Taking On Anxiety

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I really wish lsd was not illegal. I truly believe that this could be a serious game changer in mental health diseases

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Also you mentioned sociopaths...there is no treatment for that. It is a personality disorder and completely different from psychiatric disorders like schizophrenia and depression. They can’t be helped with medications as their issues aren’t caused by the same factors. They are literally just wired differently to not give a **** about others, cause harm to others, and only see themselves as valuable, among other traits.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
I really wish lsd was not illegal. I truly believe that this could be a serious game changer in mental health diseases
Yeah there’s a lot of buzz now about so called micro dosing lsd as a treatment for various illnesses. Though it being schedule 1 in the US it will likely never get tested for such purposes, at least not any time soon. And we will have to go off anecdotal reports, or shotty trials run by other countries, though even that is unlikely. The more likely scenario is to find other compounds that have the same receptor binding affinities as lsd in these small doses and then test those analogs as a non scheduled drug.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There is actually study I heard of where people use psychedelics and empathogens responsibly ,key word ,-responsible people, have slightly better mental health than people who never used them. I didnt see the study, just heard about it

Its easy as patient goes to Doctor, doctor im depressed, im down, I need something to make me happy. Doctor writes a script.

For the people who were put on them from their Doctor and didn't truly need them, chemical imbalances galore, and people stay on them for life because they're scared to come off them because of the chemical imbalances it takes for the body to get back to homeostasis.

As far as sociopaths yes they are the people that have no remorse for killing others like people that shoot up churches, etc. According to research, Just about all the people that shot up and killed people were on psychotic prescription drugs.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yep, I completely agree with this. California is moving to try and legalize psilocybin now, so the thought process is gaining on a larger scale. Not LSD, but still has shown to have positive effects on people- especially those with chronic migraines.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I can tell you that using a breathe right and taping your mouth shut isn't going to help anyone other than maybe you. LOL
I was speaking specifically about physiological, stress induced, low CO2 blood levels, not brain chemistry related stuff. Remember the old "breathing in a paper bag"? Well... Research it. I'm surprised you dismissed it so quickly.

Edit: This saved my sanity: http://www.rbphd.com/Docs/breathingretraining.htm follow on research using "over breathing" search in Google if interested.

Just put it up as a FYI, and in case the OP fell into the category - not for peeps that actually need drugs for chemistry problems.

PredNutrition

PredNutrition

Awards
A new product from Hydrapharm. might be of interest to the OP @Mr_Physique

Emoxypine - https://www.predatornutrition.com/nootropic-supplements/hydrapharm/emoxypine.html

Emoxypine is an antioxidant that is similar in chemical structure to Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6). Its mechanism of action involves its ability to function as an antioxidant and its membrane protective effects.

Users of this supplement can expect to experience anti-stress, neuroprotective effects, anti-inflammation and nootropic properties when using this ingredient. This is due to its ability to inhibit free radical oxidation, increase the activity of antioxidant enzymes, play a key role in the modulation of the receptor complexes of the brain membranes and the activity of membrane-bound enzymes, stabilise bio-membranes and increase the dopamine content in the brain.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've tried emoxypine from a few distributors and to completely honest, I cannot say if it works. It may, but the effects are very subtle. I would be curious if this is something that works better for long term use as it does have some health benefits.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've tried emoxypine from a few distributors and to completely honest, I cannot say if it works. It may, but the effects are very subtle. I would be curious if this is something that works better for long term use as it does have some health benefits.
I had the same results (or lack of notable results) from emoxypine. However, I only used it for a week or two.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Has anyone tried bromantane?
Tried one sample but didn't notice anything.

Strangely enough (considering how stim sensitive I am), 50 mg of modafinil really reduces my social anxiety (and depression).

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wow, that is very strange indeed. That is the exact opposite of what you would think would happen. For me, I don't want to be around people, I just want to get things done and not be bothered. When I am interrupted I get very agitated and when in social situations, just want to get away.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wow, that is very strange indeed. That is the exact opposite of what you would think would happen. For me, I don't want to be around people, I just want to get things done and not be bothered. When I am interrupted I get very agitated and when in social situations, just want to get away.
Maybe it has something to do with the low dosage...or me just being weird...or both? I don't know. I just know I focus much better at work (get a lot done) and actually leave my office to talk to people occasionally. :)

josun

Awards
  • Established
No. I used to love pot tho. It gives me anxiety now like nothing else.

I've heard in legal states there are good strands for anxiety but at this point I almost find it hard to believe.
Use to be a daily smoker. But get bad anxiety also

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Tried one sample but didn't notice anything.

Strangely enough (considering how stim sensitive I am), 50 mg of modafinil really reduces my social anxiety (and depression).
You are prob a “responder” to modafinil. Unfortunately it doesn’t do much for me. They think the enhancing effects of the drug are related to whether or not you have a specific variant in a dopamine gene. I have the one version of the gene shown in studies to not respond to modafinil. Or at least for me it doesn’t do anything caffeine doesn’t do. It’s a very interesting drug though, and influences practically every neurotransmitter, so it can deff elevate mood, especially if you are stim sensitive.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
The influence stimulants have on personality or behavior likely stems from whatever personality type you are to begin with. If you are an introvert like me, and an analyst (NT), likely stims will make you want to get away from people and get back to being “productive”, whereas I know extroverted individuals that might have anxiety or lack of confidence but want to socialize find stims let them get out of their shell some and be more like themselves.

Mike Arnold

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sup brahs,

So I battle mild-ish anxiety. It's on and off throughout the day of me typically freaking out about my heart. I also feel like my heart beat is rapid or I'm having a heart attack lol (I know this isn't true from checking my pulse, having others, seeing a doc about heart health, etc.)

I'm sure some of you with anxiety know what I'm talking about. It's pretty stupid, but it ****s me up.

I've seen a lot of bros recommend different things for anxiety. So those of you who've tried what do you recommend?

Note: I have not tried taking anything at this point to try to combat my anxiety. I do not wish to go on any prescription drugs either. But I've seen people say about pregnolone, kratom, dopamine, etc
The key is finding a non-addictive combination of compounds that tackles anxiety from all angles.

The following combination can be VERY effective for many people and would be readily prescribed by most doctors if asked for.

Metoprolol (10-25 mg, once per day, as needed): This drug is a cardio-selective beta-blocker, which stops epinephrine (e.g. adrenalin) from binding to and activating receptor sites in cardiac tissue. This stops the heart from responding to the increase in epinephrine that accompanies an anxiety attack, which is responsible for the increase in heart rate and the "my heart is pounding out of my chest" feeling that can make anxiety attacks so unbearable. By eliminating the primary physical symptom associated with anxiety attacks, it not only makes the user feel much better, but it stops the physical-emotional circle effect, in which the individual experiences an increased heart rate, which leads to worrying, which leads to a further increase in heart rate, which leads to more worrying, etc. Metoprolol effectively breaks this pattern of unwanted, self-induced anxiety escalation, while simultaneously helping to deal with the physical symptoms of anxiety. This drug is very effective, but should only be used "ass-needed"--when you feel an anxiety attack coming on or are already having one. It can make you sleepy (dosage will largely determine to what degree this takes place), so take the minimum dose necessary.

HydroxyZine (10-50 mg, once per day, as needed): HydroxyZine is a serotonin-selective antihistamine indicated for the treatment of anxiety, as it works on both the histamine receptor and a specific subset of serotonin receptors. It works quickly, providing effects in as little as 20 minutes. It should be used on an "as-needed" basis and is often administered before bed to both improve sleep and eliminate nocturnal anxiety. Due to its fairly long active life, before bed use often allows its anti-anxiety effects to extend into the next day, but without causing the sleepiness that tends to occur during the first 8 hours of use. Like Metoprolol, HydroxyZine is non-habit forming. Tolerance build-up is minimal. The most noticeable side effect associated with HydroxyZine is sedation, but this tends to decrease over time and as mentioned previously, is greatly reduced if used before bed.

Lexapro (5-20 mg, once daily): Indicated in the treatment of both depression and anxiety, Lexapro belongs to the class of drugs known as Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors. It is typically administered on a daily basis, once per day, at 5-20 mg/day, with 10 mg daily being the typical starting dose. Depending on personal response the dosage can be titrated upwards or downwards after the first 4 weeks. Although Lexapro does not usually provide immediate anxiety relief (in some cases it does), it is considered quite effective over the long-term, with many patients responding very positively after blood levels have reached peak concentrations. Like the other two drugs mentioned above, Lexapro is non-addictive and often provides long-term anxiety relief, even after the medication has been discontinued.

Although I know you said you do not want to use prescription drugs, for many people they are the only effective option...and unlike some of those options, these are not addictive and have a very low rate of side effects in comparison to the highly addictive and side effect ridden benzodiazepines.

Some non-prescription options include KSM-66 and Sensoril, with KSM-66 more suited for day time use and Sensoril for the evening. There are a bunch of other natural options as well, such as L-theanine, lemon balm,etc. Best results are usually achieved by combining several of these at once.

If you're looking for a research chem (inbetween script and OTC from a legality standpoint), fluorinated phenibut is highly effective. Although it is often called fluorinated phenibut, structurally it is cross between phenibut and gabapentin and supplies a mixed effect profile. It is 10X stronger than phenibut (with a more pronounced anxiolytic effect) and a much shorter active life (about 8 hours vs. 2 days). This is a significant benefit, as it allows the individual to get better results with a much lower dosage, while also enabling the individual to use it more frequently without developing physical dependence. This drug can be used roughly 3-4X per week without developing dependence issues.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You are prob a “responder” to modafinil. Unfortunately it doesn’t do much for me. They think the enhancing effects of the drug are related to whether or not you have a specific variant in a dopamine gene. I have the one version of the gene shown in studies to not respond to modafinil. Or at least for me it doesn’t do anything caffeine doesn’t do. It’s a very interesting drug though, and influences practically every neurotransmitter, so it can deff elevate mood, especially if you are stim sensitive.
That's how it effects me as well

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The influence stimulants have on personality or behavior likely stems from whatever personality type you are to begin with. If you are an introvert like me, and an analyst (NT), likely stims will make you want to get away from people and get back to being “productive”, whereas I know extroverted individuals that might have anxiety or lack of confidence but want to socialize find stims let them get out of their shell some and be more like themselves.
No, it actually has to do with the chemical structure of modafinil. Having R and the S isomers, if you are an extrovert, like I am, it typically will make you very alert and talkative, but only about whatever task you are focused on at that time. Modafinil "feels" much stronger and is very task oriented. Interruptions to these tasks can be irritating. It's not really a social stimulant, but more of a "let's get things done".

Armodafinil, which I happen to much prefer, is similar, but only contains the S isomer, and has a much cleaner feel with a slower ramp up. It provides the wakefulness and desire to get things done, but it is not as much of a punch in the face. So the onset is longer and the half life is longer while making you feel more comfortable and not as stimmed out.

As you mention stims affect people differently and for an extrovert as myself, it can be a bit much. I love my stims, but some really crack me out- I can’t stand DMAA. On the flip side, they can make an introvert feel uncomfortable by being taken out of their comfort zone. But, we can't lump finils into just stimulants. They are a different animal.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
F Phenibut seems pretty interesting but since I started reading about it around a year ago, I haven seen much on it. I like that it has a shorter life and faster onset because that really ruined Phenibut for me. I didn’t know when it would kick in and then it lasted for days, so I’d be in a fog the whole next day.

Scott4bama15

Awards
Are you on long term prescription drugs like ssri's, ssni's to boost happy chemicals?

going low is part of the process, thats when the weak crumble. I know its cliche, when you least expect it, when things are at their lowest, things get better.
Well said brother. Agreed.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
For me it’s Kratom and 5-HTP. I’m very responsive to 5-HTP and haven’t gotten the dosing right yet but it seems like 50-75mg daily and it works better than the Paroxetine that I recently quit taking after being on for 4 years. Next step is to drop the Kratom and add either GABA or Picamillon. Phenibut is great but like many have stated it is addictive and has the same downsides as benzodiazepines. I tried picamillon once but maybe I was looking for it to be as strong as phenibut.
I will say that when I take GABA in its regular form I deff get an anxiolytic effect. I’ve tried it multiple times and ruled out placebo just from the consistency with each dose. However, all the research out there says GABA taken orally doesn’t really get through the BBB...so this is one of those issues that I will say I’d go off personal experimentation rather than the research. Maybe it works indirectly through other neurotransmitters or decreases cns gaba efflux. Idk but I deff think it’s a good alternative to Rx anxiolytics, assuming panic attacks or ptsd isn’t the issue being treated

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Emoxypine is an antioxidant that is similar in chemical structure to Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6). Its mechanism of action involves its ability to function as an antioxidant and its membrane protective effects.

Users of this supplement can expect to experience anti-stress, neuroprotective effects, anti-inflammation and nootropic properties when using this ingredient. This is due to its ability to inhibit free radical oxidation, increase the activity of antioxidant enzymes, play a key role in the modulation of the receptor complexes of the brain membranes and the activity of membrane-bound enzymes, stabilise bio-membranes and increase the dopamine content in the brain.
I would be curious if this is something that works better for long term use as it does have some health benefits.
Choline and Vitamin B-12 could be a significantly cheaper substitute for Emoxypine. CDP and Alpha-GPC have been shown to increase BDNF, improve neurotransmittion and is a component of membrane sheaths.
Improving and strengthening physical brain health could/should help improve overall cognition and psychological health.

gijoe69

Awards
i have anxiety issues. I do not want to go the route of prescriptions and have tried to manage it on my own through, exercise and running. Im on holy basil and kava kava during the day, and I take valerian at night as i have sleep problems. So far im managing. Anxiety sucks, sometimes im literally paralyze with fear. I have turned to my Catholic roots and researched the bibles take on it, this is helpful for those that want to take that route. Phenibut was helpful, but i only took it sporadically as I know its addicting, and really the only thing I want to be addicted to is training.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
i have anxiety issues. I do not want to go the route of prescriptions and have tried to manage it on my own through, exercise and running. Im on holy basil and kava kava during the day, and I take valerian at night as i have sleep problems. So far im managing. Anxiety sucks, sometimes im literally paralyze with fear. I have turned to my Catholic roots and researched the bibles take on it, this is helpful for those that want to take that route. Phenibut was helpful, but i only took it sporadically as I know its addicting, and really the only thing I want to be addicted to is training.
Look into lavender oil capsules 80 mg per. The burps taste disgusting (in my opinion, which is why I stopped it. Some like it tho or don’t experience it) but it’s very effective for the type of anxiety you have.

Wildcat528

Wildcat528

Awards
  • Established
Well said brother. Agreed.
That's a really ignorant and asinine view that you share with someone clearly uneducated on mental disorders. As someone who did grad work in the neurological disorder field as well as in the industry for years it is simply idiotic to have the "just be tough and get over it" mindset. We're not talking about something acute like a breakup or that your dog died. In that sense yes, it's likely unnecessary to pursue medication to treat it. It's certainly depressing but it will fade and you can likely get through it by yourself or with counseling. However, with a Chronic disorder, that is simply not the case. In many cases it's a matter of biochemical imbalances with various substrates/receptors/chemicals/etc. and you can't "will" your body to start producing chemicals that it simply isn't capable of producing. And in many cases counseling is simply a waste of time, because nothing is "wrong". You can't talk your system into changing. The options usually end up being either medication that corrects the imbalances or you just sit there in your depressive or anxious state. And to call the medications "happy pills" is just as asinine. When you have a chemical deficiency and you take medication is doesn't make you super happy and giddy. All it does is put your system at a "normal" state and correct the imbalance or deficiency. You don't prance around you just feel as a normal person would. Which in many cases is the point. It reduces the, in many cases, extremely negative symptoms of the disorder. You don't feel giddy you just don't feel extremely depressed/anxious/etc. which is the normal state of your body. I would hope that you, and everyone for that matter, perform the proper and adequate research to have an educated perspective on the subject before offending those who live it every day.

Reactions: Nac
rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's a really ignorant and asinine view that you share with someone clearly uneducated on mental disorders. As someone who did grad work in the neurological disorder field as well as in the industry for years it is simply idiotic to have the "just be tough and get over it" mindset. We're not talking about something acute like a breakup or that your dog died. In that sense yes, it's likely unnecessary to pursue medication to treat it. It's certainly depressing but it will fade and you can likely get through it by yourself or with counseling. However, with a Chronic disorder, that is simply not the case. In many cases it's a matter of biochemical imbalances with various substrates/receptors/chemicals/etc. and you can't "will" your body to start producing chemicals that it simply isn't capable of producing. And in many cases counseling is simply a waste of time, because nothing is "wrong". You can't talk your system into changing. The options usually end up being either medication that corrects the imbalances or you just sit there in your depressive or anxious state. And to call the medications "happy pills" is just as asinine. When you have a chemical deficiency and you take medication is doesn't make you super happy and giddy. All it does is put your system at a "normal" state and correct the imbalance or deficiency. You don't prance around you just feel as a normal person would. Which in many cases is the point. It reduces the, in many cases, extremely negative symptoms of the disorder. You don't feel giddy you just don't feel extremely depressed/anxious/etc. which is the normal state of your body. I would hope that you, and everyone for that matter, perform the proper and adequate research to have an educated perspective on the subject before offending those who live it every day.
Well said! Also there is no such thing as a happy pill. Dexedrine is the closest thing to happy pill IME, and that I don't even talk anymore. I think it made my problem worse.

Anyone who has ever taken and SSRIs know how much they suck. At least at first, and for some the side effects never go away. These medication present just as much challenges as if you weren't taking them, but they allow you to overcome things that you previous couldn't, as a chemical imbalance wouldn't allow you to.

It could literally be the difference between life and death for some.

I tried them the allowed my to make progress. However, they messed with the way I put my thoughts together. I hated that!! As the way I think and go about things is what makes me, well me, and makes me good at thing that I do that most suck at. And well losing that was something I couldn't deal with so I decided for me I was better off with out them.

Now I'm waiting to try NSI-189. I just can't source it, if anyone know where to get these please pm.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Anyone who has ever taken and SSRIs know how much they suck. At least at first, and for some the side effects never go away. These medication present just as much challenges as if you weren't taking them, but they allow you to overcome things that you previous couldn't, as a chemical imbalance wouldn't allow you to.
Coming off an SSRI was one of the scariest things I've ever had to do. It was like a month long panic attack with the ****ing brain zaps, but it was worth it for what I was able to get through when on it.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Coming off an SSRI was one of the scariest things I've ever had to do. It was like a month long panic attack with the ****ing brain zaps, but it was worth it for what I was able to get through when on it.
Brain zaps those were miserable. Did you ever get the sensation that feels like your brain was sunburnt?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Brain zaps those were miserable. Did you ever get the sensation that feels like your brain was sunburnt?
No, I was spared that, but the whole experience just sucked. I wanted to start taking them again to make it stop, but knew I needed to power through.

gijoe69

Awards
i have tried calm aid, i took it for 10 days but didn't notice any improvement. maybe i wasnt taking enough. i took one a day. if it helps me, i can get over any taste. im weird, if its a healthy thing, i kinda already put the the idea in my head it wont taste bad, and im fine. im a health freak so taste isnt as important as giving my body what it needs. im probably alone in that lol.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No, I was spared that, but the whole experience just sucked. I wanted to start taking them again to make it stop, but knew I needed to power through.
Can you explain a brain zap? I’ve heard this a lot but have no idea what it is or how it would be described. I’m genuinely interested.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Can you explain a brain zap? I’ve heard this a lot but have no idea what it is or how it would be described. I’m genuinely interested.
Honestly it's indescribable, unless you've experienced. Its like trying to describe an lsd trip, of which you've "entered" a dimension, which you don't even understand, to a person who's never used any drugs.

Mike Arnold

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Truth

DoubleM101

DoubleM101

Awards
  • Established
I suffer from Anxiety and Agoraphobia and it really sucks.

I always have been a very "nervous" person but i never stopped doing anything because of that. However, since my first panic attack occured, things got really worse and i started to avoid every single situation where i got one. Agoraphobia developed and life quality reduced massively. I stopped doing things i like for fearing a new panic attack.

The only prescribed drug i take is Alprazolam only when needed which is very very rare since i avoid most of the problematic situations. I took an SSRI for a month many years ago when i didn't know anything about them but now i refuse to take them... Those possible side effects really scare me. Maybe i'm not doing the right choose but who knows...

About supplements i already tried a lot of things and unfortunately i never found one which really helped me. Some of them seems to calm me a little more if i'm already "calmed" but none of them seems to help in accute situations. Neither Alprazolam (0.5 - 1mg dosages) does miracles.

I suspect there must be a chemical imbalance in my body because my father suffers from the same thing , so i guess it's something inherited. I wish to know what and how could i fix it.

After trying many supplements it seems the few that somehow works on me are the ones which reduces Cortisol. I'm currently taking Ashwagandha and Relora and it seems they are helping a little. They don't prevent Anxiety but it seems i can manage it better. On the other hand, last time i took 5HTP i felt really really worse. When searching, i found out 5HTP could increase Cortisol. So maybe i'm getting somewhere. I don't know if Cortisol is the main cause or a symptom of the main problem but it seems to be related with my Anxiety.

Any thoughts about that? Theres anything stronger (and preferably side effects free) i could try to reduce Cortisol to see how things will go?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Have you ever had a minor electric shock? I guess the best way I can explain it is that it felt like that in my head. I can't recall a specific region that it happened in and would occur at random. There would be sometimes though that it would happen repeatedly in a day. I was finishing up a post-doc at the time and could barely do my work for that month. The mechanism of action isn't really understood, so I'm guessing it's just from the body acclimating back to "normal."

PredNutrition

PredNutrition

Awards
Hydrapharm Emoxypine can be used for the long-term to provide neuro-protective effects, anti-stress and anti-anxiety effects, anti-oxidant benefits and anti-inflammatory effects.

It works differently to all other nootropics as it helps to protect neurons and increase blood flow to the brain, whereas other nootropics exert their influence or alter the behaviour of neurotransmitters in the brain.

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
I use Ginko and PEA along with Curcumin and Berberine as a MAOi. Also, my classic tea (4 cups a day) to reduce cortisol. It does help!

Ginko seems to heal the broken pathways.

DoubleM101

DoubleM101

Awards
  • Established
Hydrapharm Emoxypine can be used for the long-term to provide neuro-protective effects, anti-stress and anti-anxiety effects, anti-oxidant benefits and anti-inflammatory effects.

It works differently to all other nootropics as it helps to protect neurons and increase blood flow to the brain, whereas other nootropics exert their influence or alter the behaviour of neurotransmitters in the brain.
It seems it's out of stock. Any estimated date?

DoubleM101

DoubleM101

Awards
  • Established
Anyone tried Black Seed Oil / Black Cumin / Nigella sativa?

It seems besides many other health benefits it has some anxiolytic properties. I have read some reviews and it seems some people reacted very well to it concerning Anxiety/Panic Attacks but it could be placebo effect, marketing, etc.

ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
I suffer from Anxiety and Agoraphobia and it really sucks.

I always have been a very "nervous" person but i never stopped doing anything because of that. However, since my first panic attack occured, things got really worse and i started to avoid every single situation where i got one. Agoraphobia developed and life quality reduced massively. I stopped doing things i like for fearing a new panic attack.

The only prescribed drug i take is Alprazolam only when needed which is very very rare since i avoid most of the problematic situations. I took an SSRI for a month many years ago when i didn't know anything about them but now i refuse to take them... Those possible side effects really scare me. Maybe i'm not doing the right choose but who knows...

About supplements i already tried a lot of things and unfortunately i never found one which really helped me. Some of them seems to calm me a little more if i'm already "calmed" but none of them seems to help in accute situations. Neither Alprazolam (0.5 - 1mg dosages) does miracles.

I suspect there must be a chemical imbalance in my body because my father suffers from the same thing , so i guess it's something inherited. I wish to know what and how could i fix it.

After trying many supplements it seems the few that somehow works on me are the ones which reduces Cortisol. I'm currently taking Ashwagandha and Relora and it seems they are helping a little. They don't prevent Anxiety but it seems i can manage it better. On the other hand, last time i took 5HTP i felt really really worse. When searching, i found out 5HTP could increase Cortisol. So maybe i'm getting somewhere. I don't know if Cortisol is the main cause or a symptom of the main problem but it seems to be related with my Anxiety.

Any thoughts about that? Theres anything stronger (and preferably side effects free) i could try to reduce Cortisol to see how things will go?
talk to a doctor,and if they dont help you talk to another one and another one, xanax should only be used sparingly and in extreme situations.

propranolol worked wonder for me as far as taking away my racing heart and shaky voice
SSRI's made it worst every single one i tried
a combination or nortrptiline and buspar have helped me for GAD.

Scott4bama15

Awards
I actually have a diagnosed anxiety disorder and I’ve recently tapered off an SSRI. I’m continuing to learn better coping methods as well as trying more natural approaches. I mean no disrespect in agreeing with his statement. What I have noticed in myself though is that sometimes I find myself looking at myself a little too much. I think there’s a balance required of acknowledging the disorder without bathing in self pity and I think that I do that from time to time. Anxiety attacks tend to start a negative thought pattern and it’s easy for me to become ungrateful for the things that are right in my life. I should have been more specific by stating that maybe that’s what I needed to hear at the moment.

Pec.Major

Awards
  • Established
How effective is Bacopa for anxiety and sleep/insomnia issues? I currently take KSM-66, which helps with anxiety and calmness, but does not help with my insomnia or obsessive thoughts. I have heard that Bacopa is sedative for some people, might be worth to try, right?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I actually have a diagnosed anxiety disorder and I’ve recently tapered off an SSRI. I’m continuing to learn better coping methods as well as trying more natural approaches. I mean no disrespect in agreeing with his statement. What I have noticed in myself though is that sometimes I find myself looking at myself a little too much. I think there’s a balance required of acknowledging the disorder without bathing in self pity and I think that I do that from time to time. Anxiety attacks tend to start a negative thought pattern and it’s easy for me to become ungrateful for the things that are right in my life. I should have been more specific by stating that maybe that’s what I needed to hear at the moment.
Im glad you got off an SSRI. I was once on three or so drugs at once, I didn't even know what they had me all on. Wellbutrin was one. anyways it was a very,very low point, I wasnt myself, withdrew, cried, depressed, felt sorry for myself. Self pity causes an opiate certain feeling thats addictive, and as everyone knows tolerance builds and to get the same effect you must do more and more to get that "high". Its cliche; however so very, very true, Thoughts are powerful. I still cry.

I've been through a lot in my life however I have no regrets. Ive made mistakes, and yes I've gotten sad however its not useful to sit in pity and go over all my mistakes i've made. Talking to other people helps a lot and getting their feelings , and when I get 3-4 different perspectives on my issue, I can sort through them, and use what is useful, and discard what isn't, because everyone has useful points that can help you tremendously and unuseful points that can make things worse for you. This is where wisdom separating the two come in. The best thing I can do is realize what I want improve on, and work on improving my bad habits

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How effective is Bacopa for anxiety and sleep/insomnia issues? I currently take KSM-66, which helps with anxiety and calmness, but does not help with my insomnia or obsessive thoughts. I have heard that Bacopa is sedative for some people, might be worth to try, right?
Some like it, I found it did nothing really. Part of the issue is that it is not acute in action and therefore it's difficult to know when it is actually working or if it is at all.

NeuroTropic

NeuroTropic

Banned
Awards
Silexan I think is a better approach. It's an herbal drug for sleep, anxiety, etc but safe and effective.

Scott4bama15

Awards
I was curious if it was Propranolol. I know a few executives that swear by it before large meetings.
I’m thinking of going this route just to have a safety net. I would probably have peace of mind knowing that I have that option.

Scott4bama15

Awards
I didn’t get brain zaps this time. It was actually about 5-6 weeks before it really got rough. I missed work on a Thursday and Friday with flu-like symptoms. My faith is most definitely stronger now though.