Votes: 38 48.7%
  • Street Fighter

Votes: 40 51.3%

• Total voters
xxtruxx1

xxtruxx1

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I'm a HUGE Tekken fan, but comparing MK to SF..I'll take Mortal Kombat. The finishing moves have my heart, specially "babalities".

millerman

Awards
While I am a huge SF fan, I must say that the funnest fighting game I have ever played is Tekken Tag. Just imagine, four people, two of which are screaming, "tag! tag!" Then coming in to kick some ****, only to have the other guy tag at the last second and kick the **** outta you. All while you're other partner is yelling for you to tag but you think you got it. And then you think, 'If I tag, he'll probably die, I have the better chance' or 'If he dies, I can put the blame on him!'. Nothing beats Tekken Tag....God I wish they would come out with SF Tag...

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
The newest MK game coming out not only plays like Shaolin Monks in Konquest mode, it also has "Kreate a Fighter" and "Kreate a Fatality". Yep, you cna create your own character and pick their fighting styles as well as create your own fatalities, what they do, and what moves you do during it.
That sounds awesome...!

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
Personally, I'm a HUGE Tekken fan, but comparing MK to SF..I'll take Mortal Kombat. The finishing moves have my heart, specially "babalities".
Agreed. Jin and Kazuya were my favs? Could you ever pull off the multi combos with King in Tekken Tag?

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Heh, yeah that was a good one. Who remembers Clayfighter? lol

Big Matt

Big Matt

All The Whey Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
The newest MK game coming out not only plays like Shaolin Monks in Konquest mode, it also has "Kreate a Fighter" and "Kreate a Fatality". Yep, you cna create your own character and pick their fighting styles as well as create your own fatalities, what they do, and what moves you do during it.

Kreate a Fatality sounds awesome!!

MK all the Whey! (rimshot) LOL!

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
C'mon guys... it's all about Capcom's Power Stone.

Sega's Virtual-On is right there as well in terms of uniqueness.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
remember pit fighter? lol.
I wonder how many quarters I pumped into that game at the arcade?

My as far as SF or MK I would have to go with MK. The new create your character and fatality sounds pretty cool. Kind of surprised that it wasn't done sooner though.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I wonder how many quarters I pumped into that game at the arcade?

My as far as SF or MK I would have to go with MK. The new create your character and fatality sounds pretty cool. Kind of surprised that it wasn't done sooner though.
Probably because the tools they used to creating fatalities weren't dynamic until now.

Create a fighter though they should have done sooner. That one is cake. It's easy to generate a large set of various fighting styles and weapon styles, and skeletal animations are standard in games these days.

I wanna see ragdoll physics in a fighting game though. Obviously pointless for the 1-on-1 fights, but for the Shaolin Monks type stuff it would be great.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
On a side note, Tekken was an awesome game. Very realistic, the grappling especially. I could do some damage with Heihachi (he dressed like a pimp)

Tekken had some creative characters too. The robot ninja, the tree-guy (Mukojin?) the panda bear, the giant demon guy.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
On a side note, Tekken was an awesome game. Very realistic, the grappling especially. I could do some damage with Heihachi (he dressed like a pimp)

Tekken had some creative characters too. The robot ninja, the tree-guy (Mukojin?) the panda bear, the giant demon guy.
Best Tekken was Tekken Tag so far.

My favorite character in Tekken was Eddy Gordo. Capoeira is just too cool. Actually IMO Tekken is resonsible for popularizing it.

Heck, I remember playing Tekken 3 in the arcade, both me and this dude were Eddy. We were pretty evenly matched, but I remember him naming some of the moves, and saying which ones he could do and stuff. I asked where he learned it, and he told me about a place in NYC so I actually went there and took lessons for a couple months. It was some wild stuff, and IMO, it doesn't take long before you can do some things that are pretty darn impressive looking.

I learned the basic high and low stances, a whole bunch of transitions, cartwheels, a few kick types, and a couple cool moves. The most fun part about it was figuring out how to link things on your own, and how to create inventive transitions. i.e. transitions where you are expecting to do one thing but you completely reverse your action in a fluid manner and go right into either a different stance or different move.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Best Tekken was Tekken Tag so far.

My favorite character in Tekken was Eddy Gordo. Capoeira is just too cool. Actually IMO Tekken is resonsible for popularizing it.

Heck, I remember playing Tekken 3 in the arcade, both me and this dude were Eddy. We were pretty evenly matched, but I remember him naming some of the moves, and saying which ones he could do and stuff. I asked where he learned it, and he told me about a place in NYC so I actually went there and took lessons for a couple months. It was some wild stuff, and IMO, it doesn't take long before you can do some things that are pretty darn impressive looking.
Indeed. Capoeria is visually stunning. Apparently it is good in combat too but I'd have to see it to beleive it. What I find interesting is the history of it. How they disguised the martial art to be a dance/celebration, but they were actually training in combat. Kinda neat.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Indeed. Capoeria is visually stunning. Apparently it is good in combat too but I'd have to see it to beleive it. What I find interesting is the history of it. How they disguised the martial art to be a dance/celebration, but they were actually training in combat. Kinda neat.
If you read about the slave revolt you'll see that while hand to hand the slaves could beat their oppressors usually, they lost a metric crapton of people because the slave owners had guns. You had a situation where there were THOUSANDS of slaves for every few dozen slave owners. You think the southern US had a lot of slaves, that was nothing compared to Brazil.

As for how effective it is in a fight, I would say against most other martial arts: not very.

I consider Capoeira a performance art.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
If you read about the slave revolt you'll see that while hand to hand the slaves could beat their oppressors usually, they lost a metric crapton of people because the slave owners had guns. You had a situation where there were THOUSANDS of slaves for every few dozen slave owners. You think the southern US had a lot of slaves, that was nothing compared to Brazil.

As for how effective it is in a fight, I would say against most other martial arts: not very.

I consider Capoeira a performance art.
Agreed. Very interesting about the slave thing.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
SF was my favorite. The fights were more realistic and some of the settings were great. I liked kicking Vegas' ass in Spain. Only thing I didn't like was the ease of beating the big Russian guy, someone who's that big and scary looking shouldn't be so easy to beat. The SF characters were easier to identify with because they didn't use some super fancy weapons and they all had a unique style.

liquid_diet

liquid_diet

Board Sponsor
Awards
I've never really been that big into video games, but for some reason Street Fighter II really sucked me in. I played the hell out of the first SFII and Champions Addition. Wow that was awhile ago.....

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
KI was great...loved the Soul Caliber games... but my favorites are ThrillKill (never released...eventually became the Wu-Tang Game...) and Mace: The Dark Ages....with the Powerstone games comming in close.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
No King Of Fighters on your list? Shenanigans!

I voted Street Fighter because Capcom vs. SNK had all my KoF's representin.

Sonic Boom!

Wow, way to bring back an old post...who bump this up to recent?

Last edited:
VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No King Of Fighters on your list? Shenanigans!

I voted Street Fighter because Capcom vs. SNK had all my KoF's representin.

Sonic Boom!

Wow, way to bring back an old post...who bump this up to recent?
hahaha, no KOF.. that's hilarious!

How did I miss this thread and seriously, how is MK so close to SF2 on the polls?

methodice

methodice

Awards
  • Established
Started on SF2 and overall I have enjoyed it more than MK. SF2 hyper fighting was my fave.

Other notable fighting games I have enjoyed:

-Art of Fighting -somehow, they made fireballs and dragon punches so hard to execute compared to SF2
-Samurai Showdown
-Fighters History

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
samurai showdown is a good game, too bad some of its in french "IPPON!!!!"

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm all about the SF 3rd Strike and Tekken

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
Tough choice between either, as I think I lost tons of time to both. If I had to choose one, while I thought I liked Mortal Kombat better, I'm going to have to give the win to Street Fighter based on 2 reasons:
1. I seem to remember more characters from SF
2. I think I had more enjoyable times playing SF with my friends.

On my floor in res, it seemed like everyone had a different fav character for SF. I started out with E.Honda and ended up with Bison. I remember my friend who loves the dalsim yoga dude and he made me laugh. I also remember I was the only one on the floor who could beat the the most skilled guy on the floor. He played either Ryu or Ken (can't remember), and I could beat him with Bison. I just remember how p1ssed he got at that because he was typically undefeated, lol. It was always a weird battle of starting/stopping/faking certain special moves. He'd always have the uppercut thingie ready and I'd usually use either the leg sweep thing or spear to catch him. I'd have to start mine, then he'd do his, then I'd stop then start again and catch him, or something like like. I'm sure my memory of it glorified it way more than what it was at the time, lol.

I remember playing Raiden and some chick with a K who dropped from the ceiling. Sub-zero was cool.

I did like Tekken when it came out too. Haven't played many games since that one. Sometimes too much complication just ruins the fun...at least when you're as dumb/slow as me, lol.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Chun-Li kick! Oh how I miss the good ol days. SF was the sh*t. The arcade was a dangerous place where I lived, bunch of hooligans.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:twisted:

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought ippon was japanese?
it is.......

Ippon (Japanese: 一本) - "one full point", is a highest score a fighter can achieve in a Japanese martial arts ippon-wazari contest, usually Judo, karate or Jiu-Jitsu.

methodice

methodice

Awards
  • Established
The game said something like this when the round started:

"Ippon-me shodu"

Anyone care to translate that one

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
My bad.... i havent played it in years....

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
it is.......

Ippon (Japanese: 一本) - "one full point", is a highest score a fighter can achieve in a Japanese martial arts ippon-wazari contest, usually Judo, karate or Jiu-Jitsu.
That's gangster

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'm sorry, but how can anyone like Mortal Kombat better than Street Fighter? That's like preferring WNBA over NBA.
**prepares to hear from 35 people that voted for MK**

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
To be honest I was the arcade king on Mortal Kombat II, well until this lil punk of a ten year old vietamese dude pwned me :(

I got into MK3 a little but not much it was hands and feet harder than MK2.

I pwned a little on KI Gold with Sabrewolf.

I would love to get a console to play the new MK's .... makes me wanna cry a little....damn estrogen.

Plus

Plus

Equals

Free

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
To be honest I was the arcade king on Mortal Kombat II, well until this lil punk of a ten year old vietamese dude pwned me :(

I got into MK3 a little but not much it was hands and feet harder than MK2.

I pwned a little on KI Gold with Sabrewolf.

I would love to get a console to play the new MK's .... makes me wanna cry a little....damn estrogen.

Plus

Plus

Equals

Free
you should make a DIY on that free play tool.........ive never done it. i guess its self explanitory but i dont think it would work.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
You can don't think all you want :D My friend and I used to play all day for free with this method. He even used to tape it to the underside of the joystick area and act like he was putting credits in.

LOL one time he went round all the machines and maxed out the credits so whoever came along had some free fun.

It was great until I got caught :lol: someone phoned my work "is this 'neoborn', we know what you're doing, you'd better stop" at which point I did :)

(WO/1992/015075) COIN VALIDATORS
A well-known method of fraud associated with coin-operated machines involves attaching string or thread to a genuine coin and then inserting the coin into the machine while holding the string. Once the coin has passed the validating section and caused an appropriate amount of credit to be accumulated, the user is able to stop the coin from passing into a storage section by use of the string. He can then operate the machine to obtain goods or services, and then retrieve the coin, for example, by pressing an escrow return button. U.K. Patent Application No. 9026676.8 in the name of the present applicant provides a solution to this problem, wherein the presence of a thread under tension or the presence of a thick thread is detected. It would be desirable to provide another means of avoiding such fraud and preferably one which does not depend on a user applying tension to the trailing thread.
Probably doesn't work anymore though.

*Note* I do not condone breaking any of the laws of your country, taking any of my advice as truth or genuinely following what I recommend! Everything I say is for entertainment purposes. Obey the laws of your country and be an outstanding citizen!

Last edited:
RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I was good ta MK4. Used to go to the arcade and drop $30 into that thing every friday night

SF and MK are almost dead even right now

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I used to play tsang shun or whatever his name was and could do all the other character moves as well. ... lethal.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was good ta MK4. Used to go to the arcade and drop $30 into that thing every friday night

SF and MK are almost dead even right now
MK is dead, SF 3rd Strike is still alive and kicking, but the new SF 4 coming out looks a bit, eeehhhhhh....

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This poll is rigged. I haven't seen MK in the Arcades since the 90's, give me a break!

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Of those two choices I'd say Street Fighter. SF II was the game for snes when it came out. The guys and I would drink beer and play SF II all night.

MK...I hated the arcade stuff due to the only real difference being the fatalities. They were badass...but the fighting styles of everone was basically the same.

MK got better later on with the different styles and weapons though.

Not on the list, but worth mentioning for sheer brutality, are two semi-related games (same developer)....Time Killers and Bloodstorm. These games were 2d ala SF but with weapons, and you could chop off the opponents limbs and/or decapitate at any time in a match, as well as MK style fatalities and "traps" on the fightscreen where you could impale others like in MK 2.

Personally, I want to see a fight game that's basically Tekken where injuries effect gameplay and theres bone breaking and fatalites. At one time a few years ago there was one in development called Kumate but it got scrapped.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I liked the first two MK's but the game's style just kinda went overboard afterwards for me. In the arcades I prefered the Street Fighter series, especially the Marvel/X-men crossovers, but I hated how they milked SFII for every penny by making 50 different versions of it. I started playing tekken when 3 came out and it's been my favorite fighter since. I'd like mortal kombat more if it wasn't the type of gameplay where you literally have to mash in your entire 10+ string combo as fast as you can before you even start actually landing the blows. Killer Instnct was like that too, and it's a shame, because both those series have that nice, dark style that suits my aesthetics.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I liked the first two MK's but the game's style just kinda went overboard afterwards for me. In the arcades I prefered the Street Fighter series, especially the Marvel/X-men crossovers, but I hated how they milked SFII for every penny by making 50 different versions of it. I started playing tekken when 3 came out and it's been my favorite fighter since. I'd like mortal kombat more if it wasn't the type of gameplay where you literally have to mash in your entire 10+ string combo as fast as you can before you even start actually landing the blows. Killer Instnct was like that too, and it's a shame, because both those series have that nice, dark style that suits my aesthetics.
totally agree with you on all aspects! reps.