Rate of progression?

Wilsy7

Wilsy7

Awards
  • Established
I posted this in the training forum and got no response so will try in here! :)

Couple of questions if you don't mind. I've been wondering lately how quickly on average my weights/reps should be progressing. I've always trained to failure up until this past week were I'm going for target sets and reps to get in good quality volume so this will no doubt help me more than my previous method.

I see/read a lot were guys are able to add weight/increase reps week in week out. This just simply isn't the case for me, for example if I get a good couple of weeks squating, I'll be able to maybe add an extra couple of reps over 3-4 sets. I then up the weight and hit the target reps again but then the following week I'll hit a wall and struggle to hit the previous numbers? Sometimes even going backwards. This causes great confusion to me, never mind frustration. My diet is in check, 95%. Training was changed from a typical bro split to legs/push/pull off repeat so I'm hopeful I'll be able to make some headway with this now. I know I'm a bit premature after the changes I have made to see if they will help me. At least Now I feel with the structure I have I'll be able to get on the right track. Eg squats, 4 sets, 8-10 reps, I'll work up to 4 sets of 10 reps before adding weight. Once I hit my four sets should I add weight the following week? Or have a couple of workouts were I hit the full four sets before doing so? Maybe even doing 5 sets before upping the weight?

Another issue is when I do progress the rest of the workout suffers. Eg this week in push day, I upper my flat bench by 5lbs and was happy with the work I done. Then come OHP next I was one rep down on my third and fourth set of the same weight. Is this normal or am I worrying about nothing!?

Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Jordan

jobreezy72

jobreezy72

Awards
Its really nothing to worry about. It could depend whether or not you have fast twitch or slow twitch muscle fibers. Also if you dont mind me asking what does your diet consist of? And how often do you rest and recover? Those two are the most important variables in a workout regime