The first overall pick is...

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
How come Niner fans are over Vernon Davis whos a freak of nature....you guys need to get ur Boy A.Smith someone to throw the ball to
Because a lot of them are retards and jump all over whatever the trendy thing is. IMO, using a top 10 pick on a tight end is stupid. If your tight end is the main weapon in your passing attack then your passing attack is in trouble. Tight end is a very easy position to fill so maybe I'd spend a third rounder tops.

We need a big playmaking receiver or pass rusher and a dependable tackle, maybe Larry Allen can experiment with the left tackle position and move Jonas Jennings to the right side where is better suited. A good cornerback would also be nice, I could settle for Michael Huff too but maybe they can entice the Lions to swap picks and get a third rounder if Vince Young is on the board.

oswizzle

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Read up on Vernon Davis more....I do recall a guy named Antonio Gates that was the only arsenal in the Chargers passing game that did them quite well....Vernon Davis ran a 4.38 and has a freak of nature body...49ers Have Zero Talent on offensive side....

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Read up on Vernon Davis more....I do recall a guy named Antonio Gates that was the only arsenal in the Chargers passing game that did them quite well....Vernon Davis ran a 4.38 and has a freak of nature body...49ers Have Zero Talent on offensive side....
Yes I know, but it's very unlikely that a tight end will be a guy who can make 5-6 critical catches for you every game. I wouldn't mid having the guy as long as they had a top flight receiver to go along with him, those players are harder to come by and their impact is much bigger in the long run. The Chargers also didn't burn a top 10 pick to get him. Again, this is not a very difficult position to fill. The 49ers also have Eric Johnson who is a pretty bad ass Pro Bowl caliber tight end.

Bull Mkt

Awards
Gates is a phenomenal player and wonderful option but don't take away from Keenan McCardell...he was the heart of the Charger's receiving corp, not Gates. Even though he's getting old...

oswizzle

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Vernon Davis, TE Maryland – No player made a bigger splash this year than Davis. He ran the fastest 40 time of any tight end in the history of the combine (4.38) and was extremely impressive in each of the on field drills including the blocking drills that may have been the only question to date about his game. The 6’3 ¾” 254 pounder literally leaped (42 inch vertical and 10’8” broad jump) into being a top ten lock and will most likely hear his name called within the top six or seven picks.

He bench pressed a 225-pound weight bar 33 times at the combine.

A physical specimen in college, Davis holds Maryland tight end records for bench press (460), power clean (355), vertical jump (40), squat (685)

I take it back bro 49ers wont have the chance to snab him...Rumors are the Jets want him.....This guy could be a WR and dominate.

Bull Mkt

Awards
The Chargers also didn't burn a top 10 pick to get him.
You're right on that...as a matter of fact, we picked him up as a rookie-free agent out of Kent State. He was actually a star basketball player who decided to try for the NFL instead of the NBA...kinda like Charlie Ward in reverse. Anyways, talk about a diamond in the rough...he was never a blip on any GM's radar...I don't even know if he was invited to the Combines.

Bull Mkt

Awards
– No player made a bigger splash this year than Davis. He ran the fastest 40 time of any tight end in the history of the combine (4.38) and was extremely impressive in each of the on field drills including the blocking drills that may have been the only question to date about his game. The 6’3 ¾” 254 pounder literally leaped (42 inch vertical and 10’8” broad jump) into being a top ten lock and will most likely hear his name called within the top six or seven picks.

He bench pressed a 225-pound weight bar 33 times at the combine.

A physical specimen in college, Davis holds Maryland tight end records for bench press (460), power clean (355), vertical jump (40), squat (685)

I take it back bro 49ers wont have the chance to snab him...Rumors are the Jets want him.....This guy could be a WR and dominate.
I agree. Davis is definitely a phenomenal scouting profile...I think he will do wonders in the right scheme. As far as seeing a guy of his size line up as a WR, that would actually be interesting. I'd pay to see the face of any CB that was assigned to him. :blink: Talk about a mismatch...I don't even think the CB would try to bump him inside the 5 yards...he'd get tossed like a ragdoll. Albeit, I don't think a guy of that size has the conditioning to run routes all day. I'm sure he'll line up in the slot but not run routes all day like a WR...

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Right now its tuff to say

Houston is possibly shopping the pick, the owner has stated he does not want to be out of the top 6 picks because he feels there is a talent drop.

Houston stays a #1 they take bush, if some one trades up its not a given bush will go #1 a couple teams want a qb and would like to be higher than tenn. right now. Also rumor was jets wanted brickshaw, but have set there sites on Cutler now. problem is Tenn. OC has stated he does think young will be good for his sytem so now tenn. might want Cutler. If thats the case, the jets might trade up. brickshaw is gonna play a major role in how cutler and young make out in the 1st round. That is if lienhart is New Orleans definite pick. there has been talk that youngs stock is dropping and he may fall between 7-9 in the draft. It could all change thou depending on how Young does when he has a his personal workouts.
Just want to say take a look at espn front page, interesting hugh. Bush will be in new orleans after tommorrow.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Williams and the Texans just agreed on a contract...............so i guess we know who's gonna be the #1 pick. :D

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
The Saints just got a prayer answered. I can't believe the Texans passed on Bush.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
The Saints just got a prayer answered. I can't believe the Texans passed on Bush.
Mario Williams better be Reggie White times two. Charley Casserly.. what a maroon. LOL This is the guy how picked Heath Shuler for the 'skins. He has about as much sense in picking good football players as Beelz is at picking haircare products.

Vegas Lord

Awards
Mario Williams better be Reggie White times two. Charley Casserly.. what a maroon. LOL This is the guy how picked Heath Shuler for the 'skins. He has about as much sense in picking good football players as Beelz is at picking haircare products.
This what you all get for listening to the "talking heads". I watched the "great: reggie bush in the rose bowl again........ you know what? The boy is severly overated as a every down hard runningback.. Lendale white gave USC a prayer of a chance in the game. I did thing Texans would pick Bush but Williams has more upside in the end. Reggie has great hands as a receiver/ runs routes as a receiver as well return kicks... But he has no chance in hell of running over nfl defenses the way he ran against Pac-10 teams. I watched all USC games this year with Bush. He has come up huge for USC in most of the games... But, when I seen him run out of bounds (against Texas) most running plays instead of making his "god like" moves, he looked like a kid on the bench with his head down. Bush will be facing defeses that will crush him in "06"... I love Reggie i thik he's honest (family probably screwed him over), but he is not going to do nearly as many highlight reals in the NFL. Reggie had one good run in the rose bowl on a toss right play and took it to distance (Mike Huff under estimated Bush's speed). Reggie will not get much on fast defenses. If he would run with more heart/ phsicallness he could be amazing imo.

Will, Mario become the next great DE?...... (We'll see in "06) Honestly, i'm happy that the Saints don't have a chance now and he wont be beating the **** outta my boy Simms!! Yea, I would love Reggie Bush as a matchup against the Tampa 2 instead of my LT getting his ass handed to him two games out of the year.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Whos happy? Better be you Eagle fans... Bunkley at 14 and your starting LG at 39 (Justice) along with what is being called a future search and destroy SAM in the third.

Yo Condi you wanted a rush how about Kearse-Patterson-Bunkley-Howard
:woohoo:

Now where did we put that new center at?:twisted:

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
On the Bush thing... I heard he was offered 10% more than Smith got last year and said NO! So it came down to signability I suppose.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
On the Bush thing... I heard he was offered 10% more than Smith got last year and said NO! So it came down to signability I suppose.
If that's the case then it doesn't speak highly of the Texans front office. This guy was worth the #1 pick by far. I know many have hated on Bush because he had Lendale White but people seem to forget that Williams also had Manny Lawson at the other DE spot to occupy a lot of linemen. Williams should be a great player too but what would you rather have, a great DE or a great RB ?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Well, I hope you're right. The 49ers just invested on him. I hope he's as good as advertised because we need a lot of help. I personally wanted Michael Huff at #6, not because Davis did anything wrong but because they have Eric Johnson and TE is not too difficult to fill.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Whos happy? Better be you Eagle fans... Bunkley at 14 and your starting LG at 39 (Justice) along with what is being called a future search and destroy SAM in the third.

Yo Condi you wanted a rush how about Kearse-Patterson-Bunkley-Howard

:bow28:
:woohoo:

Now where did we put that new center at?:twisted:
Bunkley is a monster I hope he has a good head. Look out NFC east-the mean is back in the green!

oswizzle

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Texans made a huge mistake not drafting Reggie Bush......This guy is super human...Vegas Lord I guess U didnt see the touchdown Bush had in the RoseBowl when he dished and dashed down the sideline and flew to the inzone like Superman....Maybe u had too much Man Love for V.Young

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
You absolutely CAN NOT spend 30 million in guaranteed money on a RB that will touch the ball 15-20 times per game.

Yeah, they need help on special teams. But, if they were interested in that they could have gotten Devin Hester or Willier Reid in the 2nd or 3rd.

Bush isn't an every-down back. Williams may not be Reggie White but it does come down to money. Bush wanted a really sizeable increase over Alex Smith.

IW - I think your analysis is off. Johnson is good, but injury prone. We needed a weapon on O. It was too early for an RB and the WR's sucked this year (maybe next year...).
Could have went D - but Smith needs a weapon or another year like '05 and he'd be done mentally. I don't think this kid can take another David Carr like year and still be "with it".
Vernon was the only guy that fit at that point on offense. And who knows about trading down with #6 - you gotta have a dance partner....
I think the move up to #22 paid off - Lawson is a good fit for the D. You could have argued that we needed a CB more (Jimy Williams?) but we need players ANYWHERE on D. It's getting pathetic over there.
Nolen will just have to make sure Manny plays hard - he had lapses at NCSt.
Another positive about Manny - dude can block some kicks! I think he had like 5 or 6 blocks in college.
I also like Parys Harelson in the 5th round. An athletic DL that has a good motor that always runs is a helluva steal that late.
I don't know much about the Wiliams kid from Wisconsin and M. Robinson was a QB at Penn St (I think). Maybe he'll work out ala Hines Ward or Randell-El.
All in all, would have liked to see a CB - but we've got so many damn holes that I can't criticize the draft picks.

Leinart cost himself dearly. He'd have been #1 last year by the 9ers - now #10. (I'm not sure if I like him over A. Smith but that's another discussion.) But, he's definately on a better team. The Cards are freaking loaded on O. With Edgerrin, Larry Fitzgerald, Boldin and Leonard Pope in the 3rd round he's got some serious players to throw the ball to.

They may give Seattle a run out West...

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
jmh-I hope you're right about the #6 pick bro. I know Davis is great but the defense doesn't really have any big time hitters/intimidators besides Bryant Young so I really thought it would be important to have that one guy who can solidify your secondary like Ronnie Lott did for us in the 80's. I also felt Huff was more of a necessity since the Cardinals, Rams, and Seahawks are all pass oriented offenses and we will never beat them until we can hinder their passing game. I guess I'm the type of guy who wants to fix every hole overnight but I realize that's impossible since the 49ers have too many holes and an owner who doesn't seem to give a rats ass. BTW, I thought Maurice Stovall or Jason Avant would have been better picks in the 3rd round instead of Williams.

I also like Manny Lawson, he'll fit nicely in the 3-4 defense and we do have solid guys up front so he should be able to do some damage

oswizzle

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Reggie Bush should get 10X the amount of money then that of Ala Mr Busteroonies aka Alex Smith....Leinart may have costed himself some money but long term his team is gonna be on another level then the 49ers...thats just the truth

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I agree. The Cards will go places.

But, he's gotta be pissed at losing $20 mill in guaranteed money.

IW - I just can't question them yet. I think Davis was a better "playmaker" than Huff.
We NEED playmakers - I don't care where.

az2u

Awards
I agree. The Cards will go places.

But, he's gotta be pissed at losing $20 mill in guaranteed money.

IW - I just can't question them yet. I think Davis was a better "playmaker" than Huff.
We NEED playmakers - I don't care where.
VD was the best TE/receiver in the draft. A healthy Eric Johnson, VD,and Norv Turner is a major plus for the 9ers.

oswizzle

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Scarface ooops i mean Norv Turner is gonna have more effect on the Running Game then the pass....he's always made the best outta the Run Game....if ur relying on him and the passing ur in trouble....The dude didnt even know how to utilize Randy Moss....u think he's gonna max out V.Davis Potential? E.Johnson is more injury prone then Kellen Winslow on a Street Bike....49ers will be 4-12

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
You might be right swizzle.

We've got a ton of holes.

I hear Barlow and Gore hate each other. Nice to hear that about your top 2 RB's.
:blink:

We might not even win 4 games next year. The West has some heavyweights - Seattle and the Cards (did I really just type that???).

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
You might be right swizzle.

I hear Barlow and Gore hate each other. Nice to hear that about your top 2 RB's.
:blink:
Sh!t they have enough problems with everyone getting along and now this ! I hope this problem doesn't linger. I liked how Gore played last year and I'd start him just to prove a point to Barlow, whom I suspect would create the problem among the 2

oswizzle

Banned
Awards
  • Established
on a good note the signing of Larry Allen and Norv Turner will Improve the running Game for sure....I expect Frank Gore if he stays Healthy to crack a 1,000 yards

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Frank is one of my favorite players coming out of The U.

He's a very hard worker and a great person.

It's just so sad that he had the knee injuries.
His frosh year of 2001 was freaking crazy. Dude averaged 9 ypc.
He was THE most explosive back I've ever seen at The U.

Rememeber, he kept McGahee on the bench - until the 1st knee injury in spring 2002.
:jaw:

judge-mental

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
VD in WR is going to be David Boston all over again. too heavy to cut, knee problems, etc.

They should have gotten some defence.

oswizzle

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Not even close....Vernon Davis ****s on David Boston....Different players bro

Bull Mkt

Awards
Frank is one of my favorite players coming out of The U.

He's a very hard worker and a great person.

It's just so sad that he had the knee injuries.
His frosh year of 2001 was freaking crazy. Dude averaged 9 ypc.
He was THE most explosive back I've ever seen at The U.

Rememeber, he kept McGahee on the bench - until the 1st knee injury in spring 2002.
:jaw:

I thought Clinton Portis was the one that kept McGahee on the bench???

Bull Mkt

Awards
Not even close....Vernon Davis ****s on David Boston....Different players bro
And different positions...you need that size when playing TE. Boston on the other hand was a bust because of his attitude...he was great in Arizona but was a complete flop in San Diego when his head grew quicker than his stats.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Well, CP was pretty much entrinched as the starter in 2001.

Who was the back-up in 2001? Gore.

Who was the starter in spring ball in 2002? Gore.

He kept WMc on the bench.