Training for proportions and to shrink the waist/keep it tight?

GotHuge

GotHuge

Awards
Size doesn't always win competitions.. Proportions and flow usually win shows and turn heads as you walk by people...
Classic Aesthetic bodybuilders include arnold, levrone, wheeler, etc..
Arnold, being as big as he was, had a 32 inch waist when he competed!!!!

I'm starting this thread because I'd like to hear opinions about training for these 'perfect' aesthetic proportions... What i'm mostly interested in are ways to shrink the waist to the smallest size possible AND PREVENTING it from growing. Obviously you cant change your bone structure but aside from physical limitations of your body, id like to read your input.

I've done some research and found these ways to shrink the waist:

-Lose bodyfat % to reduce fat around the waistline and the rest of the body. Well no sh**.... this should be a no-brainer. Diet and exercise are the focus of this category...

-The use of certain drugs. Some suggest that once you get to around 7-8% bodyfat, the use of cutting drugs (including DNP, T3, Clen, Albuterol, Tren, test prop, Anavar, list goes on...) is necessary to go further and beyond to keep on shrinking the waist and shredding overall fat while also maintining muscle. I couldnt imagine anyone who would go to those extremes, but say if you wanted a 29" waist and your 6"1... Unless you are a complete ectomorph, its going to be quite a difficult thing to do, and its easy to get desperate & turn to drugs...

-Go for the V-taper (wide shoulders/back high traps). The idea of this it to focus more on isolation exercises instead of compound movements so you can control localized muscle growth in the right areas that need it so you can create the "illusion". Someone even suggests keeping deadlifts and squats to a minimum, because they increase the size of your stomach.... not sure if this is true

-Stomach Vacuum exercises. These are suggested by many, i still have no clue if the effects are long-term or temporary.

-Regular sauna visits. Someone suggested the Sauna is good for ridding your body of excess water or something like that...

-Wearing belts and/or corsets. Ronnie Coleman did this apparently. Corsets were popular in the early 20th century and normally used by women to keep the waist extremely small and tight. Some women actually became unconscious because the corset was so tight it could not let them fully breathe. Is there any actual evidence that wearing belts/corsets really do cause long-term shrinkage of the waist?

-AVOID TRAINING ABS AND OBLIQUES! Apparently, your obliques get big and bulky very very quickly as well as your abs when doing weighted ab exercises... I know some of you have seen the infamous "roid belly" where a bodybuilder has very low bodyfat, but yet he looks 6-months pregnant because he has a protruding gut that sticks out. There are many theories on why bodybuilders obtain a "roid belly": one being the use of HGH because it "grows your internal organs and muscle fibers" (no idea if this is true). Another being they eat a ton so their stomachs extend outward (again, notsure). Another saying its just genetics and not everyone can have a flat stomach (?) list goes on... And also many suggest NEVER using mass gaining orals such as Dianabol or Anadrol as they can cause a similar effect...

What do you guys think of these points here? Agree? Disagree? Have anything to add? I'd appreciate any input

-GH

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A lot of ppl seem to go after the V taper method....it doesn't even mean your going to have a thin waist....but this is bodybuilding so it's about the illusion....i've heard rich gaspari talk about it, he recommended various side shoulder exercises to get ur shoulders to appear wider which then makes the mid section look more slim

the sauna and belts work if your trying to rid water or are going to compete soon....long term they probably won't do much

i've also heard ppl not doing oblique work because they are worried about it making their sides appear wider....of if they do oblique work they'll stay light or no weight for any of the movements....but it's all opinion becuase other ppl still do all their ab work

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The "roid belly" is likely a product of increased visceral fat accumulation.

The best way to decrease the size of your waist is to reduce fat, especially visceral fat if you are already lean, and to perform bridge and anti-rotation/flexion exercises.

GotHuge

GotHuge

Awards
A lot of ppl seem to go after the V taper method....it doesn't even mean your going to have a thin waist....but this is bodybuilding so it's about the illusion....i've heard rich gaspari talk about it, he recommended various side shoulder exercises to get ur shoulders to appear wider which then makes the mid section look more slim

the sauna and belts work if your trying to rid water or are going to compete soon....long term they probably won't do much

i've also heard ppl not doing oblique work because they are worried about it making their sides appear wider....of if they do oblique work they'll stay light or no weight for any of the movements....but it's all opinion becuase other ppl still do all their ab work
You can always make your shoulders wider to create the illusion; but this thread is focused on ways to shrink the actual waist itself.

-GH

The "roid belly" is likely a product of increased visceral fat accumulation.

The best way to decrease the size of your waist is to reduce fat, especially visceral fat if you are already lean, and to perform bridge and anti-rotation/flexion exercises.
What is the difference between visceral fat and body fat? My coach competed @ 4% bodyfat but he still had a "roid belly". And he claims HGH to be responsible for it

-GH

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Visceral fat is beneath the abdominal wall. Its likely that the use of AAS did contribute to it, though I would place more of the blame on testosterone based derivatives.

Br

GotHuge

GotHuge

Awards
Visceral fat is beneath the abdominal wall. Its likely that the use of AAS did contribute to it, though I would place more of the blame on testosterone based derivatives.

Br
How does a person get rid of visceral fat once it has accumulated?
This may be of concern to me in the future...

-GH