Problems bulking up.

Terrk

Awards
Hey fellas, new to the forums, and I've recently gotten into body building. I'm currently deployed and hitting the gym on a 6 on/1 off schedule.

I'm 22 and my metabolism is VERY fast, and I'm constently hungry, which makes me think I'm not eating correctly. The food choice out here is very poor. Right now I'm eating lots of chicken and pasta, and chicken salads, as well as some red meat once a week.

Despite all that, I'm not seeing any real bulk gain, at all. Just cut, and to be honest, there's not much i can cut on my skinny ass

Any nutrition advice that might help my situation?

I'm currently on N.O Xplode and TRUE Mass, and I'm considering ANIMAL TEST.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
how about eggs, peanut butter, string cheese, whole milk?

sounds like you're missing cholesterol and mono fats from your diet. the above would correct that. if you're seriously a hard gainer, think about adding in some half and half to your diet :)

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try cutting down to working out 3 days a week and doing compound lifts.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
track your intake on fitday.com then you'll know just where you are. and remember, fats are easy calories. access to olive oil? 2-3 shots a day will do you fine.

Terrk

Awards
track your intake on fitday.com then you'll know just where you are. and remember, fats are easy calories. access to olive oil? 2-3 shots a day will do you fine.
Thanks for that link, it helps a ton! It showed that I'm falling like 1200 calories short, just to break even!

Which is probably why I'm not gaining much after working so hard.

As far as the Olive Oil, I tried searching the forums for some more information but I couldn't find what type I should use. Can I just use plan olive oil from the grocey store?

We don't have access to it out here, but I'm probably going to have my wife ship me some.

Try cutting down to working out 3 days a week and doing compound lifts.
Last time I was out here I only worked out 3 times a week, but I didn't see any improvement in mass. This time I've gone from 150 pounds to 169 working 6 days a week, but my 5th day is only cardio, nothing serious!

but now I'm stuck at 169 pounds, and I have been for a few months.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
when ever i hear someone say they're "stuck" i hear one thing....."i've been doing to same thing for a while". time to change diet and possibly training, but defiently diet.

Dyou

Dyou

Awards
  • Established
hey terrk, i was in your exact situation but i worked and worked out 7 days a week lol. where are you stationed? anyways back in 04 when i was deployed i would eat everything the dfac could throw my way, it was the best shape and biggest i have ever been. like suncloud said get some cholesterol in there, i know the dfac serves eggs and fats are verry important also. from your post it sounds like you already know you need to be in a calorie surplus to grow but if your iraq or afganistan where its insanely hot i would suggest eating more than the +500 cals over maintenance and if your sweating alot make sure to throw some salt in there to make up for all that sodium you losing. best of luck man.

Terrk

Awards
hey terrk, i was in your exact situation but i worked and worked out 7 days a week lol. where are you stationed? anyways back in 04 when i was deployed i would eat everything the dfac could throw my way, it was the best shape and biggest i have ever been. like suncloud said get some cholesterol in there, i know the dfac serves eggs and fats are verry important also. from your post it sounds like you already know you need to be in a calorie surplus to grow but if your iraq or afganistan where its insanely hot i would suggest eating more than the +500 cals over maintenance and if your sweating alot make sure to throw some salt in there to make up for all that sodium you losing. best of luck man.
Thanks man! Today I started on a 4,000 cals diet. I know that sounds like a ****ton, but I was eating 3300, and not gaining anything, so I figure the 4,000 cals should help me bulk up!

yeah, the **** at the DFAC is fairly...****ty... but I'm eating more eggs, but the hard boiled ones suck ass, they bleach em and there so terrible.

when ever i hear someone say they're "stuck" i hear one thing....."i've been doing to same thing for a while". time to change diet and possibly training, but defiently diet.
You are right! I've changed up my routine today, and my diet is going to consist of MORE cals. I think the diet I was on worked great for a while, but now I'm just not eating enough..

Thanks for the great advice guys.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
you're 5'9". i'm 2 inches shorter and often take in 4K cals/day which definitely helps me grow.
i get there with lots of whole milk, 2-3 shots of olive oil/day, and basically eating every 2-3 hours all day stuffing myself. its harder overall than lifting....the focus and work i need to get in 4K cals far outshines the 1 hour i lift 4x/wk. the change in lifting pattern may help, but remember food is the best anabolic.

jackedandtan1

jackedandtan1

Awards
hey man i to am a little guy tring to get bigger to easy way to add cals 2-3 scoops peanut butter with every proteinshake thats a quick 6hundo right there were u deployded to man theres a bunch of military guys on here and most of us can realate man i know even last year when i was in kuwait and iraq i could eat enough to keep cals up just make food and throw it in your asualt pack bro

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
Get on Size Surge! Google it.

There's many adding mass/size programs out there. But 6 days on, one day off. That's NONO. 4 days max!

And for someone like you, you better eat every 2-3 hrs. Many small meals thruout the day is best.

Dyou

Dyou

Awards
  • Established
are the 4k cals filling you up? i didnt have a way to monitor how much cals i was taking in every day but people in my motorpool had to hide any type of food from me, i would go to the dfac fill up then take a plate to go. believe me i know how ****ty dfac food is and its even worse when your constantly being assaulted by those iraqi flys lmao. i know to some 4k for a 170lb person may sound like alot but you have to think about how much harder military people work everyday in temps that reach 130. back then we had to wear our flack vests everywhere and thats a good 40lbs so your burning more cals than you would think.

loki515

Awards
these shots of olive oil, are they really just like "shots" like liquior? dammit that just sounds bad, I use it on just about everything i cook but never thought of drinking it.

jackedandtan1

jackedandtan1

Awards
yea i usaully take a protein shaker, 2 protein shakes in ziplock bags a jar a PB feild strip 2mre's and have a to go plate in the humvee dude i know what u mean on the fly's they r brutal man and yea the body army ammo and weapon easily exeed 40 lbs expecually if u got a saw its work just having to piss and if u have to **** the porta johns r 140 just a fuc*ing oven man