TripDogs Spiritual Thread

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Killer thread...............sorry.......continue...............

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not sure if anyone else is a fan of NeedToBreathe, but I personally enjoy them quite a bit (the lead vocalist's voice is so unique). Anyway, I was listening to WJIE, our local Christian station, and they announced that Taylor Swift chose them to open every one of her upcoming shows on her new tour.

http://www.needtobreathe.net/blog/taylor-swifts-needtobreathe/

I just thought that was really cool. Hopefully it's a chance for more believers to come to know Christ.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd like to keep this thread away from peoples personal opinions, and keep the emphasis on strength of scripture, and empowerment. Opinions are great, but just like politics, everyone has a different view, and that's fine, but this is not a debate thread.

james122

james122

Awards
  • Established
subbed for discussion, and encouragement , and fellowship, and as always to advance the gospel of my Lord and savior, not for my sake , but for His ! MARANATHA !

CRcatcher06

Awards
Thought i would share my favorite prayer. I use this every morning before workouts and after every baseball practice and game.

Its a beautiful day
God has given us this day to use as we will
We can waste it or use it for good
What we do today is important because we are exchanging a day in our life for it
When tomorrow comes this day will be gone forever
leaving in its place something we have traded for it
We want it to be gain not loss
good not evil
success not failure
in order that we shall not regret the price we paid for it
for the future is a whole string of nows.
Amen

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thought i would share my favorite prayer. I use this every morning before workouts and after every baseball practice and game.

Its a beautiful day
God has given us this day to use as we will
We can waste it or use it for good
What we do today is important because we are exchanging a day in our life for it
When tomorrow comes this day will be gone forever
leaving in its place something we have traded for it
We want it to be gain not loss
good not evil
success not failure
in order that we shall not regret the price we paid for it
for the future is a whole string of nows.
Amen
Wow, that's great! Thank-you for posting that I appreciate it brother. :)

CRcatcher06

Awards
Wow, that's great! Thank-you for posting that I appreciate it brother. :)
I am always looking for new prayers and ways to worship so i thought i would share my ways with all of you.

bluerocket

bluerocket

Awards
  • Established
New to the boards ... stumbled on this thread... thanks Trip for posting it up. I think its great when ppl who believe can hang out together and become stronger thru other peoples faith and direction thru scripture.

That song is amazing... I've never heard of them before but I want that song on my ipod :)

Thanks again and I'm "subbed" ... :)

raydog

Awards
This great....sometimes as christians we feel all alone. Let keep this thread going.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd like to keep this thread away from peoples personal opinions, and keep the emphasis on strength of scripture, and empowerment. Opinions are great, but just like politics, everyone has a different view, and that's fine, but this is not a debate thread.
:thumbsup:

kvothe

Awards
I love the posts on favorite prayers. Prayer is a great tool in the life of a Christian, and praying often and about everything is not just a privilege it is a command. I like the "Our Father" as a roadmap to prayer. It begins with our relationship to Him, praising Him, and putting the furtherance of the Kingdom and His will above our own needs. Yet it also includes our daily needs and provision, His guidance and protection, as well as our need to be forgiving. At the time when Jesus spoke these words we were all still under the law, He had not yet gone to the cross, so forgiveness was based on obedience. though we know we are now in the age of grace and our forgivness is based on the mercy of God and the redemptive work of Jesus, it is still a reminder that in this life we will reap what we sow, God will not be mocked. It is a reminder that as we have been given mercy and forgiveness and blessing, so we need to pass those on to others. A great study is to go over the Our Father line by line and look at the meaning of each line and its relation to the prayer as a whole.

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
1 Corinthians

Christ Crucified Is God’s Power and Wisdom
18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:
“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”[c]

20 Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22 Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.

26 Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28 God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him. 30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31 Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”[d]

airram479

Awards
  • Established
I am all about building with people,but it seems as if everyone here is either Christian,or Catholic. I am in no way poking fun at either,but my issue is this: I am neither,and am not affiliated with any. The more i say this on here i feel like i am going to get stomped on,or ignored by the vast majority on here.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Respect! Simple as that.

Disrespect is not tolerated. I promise.

It is obvious this threads is of like minded and like faith participants. If you can engage respectfully I will see to it that you are treated with respect. If you cannot then don't.

As well, if you would like to, feel free to generate your own thread, topic of your chooice, and share your mind and faith with like minded and like faith participants.

There is freedom of expression on this board as long as you have respect.

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
I am all about building with people,but it seems as if everyone here is either Christian,or Catholic. I am in no way poking fun at either,but my issue is this: I am neither,and am not affiliated with any. The more i say this on here i feel like i am going to get stomped on,or ignored by the vast majority on here.
You do not need a title (baptist, catholic, pentecostal, ect.) to have a relationship with God.
Or, are you saying you are athiest? (no matter, to each his own)

airram479

Awards
  • Established
I was listening to some music before i started my shift yesterday at work and the hook to the track was like this "what do believe in/heaven or hell?/you don't believe in heaven cuz were living in hell"...That resonated in my head the rest of my day,i am starting to think that heaven is what we make it to be and hell is what we got to go through to get there.

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
I was listening to some music before i started my shift yesterday at work and the hook to the track was like this "what do believe in/heaven or hell?/you don't believe in heaven cuz were living in hell"...That resonated in my head the rest of my day,i am starting to think that heaven is what we make it to be and hell is what we got to go through to get there.
In a way yes... we do go through a lot of troubling times, but hell in my mind is by far worse than this.

Peter 1:3-9
3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, 5 who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. 6 In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7 These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. 8 Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, 9 for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But I would challenge you to take this to heart:

"We can’t just make up things about God and believe them to be true just because we want them to be true. That’s not how He works. He’s not a figment of our imagination, formed and molded into who we, as individuals, want Him to be."

It is His Heaven...you might want to learn what He has to say about it. No?

airram479

Awards
  • Established
I am speaking of all the turmoil in this world as a whole. temptations that sway us away from god and keep us distracted. Yes,i am not living in hell,but sometimes it feels that way with my "treadmill-lifestyle",but i do realize that i am better off than some and am thankful for what i do have.

airram479

Awards
  • Established
I got to get ready for my 9-5...keep the thread going.

james122

james122

Awards
  • Established
In a way yes... we do go through a lot of troubling times, but hell in my mind is by far worse than this.

Peter 1:3-9
3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, 5 who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. 6 In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7 These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. 8 Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, 9 for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
AMEN.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
SKillet- your better than drugs

Great song!

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
Trip dog i think people sharing there testamonials would be cool? What you think another thread?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Trip dog i think people sharing there testamonials would be cool? What you think another thread?
If you would like to add something you are more than welcome too. We can expand the thread to 'overall support' I'm totally cool with that bro.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
I love how the prayer thread has become and maybe with the share of our testimonials could uplift somone spiritually. Its always good to Praise what God has done in our lives. Agreed? Plus bro I love hearing testimonials And how amazingly God works.

ouTTKAst

ouTTKAst

Awards
First just want to say I think this is an awesome thread and have been trying to keep on top of reading it. Find myself checking it everyday, really serves as a reminder I need to spend more time in the word everyday then wasting it on things that really dont matter. Awesome job

I am speaking of all the turmoil in this world as a whole. temptations that sway us away from god and keep us distracted. Yes,i am not living in hell,but sometimes it feels that way with my "treadmill-lifestyle",but i do realize that i am better off than some and am thankful for what i do have.
Really agree, theirs alot going on in the world to keep you away from god and keep you from living a life that you should. When I was applying to the Naval Academy I had a (mentor if you will) whos purpose was to help guide you threw the process. He was a deeply religious man and emailed alot just random quotes and things he wanted to leave imprinted on our minds. Theirs one I wont ever forget and have it printed out and framed next to my door so I see it every morning. Kind of applies to what your saying about things keeping you from living the way you should or on a treadmill lifestyle, sorry if its off topic.

What's your problem? I think I know. You see it in the mirror every morning: temptation and doubt hip to hip inside your head. You know it's not supposed to be like this. But you drank the Kool-Aid and dressed yourself up in someone else's life.

Tell the truth. First, to yourself. Say it until it hurts. Learn the reality of your own selfishness. Quit living for other people at the expense of your own self, you're not really alive. You live in the land of denial - and they say the view is pretty a long as you remain asleep. Live the lifestyle instead of paying lip service to the lifestyle. Live with commitment. With emotional content. Live whatever life you choose honestly. Get to the guts of one thing; accept, without reservation or rationalization, the responsibility of making a choice. When you live honestly, you can not separate your mind from your body, or your thoughts from your actions.

it ended with

But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear ; do not be frightened."
Take Courage
1 Peter 3:14

Really think it happens alot, I know I've done it. To worried about what someone thinks and missed a chance to really take a stand for God. Actions not bound by faith but by acceptance to individuals. Swore I would never live to please anyone else except for God again. Really felt like I was living on a tread mill to, sitting in the same spot never changing direction. Again feel like it applies.

raulob72

Awards
  • Established
Jesus is my Lord and Savior,this is a great log TD

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
First just want to say I think this is an awesome thread and have been trying to keep on top of reading it. Find myself checking it everyday, really serves as a reminder I need to spend more time in the word everyday then wasting it on things that really dont matter. Awesome job

Really agree, theirs alot going on in the world to keep you away from god and keep you from living a life that you should. When I was applying to the Naval Academy I had a (mentor if you will) whos purpose was to help guide you threw the process. He was a deeply religious man and emailed alot just random quotes and things he wanted to leave imprinted on our minds. Theirs one I wont ever forget and have it printed out and framed next to my door so I see it every morning. Kind of applies to what your saying about things keeping you from living the way you should or on a treadmill lifestyle, sorry if its off topic.

What's your problem? I think I know. You see it in the mirror every morning: temptation and doubt hip to hip inside your head. You know it's not supposed to be like this. But you drank the Kool-Aid and dressed yourself up in someone else's life.

Tell the truth. First, to yourself. Say it until it hurts. Learn the reality of your own selfishness. Quit living for other people at the expense of your own self, you're not really alive. You live in the land of denial - and they say the view is pretty a long as you remain asleep. Live the lifestyle instead of paying lip service to the lifestyle. Live with commitment. With emotional content. Live whatever life you choose honestly. Get to the guts of one thing; accept, without reservation or rationalization, the responsibility of making a choice. When you live honestly, you can not separate your mind from your body, or your thoughts from your actions.

it ended with

But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear ; do not be frightened."
Take Courage
1 Peter 3:14

Really think it happens alot, I know I've done it. To worried about what someone thinks and missed a chance to really take a stand for God. Actions not bound by faith but by acceptance to individuals. Swore I would never live to please anyone else except for God again. Really felt like I was living on a tread mill to, sitting in the same spot never changing direction. Again feel like it applies.

Nice thats awsome broheem. I dont know if i have a favorite quote.... Very neet bro very neet!

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Trip, are you a born again? This is a side of you I have not seen. Or has your faith just matured?

airram479

Awards
  • Established
I've started to try and be more tolerant of others. Even if i know that person is being an ignorant ass. Like for example: A co-worker of mine was flaming the other day at me over some stupid non-sense,i could have stooped down to his level,but instead just kept on smiling,being polite--i was amazed how quick the situation was diffused. This may be off topic,but imagine millions of others if they had this mentality.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
This is a great thread. My life has been changed since I was born again on Halloween 2004. My relationship with my girlfriend changed dramatically when we both decided to put God as the focus of our lives. Even though we were both raised in church, we weren't living right, co-habitating, and just doing our own thing, even though we still went to church, we were just bench warmers. Our relationship went from me trying to figure out the best way to break up with her and move her out of my house, to getting married on March 26, 2005. We surrounded ourselves with like minded believers, distanced ourselves from others that were just part of the problem. We changed churches to one that is spirit filled, bible teaching, (no snake handling though), and started moving our relationship and dependance on God forward.

We went through some tough financial times, but knew God was our source. I screwed up our finances bad, but found out God can still get you through if you just stay focused on him and do your part. My wife kept getting layed off at her job through no fault of hers, and her pay kept going down. We started tithing faithfully and completely, and standing on Malachi 3:10. The two most important things I learned early in our journey was the power of the tongue. I read a book called Hung by the Tongue and decided I wouldn't be the cause of bad situations because I would only speak positive and God's words. I learned about God's promises regarding tithes and giving. We were 15 days from foreclosure and had to get my dad to bail me out. We spent the next 1-2 years struggling to get back to zero, but no matter what, we tithed and gave offerings even if bills were put off. Because they were all behind anyway, we decided God got his first, then bills would get what was left. We also stood on Luke 6:38.

Fast forward to 2.5 years ago, and my wife went from making $12/hr to a job that was supposed to be $18/hr and no benefits since it was a temp contract. When she was hired, she got $20.50 and payed time off, praise God. She had that job for 2 years, and still she had direct supervisors that were always ganging up on her and attacking her. But God stayed faithfull to us. When her contract was ending, she applied at many places and many positions in the same company. 3 days before the job ended, she got called to start at a Dr.'s office doing what whe had been training people to do during her temp contract. She did take a $7 pay cut, but we eliminated a $400 car payment prior to starting so the pay difference was off set enough to not cause any problems.

So no matter what, God is faithful. His word does not return void. He is no respecter of persons. You just have to believe. God doesn't give handouts, he responds to active participants. We all know things are changing in the world rapidly. Events have been going on that the Bible talks about in the end times, so they are closer than ever. As believers, we need to do our part to spread the gospel so our loved ones and as many strangers as possible don't get left behind during the rapture. They have the chance to make it during the tribulation and even be born again, but they would be better served to not have to experience it.

I don't get to contribute much here any more, but I appreciate the group of believers here. Dr. D comes to the front of my mind because of the way he has handled certain debates with unbelievers. His tact was awesome and an example for all of us. I don't mean to step on any toes, it's just the one example I know of personally and that comes to mind.

God Bless

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Trip, are you a born again? This is a side of you I have not seen. Or has your faith just matured?
I was raised Catholic, attended schools and what not.

I just focus on my personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I say formal prayers (Apostles Creed, Act of Contrition etc.) Prefer though to pray/talk in my own words, as talking to a friend, not just repeating someones words.

Some find comfort in formality, and church and thats more than great. I still am content finding new ways to expand my personal beliefs. It's the most satisfying experience of my entire life, and I wanted to pass the strenght I recieved to as many people as possible.

"Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is a great thread. My life has been changed since I was born again on Halloween 2004. My relationship with my girlfriend changed dramatically when we both decided to put God as the focus of our lives. Even though we were both raised in church, we weren't living right, co-habitating, and just doing our own thing, even though we still went to church, we were just bench warmers. Our relationship went from me trying to figure out the best way to break up with her and move her out of my house, to getting married on March 26, 2005. We surrounded ourselves with like minded believers, distanced ourselves from others that were just part of the problem. We changed churches to one that is spirit filled, bible teaching, (no snake handling though), and started moving our relationship and dependance on God forward.

We went through some tough financial times, but knew God was our source. I screwed up our finances bad, but found out God can still get you through if you just stay focused on him and do your part. My wife kept getting layed off at her job through no fault of hers, and her pay kept going down. We started tithing faithfully and completely, and standing on Malachi 3:10. The two most important things I learned early in our journey was the power of the tongue. I read a book called Hung by the Tongue and decided I wouldn't be the cause of bad situations because I would only speak positive and God's words. I learned about God's promises regarding tithes and giving. We were 15 days from foreclosure and had to get my dad to bail me out. We spent the next 1-2 years struggling to get back to zero, but no matter what, we tithed and gave offerings even if bills were put off. Because they were all behind anyway, we decided God got his first, then bills would get what was left. We also stood on Luke 6:38.

Fast forward to 2.5 years ago, and my wife went from making $12/hr to a job that was supposed to be $18/hr and no benefits since it was a temp contract. When she was hired, she got $20.50 and payed time off, praise God. She had that job for 2 years, and still she had direct supervisors that were always ganging up on her and attacking her. But God stayed faithfull to us. When her contract was ending, she applied at many places and many positions in the same company. 3 days before the job ended, she got called to start at a Dr.'s office doing what whe had been training people to do during her temp contract. She did take a $7 pay cut, but we eliminated a $400 car payment prior to starting so the pay difference was off set enough to not cause any problems.

So no matter what, God is faithful. His word does not return void. He is no respecter of persons. You just have to believe. God doesn't give handouts, he responds to active participants. We all know things are changing in the world rapidly. Events have been going on that the Bible talks about in the end times, so they are closer than ever. As believers, we need to do our part to spread the gospel so our loved ones and as many strangers as possible don't get left behind during the rapture. They have the chance to make it during the tribulation and even be born again, but they would be better served to not have to experience it.

I don't get to contribute much here any more, but I appreciate the group of believers here. Dr. D comes to the front of my mind because of the way he has handled certain debates with unbelievers. His tact was awesome and an example for all of us. I don't mean to step on any toes, it's just the one example I know of personally and that comes to mind.

God Bless
Wow, that was very empowering, thank you for sharing. I'm glad things worked out better for you and your wife, as yes financial times are very bad. Your story is proof of the grace of Christ, and I hope many get the chance to read it.

-Dan

kvothe

Awards
I was raised Catholic, attended schools and what not.

I just focus on my personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I say formal prayers (Apostles Creed, Act of Contrition etc.) Prefer though to pray/talk in my own words, as talking to a friend, not just repeating someones words.

Some find comfort in formality, and church and thats more than great. I still am content finding new ways to expand my personal beliefs. It's the most satisfying experience of my entire life, and I wanted to pass the strenght I recieved to as many people as possible.

"Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
Trip, like what you say about prayers. Was also raised Catholic and repeated prayers and had no idea what meaning was behind them, what I really believed. I think the formal prayers and creeds are fine as long as the person understands what they are praying and that it still has meaning for them. Whether formal prayers or made up on the spot the prayer needs to be from the heart, if not it is just words.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Trip, like what you say about prayers. Was also raised Catholic and repeated prayers and had no idea what meaning was behind them, what I really believed. I think the formal prayers and creeds are fine as long as the person understands what they are praying and that it still has meaning for them. Whether formal prayers or made up on the spot the prayer needs to be from the heart, if not it is just words.
Amen brotha

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Consider what scripture has to say about prayer:

Matthew 6:5-8

“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

I was also raised in a Catholic church and school before finding Christ.

Many Christians recognize that some prayer practices in Catholicism may fall under some of the judgment addressed in the above scripture. Praying the rosary is one that comes to mind - repetitious prayer - and not to God. Although she was found worthy in the sight of God there is only ONE mediator on our behalf

As well, I too could still recite the Apostles Creed and other memorized prayers, but I never partace, when at a Catholic function, simply because I know that for me it is memorization from as far back as first grade and not authentic communication from my heart in a loving relationship with a living God.

That is just me. God knows the heart.

airram479

Awards
  • Established
That was a good post young and free. While at work yesterday i was beginning to think about gossip. I am not quite sure,but i believe in the bible somewhere it speaks upon gossip,and the potential damage it does. The environment that i work in is like a high-school playground,so many people with little or nothing positive to say about anything,but for years now i have always been giving or receiving the gossip up until recently.

My G/F put me in my place:She says to me"You know,one day you are going to be the source of the gossip,and you will she how it feels then...if it is not in your backyard,why are you even concerned about it." It was one of those times where the person is so dead-on that you can't even think of anything to say back. Now i look at that "gossiping" thing in a totally different light. For example: yesterday a snake co-worker was talking some non-sense and i was just like"I'm busy man--i don't have time right now."and just walked away.

If it is not positive,i don't want to hear it. There should be corporate regulations on gossip. If i were in charge of my company there would be. It would only take a few write-up's before the word got out that if you don't know what your talking about "Shut the heck up!!"

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
I just focus on my personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
Explain how one goes about this. And don't say prayer, because I've prayed all my life and I've done nothing but lose my faith. I wish I still had it.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Explain how one goes about this. And don't say prayer, because I've prayed all my life and I've done nothing but lose my faith. I wish I still had it.
It's nothing more than your personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I don't mean by formal prayer, I mean the way you feel in your heart, and talk with him like a friend in your own words. Just like you would talk to your best friend, no different.

kvothe

Awards
This is just what helps me with a personal relationship with Christ.

Prayer is a part of it, but Biblical prayer, which takes learning. In the Bible prayer is first for Gods will to be done and our faithfulness in whatever circumstance we are in, whether good or bad. We are supposed to ask for what we want, but God never promises to always change situations or to give whatever we want, unless it is according to His will. Not having our prayers answered the way we think they should can be a major source of frustration for many believers. Looking at prayer from a Biblical perspective and seeing some of the prayers of Bible heroes can help. Look at the prayers of the Book of Acts, of Pauls request for prayers in his epistles. I wish I had the faith to pray like them.

Another part is study of the scriptures. Daily reading and thinking about what is read. Many overcomplicate Gods word, it is not that hard in most cases. If it says something is good, it is good, if it says avoid this, do your best to avoid this. Look at overall themes, how people act, their motivations, what is most talked about.

Another part for me is being an active member of a local church. Many dont like churches and with good reason (many have been hurt by people at churches, etc., put your faith in God not man, churches are full of hypocrites), but God created the local church as His way to help teach, mature, and a place of worship and service. A good, Bible believing, church is a wonderful find. I like a church that has a high standard of personal conduct (preaches against sin) that challenges the individual to grow in their faith, teaches from the Bible and only the Bible and believes in salvation by grace.

these are just my opinions, but like our physique, diet, rest, lifting, cardio, if all are present you get better results than if you skip one thing. For me, if I skip one of the above things my relationship with God suffers, prayer, study, worship and service are the keys for me.

Harry, I hope this helps.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What exactly do you have faith in? What is it grounded in and comprised of?

Do you know Jesus? Do you know His teachings? Are you obedient to His teachings? Do you know how to be blessed?

Study who Jesus was and is.

Learn what Jesus taught.

Be obedient to His teachings.

Be blessed - affirmation of your faith!

If not than I would challenge you to question how someone can have a realtionship with someone that they do not know?

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
Consider what scripture has to say about prayer:

Matthew 6:5-8

“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

I was also raised in a Catholic church and school before finding Christ.

Many Christians recognize that some prayer practices in Catholicism may fall under some of the judgment addressed in the above scripture. Praying the rosary is one that comes to mind - repetitious prayer - and not to God. Although she was found worthy in the sight of God there is only ONE mediator on our behalf

As well, I too could still recite the Apostles Creed and other memorized prayers, but I never partace, when at a Catholic function, simply because I know that for me it is memorization from as far back as first grade and not authentic communication from my heart in a loving relationship with a living God.That is just me. God knows the heart.
A lot of Catholics fall into this predicament. I too felt like nothing was being acomplished in the catholic church, for me. It got to were I didn't want to go anymore. Too repetitve. I sought out a new church, happens to be Baptist, and I look forward to services now. If a supplement doesn't work for you, do you continue to buy it? Change!!!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In the Bible prayer is first for Gods will to be done and our faithfulness in whatever circumstance we are in, whether good or bad. We are supposed to ask for what we want,
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33

But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well. Luke 12:31

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

I will praise you, LORD, with all my heart; before the “gods” I will sing your praise. Psalm 138:1

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:6

kvothe

Awards
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33

But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well. Luke 12:31

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

I will praise you, LORD, with all my heart; before the “gods” I will sing your praise. Psalm 138:1

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:6
right on! It sounds odd to many people, and some even get offended when told they need to learn to pray, but it really is a learning process. Just as in all other areas of life, submission, putting Gods will first, putting Him and others above ourselves, that is how we should pray. It is very easy to take some scripture out of context and get very discouraged when prayer doesnt "work". God is not a genie in a bottle that we pop open when we need something done. Harry, not saying that has been your attitude or experience, in fact that was mine and I went through some tough times when things didnt pan out like I thought they would. If that does resonate with you then I hope this may help, to bring hope that you are not alone in how you are feeling, others have been through and have come out with stronger faith, but I just want to make sure to not offend as this is a thread of edification, building up, not of tearing down and holier than thou's. I think it is crucial that someone new to the faith be mentored so that things like this can be addressed. It can ease many heart aches and bumps on the road having an experienced, spritiually mature person to help explain things.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
It's nothing more than your personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I don't mean by formal prayer, I mean the way you feel in your heart, and talk with him like a friend in your own words. Just like you would talk to your best friend, no different.
Well put. However throughout the years I've talked and talked and talked, but to what seems like no avail. It's, unfortunately, an empty feeling to me.

This is just what helps me with a personal relationship with Christ.

Prayer is a part of it, but Biblical prayer, which takes learning. In the Bible prayer is first for Gods will to be done and our faithfulness in whatever circumstance we are in, whether good or bad. We are supposed to ask for what we want, but God never promises to always change situations or to give whatever we want, unless it is according to His will. Not having our prayers answered the way we think they should can be a major source of frustration for many believers. Looking at prayer from a Biblical perspective and seeing some of the prayers of Bible heroes can help. Look at the prayers of the Book of Acts, of Pauls request for prayers in his epistles. I wish I had the faith to pray like them.

Another part is study of the scriptures. Daily reading and thinking about what is read. Many overcomplicate Gods word, it is not that hard in most cases. If it says something is good, it is good, if it says avoid this, do your best to avoid this. Look at overall themes, how people act, their motivations, what is most talked about.

Another part for me is being an active member of a local church. Many dont like churches and with good reason (many have been hurt by people at churches, etc., put your faith in God not man, churches are full of hypocrites), but God created the local church as His way to help teach, mature, and a place of worship and service. A good, Bible believing, church is a wonderful find. I like a church that has a high standard of personal conduct (preaches against sin) that challenges the individual to grow in their faith, teaches from the Bible and only the Bible and believes in salvation by grace.

these are just my opinions, but like our physique, diet, rest, lifting, cardio, if all are present you get better results than if you skip one thing. For me, if I skip one of the above things my relationship with God suffers, prayer, study, worship and service are the keys for me.

Harry, I hope this helps.
I certainly do appreciate the time you put forth to elaborate on how you have a close relationship. I've actually been recommended going to a weekly service by a co worker of mine as well. It's just been so long that I've been to a mass that it's hard to get the courage I suppose for a lack of better words to attend. I suppose I wouldn't know unless I tried.

What exactly do you have faith in? What is it grounded in and comprised of?

Do you know Jesus? Do you know His teachings? Are you obedient to His teachings? Do you know how to be blessed?

Study who Jesus was and is.

Learn what Jesus taught.

Be obedient to His teachings.

Be blessed - affirmation of your faith!

If not than I would challenge you to question how someone can have a realtionship with someone that they do not know?
I went to Catholic school all my life. I have been educated very well in my day. I guess I've just fallen out of touch.

I just want to make note that I feel as if something is preventing me from having a faith once again. It's the feeling of following blindly, essentially without proof. A human emotional err I suppose, however an emotion none-the-less.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I went to Catholic school all my life. I have been educated very well in my day. I guess I've just fallen out of touch.
I also was raised in Catholic school.

How much actual scripture study did you do?

I ask specifically because the Bible was not studied in Catholic School nor was it studied in Catholic Church Services.

I don't mean to offend but it has been my experience with Catholicism that most Catholics know very little scripture and therefore know very little of Christ's teachings, character, grace and mercy aside from what the Church wanted them to know.

As a Catholic I learned (I was not actually taught it but that was the take home message of the guilt and shame) that Jesus died because of my sin's rather than for my sins. There was no direct line to God through Christ. The relationship with God and reconciliation with Him was through a priest and confession and of course the act of contrition of the Our Fathers x10 and the Rosarys x10.

Regardless, read about and get reacquainted with Jesus again!

But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul. Deuteronomy 4:29

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13

What better time than now:

"And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”

Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

“Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.” Luke 2:8-14

I just want to make note that I feel as if something is preventing me from having a faith once again. It's the feeling of following blindly, essentially without proof. A human emotional err I suppose, however an emotion none-the-less.
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.. Hebrews 11:1

kvothe

Awards
just something I want to add about prayer and disappointments with it. When Jesus was in the garden before He was taken captive He prayed that if there was antother way to bring salvation to man that it be done and He be spared of the brutal death He was about to undergo. He was so stressed He sweat blood. We all know how that turned out, He went to the cross. Two things that stand out that I think are pertinent to our recent discussion is that first, God Himself, in the form of Jesus, knows what it is like to have a prayer not answered in the way we want. Second is that He also prayed not my will, but thy will, and angels came and ministered to Him, he was given the strength necessary to get through the brutal trial. When He finished praying He did not go back to the disciples scared or trembling, but with resolve telling them it was time. What we can take from that is that God knows it hurts and can be frustating for our prayers to be answered different than we expect, we can pray about that to Him, which leads into the next point of asking for being able to accept His will. And finally, look at what happened to Jesus, He went through a brutal death, betrayal, humiliation, etc., but the price He paid for us and for His faithfulness was worth it. Also, the glory He receives now and forever that at His feet every knee shall bow and every tongue confess Him as Lord. We can be assured that the suffering for Christ we share is worth it to advance His kingdom and that there is provision on earth to get us through and great reward in Heaven.

Thanks to Trip and all who participate in this thread what a great thing this is. God bless.

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
Harry, a good place to start, read your Bible one hour a day. You'll find it's easier than you think and before long you'll be reading two hours a day. I am 45 years old and just recently read the Bible. That is what promted me to seek out a church that teaches from the scriptures. You, my friend, need something more and I can promise you, you will not find it in the Catholic Church.

Until you do establish a genuine relationship with Christ, bad things will ALWAYS seem to happen.