Stress Fracture of Fifth Metatarsal - Need Healing Advice!!!!!

d22

Awards
Hello everyone, this is my first post here!

I self-diagnosed myself with a mid-shaft stress fracture of the fifth metatarsal after some extensive reading last night - all the symptoms described me to a tee, along with how it occurred (Went from no running to my first 5 mile run in under 6 weeks wearing tennis shoes....)

I can tell it is a minor break as there is no swelling or pain when walking. I really don't want to, but should I definitely still wear a walking boot for 4-6 weeks until it is healed properly? I was thinking some insoles and extra socks might be enough to keep the stress down on it, but my job involves alot of walking (3-6 miles a day).

This has really pissed me off and I am willing to do whatever it takes to heal, including wearing a walking boot if that is what I have to do...anyone with advice or experience???

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Been there, 3 yrs ago busted my 4 metatarsal, sadly you broke a "*****" of a area as my foot surgeon told me. I now own 2 screws in my foot, because its a hard place to heal right, you might re break all over agian...

Go see a Dr and see what they say, and now 3 yrs later I am the local weather girl, when it rains/snows as it does alot in NE, It throbs like you cant imagine.

Good luck :) heal quick

d22

Awards
toughchick401: How bad was your break? I don't want to sound like I am ignoring your advice, I may very well go to a doctor, but I just have a feeling that they will recommend the walking boot and I'll be out $100+ (I have insurance, but it's kinda like minimum coverage option).

Did you have any pain or soreness while walking? That is the number one sign that makes me think that I could be alright without a doc, the fact there is really only SLIGHT soreness sometimes at the end of a day after my foot cools down from a day of walking like 5+ miles at work.

But if you really really think I should go to the doc regardless let me know, I just may do that within the next week or so.

BTW - Injury occured around 5-6 weeks ago...at first I was just in denial and kept thinking it was a soft tissue injury, then I realized "oh crap, it's not healing..."

tattoopierced1

having anything wrong with your health, you should go to the Dr. You may look back and wish you would have spent that $100 if you mess it up even more. IMO, never mess around with your health, you only get one chance at stuff.