The BAN passes; 10 days for W to sign

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
judges have stamps too for the admin. asst.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Hey, I'm glad we're getting back on track in this thread :thumbsup:

Anyway, I've heard people say that they wish our government officials were educated so that they could make bette decisions on these matters. Well, the fact is, regardless of their education on the matter, this is a vehicle in which reelection at the local level and state level is more easily attainable. Honestly, imagine being "the guy" who didn't vote yes to the banning of these steroids and their precursors. I man "after you hearrd that report on CNN about how they'll make boys lose their hair, grow boobs, their nutz will fall off, and they'll be angry like godzilla tearing towns apart and killing people" he'd have to be insane, right? Well, that's what the general population thinks anyway. They'd kick those guys out as fast as possible. And then there are guys like Biden (sponsor of the bill); this is his setup for "bigger and better things". Now, he can look back and say "look what I've done for the community and the nation!" We are a small minority in this country and we're being used as a scapegoat by the powerful by influencing the uneducted, the weak minded, and the damn tree huggers who think "everyone needs to be equal in all matters". Right there, that accounts for near 95% of the population! We're screwed and I personally blame the media 200%. They singled us out, they created the scapegoat, and they falsely informed the population about AAS/PH.

Grant

Awards
  • Established
The assault weapons ban didn't actually ban any weapons. AWB banned chacteristics of guns that politicians though were dangerous such as collapsable stocks, high capacity magazines, and flash suppressors.

BTW all those videos they show on CNN are of machine guns which have been heavily regulated for over 80 years. Private citizens have been banned from buying new full auto machine guns since 1986.

The reason that alcohol and tobacco is still available legally really boils down to the money they pump into the economy. Tobacco is a friggin cash cow for the government. They tax it heavily in the first place then get awarded huge settlements because dumbasses smoked and now have lung cancer.
Listen guys, THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYIING ALL ALONG. Good post.

Which do you people think is more important, the right to keep and bear arms or the right to use PH/PS/AAS.

stryder

stryder

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Same with alcohol...not only do you pay taxes when you purchase it, but when you go out to eat and purchase a drink, your waiter/waitress has to have a $25 permit to serve it to you, as well as the cashier at the grocery store...$$$ <chuching!>

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
The consumers and supplement companies better find a way to hit the government back as hard as they can. If they don't you will see creatine, Citrus Aurantium ( Synepherine), and Yohimbe gone in the near future. Then at some point you literally will need to get a prescription for something like vitamin C. Maybe protein power will be banned because kids will eat too much it and most dogmatic nutritionist say it causes kidney damage. While there was no opposition to the bill the man who was responsible for rail roading it threw so fast was Biden. Why he had such a hard on to get it passed I don't know. I am sure he'll make a great secretary of state if Kerry is elected. My suggestion would be for anyone in his state and the supplement companies to make sure Biden isn't reelected. This would send a message that they would listen to.

Buc4Life04

Awards
  • Established
Same with alcohol...not only do you pay taxes when you purchase it, but when you go out to eat and purchase a drink, your waiter/waitress has to have a $25 permit to serve it to you, as well as the cashier at the grocery store...$$$ <chuching!>
Never heard of that. Where do you live?

coofoostu

Awards
The consumers and supplement companies better find a way to hit the government back as hard as they can. If they don't you will see creatine, Citrus Aurantium ( Synepherine), and Yohimbe gone in the near future. Then at some point you literally will need to get a prescription for something like vitamin C. Maybe protein power will be banned because kids will eat too much it and most dogmatic nutritionist say it causes kidney damage. While there was no opposition to the bill the man who was responsible for rail roading it threw so fast was Biden. Why he had such a hard on to get it passed I don't know. I am sure he'll make a great secretary of state if Kerry is elected. My suggestion would be for anyone in his state and the supplement companies to make sure Biden isn't reelected. This would send a message that they would listen to.
I agree VanillaGorilla. While I personally believe that steroids should be legal through a doctor's rx as a cosmetic enhancement, I believe that the "domino effect" will take down all our rights eventually. The same thing happened in Nazi Germany as seen in this famous poem:

First They Came for the Jews

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller
Im not saying the government is comparable to Nazi Germany, but one can see how similar the effects will be.

First they came for the ephedra
and I did not speak out
because I did not take ephedra.
Then they came for the Prohormones
and I did not speak out
because I did not use prohormones.
Then they came for the creatine, protien, and vitamins
and there were no suppliments left
for me to speak out about.

This morning as I was driving to school, the dj was talking about some baseball player who died at age 41. He kept saying how it was the falt of steroids. Then he said something like " of course, he did have a serious drug problem, BUT THE GUY WAS TAKING STERIODS" and then he said "Doctors are saying this is going to start happining all over the country" "Baseball players are going to start dropping like flies BECAUSE OF STEROIDS." OMFG this was pissing me off so much. He made it sound like the fact that he had a drug problem had nothing to do with his death. It was only the steroids fault. I dont think that people realize that baseball isn't like other sports. You dont have to be in shape if you are extremely talented. And the shape a person is in is soley up to that individual. Its not like you loose 50 lbs of fat and gain 50 lbs of muscule just from throwing a ball. And what doctors are saying this? Baseball players have been using steriods for at least 20 years.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Yeah..Ken Cammeneti (sp?) That pisses me off; the guy's a meth-head and they're trying to blame it on roids? I doubt he took more than a couple cycles! The guy wasnt' some huge beast he looked like a normal guy.

I don't see how people can be so ignorant as to look past his methamphetamine addiction and blame his "heart problem" on steroids. OMFG. Maybe call him on liver problems for major abuse of Methyls, but the fact is I've read some good posts (by size I believe) that indicated of the past 30 bits of reaserach on the matter only 6 have concluded there may be cardiac problems! That leaves the other 24!!!

"A former alcoholic who was addicted to painkillers that he took for playing-related injuries, Caminiti was given three years’ probation in 2001 after he admitted taking cocaine. Last week, he was sentenced to 180 days in prison for violating his probation by testing positive for cocaine" http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,4-1304983,00.html

So he tested positive for Coke last week, he's been off roids for years, and when his heart blows up, it's the roids that did it???? Grrrrr....if that was the case, I'd expect to see ppl like Sergio Oliva and Lee Haney dropping like fly's of heart attacks these days...last I saw of the both of them, they looked healthy to me. :rant:

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, that was Ken Caminiti. What that dj failed to mention is that he had taken something far more damaging to his system than steroids could ever be...cocaine. He was found guilty of drug possession awhile ago and was trying to get his life back together. It pisses me off that a man who admitted to steroid use in the past and was tried for possession of a controlled substance has his death blamed on something that would really have nothing to do with the disease if used properly. He's just trying to turn his death into another witch hunt that people will follow blindly. God that irks me so fucking much. If you saw the video of him (saw it on the local news station here, FOX 26) you could see that something wasn't right, he seemed so empty and distant. To say that steroids caused this is a bunch of bullshit, yet sadly this bullshit actually sells. :frustrate

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
This morning as I was driving to school, the dj was talking about some baseball player who died at age 41. He kept saying how it was the falt of steroids.
The guy was a coke head yet they blame it on steroids.

weeenisss

Board Supporter
Awards
this is a minority issue, as was stated in a previous post, PHs/ AAS is not important for the masses. the media has control over this issue. elected officials that want to be reelected will follow the rationale the media portrays. most if not all people fall victim to group think, you believe what you hear the people around you saying, this person tells that person and so on and you hear the same thing from multiple sources, and they hear the same thing from mutliple sources, it begins to be accepted as factual. at one time the world was believed to be flat. truth is not the deciding factor of what a society believes, something may or may not be true the important thing in group think is that the belief of it is reinforced by the expressed beliefs of others in the group, acceptance is what is important. the state of the modern media accelerates this proccess greatly. a longitudinal study of the front page of newspaper will illustrate"this. what was the talk of the town(country) a few months ago may not even be mentioned anymore, not that it has gone away, its just something else has surpassed its level of interest. topics spread fast but they die faster...attacking this issue directly will probably not have any success, the media has convinced the masses that steroids/PHs are bad, end of story. with creatine/protein etc. the way to preserve them would be to be preemptive, get someone with influence in the media to show the wonderful things they do and how they better the lives of people that use them. make the point that the research advancement was only possible because the research and production was not hunkered down by FDA time consuming regulations. dont wait until the opposition gets the attention to the other side of the issue. find some crazy eccentric person that can get attention to the matter, back them up with reputable scientific evidence, as much bias as possible, get it to air on 60 minutes or some other show like that...and voila, the next thing you know the gov't will be giving tax breaks on supplement purchases instead of the opposite. keep in mind the short memory of the american public, and you will be able to use that momentum to bring PHs back and possibly even legalize AAS. the other route would be to gain access them through the back door, someone previously suggested getting them prescribed as cosmetic enhancements...sounds like a good idea to me, that would regulate them enough for healthy over 21 adults to use them, quality would be regulated, price would be dertermined by the demand of the market, black market alternative supplies will keep it affordable. its an idea, if someone has the resources to act upon it, please do. creatine is already in danger, dont let it slip to far as did PHs/ephedra.

mtruther

mtruther

Awards
Anyone see the Forbes magazine back in April that ran a feature story entitled "Poison Pills," dealing with the ephedra ban?
There is no way public opinion backs the supplement industry when they're reading pieces like that. They had a guy with skulls superimposed all over him as their story cover. And of course, prohormones were mentioned. Namely that they created male breasts, balding in women, and stunted growth in teens.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
What I've noticed from the media is that they will make Ken Caminiti the Lykle Alzado of the 21st century, how pathetic.

weeenisss

Board Supporter
Awards
keep in mind the short memory of the public, the next few weeks will be devoted entirely to the upcoming election, everything else will take a back seat in the media, the weeks following it will be the controversy about who won, then it will go on to the next hot topic...ken caminiti will probably not be mentioned much with respect to the election, especially after the world series...baseball will not be the talk anymore.

kojie

Awards
so has W already signed it ??

if not how many days left ???

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
any updates? I'm sure he passed it but there was still a bit of hope.

Rictor33

Awards
  • Established
not to mention that ken's death was from an overdose. Atleast thats what the autopsy shows (preliminary) he was supposedly really edgy and talking about everything a to z. He came out of the bathroom sweating profusely then collapsed. If you were to ask me without me even knowing he had a prior history of coke abuse, I would point to a cocaine overdose as the cause of his death. He went to New York to hang out with an ex-con and probably snorted an 8-ball to his head then promptly died. I have respect for him (less now after he admitted juicing and tarnishsed baseball and aas) , but the guy was self-destructive throughout his playing years and then went on to be even more self-destructive after his career ended. You can't blame steroids for his death.

diamonddave

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
isnt it now past the time he had to sign it?
No, I believe the 18th is the 10th day. We'll be hearing about W signing it tomorrow (Monday).

dd

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
Humpbacked, slacker, P.O.S. will probably do it right before he goes to bed.
Selfish bastard.

RRAdam

Awards
On Monday, October 18, 2004, the President signed into law:

H.R. 4011, the "North Korean Human Rights Act of 2004," which will promote human rights and freedom in North Korea, and authorize humanitarian assistance to North Koreans.

H.R. 4567, the "Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act, 2005," which provides Fiscal Year 2005 appropriations for the Department of Homeland Security.

H.R. 4850, the "District of Columbia Appropriations Act, 2005," which provides FY 2005 Federal appropriations for the District of Columbia (DC) and provides for the appropriation of DC local funds for FY 2005 .

S. 551, the "Southern Ute and Colorado Intergovernmental Agreement Implementation Act of 2004," which provides for the implementation of air quality programs on the Southern Ute Indian Reservation, Colorado, pursuant to a specified Tribal/State Intergovernmental Agreement.

S. 1421, the "Alaska Native Allotment Subdivision Act," which authorizes the subdivision and dedication of restricted land owned by Alaska Natives.

S. 1537, the "New Hope Cemetery Association Land Conveyance," which directs the Department of Agriculture to convey 1.1 acres of National Forest land in Pope County, Arkansas, to the New Hope Cemetery Association.

S. 1663 , which replaces certain Coastal Barrier Resources System maps for the Cape Fear area in North Carolina to reflect boundary changes.

S. 1687, the "Manhattan Project National Historical Park Study Act," which requires the Department of the Interior to conduct a special resource study to determine whether certain sites associated with the Manhattan Project are nationally significant, suitable, and feasible to designate as a unit of the National Park System.

S. 1814, which transfers administrative jurisdiction of the Mingo Job Corps Civilian Conservation Center in Missouri from the Department of the Interior to the Department of Agriculture.

S. 2052, the "El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historical Trail Act," which designates the El Camino Real de los Tejas in Texas and Louisiana as a National Historic Trail. S. 2180, the "Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests Land Exchange Act of 2004," which directs the Secretary of Agriculture to exchange certain lands in the Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests in the State of Colorado.

S. 2319, the "Tapoco Project Licensing Act of 2004," which requires the Department of the Interior to exchange certain lands within the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee with Alcoa Power Generating Inc. and grants jurisdiction for the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to re-license the Tapoco hydropower project.

S. 2363, which authorizes appropriations for FYs 2006-2010 for grants to establish and extend Boys and Girls Club facilities.

S. 2508, which redesignates the Ridges Basin Reservoir in Colorado as Lake Nighthorse.
# # #

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
If he chokes on a pretzel, gets taken to the hospital, and forgets to sign it than do we luck out ? :D

Or does Cheney become acting president and sign it

RRAdam

Awards
no, he is done for the day - that was a summary of what he signed today - and yes, cheney would be acting if bush was disabled :twisted:

weeenisss

Board Supporter
Awards
biden will probably rework the bill or write a similar one and attempt to get that passed, but basically it will be a while before anything happens.

kojie

Awards
if i remember right we will have an extension of a few months before he has any chance of signing it again.. right ??

jblaze22

Board Supporter
Awards
hmm im getting conflicting info... another board says that since congress isnt adjourned, and only on recess, it will still become law. Any truth to this?

realsoundjim

Awards
  • Established
BEEN SEARCHING INTERNET CAN'T FIND ANYTHING. ANY NEW NEWS. ANY DEFINITIVE ANSWER YET. THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
All that happens if he doesn't sign is that it becomes law by default IIRC.

entropy138

Awards
All that happens if he doesn't sign is that it becomes law by default IIRC.
I thought not signing it was called somethign like the pocket veto. I believe it HAS to be signed to become law, if unsigned, its like vetoing. Sorta like letting the assault weapon ban sunset here recently.... But I could be wrong.

dingobite

Awards
Cant remember what i learned in school but to veto the bill i think someone needs to object to it.
So its basically still in circulation for now.

jblaze22

Board Supporter
Awards
Cant remember what i learned in school but to veto the bill i think someone needs to object to it.
So its basically still in circulation for now.
its a pocket veto if Dubya doesnt sign it when congress is adjourned, but AFAIK congress is only on recess so therefore even if he doesnt sign the bill it becomes law by default

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_veto

"A pocket veto is a legislative maneuver in American federal lawmaking. The U.S. Constitution requires the President to sign or veto any legislation placed on his desk within ten days (Not including Sundays). If he does not then it becomes law by default. The one exception to this rule is if Congress adjourns before the ten days is up. In such a case the bill does not become law, it is effectively, but not actually, vetoed. Ignoring legislation, or "putting a bill in one's pocket" until Congress adjourns is thus called a pocket veto.
From the U.S. Constitution Article 1, Section 7: "...If any Bill shall not be returned by the President within ten Days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to him, the Same shall be a Law, in like Manner as if he had signed it, unless the Congress by their Adjournment prevent its Return, in which Case it shall not be a Law. "

diamonddave

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I didn't realize that Sunday's weren't included in the 10 days W had to sign. It's probably on his desk today. The 18th was 10 days from it being passed through Congress, but that included Sunday. I bet it gets signed today.

dd

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
According to The House floor-activity page (http://clerk.house.gov/floorsummary/floor.html), here's the current staus of the House:
3:59 P.M. -
The House adjourned pursuant to H. Con. Res. 518. The next meeting is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. on November 16, 2004.

On motion to adjourn Agreed to by voice vote.

Mr. Hayworth moved that the House do now adjourn.
so it would seem clear that the House is adjourned, and not in recess. That would put the bill into a de-facto 'pocket veto' status.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
Listen guys, THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYIING ALL ALONG. Good post.

Which do you people think is more important, the right to keep and bear arms or the right to use PH/PS/AAS.
Right on. The economic reality is that tobacco and alcohol provide millions of jobs and billions of dollars.

Personally, I'd choose to keep my guns (firearms).

Especially since I'll use PH anyway (I have a good sized stash).

/karp