Pros/Cons of a dirty bulk

Borashi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I mean why not? I eat good 90 percent of the time but sometimes life gets in the way and my only choice is burgers tacos or chicken tenders. I feel guilty when I eat bad but sometimes it can't be helped..

Honey

Honey

Awards
90% of eating "good" isn't dirty bulking. Dirty bulking is getting your calorie surplus from any source without any standards or criteria for nutrients.

While you are achieving a calorie surplus, you're doing so from foods that are giving you rubbish nutrients, such as fats and simple carbs. You're waiting your appetite on junk when instead you could be filling your appetite with complex carbs and protein.

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I usually do a mix of it. I eat lean in the morning and usually the same thing every morning, no less than 900cal of oats, eggs and egg whites, Ezekiel toast, turkey sausage, cheese and hot sauce if the same boring foods make me wanna hurl. Hot sauce seems to help me get it all down. Lunch varies but is usually pretty clean, then at night if I don’t have enough calories in but have plenty of protein, I’ll eat half or a whole pizza. I don’t get much time to eat outside of 3 meals usually but have been lucky enough lately to be able to eat 5-6 smaller meals a day which makes it more manageable.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
90% of eating "good" isn't dirty bulking. Dirty bulking is getting your calorie surplus from any source without any standards or criteria for nutrients.

While you are achieving a calorie surplus, you're doing so from foods that are giving you rubbish nutrients, such as fats and simple carbs. You're waiting your appetite on junk when instead you could be filling your appetite with complex carbs and protein.
Yep, this ^^^^. What you are describing is not a dirty bulk. A dirty bulk not only means calories from any nutrient poor foods but also a significant surplus of calories. Aim being to ensure weight gain and accepting a big chunk of that will be fat. You don’t leave any muscle gain on the table but imo it’s not a great way to approach things for most.

A lean bulk would be in a small surplus of calories - aiming to minimise fat gain whilst achieving near maximal fat gain.

It should be noted that it’s total calories and not the source of those that determine whether you are bulking or cutting (you could cut eating crap in theory).

Dirty bulking is associated with crap foods as it’s fcujing hard to create a massive surplus off chicken and broccoli.

Honey

Honey

Awards
I've actually never understood the appeal of broccoli in any bodybuilding diet. Incomplete source of protein, bugger all calories unless you eat a tonne of them and they taste like ****e.

Chicken can go right ahead though. Yummy.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I've actually never understood the appeal of broccoli in any bodybuilding diet. Incomplete source of protein, bugger all calories unless you eat a tonne of them and they taste like ****e.

Broccoli tastes amazing. You just don't know how to cook. That's all that is.

Broccoli is a traditional bodybuilding food, full of diindoylmethane, indole-3-carbinol, and fiber. It also serves as the perfect carrier for oils and salt.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Pros: you definitely gain weight

Cons: half of that weight is fat.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Rub it with olive oil, sprinkle with dried garlic and smoked paprika and bake in the oven for around 15-20 mins. Thank me later

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Rub it with olive oil, sprinkle with dried garlic and smoked paprika and bake in the oven for around 15-20 mins. Thank me later
I steam it until tender then slather it in a mix of olive oil and butter... And salt.

Otherwise I make a really good Chinese style broccoli.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you dirty bulk following John Kiefer's carb back loading protocol, fat will be mininal.

Dholmes90

Awards
This. Broccoli can taste quite good if you know what you're doing. I personally like to throw a whole bunch of brocolli on a baking pan, rub it with olive oil and season it with garlic powder and squeeze some lemon juice on it too. Bake it in the oven or toaster oven for 15-20 mins as you said and you're set. I do the same thing with asparagus too.

Borashi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How bout chicken and broccoli steamed from the chink joint? Mmm... Delicious.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I mean why not? I eat good 90 percent of the time but sometimes life gets in the way and my only choice is burgers tacos or chicken tenders. I feel guilty when I eat bad but sometimes it can't be helped..
Don’t overthink it,...Eat big, train hard, make your gains...It’ll all work out in the end...

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is what's gonna happen.. As long as you get your perfect calorie intake you're building muscles at a perfect rate right? Any extra weight will be fat not muscles. There's always a limit to what you can build.

No dirty bulking is silly and it doesn't do anything but making you fat. If your perfect intake is 3k calories (impossible to know) you have to make sure these calories are from good sources both for health and physique.

Reactions: Nac

bradleyt1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is what's gonna happen.. As long as you get your perfect calorie intake you're building muscles at a perfect rate right? Any extra weight will be fat not muscles. There's always a limit to what you can build.

No dirty bulking is silly and it doesn't do anything but making you fat. If your perfect intake is 3k calories (impossible to know) you have to make sure these calories are from good sources both for health and physique.
Hey bro weren’t we just in another thread with something like this lol! Any way I completely agree with you. People seem to over look muscle building in terms of fitting in the macros when thenmicronutrients are equally as important to the muscle building process. Dirty bulking just sounds like an excuse to eat whatever whenever.. if you want to build an impressive physique you need to have discipline both in the gym and out. Look at Seth feroce videos and other ifbb. Dude is by no mean s small and yet has no more than a 6 oz portion of protein per meal. I don’t care what anybody says 6 smaller meals a day works much more efficient in the body than 3 larger meals. If not than why do competitors do that? There is areas on the meal plans consist of the same “boring” foods.. oats, yams, etc etc. because they work.. if I eat equal calories in pizza or pop tarts I’d does not elicit the same effect as yams etc. what do you think bro? Thanks!

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey bro weren’t we just in another thread with something like this lol! Any way I completely agree with you. People seem to over look muscle building in terms of fitting in the macros when thenmicronutrients are equally as important to the muscle building process. Dirty bulking just sounds like an excuse to eat whatever whenever.. if you want to build an impressive physique you need to have discipline both in the gym and out. Look at Seth feroce videos and other ifbb. Dude is by no mean s small and yet has no more than a 6 oz portion of protein per meal. I don’t care what anybody says 6 smaller meals a day works much more efficient in the body than 3 larger meals. If not than why do competitors do that? There is areas on the meal plans consist of the same “boring” foods.. oats, yams, etc etc. because they work.. if I eat equal calories in pizza or pop tarts I’d does not elicit the same effect as yams etc. what do you think bro? Thanks!
That's very possible we were haha. No I agree with you. Personally I eat very little many times a day and a huge breakfast. Im not saying a huge breakfast is optimal for everyone but I feel good doing that. My main thing is to keep bloodsugar stable and having tried different diets over the years, I've come to the conclusion to what's best for me. I also prefer more fat than carbs and staying lean year round.

It's very simple to say broccoli rice and chicken and it works but that's because you cut down fats. You can eat high fat high protein and little carbs also like they did back in the days. The ibff pros now have insulin, trenbolone, hgh, fatburners etc and that makes it easier tolerating so much carbs. The whole scare thing with fats is also a problem. Most animals depend on fats not carbs. Regardless of gains in the gym its an healthier approach.

One very simple thing to remember is that you need to pick one, either fat or carbs but not both at high amounts.

I believe the easiest approach is to bulk on more carbs and cut on more fat.

Borashi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm always trying to better my nutrition. Learning a lot from these replies. I have stubborn fat around my belly and I hate cardio, so I've went back to fasted lifting sessions. Good idea or no? I also try to eat 6 meals a day, one meal being large I.e. steak, baked potato, the rest being chicken breast, carrots, potatoes, eggs. I'm still maintaining weight since being off cycle. I've just lifted heavy and eat big, I don't feel I will ever be fully satisfied with my progress. It's a sickness.

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm always trying to better my nutrition. Learning a lot from these replies. I have stubborn fat around my belly and I hate cardio, so I've went back to fasted lifting sessions. Good idea or no? I also try to eat 6 meals a day, one meal being large I.e. steak, baked potato, the rest being chicken breast, carrots, potatoes, eggs. I'm still maintaining weight since being off cycle. I've just lifted heavy and eat big, I don't feel I will ever be fully satisfied with my progress. It's a sickness.
Try to cut down the carbs.. Instead of potato have broccoli and add a tablespoon of peanut butter instead. Try be around 100gr of carbs a day coming from slow carbs like Oats, veggies etc and no rice pasta or potato. Just try it for 1 month and if you feel good on it and see results you know its working.

(for the stubborn belly fat)

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I steam it until tender then slather it in a mix of olive oil and butter... And salt.

Otherwise I make a really good Chinese style broccoli.
Yeah steamed with butter also works for me. And I have salt on everything....love me some salt

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It can be helped with something called willpower. Prepare your food before work. Take it in tupperware.

I cheated yesterday wuite a bit with pizza. I also did 40 minutes of cardio yesterday as well with abs. Im not getting ready for a contest so i allowed it and it felt good in the short term; however, if I would have stayed on lower calorie diet that day I would havent felt aas good, but my belly wouldnt be as protruded as it is now. 90% is a recipe for fatness. Im not where I want to be leanwise year round; although I stay decent, ive been through so many competition preps, and it is very, very difficult to lose 35 lbs verses 25 lbs away from stage conditioning.

Some body fat is needed after a competition for strength but over a certain point its doing any good and causing health issues like insulin resistance, heavy breathing, stomach distending and looking like a teletubby. Not good for health. Hey, youre choice though, If that's what you want though, hey we still love you.

I prefer to prepare my food before work or going somewhere in my tupperware most of the time. Thats not to say you cant enjoy yourself and eat out, but 90 %.. maybe more like 10 % at most in the offseason.

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It can be helped with something called willpower. Prepare your food before work. Take it in tupperware.

I cheated yesterday wuite a bit with pizza. I also did 40 minutes of cardio yesterday as well with abs. Im not getting ready for a contest so i allowed it and it felt good in the short term; however, if I would have stayed on lower calorie diet that day I would havent felt aas good, but my belly wouldnt be as protruded as it is now. 90% is a recipe for fatness. Im not where I want to be leanwise year round; although I stay decent, ive been through so many competition preps, and it is very, very difficult to lose 35 lbs verses 25 lbs away from stage conditioning.

Some body fat is needed after a competition for strength but over a certain point its doing any good and causing health issues like insulin resistance, heavy breathing, stomach distending and looking like a teletubby. Not good for health. Hey, youre choice though, If that's what you want though, hey we still love you.

I prefer to prepare my food before work or going somewhere in my tupperware most of the time. Thats not to say you cant enjoy yourself and eat out, but 90 %.. maybe more like 10 % at most in the offseason.
I also had a pizza and it was the best thing I've had in months.. Not competing but I still dont really eat much tasty things haha

Borashi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Teletubbies. That's a good reference. I guess I'm worried if I run a DMZ cycle, I will eat everything in site since protein synthesis increased and my body can absorb/process more protein. I still don't believe you can gain mass muscle without a certain percentage of gaining fat as well.

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Teletubbies. That's a good reference. I guess I'm worried if I run a DMZ cycle, I will eat everything in site since protein synthesis increased and my body can absorb/process more protein. I still don't believe you can gain mass muscle without a certain percentage of gaining fat as well.
Well its not normal not to add fat when gaining weight. The only reason we manage this is because we chose what to eat at all times. I think it's very possible to not add much fat at all while gaining if you got your (personal, optimal) diet dialed down. It can take years to get to perfection.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Nah DMZ will suppress your appetite somewhat. One of those things that comes with being toxic.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Meh, Id rather leave some gainz on the table and have less fat to lose down the track. Dirty bulking can be great short term, but youll likely regret it.

bradleyt1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I myself have been through 4 competition preps and for the first 3 I would do the typical 3 month precontest diet and then right after the show pretty much going back to eating whatever I really wanted as an off-season.. big mistake. However with the 4th and my last comp in 2016 I had a year long offseason after where my coach had the same prep diet more or less but we slowly added more calories and 2 cheat meals were allowed weekly. I can say that was the best I ever looked year round in my life! Slowly gaining clean quality size and then of course I eventually fell off.. now I have pulled out all my old plans and have already switched on the mindset to get as lean as possible like a mini cut. And then hopefully slowly add back the calories and continue to build up with minimal fat gain. I think that is the way to go. To not go to far off from stage weight.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Nah...beef rump for me. Seriously bug difference in recovery.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
How many grams of protein would you say you get from that?
Each 300g serve yields about 80g protein off the top of my head. But it's not about the protein, I think my body likes the fats and micronutrients beef provides.
Edit: 60g protein per 300g serve. I looked it up.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know this is a small issue, but I hate the term clean and dirty bulk. It makes newer people to fitness think of clean foods versus dirty foods when it really comes down to a smaller surplus or a bigger one, no matter the food choices.

I think a dirty bulk is good for one that has a hard time putting on weight or even one that has a physical job. I like the clean, lower surplus, approach, because it lessens the time I would need to cut in the future. Sure, I will not put mass on as quickly, but that is fine with me. Also, I think it comes down how much body fat one has too. More, a leaner bulk would be better, less, a dirty bulk would be good.