reached a plateau and cant grow calfs

owen fox

Awards
ive been working out routinely for about three years and have got to as heavy as 229 but cant seem to hit that 230lb mark. ive stepped up my calorie intake but am thinking im not doing a workout for more advanced lifters like i should be and was hoping someone had a good workout for me to try. im currently doing a four day split broken down into (chest,tri's)(back,bi's)(legs)(shoulders,calfs). i still get good and sore from my workout but could use advice from more exp lifters like the people on this site. the other problem im having is i cant seem to get my calfs to get big no matter what i try. ill admit when i first started training i neglected them but realized the importance of them and have been trying like hell since. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Getting your calfs to grow all comes down to high rep and high weight training. Your calves will grow if they are forced to (IE placed under a serious amount of tension for as long as you can). If I sit on a rotary calf machine I have no problem banging out 50 rep sets at 300lbs. Just gotta keep working at it.

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
I honestly didn't realise the powerlifting/strongman forum was the place to ask how to make my calves so 'swole'. Anyone know how I can get upto wrist-curling the 100's?

Seriously fella, post it where people care and that isn't here, unless the calf press has been added to the big 3 recently which I don't think it has somehow

owen fox

Awards
wow im sorry i suppose your perfect and dont make mistakes.

jtterrible

jtterrible

Awards
Zomg me too :D

To make your legs grow you will need to be willing to hurt..

Train hard.. Not necessarily 50 x 300lbs.. But it depends how your body reacts to reps.. Mine responds to 5-8ish with as heavy as I can.. But others grow at 20.. Only you can find out..

owen fox

Awards
thanks a ton and i apologize for posting in the wrong spot. im new to this. it wont happen again.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I'm not familiar with your case, but there are possible mechanisms at play here. Your calves and/or whole body musculature may be at your genetic potential. This varies from person to person. It's in part due to satellite cell proliferation, which is "the 2nd part" to muscle protein synthesis after shear stress, IGF-1 influence of the Akt-mTOR pathway, and leucine activation of MPS. Genetics play a determining role in the extent to which one can activate satellite cell proliferation to increase myonucleii and therefore, myonuclear domain.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
I honestly didn't realise the powerlifting/strongman forum was the place to ask how to make my calves so 'swole'. Anyone know how I can get upto wrist-curling the 100's?

Seriously fella, post it where people care and that isn't here, unless the calf press has been added to the big 3 recently which I don't think it has somehow
pretty sure a mod will move it there fella, relax...