post cardio nutrition?

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
I've never really heard it discussed.... I usually just take 25g whey immediately after with relatively no carbs. any thoughts?

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Treat post cardio nutrition the same as you would PWO nutrition. They are one and the same. Cardio increases insulin sensitivity the same way strength training does if not better.

KCPreki11

Awards
  • Established
Just to expand upon Chasec's question, should something be eaten/drank between weights and cardio if we go straight from lifting to cardio?

Snachito

Board Supporter
Awards
Treat post cardio nutrition the same as you would PWO nutrition. They are one and the same. Cardio increases insulin sensitivity the same way strength training does if not better.
I did not know this, thanks Lean One!

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Just to expand upon Chasec's question, should something be eaten/drank between weights and cardio if we go straight from lifting to cardio?
Nope. Well, water. That's about it. ;)

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
I advise against drinking anything imediately pre cardio 'cuz it will cause an insulin release that will inhibit lipolisis. The key is to have propper pre WO nutrition before strength training. If you're doing cardio imediately following, it's a non issue.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I advise against drinking anything imediately pre cardio 'cuz it will cause an insulin release that will inhibit lipolisis. The key is to have propper pre WO nutrition before strength training. If you're doing cardio imediately following, it's a non issue.
Exactly, Basically if your looking to burn fat, DO NOT drink a shake before cardio just go straight into it. Besides the protein would not be used for it's intended purpose (muscle building) which is why you took it in the first place.

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
nice; i've been on the right track. my pre-workout meal never really varies (cup of oats, yogurt, whey) but after cardio i tend to use only whey protein in water, when after a weight session i use vitamin d milk for the added carbs/fat/kcal

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
How about BCAAs before/during cardio to help save muscle?

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
How about BCAAs before/during cardio to help save muscle?
I would only recomend it if someone was hell bent on fasted state morning cardio, but it still really would'n make that big of a difrence in the grand scheme of things. If doing cardio after a propper pre WO meal later in the day, then AAs aren't nesesary.

kraz

kraz

Awards
What about whey mixed with simple carbs (Dextrose or Maltodextrin) to cause an Insulin spike?

kitchenstud

kitchenstud

Awards
i'm a big believer in "Nutrient Timing," so I usually follow up every workout with at least a small amount of a homemade sports drink that I sweeten with dextrose and maltodextrin.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
What about whey mixed with simple carbs (Dextrose or Maltodextrin) to cause an Insulin spike?

I don't think that's needed or good after cardio. HIIT, sure, but not regular cardio. I think a shake PWO should do the job nicely, if not even just a regular meal.

kraz

kraz

Awards
I'd personally use some BCAAs.
I thought you are supposed to take BCAA 20min before a workout. It will then kick in about 45minutes later, which means that you are in an anabolic state after training.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I would only recomend it if someone was hell bent on fasted state morning cardio, but it still really would'n make that big of a difrence in the grand scheme of things. If doing cardio after a propper pre WO meal later in the day, then anabolic steroids aren't nesesary.
Sorry did you just say BCAA are anabolic steroids?

Fisha7487

Fisha7487

Awards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lean One
I would only recomend it if someone was hell bent on fasted state morning cardio, but it still really would'n make that big of a difrence in the grand scheme of things. If doing cardio after a propper pre WO meal later in the day, then anabolic steroids aren't nesesary.

Sorry did you just say BCAA are anabolic steroids?
LOL, thats how i read it too. I imagine that was a typo?

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Unless your on a real, real serious cut, I would have some simple carbohydrates along with a shake. An apple/orange/banana will do wonders at restoring your glycogen levels to prime an effective recovery.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have a normal meal, just like after a strength workout. i'm not much of a believer in spiking myself with simple sugars post workout.