• Street Fighter

Votes: 40 51.3%

• Total voters
RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Which is the suprerior fighting game?

MK has been around longer, is more popular, and darker. Plus in MK you get to use weapons (Newer vers.)

But Street Fighter...how cool is that...stereotypes from different cultures...Dhalsim has the stretchy arms, and E. Honda. I think SF is more fun to play.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
I gotta go with SF. Since the first time I played the very first street fighter in the Arcade, i've been hooked. I never could get enough of beating the game with Ken or Ryu. Hell, I watch the series that comes on late nights. MK was good because it had Fatalities, but as far as the fighting aspect goes, street fighter is the better choice. Nothing from MK was better than the hydoken or Shrenuken. Good stuff.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Street Fighter by a mile, unlike MK it's got better over the years with the newer versions e.g. Street Fighter Alpha 2 :D

BLANE

Awards
  • Established
can i say both? the two best fighting series of games ever made!

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
i had to vote sf because when i won my Super Nintendo that was the first game i bought.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Both are great games but SF was more a part of my childhood.

bosco

bosco

Awards
  • Established
mk baby. i love the darkness that surrounds the game. i still have mk1 on supernes and still play it :) i liked the movies they made, even tho the 2nd was kinda cheesy.. but i do enjoy a good street fighter match on occaision. it's more nostalgic.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I still play MK4 for my Nintendo 64, I wish I had a system that could play SF.

Achilles13

Awards
  • Established
You should've put Killer Instinct with the group. That game was kick@$$ as well. I loved the ultra combos.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Killer Instinct!!!

Fulgore pwns you all!!!:D

BV

millerman

Awards
I'm pretty sure Street Figther was around way before MK.

But I'd go with SF. MK got kinda boring after the shock value of blood and fatalities wore off.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Street Fighter w/ Killer Instinct a close second. Tekken series comes in third

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I remember the arcade hall groups crowded around SF.. The top players competing.. then Mortal Kombat came out.. same scenario... People progressed with combos and counters. I had a friend that was mindblowing quick with it.

Sides kind of split. Old schoolers stuck with SF and sassy youngies went with MK.. then the home consoles just went buckwild and I lost it around then.

I liked both, but was way better at MK II

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So many fighting games came about during that time, but SF was the first one to hit it big. Everything else was just a follower on the fighting game bandwagon.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well everything followed Pong too but it doesn't mean they all sucked.

MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
-

So many fighting games came about during that time, but SF was the first one to hit it big. Everything else was just a follower on the fighting game bandwagon.
Killer Instinct is/was the best fighting game EVER, IMO. With Soul Caliber a close 2nd.

BV

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
SF was around before MK. that being said, Super SF II Turbo was my favorite game for many years on super nintendo. that's when they started making a lot more noticeable difference between ryu and ken. on the original SF II, there was hardly any difference. i never got the same vibe with MK, characters didn't seem to be as smooth. got to the point with SFII, that i was going through the entire game on the hardest level without losing a round. nerd? indeed.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well everything followed Pong too but it doesn't mean they all sucked.

MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!!

I never said they sucked.

But now that you mention it, I'm sure if you looked hard enough, you could find a fighting game for "sheltered kids" starring biblical characters.

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Killer Instinct was the best to watch. I think it came out after MK2. I dominated MK1 and 2, but never could get the hang of KI (still fun to watch). The repair guy at the campus arcade would always open up either MK or KI in the morning and hit the credit button numerous times. He'd usually leave me with a couple dozen credits when he had to go look like he was working. those were the days.

Graphics wise I never could get into Street Fighter. Tekken was decent, Soul Caliber pretty good as well.

Anybody ever play Thrill Kill on the Playstation? now that was a twisted fight game. You had to have a modded playstation and get/download a copy since its official release got canned.

TSC

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
I remember the game TSC, it's the game I always wanted to play but never got the chance to :'(

The Wu Tang Clan game more than made up for it though :D

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
perhaps thats why you mentioned it... but the wu-tang game (never played it) was created with the same graphics engine etc. ie, whoever put out wu-tang bought some of the coding from the company that dropped the thrill kill project. I use to know the specifics but that was so long ago.

TSC

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
Killer Instict....god i remember when i first played that at a summer camp and got hooked.....it was the only game i could 'pwn' anyone in....if i was Fulgore you were dead and i would finish you off by turning my head into a machine gun..good times.

as for SF vs MK, i liked MK way better, that was fun.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
lol Yeah, Street Fighter's been around WAY longer than Mortal Kombat. In fact, do you guys remember Fighting Street? Ever wonder why Street Fighter started off as Street Fighter II? Where was Street Fighter I right? Heh, good 'ol Fighting Street. It was a PC game on the old 80/86. Pretty horrible game really. Side scroller.

Capcom really outdid themselves with Street Fighter II though. That game set the standard for nearly every fighting game that followed it. Heh, I don't feel like Mortal Kombat holds a candle to it.

scoher

Awards
I would pick SF over MK, but the Guilty Gear series is my all time favorite.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
SF had more diversity .... at first.

MK at first was very plain with the only difference between characters being their special moves.

However, when MK went 3D it started to get better. The latest game, Deception, was absolutely amazing. The fighting in it was on par or in some cases better than Soul Calibur, Tekken, and DoA, the fatalities are killer as always, the boards have cool unique environment fatalities, and best of all though, the game has a "Konquest" mode. It plays like an RPG. So at this point MK blows everything else away. I spent I dunno how many hours unlocking everything. Some characters, like Liu Kang, were really tough to unlock.

Oh, and if anyone has played MK Shaolin Monks, the next MK game is going to have a Konquest mode that plays like that.

Achilles13

Awards
  • Established
Killer Instict....god i remember when i first played that at a summer camp and got hooked.....it was the only game i could 'pwn' anyone in....if i was Fulgore you were dead and i would finish you off by turning my head into a machine gun..good times.

as for SF vs MK, i liked MK way better, that was fun.
If I have Orchid, Saberwolf, or Cinder, call me Mr.MoneyInTheBank. I'd own you with either of em.

lilkev42

lilkev42

Awards
  • Established
Wow this thread is awesome, takes me back to the days of Sega and Super Nintendo. Man I still have these games, I gotta bust them out one of these days when I have nothing to do. But I vote for Mortal Kombat, although Blanka is my fav. character out of both games. He was the man/beast/weird green thing.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
lol All of you have action on Street Fighter. I can play ANYONE!!! haha But, I'm partial to playin' Ken. I haven't played that game in awhile, but I'm sure that it's like ridin' a bike.

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
Street fighter man!! They actually had mathematical scientists working for the first few games so that every character is balanced. Ryu does his spin kick but Ken can counter with an uppercut. Chun Li does her thousand kicks which hurts, even while blocking. But you can shoot a projectile like Guile's sonic boom to break it up. It's deep, man. er, men.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
shaloin monks...man that game kicks ass, this thread makes me want to start playing video games.

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
lol Yeah, Street Fighter's been around WAY longer than Mortal Kombat. In fact, do you guys remember Fighting Street? Ever wonder why Street Fighter started off as Street Fighter II? Where was Street Fighter I right? Heh, good 'ol Fighting Street. It was a PC game on the old 80/86. Pretty horrible game really. Side scroller.

Capcom really outdid themselves with Street Fighter II though. That game set the standard for nearly every fighting game that followed it. Heh, I don't feel like Mortal Kombat holds a candle to it.
Actually, there was a Street Fighter 1 - just called Street Fighter. You can only use Ryu and the main boss is Sagat. If you download an arcade emulator called MAME, you can play it on your pc.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Actually, there was a Street Fighter 1 - just called Street Fighter. You can only use Ryu and the main boss is Sagat. If you download an arcade emulator called MAME, you can play it on your pc.

Fighting Street. That's the one I'm talkin' about. You can only play Ryu and Sagat's the last boss. That's it.

mywetnightmares

Kyra Gracie= my future wife
Awards
  • Established
I voted for street fighter, but that's only cuz KI wasn't an option.

millerman

Awards
Well I know Street Fighter was in arcades, maybe they changed the name when they ported to to the PC (or maybe it was a hack, you ever hear of a game called Gnop? Spell it backwards). In SF1 you could only play as Ryu or Ken.

Killer Instinct was fun for a while, until you realized that it wasn't really anything more than dialing in a combo. I got seriously bored with that game after I was getting 100+ hit combos.

loki82

Awards
streetfighter has been aroundlonger thatn mk. streetfighter 2 is maybe younger than mk but SF2 is better. I've never seen lines of people waiting to play mk. but i've seen people wait for hours just to play sf.

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
Way of The Warrior for 3DO. I was the only person to ever buy that system but, that was the best game EVER

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Street Fighter w/ Killer Instinct a close second. Tekken series comes in third
I would agree. Street fighter is just classic everyone knows it everyone has played it. Killer instinct i never really got that good but ultra combos are awesome and it had fatality like finishes like MK. the graphics were awesome too as well as Orchid she was the best. I saw a guy do like a 120 hit combo with her. Tekken is just gotten better every year and is modeled after more realistic martial arts moves. MK i have to say was great number II being the best IMO. The fatalities got old after a while and as the series progessed it got dull and worse than the first 3. Street Fighter it is.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Killer instinct is the hardest to master.

Shaq-fu:rofl:

Im taking back what i said about MK's latest versions i never really played them but the one with the weapons, it kinda sucks.

This is an cool thread. Can i rep renegade for posting a cool thread?????

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The newest MK game coming out not only plays like Shaolin Monks in Konquest mode, it also has "Kreate a Fighter" and "Kreate a Fatality". Yep, you cna create your own character and pick their fighting styles as well as create your own fatalities, what they do, and what moves you do during it.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Definitely Streetfighter, I though Mortal Kombat sucked.