Comments please on my beginners training schedule

Stretchio

Awards
Hi Guys - What do you think of my schedule. To note I am just beginning weight training properly at age 34. I am in good physical fitness and eat a very clean diet.

I am doing two workouts. With 1 or 2 rest days in-between depending on my work schedule. I am not strong enough to do pull ups or dips at the moment so please do not add these! They are for phase 2!

Workout 1 =

Super set - Dumbell Deadlift / Dumbell Row
Super set - Lat pull down / Single leg dumbbell deadliest (both sides)
Super set - Bicep curl dumbell / Body weight squats to failure.
Plank to failure

Workout 2 =
Super set - Dumbell Squat / Dumbell bench press
Superset - Dumbell shoulder press / Tricep extension
Crunches

I generally do 3 sets x 10-12 reps but sometimes mix it up with higher reps / low weight, higher weight / lower reps.

Any comments graciously received as I am enjoying the science and research behind formulating a good starter workout.

Plan is do do the above for 2 months before mixing it up.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
How many days are you able to commit to training a week? I would stick to a proven plan, especially when you're starting off. As stated above, starting strength is a good one, and there are lots of proven programs out there. If you can't do pullups or dips, and the split calls for it you can sub out for a different exercise.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
OP appears to be working out at home with just dumbbells available.

In regards to your superset pairings I like to use opposing muscle groups within each pair, or a push and a pull.

Just be sure you are progressing, track progress and bump up the weight as you go.

Invest in a simple bar and plates when you can, but I got pretty far myself with just dumbbells, a bench, and a doorway pull-up bar when I started out.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
A pull-up bar is $20 for a doorway version and will really help accelerate upper body strength and growth.

Stretchio

Awards
Hi guys. I can train 7 days a week! I have access to a gym also - I work offshore so the gym is the only activity apart from sleep! I'll have a good look at those programs later tonight. I just want something easy to follow being a beginner!

Stretchio

Awards
I like the dumbells because it's quick instead of messing with barbell. They have some 30kg ones so I'm failing before 12 reps on all exercises other than squat.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Ideally at least 1 day a week for each squats and deadlifts you should be loading up a barbell.

Stretchio

Awards
Thanks for advice guys. I have purchased the Greyskull LP. Reading through it is exactly what I was looking for!