Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
a snowflake isn't defined as being weak or strong really

here is the definition:

A hypersensitive, irrational person who can't stand to have their world views challenged, or be offended in any perceived or even slightest of ways; they will have any number of emotional reactions: impuning character and/or motives, blocking on social media, shouting, interrupting, threatening, assaulting, etc. They often live in an echo chamber of their own beliefs and surround themselves exclusively with people and opinions that agree with their own. This term is most often use to describe people left-leaning people, but can be applied both left and right wing people.

in my experience they usually whine a lot and can't necessarily back up their opinions with logical reasoning and tend to not like to get down and dirty in the workplace

Let's not pretend that Snowflake is not meant as a derogatory term... It most definitely is and implies a weakness of character which is basically what you explained above. That is where the weakness reference came from.

Basically you described anyone who calls themselves a liberal or conservative as they are both identifying with extremest groups who live in an echo chamber and refuse to listen to anyone with a different opinion. They both prefer to be with those who rally around their same beliefs systems. Note I did not say voted one way or the other, but said called themselves one or the other because that means they identify themselves as such! There is definitely a difference between identifying as a conservative or a liberal, and simply voting one way or another.

I do love that you came right out and said there were "snowflakes" in both parties though! You give me hope that logic can win out over blind ideology Brother!!!!

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Let's not pretend that Snowflake is not meant as a derogatory term... It most definitely is and implies a weakness of character which is basically what you explained above. That is where the weakness reference came from.

Basically you described anyone who calls themselves a liberal or conservative as they are both identifying with extremest groups who live in an echo chamber and refuse to listen to anyone with a different opinion. They both prefer to be with those who rally around their same beliefs systems. Note I did not say voted one way or the other, but said called themselves one or the other because that means they identify themselves as such! There is definitely a difference between identifying as a conservative or a liberal, and simply voting one way or another.

I do love that you came right out and said there were "snowflakes" in both parties though! You give me hope that logic can win out over blind ideology Brother!!!!
Oh i dont discriminate...ill make fun of both sides for their wacky views, especially when they go crazy irrational to back their views

But name calling is only derogatory if you take it that way...i saw my cousin for the first time in a long time over thanksgiving and i called him a snowflake, hipster, millenial (even tho im also a millenial) all day and he laughed the whole time

Vice versa i call my dad gran tarino when hes acting like an old angry man who wont change because he knows how much i hate that character in that movie...he doesnt usually get offended

My co workers constantly tell me im a A hole to them...but will also turn around and say im the best person at my postion at work in the whole building and they love working with me

To me, i grew up where name calling was just a way of life and its not to ever be taken super serious

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oh i dont discriminate...ill make fun of both sides for their wacky views, especially when they go crazy irrational to back their views

But name calling is only derogatory if you take it that way...i saw my cousin for the first time in a long time over thanksgiving and i called him a snowflake, hipster, millenial (even tho im also a millenial) all day and he laughed the whole time

Vice versa i call my dad gran tarino when hes acting like an old angry man who wont change because he knows how much i hate that character in that movie...he doesnt usually get offended

My co workers constantly tell me im a A hole to them...but will also turn around and say im the best person at my postion at work in the whole building and they love working with me

To me, i grew up where name calling was just a way of life and its not to ever be taken super serious
Oh certainly and I agree in those scenarios, but then it is obviously being used as a term of affection and or as a source of humor. I tell people all the time to "Suck it up Buttercup!" with no ill intent. One of my son's favorite things to be called is F*ck Stick, he thinks it's hilarious, he's 23 and that is how our relationship has always been. My daughter gets the same inappropriate silliness, and it is all out of love so I get those things.

However, the intent here was to imply they were lesser than... You can tell simply by the direction the thread took immediately. I look at what I see unfold in front of me and the context here is not the friendly ribbing of a buddy, coworker, cousin or your old man. So while I agree that the intent of name calling is not always aggressive the context here says otherwise. Like you defined what a snowflake was, there was nothing positive or funny in the definition, and it was the one you assumed they meant since it was the one you provided to explain the use of the word. So I think we both know that this was meant to be inflammatory to "snowflakes" and funny to those wanting to make fun of them.

Here is a REAL Snowflake Test...

1. Are you a form of precipitation - Yes
2. Are you frozen - Yes
3. Are you typically flakey and white unless pee'd on? - Yes

Yep you are a snowflake...

By the way, LOVE THE NICKNAME FOR YOUR OLD MAN!!!! That's perfect, I bet he actually likes it though huh?

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh certainly and I agree in those scenarios, but then it is obviously being used as a term of affection and or as a source of humor. I tell people all the time to "Suck it up Buttercup!" with no ill intent. One of my son's favorite things to be called is F*ck Stick, he thinks it's hilarious, he's 23 and that is how our relationship has always been. My daughter gets the same inappropriate silliness, and it is all out of love so I get those things.

However, the intent here was to imply they were lesser than... You can tell simply by the direction the thread took immediately. I look at what I see unfold in front of me and the context here is not the friendly ribbing of a buddy, coworker, cousin or your old man. So while I agree that the intent of name calling is not always aggressive the context here says otherwise. Like you defined what a snowflake was, there was nothing positive or funny in the definition, and it was the one you assumed they meant since it was the one you provided to explain the use of the word. So I think we both know that this was meant to be inflammatory to "snowflakes" and funny to those wanting to make fun of them.

Here is a REAL Snowflake Test...

1. Are you a form of precipitation - Yes
2. Are you frozen - Yes
3. Are you typically flakey and white unless pee'd on? - Yes

Yep you are a snowflake...

By the way, LOVE THE NICKNAME FOR YOUR OLD MAN!!!! That's perfect, I bet he actually likes it though huh?
oh yeah he thinks clint eastwood is the man while I think he's a delusional hack actor....so he thinks its funny

the only thing that's off limits for the old man is supporting barrack at any time and the Yankees...even though the Yankees ruined my child hood, he'll tell me to shut up or leave the room if I say anything bad about the yankees

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
oh yeah he thinks clint eastwood is the man while I think he's a delusional hack actor....so he thinks its funny

the only thing that's off limits for the old man is supporting barrack at any time and the Yankees...even though the Yankees ruined my child hood, he'll tell me to shut up or leave the room if I say anything bad about the yankees
That's funny about the Yankees!
I think he is talented as an actor and director but too political for me to deal with otherwise. I have learned to try to ignore what most entertainers have to say. I want to be able to still enjoy their movies and if I can't stand what they stand for I won't be able to enjoy their movies or shows. I think it was Tom Cruise that forced me into that decision. I like his movies but would be happy if he were mute at all other times in his life... For a while I just quit watching his stuff but then that cut out some of my old favorites so I finally decided screw it. I am not paying for him to tell me about what he likes or thinks. I am paying to see him pretend to be someone else, and for me to enjoy that I don't have to like who he really is.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's funny about the Yankees!
I think he is talented as an actor and director but too political for me to deal with otherwise. I have learned to try to ignore what most entertainers have to say. I want to be able to still enjoy their movies and if I can't stand what they stand for I won't be able to enjoy their movies or shows. I think it was Tom Cruise that forced me into that decision. I like his movies but would be happy if he were mute at all other times in his life... For a while I just quit watching his stuff but then that cut out some of my old favorites so I finally decided screw it. I am not paying for him to tell me about what he likes or thinks. I am paying to see him pretend to be someone else, and for me to enjoy that I don't have to like who he really is.
yeah you are better off ignoring everyones political views...by that I mean straight political views....opinons that lean a way are one thing but I don't care about anyones opinons of trump or Obama or sanders and don't engage in those conversations anymore

unless I hear someone getting totally heated about trump or something, i'll be like he's doing good, just to watch their head explode but I usually get in and get out with those comments and do it for my own personal enjoyment

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
yeah you are better off ignoring everyones political views...by that I mean straight political views....opinons that lean a way are one thing but I don't care about anyones opinons of trump or Obama or sanders and don't engage in those conversations anymore

unless I hear someone getting totally heated about trump or something, i'll be like he's doing good, just to watch their head explode but I usually get in and get out with those comments and do it for my own personal enjoyment
Now that is awesome say something like that just before hopping off an elevator or something where you have a good quick escape route! He is doing good fiscally right now but socially not so great. Pretty much what I expected. My 401k is looking very happy as of the beginning of this year!!!!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
From the viewpoint of a boss, a so called "Snowflake" is not the employee I would prefer. Not talking about political views here.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Now that is awesome say something like that just before hopping off an elevator or something where you have a good quick escape route! He is doing good fiscally right now but socially not so great. Pretty much what I expected. My 401k is looking very happy as of the beginning of this year!!!!
haha yep me2, think I'm going to put more into it in the coming year

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Let's not confuse not supporting the oligarchy by being against pro-worker measures with being a "snowflake," wanting everything their way and being "offended" (false outrage to control people) by everything