Oat flour

Ianhockey91

Awards
I know a lot of guys are putting ground oats in thier PWO shakes, would oat flour do??

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I've tried it and I don't recommend it. It looks and tastes almost exactly like if you tried to mix a bunch of white flour into your shake. All pasty and nasty.

If you have to put oats in your shake either run them through a coffee grinder first or use a blender. They also have boxes of baby oatmeal in the baby foods section of your grocery store. It's more expensive and it is also fortified w/ iron, but mixes pretty decent.

Ianhockey91

Awards
I've tried it and I don't recommend it. It looks and tastes almost exactly like if you tried to mix a bunch of white flour into your shake. All pasty and nasty.

If you have to put oats in your shake either run them through a coffee grinder first or use a blender. They also have boxes of baby oatmeal in the baby foods section of your grocery store. It's more expensive and it is also fortified w/ iron, but mixes pretty decent.
Thanks for the heads up I use the coffee grinder right now but i was trying to save myself some time

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I've thought about getting a burr grinder, which basically works like a coffee grinder but does large portions at a time. They're like $100 though and I'm not sure how much I'd really use one.

Lately I've been using a handheld Oster blender. You just dump your ingredients in a glass and then dip the blender stick in and turn it on. Much less cleaning than a regular blender. The catch is that while it does oats alright, it's not supposed to be used with ice.

Riminator

Awards
Whenever you guys get the cash, I HIGHLY recommend a Vitamix blender. I put whole almonds, oats, ice, etc and it blends everything you throw at it. My pwo shake: 1 cup water, 1/2 cup oats, banana, 50g hydrolyzed whey.

Rim

GrossSizeRocks

Awards
Been meaning to ask this question for a while when I saw references to oats-in-shakes in other threads.Apart from the oat flour and baby oatmeal mentioned above, what are most people using? Is it just plain old regular oatmeal as sold for hot cereal use in those small, very dry flakes? Any difference between the original version of oatmeal and the instant stuff? Do you prep it in any way, like cook it, half-cook it or at least soak it a while, or is it straight from the box to the blender? Does a normal blender produce a reasonably smooth liquid shake or is it sort of like drinking thin cereal unless you use a coffee grinder before the blender?I'd prefer a simple one-pot-meal approach using just a blender, but am interested in how the rest of you do it.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I use Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal (or a generic version). The more processed it is, generally the higher the GI, so most advise staying away from the instant stuff, especially the packets mixed w/ sugar and junk. Steel cut oats are supposed to be the best, but they're hard to find for a decent price in many areas.

I just toss the oats in a blender w/ milk, whey, fruit, etc. It's a little gritty especially at the bottom of the shake, but that's no big deal to me.

Nobody's saying you NEED to use oats, but they're probably the best carb choice to add to a shake.

GrossSizeRocks

Awards
Moyer, thanks for the response. I have been getting oats for some time, but I'm kinda sick of the traditional hot cereal approach unless I add so much **** that I miss the whole glycemic index point.

Putting anything in a blender and gulping it down has always appealed to me, although I haven't worked my way up to tuna smoothies yet. I pretty much had the sense to avoid the pre-flavored packets of oatmeal, but your comments on which of the un-flavoreds to choose was something that hadn't occured to me.

When in doubt, opt for the less processed food sounds like a good rule of thumb, and I can live with a slightly chunky shake.

WannaGro

Board Supporter
Awards
I use the quaker oats too, I use a small $10 high speed food processor and it turns the oats into a nice powder, I add 1 cup of the oats to all my shakes. Oh and yeah the flour thing is horrible, I tried it and you get a nice thick, disgusting paste. The real oats and some form of grinder is definitely the best route to go here.