Tossing Weight With Torobestia: Powerlifting Log

Joe_P

Awards
Nice log. Nice lifting and well though out training cycle. A couple things, I agree with your idea on training to failure. I was a mid 600 puller and if I ever had to grind one out or miss one in the gym I considered that a bad day. Even if I got it. It as tough on the CNS. Also Paul is correct when doing overhead's make sure you finish like an OLY press with the body perpendicular to the floor not leaning back. Two exercises that are great for my overall shoulder health are chins, and standing strict OHP.

napalm

napalm

Awards
That session looked rough toro, nice pressing...

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice log. Nice lifting and well though out training cycle. A couple things, I agree with your idea on training to failure. I was a mid 600 puller and if I ever had to grind one out or miss one in the gym I considered that a bad day. Even if I got it. It as tough on the CNS. Also Paul is correct when doing overhead's make sure you finish like an OLY press with the body perpendicular to the floor not leaning back. Two exercises that are great for my overall shoulder health are chins, and standing strict OHP.
Hey, Joe, welcome.

There are many experts that share your view on straining as well. Dan Green is a large advocate of not starting cycles with weight that makes you strain because he thinks you hit a wall faster. Of course Jim in 5/3/1 goes above and beyond to drive a similar point, too - start low, give yourself lots of room to make progress. Well, I guess that's not exactly what you're saying, but it is similar. Anyways, this new deadlift training has helped me bring my deadlift from a 7 second grinder to a smooth, 1-3 second lift, which I'm glad about.

Yeah, I'm working on my OHP form. I lock the weight out ok, but it's just remembering to keep my torso rigid when I first press the weight up.

That session looked rough toro, nice pressing...
Strong everything man
Thanks, guys! As I mentioned once before there's something about upper body days that are just very fun to me these days. I think it's the diversity of movements, but I'm not sure. It's catching up to deadlift day in terms of fun factor. It's the goodmornings that are closing the gap :p

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
10/09/13

SQUAT 3s

Super squat hip mobility pre, PVC ITB and adductors, upper and lower back, lats. LXC upper body

SQUAT
145-5,5
235-5
285-3
300-3
340-3
385-3
415-2

REVERSE BAND SQUATS
415-5
465-4 RPE 9

SSB DEAD SQUATS
300-8x1 <-- 45 seconds between singles

[video=youtube;T8e36fP_d6Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8e36fP_d6Q&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Cut my workout here. I am headed out for the weekend and wont be back until Sunday. I decided I dont want to push my whole workout schedule out of wack, so I will come in Friday morning to do my deadlifts. That gives me 36 hours less of recovery, so I didn't do any speed deads, hamstring, or unilateral leg work in an effort to conserve just a bit by not killing the volume. I did give it my all on these exercises.

EDIT: forgot to mention, I've apparently forgotten about the cue to spread the floor, probably one of the most basic ones for squatting. I tried doing it today and it helped so much. To me my squats look a lot better on film now because of it. Thing is, some of these squats were done with my toes pointed out as I've been doing recently. I think it's better for me to point my toes forward like I used to with chucks because it makes spreading the floor easier. Hard to do with the toes out.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
10/10/13

OHP 3s

Upper body mobility stuff

SPEED FLOOR PRESS
135-8 for warmup, 3 explosive
185-3
200-5x3 <-- 45 seconds between reps

OHP
110-3
125-3 <-- right elbow feeling swollen
140-6 <-- right elbow feeling off, shoulders rolling forward
110-14 <-- right side really tight now, upper right trap tight

Stretched upper traps, LXC SMR on pec minor and delts, band dislocations, problem gone

PRONE PULLUPS superset BAND FACEPULLS
BW-5x10 <-- easy
red bands-5x20

GIANT SET: LATERAL RAISES, EZ CURLS, BAND PUSHDOWNS, CABLE DECLINE FLIES
25-17,17,17,17
95-12,12,12,10 (weight misloaded, but extended eccentric, feels better this way)
high choked average band-15,15,15,15
75-12,12,12,12

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I got in my deadlift workout last week. It was in the morning, and the session was rushed because I was on a timeline and had to head out of town by a certain hour to drop my mom off at the airport. Afterwards, I spent the weekend with the gf and had a really great, fulfilling time. Sunday, I didn't get back home in time to get to the gym while people were still there, and I wouldn't have felt comfortable attempting to PR on the bench by myself especially as my strength levels are still recovering from the meet, so I put it off until today.

Anyways, I have vid from this session, and I will upload it later and share it when it's uploaded.

10/11/13

DEADLIFT 3S

Super squat hip mobility preworkout, PVC ITB and adductors, upper and lower back, lats, LXC upper body, band dislocations mid deadlift workout to loosen up shoulders

2" DEFICIT DEADLIFT
135-1
225-3
315-3
405-1
455-1
495-2 <-- +5lb PR
Real happy with this. As some of you remember I did 490 a few weeks ago, and while I was happy to have hoisted such large weight comparatively I was not happy with the sloppiness of it nor how it felt. Since it was something like a 40-50lb PR I decided to stay close to the weight and try to perform it better. I was really happy with these pulls Friday. They felt real good, and they looked good.

CAT DEADLIFTS
380-4x4

SPEED SSB SQUATS (Narrow, Paused)
305-8x2 <-- 45 seconds between sets

I had to leave at this point. No goodmornings or ab work. I made up for the lack of core work by doing some hip flexor and glute activation drills with my gf this weekend ;)

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
From my deadlift session.
[video=youtube;vCRjplW-Vk8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCRjplW-Vk8[/video]

I benched today. I'll post my entry once the videos are edited and uploaded. Maybe tomorrow. Man, today took way too long, lol. I was in the gym for 3 hours (including mobility work and such) and that was with trying to rush things.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How tall are you man? Looks like you'd have to reach without the deficit. Strong pulling regardless. Just he careful on those bc it looks like your low back rounds a hair. Granted it's some heavy ass weight.

I know that feel of taking forever in the gym. I feel like on days before work I have to rush...but it is a lifters temple.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
495-2 <-- +5lb PR
Real happy with this. As some of you remember I did 490 a few weeks ago, and while I was happy to have hoisted such large weight comparatively I was not happy with the sloppiness of it nor how it felt. Since it was something like a 40-50lb PR I decided to stay close to the weight and try to perform it better. I was really happy with these pulls Friday. They felt real good, and they looked good. )
Light weight baby...! Nuttin' but a peanut
Good stuff dude, strong assss loooong pullin'
Lovin' the motivation

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
495-2 <-- +5lb PR
Real happy with this. As some of you remember I did 490 a few weeks ago, and while I was happy to have hoisted such large weight comparatively I was not happy with the sloppiness of it nor how it felt. Since it was something like a 40-50lb PR I decided to stay close to the weight and try to perform it better. I was really happy with these pulls Friday. They felt real good, and they looked good. )

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lovin' the motivation
Haha yeah, the angle also makes the distance look hilariously long.

By the way, Rob, I'm 6'3.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
10/14/13

BENCH 5/3/1

PVC upper and lower back, lats, LXC upper body, band dislocations, band pushdowns 2x15, facepulls 1x20

BENCH, PAUSE LAST REP
135-5 slow to warm up, 5 explosive (all subsequent reps done explosively)
185-5
235-5
270-3
300-1
325-1+1 assisted (he got a little excited on the assist)
300-4

FLOOR PRESS
265-8,7,6

CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESS
235-11*

BENT OVER BB ROWS superset BAND PULLAPARTS
285-5x10 <-- side note, I think this is a PR by a lot
red bands-5x20 <-- 1 count pause at contraction

ROLLING DB EXTENSIONS superset HAMMER CURLS superset BAND FACEPULLS
60-10,10,10,10
60-10,10,10,10
red bands-15,15,15,15

*I strained my pec in some fashion here. No bruising, but it feels like someone hit it with a hammer (the affected area is the size of a half-dollar coin, or the face of a hammer) and it's sensitive to the touch. I'm thinking I might have to skip my speed bench/OHP day or at least just do the back and arm work.

I'll post a video of the session when it's uploaded.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Keep an eye on that being a recurring issue with CGBP. I've seen in places where some people had to scrap that exercise because it kept happening. Nice session, though.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah or just go to a pin set up, like 3 or 5 board pressing when using the CGBP's. You still get good tri input.

Joe_P

Awards
I have had my shair of pec strains and I am dealing with one now that just won't get right I have never had one from doing close grips though. I usually get them from trying to squeeze out heavy reps. This was the first one I ever got on a single.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Keep an eye on that being a recurring issue with CGBP. I've seen in places where some people had to scrap that exercise because it kept happening. Nice session, though.
Oh interesting. It's funny because a lot of guys, famous ones including Misha Koklyaev and Brandon Lilly, moved their grip in closer as they accumulated injuries on the bench in an effort to make benching more pain free.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh interesting. It's funny because a lot of guys, famous ones including Misha Koklyaev and Brandon Lilly, moved their grip in closer as they accumulated injuries on the bench in an effort to make benching more pain free.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah or just go to a pin set up, like 3 or 5 board pressing when using the CGBP's. You still get good tri input.
True, or I could even use JM presses. I just liked the CGBP because it's similar enough to a bench that it should have really great carryover all around. Throwing on some boards shouldn't be an issue. I could even use the slingshot, which we have. That would be fun, lol.
I have had my shair of pec strains and I am dealing with one now that just won't get right I have never had one from doing close grips though. I usually get them from trying to squeeze out heavy reps. This was the first one I ever got on a single.
Damn, sucks to hear man. I saw that on your log. Hope you resolve it soon. I hope mine resolves soon as well.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Some find they have to move closer, some find they have to move wider. I'd say I've heard of far more cases of people having to move closer, but maybe you're an exception. Love the slingshot and/or boards idea.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
10/17/13

SQUAT 531

No super squat hip thingy. Just PVC upper and lower back, lats, ITB, adductors, LXC upper body, LXC glutes, rocking frog stretch, hip circles 10 forward/10 backward

SQUAT
145-5
235-5
285-3
325-4
360-3
405-1
455-1 <-- deep, fine on the way down ugly on the way up
video captured of this lift

REVERSE BAND SQUAT (doubled minis)
465-2 <-- stopped, felt a little burnt out (did 4 last week), shut it down

SSB DEAD SQUATS
325-8x1 <-- 30 seconds between singles
Figured out I really wasn't breathing well before executing these, need to fix that. Once I did these felt much better

RUSSIAN KNEE CURLS
BW-8 rest-pause 4 rest-pause 2 <-- 12-15 big breaths between sets

LUNGES
BW-15,15 <-- hard, lol

That's it, folks. Skipped deadlifts again thinking I may want to save some, plus I wanted to throw in some unilateral work. I think I've developed some imbalances in my hip which translated into a pretty ugly squat. This is also in part because I can never get the 55lb bar right on my back. Apparently it was at least an inch or 2 lopsided :\ Stuff to work on...

By the way, hips felt unusually labile today. That was interesting, as I haven't done any special stretching for this.

I only have video of my 455 squat as I was out of batteries. I'll upload it at some point. Still have to upload my bench ****.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That bar gets crooked on my all the time all the time too. I chalk the center of it and line my head up with it as I go under the bar.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That bar gets crooked on my all the time all the time too. I chalk the center of it and line my head up with it as I go under the bar.
Where I mess up is when I dig the bar down into my traps/delts. I line it up with the forehead also, get the bar on my back, it's fine, then boom, it's ****ed up. Stupid shoulders :( I'll make a better effort to work on this. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Where I mess up is when I dig the bar down into my traps/delts. I line it up with the forehead also, get the bar on my back, it's fine, then boom, it's ****ed up. Stupid shoulders :( I'll make a better effort to work on this. Let me know if you have any other ideas.
It's a bitch. I hate any other bar now, though.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Squat bars are definitely too awesome to not use.

Here's the squat vid from tonight:
[video=youtube;nxaDVmRT7os]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxaDVmRT7os&feature=youtu.be[/video]

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
455 with no wraps, ain't bad, man. Drive that head into the bar the whole time! Looks like you lost that for a split second maybe 3/4 of the way down. That's the only thing I can see, and even that was a bit of a reach.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
455 with no wraps, ain't bad, man. Drive that head into the bar the whole time! Looks like you lost that for a split second maybe 3/4 of the way down. That's the only thing I can see, and even that was a bit of a reach.
Definitely noticed this. I also have a problem of not initiating the ascent with my upper back. Since forgetting this I'm finding it nearly impossible to remember this on a consistent basis.

Sean suggested moving my feet in, and I agree. I thought my stance was the one in the thumbnail for the vid, but at the last second I actually move it out a foot's width each side. I think if I moved that in I could engage the glutes better.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely noticed this. I also have a problem of not initiating the ascent with my upper back. Since forgetting this I'm finding it nearly impossible to remember this on a consistent basis.

Sean suggested moving my feet in, and I agree. I thought my stance was the one in the thumbnail for the vid, but at the last second I actually move it out a foot's width each side. I think if I moved that in I could engage the glutes better.
I would agree with that. Wide and raw generally don't go well together unless the person has trained in gear for a substantial amount of time. It looked in that rep like you wanted to use your quads, but you really can't do that as well that wide, (I don't care what Louie says on the matter, that's my belief).

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would agree with that. Wide and raw generally don't go well together unless the person has trained in gear for a substantial amount of time. It looked in that rep like you wanted to use your quads, but you really can't do that as well that wide, (I don't care what Louie says on the matter, that's my belief).
This. Bigtime. Reference: Dan Green (though he is a bit wider because he's mobile as ****, he mentions the use of quads)

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Reminds me of the CAPO meet 2013. Everyone but Brandon Lilly from the states squatted wider than they ever had, and I think everyone who did experienced some serious knee valgus on the ascent which I had never seen before.

Your right on wide stance. This is great for people with really strong abductors since you load these far more on wide squats and shift emphasis away from the quads. Problem is if you don't have the strength to support that then you just cave in and things get ugly.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I squat wide.

Less quad, yes. But for me (currently) it's way stronger.

That's why I've been doing a lot of emphasis on narrower stance with assistance so that I can build it to where it will be the stronger of the two and I can start squatting narrower.

Which, I hope, will help with the wear and tear on my knees.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I squat wide.

Less quad, yes. But for me (currently) it's way stronger.

That's why I've been doing a lot of emphasis on narrower stance with assistance so that I can build it to where it will be the stronger of the two and I can start squatting narrower.

Which, I hope, will help with the wear and tear on my knees.
How wide do you squat? I don't think I've ever seen you squat from the front.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That is pretty wide. It's working well for you, though. You never know, your mobility and posterior chain improve and you keep getting thicker, you might have to go wider. It's a neverending battle. I'm always finding tiny adjustments and making them and then assessing them. Sometimes the adjustment is mental and it feels better, then I go back to the tape and nothing has changed. You guys have seen me bench three completely different ways. It's important to stay in tune and keep abreast of your body, it's constantly changing.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol herder said breast

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol herder said breast
I love everything about breasts. Except skinless chicken breasts. Those need barbecue sauce. Now I'm wondering what all the other varieties of breast would be like with barbecue sauce...

...must...find...prostitute.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here's the bench vid from Monday
[video=youtube;jy6Al82wLU4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy6Al82wLU4[/video]

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chest is feeling pretty solid today. I will go ahead and plan on doing my speed work. I think after my speed work I might throw on the slingshot and work up to a heavy something, maybe a heavy double or triple. I dont know, however, if I'll do my ohp. We'll see how I feel warming up.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chest is feeling pretty solid today. I will go ahead and plan on doing my speed work. I think after my speed work I might throw on the slingshot and work up to a heavy something, maybe a heavy double or triple. I dont know, however, if I'll do my ohp. We'll see how I feel warming up.
405 w/slingshot.

Do it.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
405 w/slingshot.

Do it.
They're supposed to be floor presses.

I think I'd die or become superman if I did that, haha.

I'll either report back that I'm superman, or, you'll know what happened ;)

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I'm at the gym right now. Worked up to an easy 315 for 1. Took the slingshot off and heard loud clicking and really sharp shoulder pain. Also feels like the shoulder has almost slipped out of its socket though things look ok in the mirror. Damn. Maybe another day. Shutting my workout down. Gonna finish it tomorrow

napalm

napalm

Awards
So I'm at the gym right now. Worked up to an easy 315 for 1. Took the slingshot off and heard loud clicking and really sharp shoulder pain. Also feels like the shoulder has almost slipped out of its socket though things look ok in the mirror. Damn. Maybe another day. Shutting my workout down. Gonna finish it tomorrow
The fck?

How's it feeling now?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn...! You doin' external cuff work kiddo?
Yeah man, I do a lot.
The fck?

How's it feeling now?
It's feeling better today, thanks. The stabbing pain is sort of gone. But I'm having some lingering soreness when I internally rotate my arm or if I rotate my left arm clockwise in front of me. I'll check it out after the weekend.

I'm probably going to swear off floor presses for a long while. I have never been able to floor press without some sort of pain since picking the exercise up in 2012. Could be that it's revealing some issues that I mask with my powerlifting bench setup, but either way, it all kind of sucks.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Sorry to hear about your injury hope its nothing serious and u can keep at it

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah man, I do a lot.

It's feeling better today, thanks. The stabbing pain is sort of gone. But I'm having some lingering soreness when I internally rotate my arm or if I rotate my left arm clockwise in front of me. I'll check it out after the weekend.

I'm probably going to swear off floor presses for a long while. I have never been able to floor press without some sort of pain since picking the exercise up in 2012. Could be that it's revealing some issues that I mask with my powerlifting bench setup, but either way, it all kind of sucks.
Happened to me a few days ago too.

Took the LAX ball, biofreeze, and did some band work through the whole ROM and it feels 100x better now.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It can only be one thing toro, impingement...
I certainly bunged mine up a few times over the years. Heard the little ping and everything.
It would splint, as soon as I would try any rotation of the upper arm.