Training for beginner

MikeWay

Awards
Hello everyone. I recently joined the community, I and beginner, and I've come here to seek advice. Looking for a decent starting workout program as well as information on how to eat properly and so on.
Something 'simple' enough to get good outcomes, as well as someone to explain. If you know of any useful articles about nutrition on this forum, please share them.
Thanks in advance.

klbsa

klbsa

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Welcome and congrats on your decision to start the road to becoming a super human and not be a regular POS like 99% of the population. I've been training for about 27 years or so (minus a 4 year hiatus from 2017-2021) and I have learned a lot through trial and error.

Results from training are different for different people...... To best get started with good advice I would need to know your basic info......Age, height, weight, body type, exact goals, lifestyle etc.....

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm a big fan of full body workouts 3 times a week for beginners.

Bench
Squat
Pull down or row
Shoulder press
And then pick 1 or 2 arm exercises if you got time.

I like to have guys focus on getting as strong as possible in the 6-10 rep range and the high frequency helps you get good at getting your form correct.

It's not uncommon to see guys add 50-100lbs on there lifts in 6-8 months on routines like this before switching over to a more bodybuilding style training.

Build the foundation of strength and learn about proper diet

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Awesome and welcome to the forum.

For beginners, i often see if they follow a program they fall off the wagon.

I personally just recommend just get in a training session .. keep it simple like smont had recommended above.

natureman4

Awards
Focus on multi-joint compound movements like Smont said. If you don't know how to do them safely, find a friend or trainer who does and can observe you and give feedback, or at least study a few form videos for each exercise on youtube. As far as diet goes, find an RMR calculator online to estimate baseline caloric needs factoring in your activity level and then add 500 on top of that. I like this guy's videos and advice a lot (not a rep for him or anything):

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I’ve been training a long time and the basics still win: squats, deadlift, rows, presses, pull-ups, push-ups, dips, lunges, arms. You don’t need anything fancy. As stated above 3 days a week full body. I highly recommend nailing down form first before adding weight and I believe in fullest range of motion possible. I personally wouldn’t worry about macros but instead eat healthy focusing on protein intake at each meal. Lastly, don’t become one of those quarter squat guys. Squats are hard and you will reap more benefits from a full range of motion. I’m not impressed with 415lbs for a quarter squat, give 225lb ass to grass and you got my attention.

MikeWay

Awards
Welcome and congrats on your decision to start the road to becoming a super human and not be a regular POS like 99% of the population. I've been training for about 27 years or so (minus a 4 year hiatus from 2017-2021) and I have learned a lot through trial and error.

Results from training are different for different people...... To best get started with good advice I would need to know your basic info......Age, height, weight, body type, exact goals, lifestyle etc.....
Thank you!
I am naturally quite skinny. My ex used to bully me all the time for that.
I didn’t exercise before. Since March I am jogging a couple of times a week.
Male, 33 y.o., 69 in, 143 lbs

klbsa

klbsa

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Thank you!
I am naturally quite skinny. My ex used to bully me all the time for that.
I didn’t exercise before. Since March I am jogging a couple of times a week.
Male, 33 y.o., 69 in, 143 lbs
Keep jogging.......and my lifting advice is to train every other day. The key to stimulating grown within your muscles is to make sure that you go to complete failure at the end of each set (except for your warm up sets) For me the best way to see progress is to train for strength. When my strength increases my muscle size tends to follow. Make sure you do a light weight warm up set ( or even 2 sets) to get the lood flowing to the area to avoid injuries.

Also, another huge factor is sleep. I learned over the years that If I don't get at least 7 hours of sleep a day I will barely grow.

Diet is the most important of all...... Sugary foods have lots of calories but inhibit growth. It's ok to have a little junk once in a while but be conscious of your sugars and refined carbs. Ditch white bread for multi grain bread. You will want to eat as much as possible while at the same time eating as much healthy food as possible. Get into the habit of packing a cooler of food each morning to take with you to work every day. If you need to sweeten things like yogurt or coffee, use Splenda...... It's the only calorie free sweetener that has no history of liver damage or cancers. Be sure to eat AT LEAST 100 grams of protein a day.

natureman4

Awards
I would strongly encourage not training to failure on heavy compound movements for at least your first 3-6 months. Failure is defined as a breakdown of proper form, and it takes experience to learn how to approach that with heavy compound movements safely. Training to failure without first developing really solid technique risks injury. Your muscles and nervous system will also recover quicker if you stop each set when you still might have 1 or even 2 reps left (while still pushing yourself), and you'll be more likely to be able to give it your full effort 2 days later. You'll still make plenty of newbie gains. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I would strongly encourage not training to failure on heavy compound movements for at least your first 3-6 months. Failure is defined as a breakdown of proper form, and it takes experience to learn how to approach that with heavy compound movements safely. Training to failure without first developing really solid technique risks injury. Your muscles and nervous system will also recover quicker if you stop each set when you still might have 1 or even 2 reps left (while still pushing yourself), and you'll be more likely to be able to give it your full effort 2 days later. You'll still make plenty of newbie gains. Good luck and have fun.
This 100%. There is no reason to lift to failure if your just starting out. In fact I would stay in the 10-12 rep range for almost everything, work in form, and build a base. Then work into the 8-10 or 6-8 rep range. There is also no reason to “max out” in anything for a while.

klbsa

klbsa

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I agree to a point….. I think that for me it works best if I go to failure on one (The final) of the 4-5 sets I do.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I agree to a point….. I think that for me it works best if I go to failure on one (The final) of the 4-5 sets I do.
He's a true beginner though and it doesn't sound like you are.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hello everyone. I recently joined the community, I and beginner, and I've come here to seek advice. Looking for a decent starting workout program as well as information on how to eat properly and so on.
Something 'simple' enough to get good outcomes, as well as someone to explain. If you know of any useful articles about nutrition on this forum, please share them.
Thanks in advance.
My suggestion would be similar to @Smont, except the plan I prefer is:
Workout A:
Bench or Push Ups
Row
Squat
Lateral Raise
Curls

Workout B:
Deadlift
Standing Overhead Press
Pull Up
Triceps Pressdowns

On Monday, Wednesday, Friday, alternate the workouts like A/B/A on week 1, B/A/B on week 2, repeat.
First week, do 1 working set per exercise, 8-12 reps. Second week, 2 working sets per exercise, 8-12 reps. Third week and 4th week 3 working sets of 8-12. Avoid failure the entire time like others have mentioned. After the 4 weeks, a few extra vanity exercises could be added like shrugs, push ups, ab work, rear delt flies, etc. I like this plan if you have poor recovery like I do. I get excessively sore from even something this simple.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
He's a true beginner though and it doesn't sound like you are.
I agree, someone who is completely knew to weight training should not be trying to get to failure on anything, it's a lot of risk for very little reward. There going to make a ton of progress through basic progressive overload. As long as the weight on the bar is moving and form is good there gonna make a crap load of progress