Should I be taking Creatine on days I'm NOT working out

clearfield

clearfield

Awards
I workout 5 or 6 days a week.

Should I be taking Creatine on the days I'm not working out?

Pros/Cons?

Thanks

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
When first beginning, I personally use creatine daily for a month at 3-5g (to reach saturation) and then afterwards just 2-3g 4 or so days a week. There's no need to take it daily and I would actually not recommend doing so.

mike0589

mike0589

Awards
Metabolisis and the exact dosage affect it's bio availability, so it can greatly vary from person to person.

I've personally never experienced a notable difference dosing on off days.

clearfield

clearfield

Awards
I guess the underlying question is should I think of it as a supplement I always want in my system for as long as I'm using it?

harbonah

harbonah

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I think its great to take everyday. The only real reason to stop is to drop any bloat it may cause you It has neuroprotective and cardioprotective properties, so its great for your health as well as muscle.

http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/

dboston

dboston

Awards
I had a pulled muscle in my shoulder, and started taken creating, and in a week it actually healed it!! Go figure..

Bootstomper

Awards
Yes, I think its great to take everyday. The only real reason to stop is to drop any bloat it may cause you It has neuroprotective and cardioprotective properties, so its great for your health as well as muscle.
Agree with the above.... It's still probably something I'd "cycle off of" every now and then, just to give your body a break from it (and the bloat comment mentioned above (I personally build a tolerance or immunity to just about everything, quickly, so I try to cycle off just about everything save for maybe fish oil).

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I had a pulled muscle in my shoulder, and started taken creating, and in a week it actually healed it!! Go figure..
Wasn't the creatine

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/
The real reason to cycle is because continuous use downregulates the creatine transporter Creat1. Not because of the blot. Creatine pulls water INTO the muscle

If you read all of that link it states that prolonged use results in reduced uptake.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
The real reason to cycle is because continuous use downregulates the creatine transporter Creat1. Not because of the blot. Creatine pulls water INTO the muscle
Have a study for that? I have only seen the exact opposite demonstrated; that Creat1 does not down-regulate and that upon the cessation of use creatine production quickly baselines.

I see you further edited your post but couldn't find it in that article; in fact in the Q&A it again says the opposite

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Have a study for that? I have only seen the exact opposite demonstrated; that Creat1 does not down-regulate and that upon the cessation of use creatine production quickly baselines.

I see you further edited your post but couldn't find it in that article; in fact in the Q&A it again says the opposite
Look at section 4.5

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
From Cyrus himself I see.
Strange that this year's text and studies again said Creat1 does not down-regulate.

Thanks for posting that. I will do some further research and decide what I'm doing now
May not be Creat1. That was me trying to post from memory

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
May not be Creat1. That was me trying to post from memory
No I think you led me down the right path though thanks brother.

Creat1 has been shown to not down-regulate I just re-read. (Either a separate reason for this or a conflicting study must exist, wonder if Cooper will enlighten us)

But what you and Coop said appears right, time to rethink my supplement schedule

clearfield

clearfield

Awards
So if I get back to my original question, should I take it daily whether I'm working out that day or not and cycle off every few months?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
So if I get back to my original question, should I take it daily whether I'm working out that day or not and cycle off every few months?
Looks like the recommendation was to take only on workout days

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i was using dymatize creatine and creaplex everyday...i've since dropped down to lifting days only to see how i react, but like other ppl mentioned it's a good idea to come off every so often, i'm due

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been using creatine only in lifting days and have noticed no change in performance or muscle fullness compared to every day.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
After using 5g everyday for a month, I just use 5g every workout day (3-4 days a week) and I'm still fine with regards to strength/endurance/fullness.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
I personally do but if I forget to take it I don't freak out about it. But I also most mention that every couple of months if and when I run out of it I don't purchase it for at least a month.

But after reading this thread I guess one should cycle everything just in case :)

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I pretty much follow the same method as Aaron. I used it straight for 30 days, 3-5 grams. Now, I use 3-5 grams only on workout days, which is 5 days a week.

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
blast and cruise, mate. i cruise on 1.5g of creatine, then blast on 20g ed creatine ace, creatinebolone

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
Dose it matter when you take Creatine, morning, pre or post workout?

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
Take it whenever you want. Timing does not matter. I usually take it first thing in the morning or pre workout if I have a pre workout I am using that day. It just gives it a little flavor.
Great, thanks!