Starting Keto Diet questions

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, love the sticky and all of the posts on the Keto diet.

I have a couple of questions.

Starting the Keto - do I start with the weekend carbo loading phase or just go staight into the Sunday no carbs at all phase. What is the exit stategy for the diet - do I just keep on until I get down the the BF% that I want or do you have the cycle the diet and give your body a chance to recupe. I was thinking of modifing the diet slightly to add some carbs pre and post workout (mainly for my cardio days - I am trying to get back into shape for some kickboxing tournaments and I don't think I could go throught the workouts sans carbs)

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
do not carb up for the first 2 weeks as your body will have to make the conversion to using fats as its fuel source. as far as exit strategy, you should add one protein\Low GI Carb meal to your diet every 3-4 days, untill all your meals are that way.
do I just keep on until I get down the the BF% that I want or do you have the cycle the diet and give your body a chance to recupe
everyone is different and you will have to listen to your body. But at around 10% BF you will need to add a mid week refeed to your diet plan. As far as cycling the diet, i went 12 weeks before the CKD stopped working for me and i just finished a 3 day carb up to try to kick my body back into gear(as i understand it your T3 levels go down at this point inhibiting your BF reduction).
I was thinking of modifing the diet slightly to add some carbs pre and post workout
As a Post workout drink taken within 0-30 minutes of completing your training you should consume 30G of carbs and 30G of protein give or take a few depending on your protein powder. c-k-d.com is a pretty good resource you should check out too. Hope this will be helpful.

chi_town

Keto Jedi / HomeBrew Advocate
Awards
Bump goldy's post.

I have never been an advocate of extended dieting over 12-16 weeks. In fact most people do better with shorter cutting cycles as I have found. I like 6-12 weeks cycles with proper carb-ups and even a cheat meal or two every few weeks. It does wonders for leptin and the mental stress cutting gives many of us.

Jeff,

I would try a CKD with proper PW nutrition and carb-ups every 7-10 days (max) (of course skipping the first carb-up) and see how you do. With fat and protein high enough and a decent training program you should do well.

Feel free to ask away (any questions you may have) here at AM or at c-k-d.com as we have a bunch of knowledgable people who are eager to help.

PEACE

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the site

c-k-d.com is a pretty good looking site, thanx for the info.