"Shogun" Rua vs "Iceman" Liddell @ UFC 97 - the AM thread

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Here's something I'm curious about, after he's cut for the weigh in, how does GSP gain 10-15lbs in only a couple of days. I'm not saying I can't gain 15 in 48 hours but it entails the Shakey's pizza buffet and I couldn't image walking back to work afterwards let along go 5-5 min rounds with world class athletes.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here's something I'm curious about, after he's cut for the weigh in, how does GSP gain 10-15lbs in only a couple of days. I'm not saying I can't gain 15 in 48 hours but it entails the Shakey's pizza buffet and I couldn't image walking back to work afterwards let along go 5-5 min rounds with world class athletes.
Doing the reverse of what SJ said: adding carbohydrates, sodium, and water back into your diet. By comparative volume [to fat, for example] glycogen is horrendously heavy due to its high water content. GSP is merely losing water and glycogen, both of which are gained back easily. Inexperienced fighters often fair horribly with this, as they deplete their glycogen stores too quickly, with not enough replenishment, and this produces the "gassing" we have seen with other fighters.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
he says 185 its prolly a few pounds more before the weigh in this he can only get about 13-15 back. hahaha GSP nips

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Robdog, another member here who does MMA, went from 190 to 215 in a little over 24 hours by depleting carbs, cutting sodium/water, and sitting in the sauna. I weigh in at 170, but I am at ~185 by fight time.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
So he gained 25lbs by depleting carbs, cutting sodium/water? Did I misread that? Anyway gaining 25 in 24hrs is no joke no matter how ya slice it.
That would have been a major weight advantage against BJ at the time. That was a stupid idea for him.

SpargelJanusz

SpargelJanusz

Awards
  • Established
Forrest Griffin once said he tries to be 220 one week before the weigh-in. So it's 15 more to go from there. What I find a little sad is that Chuck had his belly even after cutting from around 222 - this he said is his walk around weight.

Houston Alexander (does anyone remember him anymore) actually did not even have to cut at all, he said he walks around at about 205. A fan saw him eating fast food before a weigh-in, not after.

I'd love to know Keith "The Dean of Lame" Jardine's walk around weight.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Yeah Keith looks big. I wasn't a fan of his really before the Rampage fight, but he's growing on me. He's like modern day drunken boxer. I wanna see him fight Thiago Silva BIG TIME.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
yeah i want jardine to get a big win the vera win sucked. also houston needs better cardio he does get really tired. hes like all or nothing. theres too many holes in his game. i really like the guy and hope he wins his next bout coming up real soon.

SpargelJanusz

SpargelJanusz

Awards
  • Established
Houston Alexander is prolly the strongest LHW, he is said to be able to bench 440 lbs.
But you see, it doesn't matter at all, he looked soooo bad vs. Thiago Silva.

How is your Jiu-Jitsu improving, bigwhite?

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
ha thanks for asking but not good i have only been doing like 1hour a day once or twice a week for the last 2 months not enough to get anything out of it. ive been doing more kickboxing and lots of weight lifting. i wanna look good for this summer. I wanna be 10% BF at 225 pounds

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
shitty, atleast i dont have a gut hahaha. the muscle is there tho