OH shoulder press foot positioning?

Drock1234

Awards
Specific to a BB overhead shoulder press (not push press)

Do most people use a neutral shoulder width stance or split stance? It is one of my weaker lifts and just curious what other people do that put up serious weight.

napalm

napalm

Awards
<--shoulder width...

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

Drock1234

Awards
Thanks guys. I am going to try staggered tomorrow because I've only used shoulder width. I have wide shoulders so find myself getting stuck when I bring the BB down to my collar bone without using my legs to push back up.

compudog

compudog

Awards
I go slightly wider than shoulder width & focus on flexing abs & glutes to set up.

Jcweinsx

Awards
google "Bill Starr The Quest for a Stronger Overhead Press" for ideas on hip and posterior chain to start off the rack position. I use neutral shoulder width but I'm not moving a ton of weight only working 5x5 @ 78% of BW for 155 lbs.

Do you have a leg that is significantly stronger than the other? That might be a good reason to stagger.

Drock1234

Awards
google "Bill Starr The Quest for a Stronger Overhead Press" for ideas on hip and posterior chain to start off the rack position. I use neutral shoulder width but I'm not moving a ton of weight only working 5x5 @ 78% of BW for 155 lbs.

Do you have a leg that is significantly stronger than the other? That might be a good reason to stagger.
Thanks man, I will read through the article when I have more time.

I think my right is stronger than my left side but I don't know by how much...I tried a staggered feet position this morning and felt a lot more solid. The position my upper body was in is more comfortable and I could feel the stability more in my lats.

I'm thinking that my shoulders are weaker because how wide they are. And I probably need to up the core work for stability to increase my lift.

Jcweinsx

Awards
Hand position on the bar could also affect stability. Wider grip would seem more stable but causes problems in the joint. T nation also had a article on this in past day or two. If I had a noticeable instability between shoulders I would add accessory lifts to isolate each side like arnold press kettle bells etc. the shoulder is a very complicated system.