Protein Bars - Thoughts and Best Ones out There

Beta

Awards
  • Established
Labdoor statements are absolutely horrendous and not worth a damn dime. They are totally bogus.
They ranked proteins that are spiked.. (don't meet label claims) VERY high.
Body Fortress being one of them which is absolute garbage. These people (Labdoor) do not do 3rd party or nitrogen tests to ensure you are getting which is 100% on the companies labels. So no they are nothing to even consider taking into account when labeling a product good or bad.

The CEO Of Labdoor even said this:

"A supplement that claims 30g of protein and delivers 25g will beat one that claims 20g of protein and delivers 20g."

Credibility? Not even once... They would put a spiked product on top of a product that meets label claims.
I had no idea! Thanks for the info.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Im not gonna lie........I actually scrolled down just to see your username because I knew if you took the time to chime in, it would be worth reading your reviews/recommendations.
BUT.....just looking at your list is making me fart from all the Maltitol. Damn.....why do companies still use that ****? Gas. Bloating. The runs. And it impacts blood sugar just like real sugar. wtf
Look @ the sugar alcohols on Oh yeah. its like what 10-12g a bar?
yeah.. Crazy..

I learned my lesson the hard way with protein bars the first time I went to the arnold. After sampling a bunch my stomach turned into a knot. I personally can not intake a large amount of them on a weekly or even daily basis. I know some people who have ate 6-12 in a sitting before (not that it is an optimal thing to do) but holy cow at that amount of alcohol sugars and fiber.. I would be a ticking time bomb not leaving the bathroom for hours.

CorpKiller

CorpKiller

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have been a Quest Ambassador for a couple years now, so of course I will say Quest bars are best ones (especially white chocolate raspberry!). However, yes, bars should be supplemental to a sound diet. Don't rely on them as part of your daily intake...unless you have to.
I like rocky road

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Was not a fan of synth-6 . They are like snap bars but a little heavier in Kcals but not better tasting

Oh yeah, NT crunch and mybar were all superior in taste. Plus I was a bigger fan of the outer laying and brownie like texture on the bars above. One bars are genuine soft and easy to consume right out of the package . Just not a huge fan of the sugar alcohols in them

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Quest, Quest cereal, Oh yeah One, Venture Bars, and D's Natural No Cow Bars are all bars that I have thoroughly enjoyed. As far as macros go, I would put Quest on top. The No Cow Bars are surprisingly good, imo, especially considering that they are a vegan bar.

Industrial

Industrial

Awards
I just ordered some quest and some power crunch ones. will have to check out fit crunch too

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can't believe people still enjoy Quest as much as they do. For those that enjoy Quest currently, have you had their original bars?

Industrial

Industrial

Awards
I can't believe people still enjoy Quest as much as they do. For those that enjoy Quest currently, have you had their original bars?
i did. they were like....cardboard. but now they have new flavors and redid their bars to make them more flavorful, so im willing to give them another shot.

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Syntha 6 = best crispy bar
Met-rx Big100 (cookie crunch) - best high cal bar
MyProtein Zero bars = best low carb bar
ProSupps MyCookie = best protein cookie
Fitcrunch brownie = best protein brownie

Eight

Eight

Awards
For the UK guys, if you see a deal on the Lux Protein Flapjacks from a well-known warehouse for body-builders, they're worth a try.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i did. they were like....cardboard. but now they have new flavors and redid their bars to make them more flavorful, so im willing to give them another shot.
I think most would say the opposite. They went from very good to average, both taste and consistency wise.

canewme

canewme

Awards
Good advice! I'm a low-carb lifer simply because that's worked so well for me going in 16 years now. I used to be s major fan/advocate for Quest bars. I used them almost daily because of my work routine at the time. I noticed after a while that I simply stopped losing weight regardless of what I did. I figured stay the course and things would right themselves outrank stranger to plateaus by the time you lose 180#. Anyway, I had a few days with my self-prepared food only and voila I was on track again. Until I added that first Quest bar to my day and I stalled. I played around a with this a few days and just gave them up. About a year later I noticed an article in a rag where Quest was sued, among other such companies, by the state of California for misleading content labels. That was when I learned that about the time my issue started was the same time that Quest and others like them switched to a soluble corn fiber as their filler. One technicality meant they could still count it as fiber content, but the reality is that it can wreak havoc for those sensitive to processed carbs.
Read the nutritional info panel AND the ingredients label. How many people are really just eating an over-priced candy bar?

Never say never because the never today is built only on what you know today. As you learn more, you'll also make different choices, otherwise there is no value to learning if it doesn't change your trajectory in life. And we know that isn't the case, now is it?
I apologize for being off topic, but that paragraph is one of the best statements I've read. The clarity and brevity of it belie veracity quotable far beyond the limits of a private forum.
Use a glucometer and eat a quest bar. See if you truly believe the whole net carb thing after trying that.. Just sayin'
I know a few people who are Type 1 diabetic and use a continuous glucose monitor. Their BG Raises quite a bit after eating a quest bar even with all the "net carbs". I would say they are a little off just based off what I have seen in my clients and others who check their Blood Glucose levels after certain food sources.

FitCrunch = best tasting protein bars on the market hands down... Peanut butter tastes like a reese's
MyBar (ProSupps), Nitrotech Crunch (MT), and Oh Yeah One are hands down the top 3 out there for flavoring and good profile.
Grenade I would put as a runner up to those 3 and quest coming in at 5. Quest gets hard super fast and are like rocks. Their flavoring is decent at best, but there are much better options above.

My Bar - Iced Cinnamon & Confetti Cake are solid
NitroTech Crunch - Birthday Cake = Awesome, Cinn Bun & Choc PB are both slamming good
Oh yeah One - Birthday Cake, Cinnamon Roll, Almond Bliss, Maple Glazed Donut, and Blueberry are good
Grenade - White Chocolate is the best followed up by Caramel Chaos

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Kirkland (Costco) Protein Bars for $0.90 ea. My opinion only, but *any* protein bar is a glorified candy bar and shouldn't be eaten often - ESPECIALLY at these outrageous prices of over $2/Bar!!! I'll eat one when I'm "done" for the day but still hungry. Or I somehow came up short on my total for the day. Travel is also where they shine. Taste is subjective so.... but I find the taste/texture etc... of the Kirklands fine. Oh, and did I mention they are 90 Cents Each? :D

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For the UK guys, if you see a deal on the Lux Protein Flapjacks from a well-known warehouse for body-builders, they're worth a try.
I've tried RX, Grenade and Optimum flapjacks. All were decent but wouldn't get again. I hear Phd and TheProteinWorks are two of the best, no?

Wildcat528

Wildcat528

Awards
  • Established
Quest bars ftw. Original and Hero bars are delicious and some of the lower calorie ones. Majority of my fitness friends and myself personally use them currently with great results.

And interestingly it appears they did adjust label claim calories at some point, at least for the double chocolate chunk (my favorite). They used to be 150 or 160 I believe and now are listed as 180.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
My biggest problem with quest is a majority of the time the bars don't even meet the label claim for weight. It should be 60g a bar, and most of the time they are under by a good bit even with the wrapper on.

So with the wrapper off it is 52g. I have had some bars weigh in around 48g an entire box.

Wildcat528

Wildcat528

Awards
  • Established
To each their own, a lottttttt of people enjoy them and have had success with them. Others don't. Just like most things. If someone doesn't like them or their effects then they don't have to buy or consume them. As we see here there are a lottttt of other options. This was definitely a good thread by the OP as it looks like I have some other bars to try! Thanks for the suggestions y'all

DEVANS89

DEVANS89

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Oh yeah chocolate candies bar.

Strange how the one bar gets a lot of attention but the older one bars taste so good.

Who doesn't want m&ms in a bar?!

Having said that oh yeah glazed donut is one of the best tasting bars out there

Eight

Eight

Awards
I hear Phd and TheProteinWorks are two of the best, no?
I buy PHD Diet Whey bars fairly regularly - because they're quite easy to find and have decent macro profiles. But, to be frank without being overly mean, they're boring and tasteless.

Never tried anything from TheProteinWorks, so I can't comment on those.

DEVANS89

DEVANS89

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I buy PHD Diet Whey bars fairly regularly - because they're quite easy to find and have decent macro profiles. But, to be frank without being overly mean, they're boring and tasteless.

I've tried a few things from them, the chocolate brownie lux spread, the cacao clusters and there flapjacks.

Stuff is quality, they use a lot of raw cacao though so the stuff can taste pretty bitter though

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My biggest problem with quest is a majority of the time the bars don't even meet the label claim for weight. It should be 60g a bar, and most of the time they are under by a good bit even with the wrapper on.

So with the wrapper off it is 52g. I have had some bars weigh in around 48g an entire box.
I had this issue with a few batches of Quest as well. I have measured other bars, and they are no 100% on point either, but they are not off by 5+ grams.

Industrial

Industrial

Awards
I just tried the power crunch bars today and they were really good, but kind of high in carbs. but they were good, thanks for the referral! I got some quest bars too, but haven't tried them yet.

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I bought phd smart bars after all the good reviews they got, but I am not a fan.

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Yeah the Phd diet whey are decent considering the macros but there are far better tasting bars for sure

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I just tried the power crunch bars today and they were really good, but kind of high in carbs. but they were good, thanks for the referral! I got some quest bars too, but haven't tried them yet.
If you do the original power crunch flavors they are under 14g or so

I think they have come out with some new types of bars in addition to the original (fudge peanut, peanut cream, mint chocolate, triple fudge, vanilla, berry cream)

Em3

Awards
  • First Up Vote
To me Muscletech Nitrotech Crunch bars are the best macro wise beyond anything I've found for my goals.

I like as low of a sugar and sugar alcohol to carbs as possibly while still keeping the great taste. 24 grams of carbs with only 5 grams of sugar and 3 grams of sugar alcohol. All while at the same time keeping fiber at a moderate amount, which they only have 5g each. I eat an adequate amount of fiber and if I happen to go thru 3 bars in a day I want to realize I just took in another 45~ grams of fiber from them. And of course they have your 22g protein and moderate fat and the protein is from whey.

Industrial

Industrial

Awards
the quest bars i got sucked!

however, the chocolate chip cookie dough one was good. the others tasted terrible. (lemon, peanut butter)

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer

however, the chocolate chip cookie dough one was good. the others tasted terrible. (lemon, peanut butter)
try the powercrunch. They have half the carbs

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

Quest CnC and cookie dough are good.
Hero bar vanilla is a good one

So many better ones out there
Fit crunch - PB
My bar - iced cinn, confetti cake
Oh yeah one - birthday cake , maple donut , Finn roll, almond , blueberry
Muscle tech nitrotech crunch - birthday , cinnamon

compan

compan

Awards
Oh Yeah Ones are great if you can handle the sugar alcohols. Same with Grenade. Grenade being my preferred bar.

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
The oh yeah blueberry cobbler is phenomenal...

jaredmus

jaredmus

Awards
Oh Yeah Ones are great if you can handle the sugar alcohols. Same with Grenade. Grenade being my preferred bar.
never had grenade but the ONE are stellar-- maple donut, salted caramel . whatever the blueberry cobbler is all good.. almond bliss reminds me like an almond joy

compan

compan

Awards
never had grenade but the ONE are stellar-- maple donut, salted caramel . whatever the blueberry cobbler is all good.. almond bliss reminds me like an almond joy
I LOVE the almond bliss because of my love for almond joys. I haven't tried any of the new One flavors though. The place near my work that used to carry them doesn't anymore.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I LOVE the almond bliss because of my love for almond joys. I haven't tried any of the new One flavors though. The place near my work that used to carry them doesn't anymore.
Maple donut is unreal
Prepare

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ONE bars are indeed awesome. Skip the Grenade Carb Killa bars....WAY overhyped....

mike33511

Awards
  • Established
I can't believe only one person has mentioned Met-Rx Big100 Colossal Bars! Crispy Apple Pie, Super Cookie Crunch, and Peanut Butter Pretzel are the best. Fit Crunch Peanut Butter and Birthday Cake are good, too. I don't really see the point of the lower calorie protein bars. If I'm on a cut, I won't eat protein bars at all because I choose to spend my calories on healthier and more satiating food choices. If I'm on a bulk, I'm eating the protein bar because It's a quick and easy way to get in 30g of protein and 400 calories.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I can't believe only one person has mentioned Met-Rx Big100 Colossal Bars! Crispy Apple Pie, Super Cookie Crunch, and Peanut Butter Pretzel are the best. Fit Crunch Peanut Butter and Birthday Cake are good, too. I don't really see the point of the lower calorie protein bars. If I'm on a cut, I won't eat protein bars at all because I choose to spend my calories on healthier and more satiating food choices. If I'm on a bulk, I'm eating the protein bar because It's a quick and easy way to get in 30g of protein and 400 calories.
Makes sense. I'm not a big Connoisseur of PB's - but those giant Robert Irvine bars are friggen high protein candy to me! The Brownies too. I'm unconvinced that at the end of a year, you could tell the difference between eating any calorie/macro equated bar (obviously they need to be in the same ballpark, not Whey vs Collagen, etc...).

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Makes sense. I'm not a big Connoisseur of PB's - but those giant Robert Irvine bars are friggen high protein candy to me! The Brownies too. I'm unconvinced that at the end of a year, you could tell the difference between eating any calorie/macro equated bar (obviously they need to be in the same ballpark, not Whey vs Collagen, etc...).
Still can't find the brownies local. Want to try one.. Maybe I will look in pittsburgh tomorrow if I stop at a 3 letter store or VS right downtown by the venue for master nationals.

canewme

canewme

Awards

As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, I no longer use Quest bars. But, a few things from days gone by that made for an even nicer treat with them...
-chocolate chip cookie dough: take the whole thing out of the wrapper, knead it a minute or so, and then place in the toaster oven or red oven for 8-10 minutes. You get an amazingly good cookie
-fudge brownie: This one is known for being rather hard to chew. Remove from wrapper, place on a microwave safe plate, & nuke it for 15-20 seconds. It's like a fresh piece of chocolate cake. Eat immediately for "cake" effect. Let cool and it becomes more of a chewy traditional brownie

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I got a coupon from krogers for a free RX BAR...

3 egg whites
6 almonds
4 cashews
2 dates
no b.s.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've got the blueberry flavor....and best part I get to try it for free!!!

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

3 egg whites
6 almonds
4 cashews
2 dates
no b.s.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've got the blueberry flavor....and best part I get to try it for free!!!
Put it in a blender and bake it?

Industrial

Industrial

Awards

3 egg whites
6 almonds
4 cashews
2 dates
no b.s.

You have to make the RX Bar yourself?

:D

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer

3 egg whites
6 almonds
4 cashews
2 dates
no b.s.

they don't taste bad. LIttle high in sugar, but at least its natural I guess