Protein Powder During Recomp Cycle

Bigwyatt

Awards
  • Established
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be starting my cycle soon and was wondering your thoughts on a heavy protein powder usage. I know real food is better, but sometimes that doesn't work with work. So would there be any issues with slamming down 150-200g of protein from just the powder? Then getting the rest from food. Aiming for around 300g+ a day.

So example breakfast, plus 40-50g of protein powder. Mid-day another 40-50g drink, then lunch, after the gym 40-50g drink, then dinner, then 40-50g drink before bed + cottage cheese (going to try and use casein or at least a mix of whey and casein).

Let me know your thoughts! Thank you.

Quick Stats:
28yrs old
6'4"
250lbs
BF: 16% (about)

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Really not the best but it should work fine... if your goal is 300g of protein daily I would personally try to get around 175-200g from meals and the rest from your shakes.

Bigwyatt

Awards
  • Established
I'm obviously going to try my best to get in the real food, but when I can't I'll do the shakes.

What's the major downside to shakes?

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't see a problem with shakes but I do always try and make each shake a meal. I never just shake up protein powder in water. I take preblended shakes to work and add oats, peanut butter, almond/soy milk and fruit depending on macro requirements. I feel you reduce the chances of stomach upset this way and your body is still having to process whole foods.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Ironically it’s not the protein that’s the issue with shakes imo (your body doesn’t know whether the whey is from powder or a whole food source) so aside from a limited range of protein sources (as you’ll be getting mainly whey) it’s no problem.

But what your losing is all the micronutrients and fibre etc that is also in the whole food source. I’d definitely be throwing in a good greens powder to try and off set some of that but imo that’s the key benefit to eating protein from a range of whole food sources, not the protein but the other stuff.

Steeleydan

Awards
  • Established
I dont see a problem with it. Like others said try your best to get as much whole food as you can and use the powder to help you get your daily protein goal met.

Also, not to hijack but Whisky what would be a good greens powder youd recommend?

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I mean it’s not that hard either to hit close to 200g from meals throughout your day

Bigwyatt

Awards
  • Established
I have green source packets, I can throw them into my shakes, multi vitamin, etc... So the micros should be okay. Going to try and do whole eggs/egg whites and Ezekiel bread for breakfast. Lunch would probly be a sandwhich, or PB, or portion of left over dinner. Then dinner, then cottage cheese before bed. I'm just a bad eater, even though I'm 6'4" 250lbs.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I dont see a problem with it. Like others said try your best to get as much whole food as you can and use the powder to help you get your daily protein goal met.

Also, not to hijack but Whisky what would be a good greens powder youd recommend?
Personally I use bulk powders, most bang for the buck in terms of what I’ve been able to find over the years. With greens (micros generally) I like variety rather than massive doses of a few things.

https://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/complete-greens.html?gcl****EAIaIQobChMIvOuKtdOn4AIVLrHtCh1Xrg1vEAAYASAAEgKJwvD_BwE

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be starting my cycle soon and was wondering your thoughts on a heavy protein powder usage. I know real food is better, but sometimes that doesn't work with work. So would there be any issues with slamming down 150-200g of protein from just the powder? Then getting the rest from food. Aiming for around 300g+ a day.

So example breakfast, plus 40-50g of protein powder. Mid-day another 40-50g drink, then lunch, after the gym 40-50g drink, then dinner, then 40-50g drink before bed + cottage cheese (going to try and use casein or at least a mix of whey and casein).

Let me know your thoughts! Thank you.

Quick Stats:
28yrs old
6'4"
250lbs
BF: 16% (about)
Would probably not be amazing for your stomach

AnabolicGuru

AnabolicGuru

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sure it’ll work, but it would still be better to get it from whole foods. I’d try to get at least 2/3 of it from whole foods if possible.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
EpiStrong Supplements 30
LJ57 Supplements 23
LJ57 Supplements 1
akboom87 Supplements 34
Supplements 30