the napalm detroit barbell experience...

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Oh yeah, good luck to the Wolverines!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like the bar high for me. That way I can move it to set my lats. Honestly, with really heavy weight, I more or less just pull-down the bar to my sternum...

Last edited:
napalm

napalm

Awards
Oh yeah, good luck to the Wolverines!
it's gonna be a long night, spartans are on at like 10, wifey will be home around 11:30

gooo msu um final! this state would go nuts.

just sitting here drinking beer and icing my shoulder...

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I live a mile from UVa, so looks like we can't be friends until midnight, or tomorrow.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
it's gonna be a long night, spartans are on at like 10, wifey will be home around 11:30

gooo msu um final! this state would go nuts.

just sitting here drinking beer and icing my shoulder...
I got a Cavalier in the house, so I will be rooting against Izzo. It was tough choosing them in my bracket, but sometimes you gotta pay to play! And I like having my balls played with by my Cavalier, lol.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I got a Cavalier in the house, so I will be rooting against Izzo. It was tough choosing them in my bracket, but sometimes you gotta pay to play! And I like having my balls played with by my Cavalier, lol.
Dude, for real?! She and I can be friends, then! :D

napalm

napalm

Awards
I like the bar high for me. That way I can move it to set my lats. Honestly, with really heavy weight, I more or less just pull-down the bar to my chest...
hmm, you got long arms, that's gotta figure in there.

yeah, i've been getting 'row the bar down' queues lately, still trying to figure out exactly how to do that...

napalm

napalm

Awards
my bracket is still in the top 1% for the 100k.

i'm in like 80,000th place out of 8.5 mill

prolly mathematically eliminated but we'll see, i'd have to run the table that's for sure...

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I live a mile from UVa, so looks like we can't be friends until midnight, or tomorrow.
For some reason I thought you were in NoVa. Chalottesville, great place (and UVA is a solid school, academically and sportswise, these days), though the students can be rather affectatious.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
hmm, you got long arms, that's gotta figure in there.

yeah, i've been getting 'row the bar down' queues lately, still trying to figure out exactly how to do that...
I don't know if this helps, but think of this. There are 2 ways to bring the bar down, muscularly speaking. One way, you curl the bar down. The other way, you row the bar down. Even sitting or standing up, try to bring your hands to where the bar touches your chest on the bench by flexing your biceps, then do it by flexing your lats. IMO, I think a better cue than rowing my be pullover (I actually meant to say I pull-over the bar, not pull it down) if you can think of that movement.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For some reason I thought you were in NoVa. Chalottesville, great place (and UVA is a solid school, academically and sportswise, these days), though the students can be rather affectatious.
You know, this stereotype is very strong and deeply rooted, but I have to say that most of the people I've run into at UVa are very nice people. In fact, I used to hit the frats pretty hard my first two years in college, and there was only 1 frat out of the 8 or so I visited that was douchy. There are a lot of rich kids at this university, but I would say a small majority of them don't flaunt it. In other words, we're definitely no George Washington.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I don't know if this helps, but think of this. There are 2 ways to bring the bar down, muscularly speaking. One way, you curl the bar down. The other way, you row the bar down. Even sitting or standing up, try to bring your hands to where the bar touches your chest on the bench by flexing your biceps, then do it by flexing your lats. IMO, I think a better cue than rowing my be pullover (I actually meant to say I pull-over the bar, not pull it down) if you can think of that movement.
i'll have to re-read this tomorrow when i'm sober.

it's the lats part i'm struggling w, i'm a total tricep bencher. narrow grip and everything...

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
i'll have to re-read this tomorrow when i'm sober.

it's the lats part i'm struggling w, i'm a total tricep bencher. narrow grip and everything...
Same. You're gonna like reverse grip, bubba. And I bet it improves your flat. It really helps my explosiveness. Really increased my ability to pause and press.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Same. You're gonna like reverse grip, bubba. And I bet it improves your flat. It really helps my explosiveness. Really increased my ability to pause and press.
txs brotha

kids are a pain in the ass sometimes...

napalm

napalm

Awards
Squat/deadlift

Quick day, had to get to my kids volleyball tourney. Hardly anyone was there, I squatted by myself die to guys being hurt.

Squat
Work
225x5
275x5
295x3
315x2
340x1

Deadlift
225x5
275x5
315x3
365x3
405x1

Thoughts

Nothing special today, rob had me try moving my feet a little narrower for my dl. Reasoning: he thinks I'll be in a more favorable leverage. Tried it on the 405 and didn't really notice anything. I'll keep practicing it.

Back to volleyball...

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice work Napalm. Love me some squats and deadlifts in the same day!

Don't forget the pics, you've been slackin'. You had me all excited about the new cam with zoom features!

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good work on the bending stuff guy.
I have tried a bit of foot variation stuff myself. Maybe it is more flare than width for some!? I think the rule might be, more flare then less power off the floor but better strength at lock out and vice versa for feet straight ahead.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Nice work Napalm. Love me some squats and deadlifts in the same day!

Don't forget the pics, you've been slackin'. You had me all excited about the new cam with zoom features!
ok, there will be no more pics. i got caught by my kid last week:

rebecca: 'daddy, what were you taking pictures of?'

daddy: 'um, i was trying to lead you coming into frame?'

I have tried a bit of foot variation stuff myself. Maybe it is more flare than width for some!? I think the rule might be, more flare then less power off the floor but better strength at lock out and vice versa for feet straight ahead.
txs paul, i've been getting yelled at for not getting my hamstrings into the movement. rob is trying to get me behind the bar more. i forgot to mention he wanted me to move back about 2 inches along w moving my feet together. i understand exactly where he's trying to get me, i just need more reps.

he deadlifts 725 conventional, i think i'll listen to him...

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This for me big time napalm. Like if I stand up close stance with straight feet I cannot spread the floor and activate the hamstrings. My feet just want to roll. If I flare them out a little I can feel it big time trying to spread the floor with the heels. And not just dead lifting, if I stand up right now and try it I can feel it.

Nice work Napalm...and don't get arrested lol

napalm

napalm

Awards
This for me big time napalm. Like if I stand up close stance with straight feet I cannot spread the floor and activate the hamstrings. My feet just want to roll. If I flare them out a little I can feel it big time trying to spread the floor with the heels. And not just dead lifting, if I stand up right now and try it I can feel it.

Nice work Napalm...and don't get arrested lol
txs buddy, i'm gonna play around w foot angle next week...

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Scratch what rob said; get arrested. More pix.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Ever felt like just getting away from the forum for a week or so? That's been me for a while now. Wanted nothing to so with the place, then I remembered the big guy had a meet, so I had to check in for that.

Trainings going well, shoulder feels just good enough to put the shirt on Friday and tear it all to fck.

Just found out the UPA meet I'm doing June 21 is a direct qualifier for the Arnold. Guess who has a good chance of lifting in the Arnold next year?

<-----this guy

I'll catch up on everyone's logs tonight...

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ever felt like just getting away from the forum for a week or so? That's been me for a while now. Wanted nothing to so with the place, then I remembered the big guy had a meet, so I had to check in for that.

Trainings going well, shoulder feels just good enough to put the shirt on Friday and tear it all to fck.

Just found out the UPA meet I'm doing June 21 is a direct qualifier for the Arnold. Guess who has a good chance of lifting in the Arnold next year?

<-----this guy

I'll catch up on everyone's logs tonight...
Yep. That will be awesome if you make it to the Arnold and get to lift.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you get there I'll tell people I have internetted with a guy at Arnold :D

napalm

napalm

Awards
lol, there will be no arnold. even if you win you need an xpc elite total and erm...i ain't got that :( but, that's the way it should be.

<---will be touching ~340 tomorrow. shoulder feels just good enough to put the shirt on and fck it all up again...

napalm

napalm

Awards
it's friday, it's bench day

warmup
shyt load of band stretches

buffalo bar
bar x 10
95x10
135x8
185x5

work
205x5
215x5
225x3x5 - happy w this

fat bar
225x3x3

assistance
vbar pushdowns
a shyt load x 90

thoughts
didn't get into the shirt today, nobody was in gear and we were using the buffalo bar so fck it. shoulder felt great until the fat bar, those guys did 5 sets w the fat bar, i only did 3. ryan was saying the buffalo bar would be hard, but honestly, i kinda liked it. today was a first w the fat bar for me, it was weird.

i texted my surgeon today and i'm gonna get an injection prolly around the bicep tendon. i'm pretty good at diagnosing myself and he agreed. i'll get it right before i go to the philippines, i won't be training much, if at all while i'm there so the steroids will get a chance to work.

not much other than that, next meet is june 21, i'll be crushing the upa 50-54 total...

napalm

napalm

Awards
and this could turn into a drunk thread in a hurry

<---4 beers and 2 shots deep, and i'm watching the hangover...

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In for the ride.

aceroni

Awards
I thought the buffalo bar was just for squatting?
Increased ROM on bench seems like a bad idea to me..

napalm

napalm

Awards
I thought the buffalo bar was just for squatting? Increased ROM on bench seems like a bad bad to me..
All bars are fair game for anything. It's what Jacob called for, it's what we used...

napalm

napalm

Awards
squat/deadlift

squat, ugh, 10's

warmup
roll, roll, roll
95x5
135x5
185x5
225x5

work
245x10
265x10
275x10, thought i was going to die

deadlift - 3 inch block pulls
225x5
315x5
365x3
405x2
455x1

no assistance, no nothing. 10's fcking kill me

thoughts
i was hoping i misheard clay when he said 10's this morning. i wasn't :( lots and lots of reps today. i'm sure i'll be feeling it tomorrow. i'm feeling pretty good about being able to get 450 in june. i'm pretty sure if i get it off the ground i'll lock it out. the 455 from the blocks today wasn't the fastest, but it was smooth and didn't slow down.

all them rack pulls are starting to pay off i think, confidence is growing...

capo180

Awards
  • Established
3 sets of 10 on squats... sounds like someone had a bad time.

napalm

napalm

Awards
holy reps
yeah, and the wife wonders why i don't even feel like moving on sundays...

prop bets for the philippines trip so far:

number of pigs i personally kill, over/under is set at 2.5
number of goats i will personally kill: 3
number of fifths of sugar cane rum we will drink in 3 weeks: over/under is set at 110. hell, we'll drink 50 at my birthday party.
number of islands i will go to: over/under is 3.5

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Dam dude that is brutal! Nice freaking work

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Dude, checking in after another hiatus, and I had to go to page 3 to find you. You okay, man? Maybe you started another log ...

hope you had a great celebration for the big 5-0.

gymwrenchwv

gymwrenchwv

Awards
Missing....been gone a while that I've noticed

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
He went into the jungle with no ID and no cell phone. The last thing he said was "THEY DREW FIRST BLOOODDDD!!!"