P90x Graduate, considering HIIT

swellsummer

swellsummer

Awards
I looked through the forum looking for hopefully s thread dedicated to this but did not find one. I am on my own weight loss journey since January of this year, so far Im in the range of 70-75 pounds lost. I did p90x all the way through and currently was going to finish the last phase a second time around, when I decided to try out a HIIT program that I found online which is a 30 day program. Now I am just wondering what you guys think is more productive for me to do, continue on weight lifting with p90x or go ahead and try out this HIIT program, my main goal is fat loss at this point, right now I just finished day 3 of the HIIT and am just feeling a little insecure about the program, obviously it does not take anywhere as long as the p90x work outs. Any opinions and input would be greatly appreciated!!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey swell, welcome to AM.

May of 2013 I finished the p90x routine. Absolutely loved it. Lost a lot of weight, was feeling like a million bucks while doing cardio, and thought I was at my physical peak.

Then I switched jobs, and doing plyo on a wood floor at 0330 was a no-no according to my wife. Lol.

Anyway, I ended up going to a gym instead and slowly doing more lifting with greater-than-bodyweight compound movements, and I'm stronger than ever, and with a little additional HIIT added my cardio I not far from where it was either.

Just sharing with you a VERY short summary of my history because I believe anyone, especially with observing a forum like this, will have far better results with a weight training routine over a video routine or an HIIT/crossfit-only routine.

You stated that fat loss is your goal, and the increase of muscle will increase your metabolism and lose fat quicker, in my personal experience, then only doing high intensity training (see also, skinny-fat).

These are just my opinions from where I've been. All this said, I believe a routine that keeps you on track with your workouts, that isn't the same week in and week out (p90x changes things around), challenges you, and most importantly makes you feel good about yourself, is the way to go.

Keep trying new things though, including this new HIIT thing, just to learn as much as possible. I start a new routine every few months and constantly learn something new every week about myself.

Keep us posted, and if you decide to log a workout here let me know. I'd love to follow.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Here's a killer workout program that I did a year ago - 2013 Rock Hard Challenge. It's very detailed and includes a nutrition program as well. You'll be doing weights + steady state and HIIT cardio. It certainly is challenging especially if you follow the diet. It runs for 2 months.

swellsummer

swellsummer

Awards
Thanks for the input guys! I will definitely check that 8 week program out. I'm looking through some of it now and it looks promising.