Standards for 148?

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
I'm totally new to the sport of powerlifting.

I like to train with a bodybuilding approach, but I've noticed that I have better genetics for powerlifting so I've decided to enter a competition this coming August.

My stats are:

Bench: 260
Squat: 335
Deadlift: 425

Are these good for 148, at 20 years old? What can I expect or my first competition? Any tips?

Thanks for your help,
Andrew

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For your first competition, your main goal should be first and foremost to total. Meets usually last at least 6 hours and learning how to pace yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally is a task in and of itself.

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
For your first competition, your main goal should be first and foremost to total. Meets usually last at least 6 hours and learning how to pace yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally is a task in and of itself.
Awesome. I can't tell you how excited I am. Thanks for the input; how do you suggest dealing with the physical/mental/emotional fatigue?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Awesome. I can't tell you how excited I am. Thanks for the input; how do you suggest dealing with the physical/mental/emotional fatigue?
Keep hydrated, eat often, and don't use too many stims.

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
Keep hydrated, eat often, and don't use too many stims.
I'm not very stim sensitive anyway, I try not to use them. Thanks for the help man, I'll post the results after the competition.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You asked for standards, so this is the link most people seem to come up with when thinking about these types of things:

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

You appear to be an "advanced" lifter for your weight range, but not "elite". That, to me, is a good place to start! Don't take that as criticism from me either, because I weigh a lot more and have lifts that are similar or only slightly stronger and my charts show me that I'm "intermediate" and close to being "advanced" on my lifts - where as you've passed advanced.

I don't have any powerlifting experience, but I'd expect there are freaks out there and I wouldn't be surprised if you come across some, depending on your area and the attendance. I wouldn't let that bother you, this is your first show and as was mentioned, you should aim for your own goals and continue to improve.

Good luck!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your numbers are good but don't worry about how you compare against others, unless you're going to break records.

Elite FTS had some good "first meet" articles.

CT3

CT3

Awards
  • Established
You asked for standards, so this is the link most people seem to come up with when thinking about these types of things: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html You appear to be an "advanced" lifter for your weight range, but not "elite". That, to me, is a good place to start! Don't take that as criticism from me either, because I weigh a lot more and have lifts that are similar or only slightly stronger and my charts show me that I'm "intermediate" and close to being "advanced" on my lifts - where as you've passed advanced. I don't have any powerlifting experience, but I'd expect there are freaks out there and I wouldn't be surprised if you come across some, depending on your area and the attendance. I wouldn't let that bother you, this is your first show and as was mentioned, you should aim for your own goals and continue to improve. Good luck!
Nice link.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just came across this article and thought I'd share.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/strong-strength-standards-raw-natural-lifters

For me, it is tough asking this type of question because on one hand I don't really care - I just want to be healthy and push myself constantly. On the other hand, I don't want to look like I am trying to brag or boost my ego, etc., and I don't want to try to let my ego dictate the weight I use. In other words, the thought of "I did normally bench 225 for reps, maybe I should try 2XX this time, because then I would be 'advanced'!" is dangerous and doesn't help anyone.

This question, however, helps one prepare and lets them know what is possible as well as where you are and where you could be going. It is a question that has been interesting to me lately. It is interesting how some standards are a shot to the ego, some are a boost to the ego, and both sides seem to provide different motivation.