Red Sox 2008

Will the Red Sox take the AL east in 2008?

• Yes

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • No

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Everything aside from their OBP are damn near identical......
except that when Manny gets up at the plate, people are nervous. Not the case with Jason Bay, and keep in mind I like Bay a lot. Hell, Bay was not even the best outfielder on his team this year.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok now that i'm finally back from the move, i can comment on this. :)

Manny has been one of my favorite players since i learned to play baseball as a kid. I probably own 6 different manny jersey's. He always will be an amazing player in my mind.

His antics as of late though caused a huge distraction that the sox didn't need. They did the right thing in trading him. Jason Bay is a VERY good ball player, and a good pickup by boston. While it is hard to see manny in a dodger uniform, this is a buisness and they have to do what's best for the team.

The sox still have a very well balanced offense, and david ortiz's role has certainly just been anted up to the next level. Overall, i'm fairly pleased with the outcome, but manny.....you're still the man in my book! :)

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
The Red Sox are the Angel's b1tches.... nuff said

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Red Sox are the Angel's b1tches.... nuff said
I could have sworn we most certainly knocked them out of the playoffs last year........in a sweep no less......:thumbsup:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yanks lose, and the sox win. :D

Jason Bay had another stellar performance tonight.

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
I could have sworn we most certainly knocked them out of the playoffs last year........in a sweep no less......:thumbsup:
Yeah you would be correct and well if they play the Angels this year...well I don't think a sweep will be in order. With the addition of Texeira the Angels are looking pretty scary. Regardless I'm still pulling for a Red Sox vs Cubs World Series...I'll never give up on that dream...hahahahah! :D

Cheers!:cheers:

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar

Baseball is all about what have you done for me lately???

The Angels are 7-1 this year verse the red sox buddy....

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
We swept you guys at home and on the road....ouch

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Baseball is all about what have you done for me lately???

The Angels are 7-1 this year verse the red sox buddy....
However, you forget the most important thing. The playoffs are the only time that matters in the end. In that regard, the sox OWN the angels. This includes the red sox sweeping them in the ALDS in 2004 AND 2007. Fact it be. ;)

So as you can see, when it matters, the sox have been the better team in recent times.

I don't take away from the angels, but the last time i checked the red sox own more world series rings than the angels do in this decade.

So, what have the red sox done for baseball lately? That would be being a more successful team than the angels this decade. :thumbsup:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah you would be correct and well if they play the Angels this year...well I don't think a sweep will be in order. With the addition of Texeira the Angels are looking pretty scary. Regardless I'm still pulling for a Red Sox vs Cubs World Series...I'll never give up on that dream...hahahahah! :D

That dream came awfuly close in 2004......:)

I'm still pulling for it too. I like the cubs in the NL.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At this point it's nothing more than useless speculation and propaganda. When i actually see that happen, then i'll believe it.

However, if it did (And i don't think it will), does NY actually think he wouldn't pull the same "Manny being Manny" antics?....please

Not to mention manny is no longer in his prime He had those years in cleveland/boston.

I'm not sure how new york could embrace one of the greatest "Yankee Killers" of all-time either. Either way, boston did the right thing in the end.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At this point it's nothing more than useless speculation and propaganda. When i actually see that happen, then i'll believe it.
Agreed.

However, if it did (And i don't think it will), does NY actually think he wouldn't pull the same "Manny being Manny" antics?....please

Not to mention manny is no longer in his prime He had those years in cleveland/boston.

I'm not sure how new york could embrace one of the greatest "Yankee Killers" of all-time either. Either way, boston did the right thing in the end.
I think you may want to reconsider a different perspective (with all due respect). Do you think NY would put up with "Manny being Manny". Not for a NY minute. The Sox let him get away with his nonsense for way too long. Yankees don't roll like that.

No dread locks! Run out EVERY hit! No bat flips! No talking smack to the media! No smack talk to the fans!

Manny has been a b*tch punk because the Sox let him be one. You think Joe Torre didn't have a "big-boy-man-to-man" with Manny? I would have loved to have been the fly on that wall.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed.

I think you may want to reconsider a different perspective (with all due respect). Do you think NY would put up with "Manny being Manny". Not for a NY minute. The Sox let him get away with his nonsense for way too long. Yankees don't roll like that.

No dread locks! Run out EVERY hit! No bat flips! No talking smack to the media! No smack talk to the fans!

Manny has been a b*tch punk because the Sox let him be one. You think Joe Torre didn't have a "big-boy-man-to-man" with Manny? I would have loved to have been the fly on that wall.
But that was my point all along b, NY wouldn't tolerate it. That's why it'll never happen. Manny beats to his own drum, and not even the more stringent of management will tame to their liking.

He's a loose cannon that thankfully was let go by the sox before it got even worse. He may be acting in line now, however once the novelty of a new team wears thin he'll be back to his old ways. It's true when the say "You can't teach an old dog new tricks."

I don't necessarily agree with how the situation was handled over the years, however what's done is done. He gave us some great years performace wise in boston, so i respect that aspect of his great abilities. There is no question that he still has a few years left before a serious decline sets in. It's a shame it came to this, but it had to happen.

I now have to retire my 5 manny jersey's to the closet for the time being....:(

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But that was my point all along b, NY wouldn't tolerate it. That's why it'll never happen. Manny beats to his own drum, and not even the more stringent of management will tame to their liking.

He's a loose cannon that thankfully was let go by the sox before it got even worse. He may be acting in line now, however once the novelty of a new team wears thin he'll be back to his old ways. It's true when the say "You can't teach an old dog new tricks."

I don't necessarily agree with how the situation was handled over the years, however what's done is done. He gave us some great years performace wise in boston, so i respect that aspect of his great abilities. There is no question that he still has a few years left before a serious decline sets in. It's a shame it came to this, but it had to happen.

I now have to retire my 5 manny jersey's to the closet for the time being....:(
Agree again :)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd wipe my ass with them and mail them to his house.....on the hottest day of the year.
As much as the situation saddens me to think about, i can't hate manny. He was my favorite player as a kid growing up.....even when he wasn't a red sox player.

It's truly a shame that things transpired as they did, but what are you gonna do. I'll have those jersey's and memories of when he was a dominant force with the sox. It's really unfortunate when athlete's aquire the "God" complex.

Sadly, manny is too far gone to save at this point......

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yea I hear you. I absolutely love Barry Bonds and I catch a lot of heat for that because a lot of people ahte him.

I play with a few guys like this (manny complex except obviously there not as good but think they are)) and I want to punch them but can't because I play with them.......so if I could wipe my ass with their jersey's and mail them to them........I would :lol:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yea I hear you. I absolutely love Barry Bonds and I catch a lot of heat for that because a lot of people ahte him.

I play with a few guys like this (manny complex except obviously there not as good but think they are)) and I want to punch them but can't because I play with them.......so if I could wipe my ass with their jersey's and mail them to them........I would :lol:
LOL!

I just spit my coffee all over the place haha! :lol:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Beckett looked like his old self tonight. That was a nice comeback win for the sox. I'm really liking how well jason bay is fitting into our line-up.

The rays have injuries, this is our chance to close the gap!

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Trauma1 the bosox need you, they're bleeding out!

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I need a tracheotomy stat! Get me a clamp on that abdominal cerectil! Doctor we need to oversaturate the patient immediately or we risk losing the cerebral cortex and causing the flux capacitor to go septic!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The sox just scored 10 runs on texas in the first inning.......AHAHAHAHA! :lol::thumbsup:

Ortiz had (2) 3-run home runs in that inning.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
The sox just scored 10 runs on texas in the first inning.......AHAHAHAHA! :lol::thumbsup:

Ortiz had (2) 3-run home runs in that inning.
Who developed Ortiz.....................???

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Who developed Ortiz.....................???
Better yet.....who traded him.....and then who really developed him. ;)

That would be the Red Sox where he's had ALL of his success.

:thumbsup:

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
Thanks to the Twins.
The Twins didn't develop him...they gave up on him and dumped him. David Ortiz developed David Ortiz...period. The particular intangible he possesses can't be coached...He's clutch and well he's been clutch ever since being in the better environment of Boston.

On a personal note...I really have nothing against the Twins other than the fact I think they made some stupid moves recently...You don't let Torii Hunter and Johan Santana go...you find a way to keep players like that.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Twins didn't develop him...they gave up on him and dumped him. David Ortiz developed David Ortiz...period. The particular intangible he possesses can't be coached...He's clutch and well he's been clutch ever since being in the better environment of Boston.

On a personal note...I really have nothing against the Twins other than the fact I think they made some stupid moves recently...You don't let Torii Hunter and Johan Santana go...you find a way to keep players like that.

Agreed. Ortiz always possed the talent. He did need a bit of work on his hand/hip/foot position from a batting standpoint though. He was never able to turn on an inside fastball that well, and that was his most obvious weakness.

He is now able to adjust his swing accordingly, clear his hips, and turn what was once a strike out into a long HR over the right field wall. :D

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The sox beat the rangers AGAIN tonight in a blowout fashion 10-0. The sox have scored 37 runs in the last 3 games against texas. Their offense is working as a well oiled machine right now. I'm loving it.

BTW yankee fans.......I drove by legends field today on my way home from work and gave it the old bird! :FUfinger: :thumbsup: :lol:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The sox smash a first place team, the skanks slide by a 4th place team. :lol:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gotta love it. I'm actually going to the Sox game tomorrow. Not bad seeing Bowden's debut.
I just love watching the skanks continue to slide on down. :D

Oh, how the times have changed. :lol:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ozzie from the white sox called pedroia a "Jockey" LOL!!!!

Ozzie, it was fun spanking your lame south-side chicago team.

This "Jockey" had 5 rbi's tonight in the sox drubbing of the orioles. Can you say, AL MVP, you jealous douche bag moron!!!!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
John Lester once again destroys the rays. We're now only a half game back, lol! Not to mention that the rays have lost 9 straight games in fenway.

Also, the red sox set the major league record tonight for most consecutive sell-out home games.

The sox have been peaking at the right times, and this year is no different. The rays are sliding, the sox are prevailing. The battle for the division will be a duel. The sox play the vast majority of their games at home this month, unlike the rays.

Advantage: Boston! :hammer::woohoo:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sox up 2-0 in the 6th. 12 more outs and on to the ALCS!!!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
6 more outs. Lester is rollin'!!! :head::head:

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
The Angels are ascending:eek: You may be going back to Cali.

:bruce3:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The game isn't over yet boys......the angels are a joke in the post season. Baseball's "best" (lol) is about to exit stage left tonight shortly. :clap2: