Strongman Comps.

Cpo

Cpo

Awards
  • Established
Ok, I'e always loved watching these strongman comps and have always wnated to participate in one. However, being 24yrs old 5'8 and only 165lbs puts me at a disadvantage. I would love to start training towards a competion like this but not really sure how to alter my body, mind, and training towards something like this.

I understand I have a very long way to go but need some advice on how to begin.

Rommel65

Awards
Hmm?

Ok, I'e always loved watching these strongman comps and have always wnated to participate in one. However, being 24yrs old 5'8 and only 165lbs puts me at a disadvantage. I would love to start training towards a competion like this but not really sure how to alter my body, mind, and training towards something like this.

I understand I have a very long way to go but need some advice on how to begin.
I've been researching the hell out of this. I also want to compete and have been in contact with a few pros. I wanted to know if I had what it took, turns out....I do. I'm 6'5 and around 300. My weight numbers are very good, and I am stronger now than I have ever been, over 500 on bench. Your biggest fault will be your height and short arms. Being only 5'8, you wont be able to wrap your arms around the stones, or put them ontop of the pillars. At least this is what I have learned from speaking with people who do it.

RobbyG66

Awards
Just don't compete heavy weight. You will be fine with the boys at 230 and under. I'm 5'10 and I compete with the big boys doesn't stop me one bit. Just makes some events not your best.

Cpo

Cpo

Awards
  • Established
How Do I alter my training to increase my overall being to compete?

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Cpo - welcome to the world of strongman ;-)

This is the website that got me started. You can find competitions near you, as well as search the forum for people near your location to train with. One thing I will tell you...it doesn't matter how strong you are in the gym. You need to train the events you compete in. I'm pretty sure I could out-lift every single guy I have competed against in the gym...but they train the events, and are stronger than me in them. TRAIN THE EVENTS!

That is my tidbit for the day. Here is the website.
http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/

RobbyG66

Awards
If you are training strictly for strongman the lifts you want to focus on are overhead lifts such as push press. Then you have dead lifts which is a very function lift and replicated in competition often. Squat is still important, but isn't replicated in competition much and bench well there is almost no events that require you to press anything with u flat on your back. You will want to mix in a good amount of events in your training. You can get the events that you will have to do ahead of time for the comp work those into your training regiment.

Harland

Harland

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If you are training strictly for strongman the lifts you want to focus on are overhead lifts such as push press. Then you have dead lifts which is a very function lift and replicated in competition often. Squat is still important, but isn't replicated in competition much and bench well there is almost no events that require you to press anything with u flat on your back. You will want to mix in a good amount of events in your training. You can get the events that you will have to do ahead of time for the comp work those into your training regiment.
good advice

also the advice to check out the NAS website is a good idea as well. I do alot of my goal planning and scheduling based on competitions posted on the site.

if you want to train for strongman, you need to re think everything.

there is no more going into the gym and doing cable tricep kickbacks, there is only hard raw lifting.

with that being said, im currently doing wendlers 5/3/1 as my basis for what i do in the gym. Focusing on my main lifts, DEADLIFT, SQUAT, standing OH PRESS, and since i wanted to give wendlers program a try without modifying it... BENCH.

I was going to do a writeup for another site on the basis of getting started, implement wise, if you can't find a gym close to you.

the best investment i have made so far, is my sled!!!!
- went and got a cheap metal 6.3 cubic feet wheelbarrow, cost me about 50 bucks.
- got 16-18 feet of think chain, and got a straight bar attachment.
-- took of the wheel and other bull**** to just give me the barrow part.
-- drilled 4 holes wide enough for the chain to flow through, 2 in the front, half way from the bottom and ab out 4 inches apart, and 1 on each side.
-- i think put the chain through the holes in a manner where the main force of each pull comes from the side of the barrow, instead of the front.

Ive only had 500lbs in it, and was using that for medleys and it was holding up nice.
- it makes noise on concrete and there are ways to put stuff on the bottom to prevent that, but im lazy.

I also take it to my back yard, or a field and do conditioning training with pulling the sled for laps around the yard, etc. or doing sled sprints. IE: the other day i had 80lbs and did 20 sprints, which each sprint being 125+ feet.

I got a 600lb tire for free just using craigslist, i had to buy my farmers walk handles but they are good, only had them up to 250lbs each, so far. FREE WEIGHT is a must, i found a lot of good deals on craiglist of people selling benches with 300lbs of weight etc. but my old job sells plate weight, and i got 460lbs for 140bucks, so i got a good deal. I had to buy my atlas stone mold, i got the 21 inch mold that can make ~354lb stone, been too lazy to mix the concrete for that yet. I got two different people getting me kegs, which should be easy to get, just find some underage dudes, that don't want to turn in the kegs they just drank. Other then that, conditioning, overhead press, and deadlift you can also do in the gym.

just train hard, and find the things that work for you.

Cpo

Cpo

Awards
  • Established
Sorry for my absence in this thread. Holdiays and all...anyways thanks for the advice guys, Im going to check out the website and get back to you all and how I will alter my training when I have a little bit mroe time.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
CPO, there is a 175 and under weight class that would fit you well. The only problem is that there is a real lack of competitors at that weight (Only 2 guys at nationals in 08). Generally the smaller contests are divided into a 231 and under class and a 232 + class. The bigger ones have classes at 175, 200, 231, 265, 300, 300+. 200 is a pretty decent weight class and could be something to work for. There are a fair amount of guys in Florida to train with too.

Cpo

Cpo

Awards
  • Established
CPO, there is a 175 and under weight class that would fit you well. The only problem is that there is a real lack of competitors at that weight (Only 2 guys at nationals in 08). Generally the smaller contests are divided into a 231 and under class and a 232 + class. The bigger ones have classes at 175, 200, 231, 265, 300, 300+. 200 is a pretty decent weight class and could be something to work for. There are a fair amount of guys in Florida to train with too.
I'm still reasearching more and I found that 231 is usually the smallest weight class like you said. Thank you for the information. I am going to be writing up my training log here soon and see how it will compare to the movements I will need.

This will be something completely new since I'm use to a more isolated workout.

I am mostly concerned with adding on weight and the over head pushes. I hurt my shoulder when I was on a cycle of dbol, (seems when I'm a cycle, the pain isnt there)

Looks like there are competions on 1/30/2010 and 3/13/2010 here in Flroida. I probably won't be ready for either of them but I am going to try to make to these and observe.

Harland

Harland

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm still reasearching more and I found that 231 is usually the smallest weight class like you said. Thank you for the information. I am going to be writing up my training log here soon and see how it will compare to the movements I will need.

This will be something completely new since I'm use to a more isolated workout.

I am mostly concerned with adding on weight and the over head pushes. I hurt my shoulder when I was on a cycle of dbol, (seems when I'm a cycle, the pain isnt there)

Looks like there are competions on 1/30/2010 and 3/13/2010 here in Flroida. I probably won't be ready for either of them but I am going to try to make to these and observe.
that 1/30/10 comp in clearwater... should be fun.

and you dont really have to worry about classes yet, because if a comp has a novice class you can just enter that. Im still considered a novice myself, since ive only done one comp and didn't place in the top three.

Cpo

Cpo

Awards
  • Established
that 1/30/10 comp in clearwater... should be fun.

and you dont really have to worry about classes yet, because if a comp has a novice class you can just enter that. Im still considered a novice myself, since ive only done one comp and didn't place in the top three.
Yea, I'm gogin to try to make it out there (2.5 hr drive :) )My goal is to hit 200-215. I think I will give myself some time before I try to compete. I think training and going to these comps to watch them and talk to a few people there will help.

What part of FL you from?

Harland

Harland

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yea, I'm gogin to try to make it out there (2.5 hr drive :) )My goal is to hit 200-215. I think I will give myself some time before I try to compete. I think training and going to these comps to watch them and talk to a few people there will help.

What part of FL you from?
you hit the nail on the head, i was in the same boat as you, i was around 232-235 and was contemplating which class i should shoot for before even trying it out. So i talked to some people online and then i found a show in orlando back in november, i had never done a single strongman event or anything outside the gym before. So I trained a little harder in the gym and went out that day and did the novice class at like 256 and i took 7th out of 14 people, when i was ranked as high as 5th, with placing in the top three in a couple events.

I was pretty happy with my first time competing, so i sold some junk around the house and got some basic stuff to train with. Im still a novice, and i want to eventually compete as a heavyweight, so im going to try and make that comp at the end of jan, im going to try and come in lighter maybe ~245 or so and be a little faster on my feet, lol.

but it all comes down to just doing it. There where guys in the novice class that couldn't complete some events, and there were even some heavyweight guys that didn't do very well in their events. It was a blast though, and the atmosphere was good.

Harland

Harland

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i just talked to tom and he said that the novice class is open right now, as in all novices are just thrown into one group, but if there are alot of them they will split it up.

but make sure you check out the website http://www.floridastrongman.com/index.php?refer=upcoming

they have lowered the weights on almost everything and they took out the tug of war and added a 2'' thick bar deadlift last man standing!!!!!

this should be a very interesting, fun comp.