Strange injection experience

BobDigital

Awards
I've been doing my own IM injections for TRT+ for around 5 or more years. I've always done them in my quads and frequency has ranged from 2-3 times weekly, so I'm fairly experienced.

Last night, I was doing a routine injection and I felt the sensation that, if I went any farther, it was going to hurt and/or result in some kind of badness. I stopped and tried to relax just to make sure I wasn't tensing up and causing it. Probed a little more and the sensation was still there, so I just aborted mission and backed the needle out. It bled a bit when I pulled it out, but not as much as some previous times when I'd nicked a vein... but the really odd thing was that there was a near-instantaneous and fairly large (half a ping pong ball) lump at the aborted injection site - I hadn't even injected anything!

I proceeded to do the injection in my other leg without issue.

My question is... what the heck was that?! Did I finally manage to find a nerve? Did I pierce a blood vessel and the lump was resulting internal bleeding? The lump went away after an hour and there is now just very minor/trivial pain at the location.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've been doing my own IM injections for TRT+ for around 5 or more years. I've always done them in my quads and frequency has ranged from 2-3 times weekly, so I'm fairly experienced.

Last night, I was doing a routine injection and I felt the sensation that, if I went any farther, it was going to hurt and/or result in some kind of badness. I stopped and tried to relax just to make sure I wasn't tensing up and causing it. Probed a little more and the sensation was still there, so I just aborted mission and backed the needle out. It bled a bit when I pulled it out, but not as much as some previous times when I'd nicked a vein... but the really odd thing was that there was a near-instantaneous and fairly large (half a ping pong ball) lump at the aborted injection site - I hadn't even injected anything!

My question is... what the heck was that?! Did I finally manage to find a nerve? Did I pierce a blood vessel and the lump was resulting internal bleeding? The lump went away after an hour and there is now just very minor/trivial pain at the location.
I’ve been on TRT for 11 years. I used to pin my quads routinely but stopped. For some reason I would get PIP the majority of time I would pin them. I’d say you prob had some blood pool in that spot causing the lump plus a little bit of inflammatory response from your body. I’d ice it and take ibuprofen and keep an eye on it. If it doesn’t swell back up, turn red or have an increase in pain then you’re prob fine.

Disclaimer: I’m not a doctor but I did watch ER when I was a kid.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

That actually happened to me today, every once in a while il stick a pin and something lights up real quick and i stop, but it feels like if i kept going its gonna be something nasty. But no blood so i think its a nerv? If it was a vein theres usually a little blood spurt

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That actually happened to me today, every once in a while il stick a pin and something lights up real quick and i stop, but it feels like if i kept going its gonna be something nasty. But no blood so i think its a nerv? If it was a vein theres usually a little blood spurt
I’ve had that feeling before and assume it’s a nerve also.

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'll get hard lumps from time to time in glutes that go away in a few days. I started pinning lats and find it works quite well.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Nerve definitely.
Why?
Nicking an artery or vein you wouldn’t really feel too much, you’d notice somewhat instant swelling though if it’s a larger vein or artery as blood seeps out, though IM sites are pretty far away from those usually to begin with. You’ll also get a lot of bruising.

Nerves on the other hand are everywhere, and when you get close to one, the pressure sends a signal to it even if you don’t touch it. Hence the something bad is going to happen feeling. If you inject next to one, it’s going to burn like a mofo, and since there’s something irritating it, and to top it all off you’ll have a near instantaneous reaction to it as a protection mechanism.

I hit a pretty big nerve once when injecting too quickly in my quad and my leg extended so fast I thought I broke my shin against the table I kicked. Couldn’t walk right for a week it hurt so bad at the injection site.

Now I go a lot slower.

you did the right thing by moving sites.

BobDigital

Awards
Nerve definitely.
Why?
Nicking an artery or vein you wouldn’t really feel too much, you’d notice somewhat instant swelling though if it’s a larger vein or artery as blood seeps out, though IM sites are pretty far away from those usually to begin with. You’ll also get a lot of bruising.

Nerves on the other hand are everywhere, and when you get close to one, the pressure sends a signal to it even if you don’t touch it. Hence the something bad is going to happen feeling. If you inject next to one, it’s going to burn like a mofo, and since there’s something irritating it, and to top it all off you’ll have a near instantaneous reaction to it as a protection mechanism.

I hit a pretty big nerve once when injecting too quickly in my quad and my leg extended so fast I thought I broke my shin against the table I kicked. Couldn’t walk right for a week it hurt so bad at the injection site.

Now I go a lot slower.

you did the right thing by moving sites.
Ok, yes - this description sounds like exactly what I experienced.

It's interesting; you have to find a balance with the speed you glide the needle in: too slow and it's not smooth (in my case, I can feel every layer cracking when I have insufficient speed); too fast and you risk hitting a nerve without time for the premonition of badness telling you to stop.