thread, and decided to point that out, maybe you need to reflect on your outlook as well.

Either way the debate about money is over now. I don't want this thread to be about debates, just support.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would rather buy a hungry kid a value meal at McDonalds, and watch him enjoy it, rather than toss money into a mystery bucket.
One final thought: I think the idea of being in a place that you can trust with your spiritual health would be a place that you would trust with your financial offering. If you can't trust it with your money you certainly can't trust it with the spiritual health.

I make my offering with a grateful heart.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
One final thought: I think the idea of being in a place that you can trust with your spiritual health would be a place that you would trust with your financial offering. If you can't trust it with your money you certainly can't trust it with the spiritual health.

I make my offering with a grateful heart.
My spiritual health is not because of a 'place', or finances in any regard. It has nothing to do with either, as it shouldn't. Ones relationship with Christ is in his heart, not his pocket, or his attendance.

moving on now...

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. Matthew 5:8

I drew a picture of that in 6th grade that I still remember. It was something that made me smile at a very young age. My favorite beatitude. :)

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I have read the thread and I support what it's about. But you are the one that brought up tithing out of no where. You are the one that said you had a problem with giving the Lord your money. I was pointing out that giving to the Lord is different than giving to the crooked preacher. I know many people that feel the way you do about tithing. And some of those people are hurting. I'm not saying you are, but I'm saying when I was in a bad spot, I read up on what God said about giving and decided to put my heart in it because God said it, not a preacher. I was just pointing out my experience and some scripture to back it up that's all. I find that your personal situation is an integral part of your personal relationship with God. Even if you don't have an official church home. I didn't mean to step on any toes.

kvothe

Awards
this thread is about Biblical truth and supporting and building up one another. Now we cannot ignore the issue of money as the Bible has much to say about it, but we should not beat each other up either. I personally tithe, give to missions and give to my church's benevolence fund. I attend a church that teaches tithing, and as I am a member I follow and support their teaching. I know where much of my tithe goes, it does go to support the pastor and paying the bills of the church and staff. Our pastor does not have a secular job, his job is to be our pastor. I want it like that, I want my pastor to concentrate on being a pastor and not have to worry about a 9-5 job. But that is my church. I know other churches say that tithing is Old Testament and that New Testament churches only take free will offerings that can be any amount. I also know of churches where the pastor has a secular job. As long as the church teaches Biblically about money it is a mark of a fine church. In general we should be good stewards and generous. I think that means we are to live conservatively when it comes to money and to make giving a priority, whether through a church or private giving. If we as Christians look at our lives and see ourselves as greedy and materialistic then we have a problem. If we can look and see a proven track record of giving and being generous and consistent then we are on the right track. For me, my church provides me with an opportunity to give consistently of my time, skills and money and it makes me be faithful in giving.

Lets not get too stuck on numbers though. Who is more giving, the person who makes a 100,000 and gives 10%, or the person who makes 20,000 and gives 3%? I bet the person who makes 20K and gives 3% sacrifices more than the person who gives the full 10%.

I guess in the end, we as believers should be generous, live humbly in reference to material things, probably below our means, give with an open heart, and with intention that the giving be to glorify God and not ourselves. It is not I that am generous, but the Lord who is merciful to give me more than I need, to give me instruction to be giving, and the opportunity to share.

A quick story, please not trying to say how great I am but to illustrate a point, I gave my tithe and weekly giving, and it does make me feel good to do so, but I was able to give some money to a poor family who does not go to that church though their grandmother does, and it was the best money I will spend this Christmas season. they wrote a note of thanks back and it is the best card I will get. So there is definite benefits of giving both to your church and just to random people.

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
The church I am attending just bought a parcel of land next door for a million dollars. I give what my budget allows. The pastor give us a quarterly update on the loan status so I know my money is being used for the good of the church and not for the legal defense of some perverted catholic priest.

Ok, I'm done complaining. I will only focus on what really matters here, my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ and His teachings.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
this thread is about Biblical truth and supporting and building up one another. Now we cannot ignore the issue of money as the Bible has much to say about it, but we should not beat each other up either. I personally tithe, give to missions and give to my church's benevolence fund. I attend a church that teaches tithing, and as I am a member I follow and support their teaching. I know where much of my tithe goes, it does go to support the pastor and paying the bills of the church and staff. Our pastor does not have a secular job, his job is to be our pastor. I want it like that, I want my pastor to concentrate on being a pastor and not have to worry about a 9-5 job. But that is my church. I know other churches say that tithing is Old Testament and that New Testament churches only take free will offerings that can be any amount. I also know of churches where the pastor has a secular job. As long as the church teaches Biblically about money it is a mark of a fine church. In general we should be good stewards and generous. I think that means we are to live conservatively when it comes to money and to make giving a priority, whether through a church or private giving. If we as Christians look at our lives and see ourselves as greedy and materialistic then we have a problem. If we can look and see a proven track record of giving and being generous and consistent then we are on the right track. For me, my church provides me with an opportunity to give consistently of my time, skills and money and it makes me be faithful in giving.

Lets not get too stuck on numbers though. Who is more giving, the person who makes a 100,000 and gives 10%, or the person who makes 20,000 and gives 3%? I bet the person who makes 20K and gives 3% sacrifices more than the person who gives the full 10%.

I guess in the end, we as believers should be generous, live humbly in reference to material things, probably below our means, give with an open heart, and with intention that the giving be to glorify God and not ourselves. It is not I that am generous, but the Lord who is merciful to give me more than I need, to give me instruction to be giving, and the opportunity to share.

A quick story, please not trying to say how great I am but to illustrate a point, I gave my tithe and weekly giving, and it does make me feel good to do so, but I was able to give some money to a poor family who does not go to that church though their grandmother does, and it was the best money I will spend this Christmas season. they wrote a note of thanks back and it is the best card I will get. So there is definite benefits of giving both to your church and just to random people.
I like this post, you made a valid point without becoming overly defensive, and confrontational. I personally appreciate posts like this 10 fold over post where people try to always be right. That gets old very fast...

Praise on my brother, and you're present to that family was probably the best gift they will recieve as well, and the best gift you gave this Christmas season. God Bless you and your family.

-Dan

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Just giving some glory to God. I got to witness,ecourage and pray for 1 of the trainers at my gym....he makes me look small. :D

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just giving some glory to God. I got to witness,ecourage and pray for 1 of the trainers at my gym....he makes me look small. :D
:bigeyes: And you are a pretty big boy! I guess you drank your milk when you were a kid Mike! Ahaha. I guess he ate the cow though. :lol:

airram479

Awards
  • Established
Just look at as your giving it to the man upstairs--not the dude wearing the robe. Besides,if there is questionable activity on where the money is going...we all know that person will be going to a dark place in the afterlife.

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
:bigeyes: And you are a pretty big boy! I guess you drank your milk when you were a kid Mike! Ahaha. I guess he ate the cow though. :lol:
Yeah he weighed in at 320 today. Power lifter build like me (kinda chunky :) )

We even hugged in the middle of the weight room after the prayer. The Holy Spirit is awesome!!

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

We even hugged in the middle of the weight room after the prayer. The Holy Spirit is awesome!!
That's 570 pounds of faith! (thank-you calculator). It's always good to know good people exist. That phone call yesterday meant the world to me. Thanks much brother. It's good to be appreciated in life, it only sterngthens the walk forward. God Bless Mike (Tiffany, Grant, and Garrett also) :)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

When my now mentor and I met it was at LAFitness. A friend of mine introduced us there, we (the three of us) prayed right there in the wide open middle of the gym and man hugged each other afterwards.

Feals real good to be a man of God sometimes!

Reactions: mw1
mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
That's 570 pounds of faith! (thank-you calculator). It's always good to know good people exist. That phone call yesterday meant the world to me. Thanks much brother. It's good to be appreciated in life, it only sterngthens the walk forward. God Bless Mike (Tiffany, Grant, and Garrett also) :)
Youve been a blessing to me also TD!!! BTW have any protein lieing around. lol

When my now mentor and I met it was at LAFitness. A friend of mine introduced us there, we (the three of us) prayed right there in the wide open middle of the gym and man hugged each other afterwards.

Feals real good to be a man of God sometimes!
Thats cool, whats even more cool is not caring what anyone else arouind you thinks!!! Its OK to have emotions, Jesus did!! :D

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety. -Psalm 18:2

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you refering to when I posted how it would be a great welcome present on PHF? lol

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established

Thats cool, whats even more cool is not caring what anyone else arouind you thinks!!! Its OK to have emotions, Jesus did!! :D
Yeap sometimes as men we have to set asside our ego and let our emotions show! It can be very humbling. Well feelings like crying or giving somone a hug, or showing love. We cant always be rough and tough!

kvothe

Awards
Yeap sometimes as men we have to set asside our ego and let our emotions show! It can be very humbling. Well feelings like crying or giving somone a hug, or showing love. We cant always be rough and tough!
amen to that. the shortest verse in the Bible is two words

John 11:35 'Jesus wept.'

this is while they were taking Him to the tomb of Lazarus. that event is a beautiful example of how much the Lord cares. though he allowed Lazarus to die by staying where he was when he received message of his illness so that he could provide further proof of him being the Son of God and to show he had power over life and death. though he knew he was about to bring Lazarus back to life and the tears of the people would be changed to joy, he still felt their pain, had the compassion and the sympathy to mourn with them, to understand the pain they were going through, even though he knew he was going to make it alright.

that is a story I like to keep in mind when things dont go my way. God is still in control, He has a plan and it will work out in the end, and He is still with me and cares that right now I am hurting, He mourns with us, He hurts with us, He cries with us, and then He takes care of us.

God bless you all my brothers.

airram479

Awards
  • Established
"I just put my faith in god's hands and sit back and watch for wherever he has plans".
Rasco

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good to see some believers here. Just believing won't save you though.

Acts 2:36-38 (King James Version)

36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

More,

John 3:1-5 (King James Version)

John 3

1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:

2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Acts 2:36-38 (King James Version)

36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

More,

John 3:1-5 (King James Version)

John 3

1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:

2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Great post! Thank-you. :)

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well said and appropriate timing. Very important ;)

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A tranquil heart is life to the body, But passion is rottenness to the bones.

Proverbs 14:30

ouTTKAst

ouTTKAst

Awards
I know it's been a page or two since any one has posted a favorite prayer. This is one of mine

Lord give all of us the strength to remember that life is so very fragile.
We are all vulnerable. We will all at some point in our lives fall. We will all fall. Help me to carry this in my heart, that what we have is special. That it can be taken from us, an that when it is taken from us, we will be tested. We will be tested to our very souls. It is these times, it is this pain that allows us to look inside ourselves.

Used to say it as a team when a player would get hurt on my college team in middle of field. I like it, reminds me tomorrow is not promised and I have to remember that I have so much to be thankful for, when ever I think my day can't get any worse. Kind of burned into my head after a good friend an team mate was paralyzed from a tackle with his head down

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Prayers are great, but unless it's your words, it's someone elses words...

I told Jesus Christ I would give my life to him, and for him, as he did for me. I would die for Jesus, and I told him my life is NOTHING without him. I mean it with every once of strength I have.

I don't need a formal prayer, I have prayers from my heart, that are special, because I make the words. The words then have much more meaning, because they are unique, and not scripted.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
why is it christmas time is the hardest time of the year, the time that makes my heart ache, I remember what was and I feel the pain again.... like I was 12 and living the nightmare all over again?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
why is it christmas time is the hardest time of the year, the time that makes my heart ache, I remember what was and I feel the pain again.... like I was 12 and living the nightmare all over again?
If you decide to live your life in the past, you will relive all the past memories good, or bad. The past is gone, and you can't change anything that already happened. let it go...

You can live in the moment right NOW. Today is all you have, and tomorrow may never come. We can't live 'back then', and we can't live 'one day'. We can only be here right now, and is the only time you can control.

If I wanted to I could sit in a corner and cry about all the family I lost, and all the people that are gone... Is that going to help me? No.

Everyone has people and things they miss so very dear to them, but those that left us wouldn't want us to sit there and mourn, while we loose our own lives. They would rather see us happy, and living in the moment.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OUCH LOLOL

That was a little rough on Outtkast wasnt it?

LOLOL

I'm sure you didnt mean that way. Just giving you a hard time :love:

Prayers are great, but unless it's your words, it's someone elses words...

I don't need a formal prayer, I have prayers from my heart, that are special, because I make the words. The words then have much more meaning, because they are unique, and not scripted.

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I know it's been a page or two since any one has posted a favorite prayer. This is one of mine

Lord give all of us the strength to remember that life is so very fragile.
We are all vulnerable. We will all at some point in our lives fall. We will all fall. Help me to carry this in my heart, that what we have is special. That it can be taken from us, an that when it is taken from us, we will be tested. We will be tested to our very souls. It is these times, it is this pain that allows us to look inside ourselves.

Used to say it as a team when a player would get hurt on my college team in middle of field. I like it, reminds me tomorrow is not promised and I have to remember that I have so much to be thankful for, when ever I think my day can't get any worse. Kind of burned into my head after a good friend an team mate was paralyzed from a tackle with his head down
Sorry to hear about your friend thats very unfortunate.

Right here is a case where a formal prayer is OK in my book. This means something to you and you can say it from your heart ,thats what makes it personal and not just a religious act.

My condolences for your pain and brokeness but take comfort in the fact that if you so choose you can be free from emptions controlling you. "For we have a saviour that is well acquainted with our sorrows" and "he came to bind the broken hearted'.

Im a survivor of generational alcoholism,physical,sexual and emotional abuses,drug addiction,divorce,fear,hate and loss in most every area of my life BUT when I decided that things needed to change IN me instead of focusing on things/people around me, the healing began.

Christ "came to bind the broken hearted" he also said "come to me all you who labor in vain and are weighed down and I shall give you rest" Thats where the journey to wholeness begins. Some need to go through counseling to process their emotions and set them free others can just leave them go but starting a relationship with the one who created emotions in the 1st place is the best place to start.

james122

james122

Awards
  • Established
Well said and appropriate timing. Very important ;)
^^this^^ and that ----> “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven". ~matthew 7:21

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
OUCH LOLOL

That was a little rough on Outtkast wasnt it?

LOLOL

I'm sure you didnt mean that way. Just giving you a hard time :love:
No, I was in no way attacking anyone. I say formal prayers , but all I was saying is -I don't limit myself to thinking they are the end all, be all. The combination is a very healthy one- spiritually speaking.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
James 1:14,15

"Each one is tried (tempted) by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin." -James 1:14,15

Mike Mowry, this sums up what you and I were talking about last night refering to issues of lust etc.

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
"Each one is tried (tempted) by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin." -James 1:14,15
Mike Mowry, this sums up what you and I were talking about last night refering to issues of lust etc.
Yes it do!!

james122

james122

Awards
  • Established
It does bring joy to my heart to see people here discussing the Word!

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^^this^^ and that ----> “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven". ~matthew 7:21
Think your looking for this one,

Matthew 7:20-23 (King James Version)

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Its all about relationship!!!

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
2 Chronicles 7:14 (King James Version)

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Galatians 5:19-21 (King James Version)

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Galatians 5:19-21 (King James Version)

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
GREAT POST! Thank-you for finding that, as it ties directly into the evolving 'topic at hand'.

I love it when people type out the words, rather than just copying and pasting half a page from w w w. holy roller (dot) com. When you type the words out you read them as you go, and alow time to absorb the message of the script. It's just like writing (ink/paper), when you see your own words, or words relating to whatever topic, it becomes much more meaningful that to simply read them.

Just my opinion.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed! Especially in today's secular humanistic anti-God world.

It does bring joy to my heart to see people here discussing the Word!