Really bloody injection

Shiznitzz

Shiznitzz

Awards
  • Established
Just did my 8th pin, my wife does my injections and she does an amazing job. She aspirated the needle and nothing came out other than clear liquid, which is fine, but when she pulled the needle out there was a bunch of blood that came out along with it, she normally keeps the needle in for a solid minute before pulling out but not this time, maybe this made a difference.

Should I be concerned? Im not feeling any different.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would pray and run to the hospital. I think you got the aids

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Just did my 8th pin, my wife does my injections and she does an amazing job. She aspirated the needle and nothing came out other than clear liquid, which is fine, but when she pulled the needle out there was a bunch of blood that came out along with it, she normally keeps the needle in for a solid minute before pulling out but not this time, maybe this made a difference.

Should I be concerned? Im not feeling any different.
You probably passed through something on the way in so it was blocked when aspirated

RickyBlobby

RickyBlobby

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
You probably passed through something on the way in so it was blocked when aspirated
This. Happens to me at least once a month. Just hold needle in for a bit or use finger to plug hole for a minute.

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
After first read through that I thought you had said you pulled out clear liquid from your muscle when aspirating...WTF?!?!? Sometimes that blood will get stuck under the skin and you'll get a very small bruise there too...sounds like you did everything right.

Shiznitzz

Shiznitzz

Awards
  • Established
After first read through that I thought you had said you pulled out clear liquid from your muscle when aspirating...WTF?!?!? Sometimes that blood will get stuck under the skin and you'll get a very small bruise there too...sounds like you did everything right.
Lol nothing came out during aspiration, at least thats what my wife said lol

She does me good. Im sure she just passed through a vein, no big deal.

Davy25

Davy25

Awards
  • Established
I had this happen once and was equally as shook. From what i recall its you hit a capilarry or something? But yeah it freaked me out cuz i hate blood but i remember people said “you out a hole in your body and were shocked blood came out”, after i let my stomach sit and was 100% fine lol

Shiznitzz

Shiznitzz

Awards
  • Established
I had this happen once and was equally as shook. From what i recall its you hit a capilarry or something? But yeah it freaked me out cuz i hate blood but i remember people said “you out a hole in your body and were shocked blood came out”, after i let my stomach sit and was 100% fine lol
Lol yeah shook me up a bit, got real clammy and **** but its all good lol

Normally blood doesnt come out, oh well

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You either went through or nicked a blood vessel. I would only worry if it didn't stop bleeding, or if it had a puls, and some pressure behind it. A gusher, as it were.

Antlion

Awards
"Anything that bleeds once a month and doesn't die is evil." Trump POTUS

cody199477

Awards
  • Established
Nothing new or to worry about, don’t have your wife stand right in front of the injections cause One day you’ll get a squirter.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Who aspirates? My wife has been in the business for 30 years and never aspirates.
That is from the CDC as well.

"According to the CDC, aspiration is not indicated for IM injections of vaccines and immunizations, nor is it required for subcutaneous injections of immunizations, heparin, and insulin. However, it may be indicated for IM injections of medications such as PCN."

Source:
https://www.amsn.org/practice-resources/care-term-reference/medications/question-what-current-practice-for-giving-im

Shiznitzz

Shiznitzz

Awards
  • Established
Who aspirates? My wife has been in the business for 30 years and never aspirates.
That is from the CDC as well.

"According to the CDC, aspiration is not indicated for IM injections of vaccines and immunizations, nor is it required for subcutaneous injections of immunizations, heparin, and insulin. However, it may be indicated for IM injections of medications such as PCN."

Source:
https://www.amsn.org/practice-resources/care-term-reference/medications/question-what-current-practice-for-giving-im
This is new info to me, I've been in medical and they always aspirated before shooting

Perhaps different places do it differently

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
I dont aspirate either. The worst thing that may happen is the gear enters the blood stream at once. You may cough for a couple of minutes. As for the incident it happens from time to time

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This is new info to me, I've been in medical and they always aspirated before shooting

I've looked into this extensively in the past. It seems that some medical professionals argue for it while others say the opposite. Honestly, my conclusion based on data produced and not just "somebody with a title says...." it really doesnt seem necessary. Not for im sticks.

Shiznitzz

Shiznitzz

Awards
  • Established
I've looked into this extensively in the past. It seems that some medical professionals argue for it while others say the opposite. Honestly, my conclusion based on data produced and not just "somebody with a title says...." it really doesnt seem necessary. Not for im sticks.
Eh, its just a couple of seconds to pull the plunger really, not wasting anyones time so it doesn't matter either way imo.

"To aspirate, or not to aspirate, that is the question." William Shakespeare, MD.

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Eh, its just a couple of seconds to pull the plunger really, not wasting anyones time so it doesn't matter either way imo.

"To aspirate, or not to aspirate, that is the question." William Shakespeare, MD.
Agreed. I wasnt really arguing one way or the other. Just saying what the data seems to indicate. I still aspirate on glutes and VG. Actually pulled out blood on a VG poke recently and readjusted. Who knows if it would have mattered at all but your right - easy piece of mind.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

I actually asked 3 girls I know that work in the hospital and they all said no one aspirate. Then I asked my aunt who just retired and she said they used to always do it but no 1 does anymore. So I just assume it's not necessary if the hospital's are not doing it

Shiznitzz

Shiznitzz

Awards
  • Established
I actually asked 3 girls I know that work in the hospital and they all said no one aspirate. Then I asked my aunt who just retired and she said they used to always do it but no 1 does anymore. So I just assume it's not necessary if the hospital's are not doing it
Different places must do it differently I guess. Everywhere I've been (I'm in Arkansas, we're not exactly known for our progressiveness) they aspirate.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Different places must do it differently I guess. Everywhere I've been (I'm in Arkansas, we're not exactly known for our progressiveness) they aspirate.
I think your right, but I figure if any places don't think it's necessary then it's not a big deal. So personal preference I guess

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think your right, but I figure if any places don't think it's necessary then it's not a big deal. So personal preference I guess
Yeah, I was actually suprised to find out that most medical applications don't aspirate any more.
I still do. It makes me feel more comfortable (mentally), and doesn't really take any time or cause me problems.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Oh yeah, what gauge are you using? You're way more likely to get gushers and all that with a 25g vs 29g insulin pins... But I'm always afraid I'm going to snap the 29s I get from walgreens.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Oh yeah, what gauge are you using? You're way more likely to get gushers and all that with a 25g vs 29g insulin pins... But I'm always afraid I'm going to snap the 29s I get from walgreens.
Can you even get the gear through a 29? It took me ages with a 25. 23 ftw for me lol

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Can you even get the gear through a 29? It took me ages with a 25. 23 ftw for me lol
It takes a minute.

With a 23 you must be putting an earring stud in there to stop the bleeding eh?

I'll draw from the vial with a 23 but I'd prefer to pin with a 27 if I can get it.

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You either went through or nicked a blood vessel. I would only worry if it didn't stop bleeding, or if it had a puls, and some pressure behind it. A gusher, as it were.
You guys never had that one? Twice in my 20 years, i pulled the needle out of my buttcheek and it was followed by a geyser of blood...like from a high pressure hose. It shot all over the floor...a good 4 to 5 feet for a good 5 straight seconds. Pretty damn shocking when it happens. Bad thing is, you got to pin another shot because you just lost all your gear.

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
You guys never had that one? Twice in my 20 years, i pulled the needle out of my buttcheek and it was followed by a geyser of blood...like from a high pressure hose. It shot all over the floor...a good 4 to 5 feet for a good 5 straight seconds. Pretty damn shocking when it happens. Bad thing is, you got to pin another shot because you just lost all your gear.
Yes yes it happens rarely and funny thing is that despite the little fountain when you press it with a cotton it stops immediately! Question, do you really lose your gear or some of it enters blood stream?

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Didn't realize I lost my shot. But I guess I'm not sure why I said "or" when I meant "and" if it's gushing like that AND doesn't stop bleeding, then worry. If it stops after a second, or a few, or a minute... Hell even an hour, you're fine. As long as it stops.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
To clarify: if it looks like it's not stopping and you'll easily lose a pint of blood or more, probably do something about it.

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To clarify: if it looks like it's not stopping and you'll easily lose a pint of blood or more, probably do something about it.
What are you pinning with? A turkey baster?...lol. I had my big squirters with 22s when I ran out of my 25s.

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Btw...if you want to squirt...just extract in one quick jerk...instant geyser...with 1 inch or 1.5s. I dont recommend it, but thats what happens.

Shiznitzz

Shiznitzz

Awards
  • Established
I have no problem getting my gear through 25s, I feel like I'd break anything smaller and I really dont feel like digging a needle out of my arm lol

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It takes a minute.

With a 23 you must be putting an earring stud in there to stop the bleeding eh?

I'll draw from the vial with a 23 but I'd prefer to pin with a 27 if I can get it.

To be honest I’d say only 1 in 3 or 4 do I get any blood at all, never had a gusher (talking blood here, did once **** a hooker who made it rain like the fire sprinkler was going off though). Stings a bit going in but nothing severe. I draw with a 21......