Not really politics, but Evolution... (cont. a thread)

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Oddly enough it seems to function intelligently, so it can also lend credence to the ID theory.
While I'm not sure about that statement it does illustrate one of the key points about evolution claims that gets on my nerves. Evidence consistent with a theory doesn't prove a theory. For example, suppose an asteroid with some weird radiation is orbiting the sun. It comes around here at regular intervals, causes a mass extinction of most like, and radiation mutates DNA and gives rise to a boatload of mutants, many of which shortlived but some of which survive over time and adapt.

A 'theory' like that, or slightly modified, could be just as consistent with the evidence presented in favor of evolution, and it could conceivably make macro evolution unecessary, or make it clear that it's dependent on an outside influence and doesn't arise from the mere nature of life.

I just don't know what's wrong with saying there's a great empirical case for macro evolution and that research is proceeding apace to discover how it happens. Or in more layman terms saying based on the evidence we're very certain some process of evolution takes place, and right now the details are being discovered and worked out.

That would seem to be a hell of a lot more honest and accurate than stating evolution is proven as close to 100% as anything can be. Then when pressed you uncover the fact that no one knows how it happens. Proven, but no idea how it works... Sounds so solid. And I've yet to see any possible way to falsify the theory presented.

People have become way too invested with this issue to make an objective look at it possible. Creationists think everyone who believes evolution also believes in a Godless, mechanistic and reducable world. Darwinists attack anyone who expresses doubt about their pet theory as a religious lunatic intent on keeping the world in the dark ages.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
People have become way too invested with this issue to make an objective look at it possible. Creationists think everyone who believes evolution also believes in a Godless, mechanistic and reducable world. Darwinists attack anyone who expresses doubt about their pet theory as a religious lunatic intent on keeping the world in the dark ages.[/quote]

Well, Thems the choices right?, gotta pick one right? It is a two sided argument right? I can't remember a third view point. The darwinist have a theory. The theory does not claim to know the begining of life. or the end of life. the evolutionary theory just shows a logical progression from point "A" in the past to point "B" in the present. The creationist claim both a knowledge of the beginning of life and also lay claim to the end( heaven or hell ). While claiming that all in between is just a test. This seems a little presumptuous to me.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Well, Thems the choices right?, gotta pick one right? It is a two sided argument right?
No. It's been framed as such, but it isn't. For one, a belief in God doesn't preclude accepting evolution. To say otherwise is to deny God the power to design evolution. Likewise, accepting evolution doesn't necessarily mean someone has to accept a reductionist view of the universe. But, because the debate has been framed as being the rational against the lunatic, or the devout against the heathen depending on the fanatic you talk to, those are often the only two choices that are seen or presented.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
The problem of DNA will never be overcome by evolutionists.

http://www.evolution-facts.org/Ev-V2/2evlch10a.htm

Moreover, not one reasonable assertion has been proffered to explain the origins of life from non-life. The very first step in the theory of evolution is a leap of faith.
Bud, don't tell me you're going to take anything that guy says seriously. Did you read his "summary" of evolution?

"
All the complicated DNA in each life form, and all the DNA in every other life form—all made itself out of nothing way back in the beginning! There was some gravel around, along with some dirt. Nearby was some water, and overhead a lightning storm. The lightning hit the dirt and made living creatures complete with DNA. They not only had their complete genetic code, but they were also immediately able to eat, digest food, move about, perform enzymatic and glandular functions, and all the rest.
Instantly, they automatically knew how to produce additional cells, and their DNA began dividing (cells must continually replenish themselves or the creature quickly dies), their cells began making new ones, and every new cell could immediately do the myriad of functions that cells can and must do (see the chapter The Cell for a glimpse into those many functions).
That same stroke of lightning made both a male and a female pair, and their complete digestive, respiratory, and circulatory organs. It provided them with complete ability to produce offspring and they in turn more offspring. That same stroke of lightning also made their food, with all its own DNA, male and female pairs, etc., etc."

Absolutely laughable and obviously designed to sway the uninformed reader away from believing that evolution takes place.

There was no lightning, nothing was instant, lol.

That description sounds as ridiculous as the Adam and Eve theory.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
incomming!... fire in the hole( in your head )!

Bud, don't tell me you're going to take anything that guy says seriously. Did you read his "summary" of evolution?

Absolutely laughable and obviously designed to sway the uninformed reader away from believing that evolution takes place.

That description sounds as ridiculous as the Adam and Eve theory.
Look out its a smart bomb!!! Obfusification of the facts is one of the favored strategies of the anti-evolutionists. The art of confusing your opponent with more facts. The facts are deliberately vague with multiple ending scenarios. Kind of like a maze for your mind, It is a trap for you free will. confuse and conquer! Yikes, I just scared myseilf.( hahaha)

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
You sure lightning doesn't play a part in your theory?

And you're evading anyway.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Evading what?

There was no good rebuttal to evolution in the entire article.

Proteins developed on top of the sea. During that time the atmosphere was 20% CO2, therefore much heavier, and the ocean was 300degrees centigrade. This is where the random mixing of molecules took place for billion of years before there was any sort of abundance of important molecules, like proteins, etc.

Nothing about lightning and during that time, there wasn't land anyway. So, the author is either a liar or uneducated.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I do remember hearing of an experiment a long time ago where a couple scientists blasted an imitation of primordial soup with an electric charge. Supposedly little spheres of protein formed and, even though they weren't cells, started dividing into smaller versions of themselves. Don't quote me on that, it was a long time ago I heard that claim.

And however ridiculous the author's explanation, once again the point comes up that it may just be impossible for something as complex and varied as current life on this planet to merely be the product of random mutation and chance. Saying it happened therefore it must be possible assumes the answer and begs the question. Once again, the lack of a mechanism is apparent. And that missing piece, at least in my personal opinion, puts evolution significantly further from the 99.999999...% certainty you claim.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
The lightning comes in when scientists attempt to conjure the initial energy that started the spark of life. You should go back and give your theory another look because you're missing some fundamental information.

And I said you're evading because you're evading every other point I've made this entire thread, along with the remaining bulk of that one article.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
When I was referencing the lightning it was in regards to this:
There was some gravel around, along with some dirt. Nearby was some water, and overhead a lightning storm. The lightning hit the dirt and made living creatures complete with DNA. They not only had their complete genetic code, but they were also immediately able to eat, digest food, move about, perform enzymatic and glandular functions, and all the rest.
Instantly, they automatically knew how to produce additional cells, and their DNA began dividing (cells must continually replenish themselves or the creature quickly dies), their cells began making new ones, and every new cell could immediately do the myriad of functions that cells can and must do (see the chapter The Cell for a glimpse into those many functions).

There was no lightning instantly creating what the author describes.

The process was long and drawn out, nothing was instant.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Hey kwyck, off topic but I am cutting now. Can you take the burger off the avatar, LOL. :)

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I'm not bulking, I just like the pic :) hahaha Its so classic

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
When I was referencing the lightning it was in regards to this:

There was no lightning instantly creating what the author describes.

The process was long and drawn out, nothing was instant.
That's what I mean by evading. You're skirting the crux of this debate by displaying your disapproval of his humorous definition of your theory rather than addressing the numerous problems he pinpoints. In a sense, you're argumentum ad hominem.

Moreover, many crucial points in the process of evolution indeed must have occurred instantly. Irreducible Complexity addresses many of these fatal flaws.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
:rofl:

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
That's what I mean by evading. You're skirting the crux of this debate by displaying your disapproval of his humorous definition of your theory rather than addressing the numerous problems he pinpoints. In a sense, you're argumentum ad hominem.

Moreover, many crucial points in the process of evolution indeed must have occurred instantly. Irreducible Complexity addresses many of these fatal flaws.
Dude, I'm not even sure what freggin' point you're trying to make. And irreducible complexity has a lot more to do with the formation of a first cell that it does with evolution.

Argumentum ad hominem, eh? No, that would be saying something like english classes aren't a good replacement for biology classes when you get into a debate regarding biology and evolution. I doubt you even knew what irreducible complexity, as an anti-spontaneous life theory, was before a few google searches ago.

You posted a link saying that evolutionists have a problem trying to prove evolution because of DNA and you take the information from a creationist website that has obviously misleading material on it.

I'm not evading anything because you're not making a point regarding evolution.

And, I've addressed this "leap of faith" required for buying into the beginnings of life, but the thing is, there is a 99.9..9% chance that evolution is taking place in the sense that we were randomly birthed and that we've evolved from simple bacteria, so I'll take the 0.0...1% leap of faith. But again, not a whole lot to do with evolution.

I've also said that its entirely possible that there is some sort of creator out there and that I personally do believe there is something out there, but he sure as hell didn't make the earth in 7 days nor did he put adam and eve here.

Go back and read my posts, I made an educational thread but the refusal to accept what all science indicates is the truth of our origins as far as 4billion years back isn't worth arguing over. Pretty much back to the first chemotrophic organism we can generate a consistent line of evolution...a 4 billion year line of evolution!

If you want to read about all plausible theories of the origins of the first cell and of life, knock yourself out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_life

But, that's not what the thread was about.

This thread is a thread of evolution, not abiogenesis. So, nothing is being evaded, you're running off the topic trying to invalidate evolution because of something that is really unrelated to it. The first cell isn't what we're talking about here and it wasn't the point of the thread is and the fact that we don't know how the first cells came to be, doesn't invalidate the fact that we've got a darn good idea of how we evolved from them and from our more recent ancestors.

The point of the thread is that we've got a common ancestor with all life. And yes, we really are primates...sorry bud. :D

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I personally have not seen a single thread of evidence in any of these posts that support macro evolution let alone anything that would be considered 99.9% proof. All I have heard is circular reasoning begging the question. "We evolved so it must have happened and since we evolved we will interpret all data that is collected based upon that fact".

Don't get me wrong, I am guilty of some of the same. I believe the guy who showed dominion over life and death by raising himself from the dead, witnessed by men who died for their beliefs and as posted earlier, very unlikely (or 99.9% proven) that a man would willingly die a terrible death for something he knew to be false let alone hundreds. He (Christ) believed in the literal interpretation of the scriptures. He believed in Adam & Eve and a 7 day creation. This belief does give me a bias and I can't help but following a certain path of reasoning while examining the facts.

An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin, literally "argument to the man") or attacking the messenger, is a logical fallacy that involves replying to an argument or assertion by attacking the person presenting the argument or assertion rather than the argument itself.

I think kwyck was thinkin of:

Non sequitur is Latin for "it does not follow." In formal logic, an argument is a non sequitur if the conclusion does not follow from the premise. It should be stressed that in a non sequitur, the conclusion can be either true or false, but the argument is a fallacy because the conclusion does not follow from the premise. All logical fallacies are actually just specific types of non sequiturs. The term has special applicability in law, having a formal legal definition.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin, literally "argument to the man") or attacking the messenger, is a logical fallacy that involves replying to an argument or assertion by attacking the person presenting the argument or assertion rather than the argument itself.

I think kwyck was thinkin of:

Non sequitur is Latin for "it does not follow." In formal logic, an argument is a non sequitur if the conclusion does not follow from the premise. It should be stressed that in a non sequitur, the conclusion can be either true or false, but the argument is a fallacy because the conclusion does not follow from the premise. All logical fallacies are actually just specific types of non sequiturs. The term has special applicability in law, having a formal legal definition.[/quote]

Gosh, If you take away these to tactics, not ony would we have no thread. We would have no bulliten board blogs...Image if there was a filter that eliminated non sequiturs and "ad Homs" The internet would be filled with boring facts about only the things that we all could agree that are proven by a widely acceptable criteria. I prefer illogical arguments for their entertainment value.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Pretty much back to the first chemotrophic organism we can generate a consistent line of evolution...a 4 billion year line of evolution!
Could you point me to a good site or referrence with a decent write up of how this trace was done? I'm assuming we don't have DNA from 4 billion year old bacteria. All evidence I've seen is a fossil record which, while incomplete, suggest animals evolved over time, and phylogeny trees that are more guesswork than science. Once more, there's a good emperical case but until the mechanism(s) of evolution are found, and until someone explains how seriously complex organs evolve, as I said I think you're further from the 99.999% mark than you'd like to admit.

No one in this thread has addressed the evolution of the eye. I've seen and read repeated claims that there's plenty of evidence for how the eye evolved, but haven't actually seen any presented as to how the ability to tell light from dark with a few specialized cells evolves to a modern human eye. Yes, the existence of varying forms of the eye in various species suggests it did evolve, but that's not evidence for evolution, it's merely observation consistent with it. That's the circular reasoning BP is talking about. The mechanism is what would serve as proof. It might even provide falsifiable predictions which could be investigated. And that would be the difference between evidence consistent with evolution and evidence that proves evolution.

Someone has to explain how the various parts of at least one version of the modern eye evolved and then were incorporated into the larger organ that become the modern eye. Someone has to explain how a lens develops minus a retina to focus on. Say the retina or something similar developed first, probably more likey. How did the lens then develop, and the eyeball to keep it the proper distance from the lens? How did the muscles surrounding the lens develop to focus it? How about the cones and rods as was pointed out before? Mutation and natural selection isn't enough. The more complex organisms get the more likely it would seem any mutation would be either negligible or detrimental. I forgot who said it in a prior post, but a basic version of every single part of the modern eye would have had to come into existence through random mutation and be useful in some way minus the whole so it would be incorporated into the more primitive whole and kept through the process of natural selection until it could join with the other parts, also products of mutation, and eventually become the modern eye. That's a tall order, and not something that can be proven to 99.999% certainty by looking at old bones or bacteria in a petri dish. And, since so many species have some version of the modern eye it's obviously a development that happened a long, long time ago. Primitive versions of the eye are found in cambrian fossils. That's going from a few cells to a complex organ in a relatively short time span it seems.

It would be nice instead of reading there's plenty of evidence for this type of evolution to see, perhaps, at least a proposed line of evolution that gives some plausible order for the development of the various parts of the eye and how, when and why they were incorprated. As of right now I'm the most irreligious person you'll every meet, despite what a nice set of tits might make me say occasionally, and I'm not convinced that random mutations and natural selection can take a single cell organism to a human being at the bus stop, no matter how long those processes have been in play.

The point of the thread is that we've got a common ancestor with all life. And yes, we really are primates...sorry bud. :D
Something I personally don't doubt in a general sense, but until the specifics are more ironed out I'm not buying the 99.999% certainty line. The support of science doesn't mean anything in the end. Most scientists are convinced one cycle of steroids will melt your liver. Doctors used to do cigarette commercials. I don't think science is as solid as most people suggest because the people needed to carry out the process of inquiry are very fallible.

Before I buy the 99.999% certaintly line I want to know how macro evolution occurs. I want to know how speciation occurs. I want to see evidence as to how random mutation leads to complex organs that have parts that seem fairly useless if the system isn't in place as a whole to make use of them. I want to see one example of a beneficial mutation in a complex orangism. Not examples of detrimental mutations, not examples of swapped proteins in DNA that lead to no change whatsoever. Some guesses in a book as to how this all hapens that are mathematically workable do not constitute proof.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gosh, If you take away these to tactics, not ony would we have no thread. We would have no bulliten board blogs...Image if there was a filter that eliminated non sequiturs and "ad Homs" The internet would be filled with boring facts about only the things that we all could agree that are proven by a widely acceptable criteria. I prefer illogical arguments for their entertainment value.
Excellent point.

In the cyber environment much expression is lost in the text. Differing ideas or contradictions are often received as attacks or insults. In areas that require faith (faith in faith, faith in science) there can be a great divide between people of opposite or conflicting convictions.

There has been some very very intelligent discussion here. Doing the right thing does not require being right. Be tolerant and kind to one another. I believe that is the right thing to do.

Just my $0.02 and an attempt at earning my Moderator daily wages. :)

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Kwyck:
My point, in a round about way, is,
The theory of evolution is in no way a proven fact and here are a bunch of reasons why. You may not agree with everything on the site I posted, but at least directly address the points he makes rather than arguing against him. He may have some information wrong in your eyes, but that doesn't preclude his making decent arguments against the various claims of evolutionary theory.

And you saying we don't need to consider abiogenesis to prove evolution is akin to saying we don't need to consider how to build a car to have one.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
And you saying we don't need to consider abiogenesis to prove evolution is akin to saying we don't need to consider how to build a car to have one
That's something I always found interesting too. You would think a complete theory of evolution would include the evolution of nonliving matter into living matter, but apparently not. That would seem to me to be a critical step and one that would likely give some serious clues as to how the rest of the process works on all levels as well. I understand the point that evolution deals with preexisting living systems, but those systems weren't always there and an explanation of how they came into being would seem to be necessary.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Check out the book forbidden archeology by Michael Cremo.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Check out the book forbidden archeology by Michael Cremo.
I spotted that in a used book store once. Seemed kind of sensational in some of the claims. I wouldn't mind reading it, but I'd do it in the same way I read Robert E. Howards History of the Hyborean Age. I do think it's entirely possible human civilization, on the level of ancient Egypt before the pharos for example, might go back further than currently thought, but not a few million years back. Still, it's a pleasant 'what if' scenario and would likely make some fun reading.

There's a lot of evidence against it though, like the lack of ruins and, more especially, the speed with which human civilization developed after agriculture was established. It's unlikely such a civilization with agriculture and domesticated animals, if it were widespread enough, would simply disappear without a trace and we'd have to start over again. Even if it did, civilizations tend to build on top of each other, and for good reason. They pick good spots to begin with. So the lack of major finds and ruins is a serious problem.

Who knows, maybe one day we will find out mankind has been walking the Earth a lot longer than we suspected. It would certainly be a very, very cool thing to know. All the civilzations in prehistory we could learn about, etc. It'd be a new scientific revolution.

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
CDB is right. Just because math may fall in line with a Theory, it does not mean the theory is free from small or catastrophic error.
Even math fails. I have heard a story problem (ill post it when i find it) where math fails. It is weird as hell. At the end of the story problem a dollar is unaccouted for. And it is Not a trick.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
It is a trick. Math is infallible.

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
I heard it like a year ago. I cant remeber how it goes but I looked at it for an hour trying to find its flaw and i couldn't.....have you heard this problem before?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Yes, and although I cannot recall exactly what it was I was shown how it was an error in calculation, flawed method if you will.

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
Yes, and although I cannot recall exactly what it was I was shown how it was an error in calculation, flawed method if you will.
hmmm. ill take you word for it. but the other half of my post is still true.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
That's something I always found interesting too. You would think a complete theory of evolution would include the evolution of nonliving matter into living matter, but apparently not. That would seem to me to be a critical step and one that would likely give some serious clues as to how the rest of the process works on all levels as well. I understand the point that evolution deals with preexisting living systems, but those systems weren't always there and an explanation of how they came into being would seem to be necessary.
It is necessary to prove that we originated from non-living matter, but it has nothing to do with the fact that we've evolved from single celled organisms, very far off from the contrary view of "Adam and Eve".

And, there are quite a few theories that really have a great network of information working in their favor. The Bubble Theory is working really well, especially because oil based bubble can spontaneously form lipid bilayers.

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
It is necessary to prove that we originated from non-living matter, but it has nothing to do with the fact that we've evolved from single celled organisms, very far off from the contrary view of "Adam and Eve".

And, there are quite a few theories that really have a great network of information working in their favor. The Bubble Theory is working really well, especially because oil based bubble can spontaneously form lipid bilayers.
no offense,,, but you just side stepped again.
(how is it a "fact"?)

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
It is necessary to prove that we originated from non-living matter, but it has nothing to do with the assertion that we've evolved from single celled organisms, very far off from the contrary view of "Adam and Eve".

^ Happy? Changed my choice of words. Evolution of all animals from a single celled organims is still theory, that's correct, but there is almost no "real" contrary evidence, aside from religious and mystical (one in the same?) beliefs.

Now, wtf did I side-step? I dunno wtf you're trying to get it. I said the the birth of a living thing from a non-living thing has NOTHING to do with the evolution of living things after that point. How is that side-stepping anything?

Refer to post #1 and read it a few times.

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
Changed my choice of words. Evolution of all animals from a single celled organims is still theory, that's correct, but there is almost no "real" contrary evidence, aside from religious and mystical (one in the same?) beliefs.
Speaking for myself I would say yes they are one in the same. You say that like it's a bad thing.

You can discount religion as not being "real" but in a situation like this I dont feel it is appropriate to voice that opinion. Me, and many other members believe beyond doubt that is is "real".
(I just want all of us to refrain from bashing others beliefs. You keep slipping in words that are intended to make us sound like fools.)
You can not build a house by tearing your neighbors down. Lets just address evolution.....

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
Now, wtf did I side-step? I dunno wtf you're trying to get it. I said the the birth of a living thing from a non-living thing has NOTHING to do with the evolution of living things after that point. How is that side-stepping anything?
Well you either have to believe in God or you dont. If you are a independent then you can have your own opinion on things.....but if not then most religions say that their God created man (not a cell that would become a man). Thats "wtf im trying to get at". :D

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Okie dokie :) Well, in your case (a traditional believer) can you not believe in God and evolution? IMO you can be a christian and believe in evolution...Even the freggin' pope said to start taking in what science has to offer, lol.

I'm not "trying" to make anyone sound stupid. Sorry if it comes off that way, could just be my smartass nature....:lol:

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
Okie dokie :) Well, in your case (a traditional believer) can you not believe in God and evolution? IMO you can be a christian and believe in evolution...Even the freggin' pope said to start taking in what science has to offer, lol.

I'm not "trying" to make anyone sound stupid. Sorry if it comes off that way, could just be my smartass nature....:lol:
got ya. For me it is one or the other.
And the pope does not speak for me and should not be deemed as a spokesperson for Christianity.
And I would not like to be classified as a "traditional believer"....as you saw in the bible study thread, my beliefs squew far from "traditional" Christianity.

now ill step out of the way here

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Well, traditional to your religion (I come from an LDS family, bud ;)).

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
Well, traditional to your religion (I come from an LDS family, bud ;)).
even still. I would not like to be classified with the members. just the churches original doctorine (i feel the church has strayed (and that it will come back))-just my belief

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established

Refer to post #1 and read it a few times.
I don't know about side stepping, but here's the way I see it:

1) Observed evidence suggests some form of evolution took place. The empirical case is very strong. I don't doubt that at all.

2) I find it weird someone can claim 99.999% certainty for a theory whose main mechanism(s) of action are apparently unknown, when a lot of the evidence that supposedly proves the theory is merely consistent with it.

3) A theory's certainty is directly related to its testability and its ability to be falsified, and not directly related to the lack of alternative plausible theories. The latter standard denies the fact that it's possible there are alternatives that are also consistent with known evidence that we don't know and/or haven't been considered. Claiming that level of certainty on the latter standard seems to be at odds with the idea of science as inquiry and more in line with science as orthodox fundamentalism.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I didn't make those claims myself, these are leading researchers claims.

Man, I wish you guys would just read the first post INCLUDING the citations (a couple of the citations are standard school books!).

There is nothing wrong with what u said CDB, but I'm not pulling these numbers out of my ass.

And, unless any of you are experts in the field, I find it hard to argue against the issue otherwise and state that their claims are ridiculous.

Again, the entire first post is full of citations to major publications and studies. Please pay attention to that.

I'm simply parroting all major research in evolution. And no, I won't take anything seriously that was written by a person with a pre-existing bias against evolution. If you're against it and just looking for bad info on it, that's not a very honest way to make a case.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I didn't make those claims myself, these are leading researchers claims.

Man, I wish you guys would just read the first post INCLUDING the citations (a couple of the citations are standard school books!).
The same standard school books that show guesswork phylogeny trees with little to no evidence to back them up? But, to quote you directly from the first post:

Evolution HAS been proven. The Theory of Evolution has not yet been proven in regards to the mechanism responsible for our earthly beginnings.

The Theory of Evolution states that we basically evolved from simple proteins into prokaryotic bacteria, into eukaryotic bacteria, etc, into all the different kingdom's of life that exist today.
Macro evolution and evolution in general, as most people consider it, is not proven if the mechanism is unkown. An analogy: you see an engine running and feel it and know it's hot. You know it powers a car. ANY theory as to how the engine works that fits those observations is proven, at least according to the standards you apply to evolutionary theory. You could theorize a steam boiler in a gas engine and, so long as the ability to test the theory was outside of possibility, by this standard the theory is proven. Proven and wrong at the same time. That's difference between evidence that's consistent with a theory and evidence that proves a theory. If you could test what was coming out of the tailpipe of this imaginary engine, you'd have a better idea of how it works. A similar test has yet to arise for macro evolution.

Certain mutations happen over time, that's easy to see even in humans. Founder diseases are good example. These are genetic disorders that, when you have two copies of the gene can **** you up, but when you only have one can give you an advantage. They show up as a mutation in a consistent spot on a string of genetic material called a haplotype that's shared in shortening lengths over time by all descendants of the first person who had that mutation. Sickle cell anemia is one example. It originated in area where malaria was rampant, and having one copy of the founder gene for SCA can help you survive malaria. Two copies and you are screwed. But, it's a long, long throw from something like that and saying an eye or a pancreas or a stomach or a liver or a brain or any other complex organ can develop along similar lines. Or even that a single cell life form can develop into a multi cellular life form. Is it possible? I'd say it's more than possible, it's likely. But likely and 99.999% aren't the same thing.

As far as adaptation yes, you're right. It's observable, testable, etc. It's not hard to figure out. Founder diseases might fall into this category. I don't think anyone is arguing against the ability to adapt. There are some, I think Dawkins was one, among the Darwinist crowd who think natural selection is all you need to go from a single cell organism to a complex one like ours. Maybe that's an uneducated interpretation of Dawkins' work I've heard, who knows.

But the bottom line is no matter what the scientific community says 99.999% certainty isn't applicable here. You can't be 99.999% certain about something if you don't know how it works. The scientific community was 99.999% certain of a lot of things considered quaint and archaic at this point in time. There's nothing magical about our day and age that makes us so much more closer to the truth of things, and you can bet in a few hundred years people will look back on the versions of the various theories that were being considered today and consider many of them ridiculous.

Some form of evolution occurs, of that I have no doubt. But until the specifics are available anyone who claims 99.999% certainty is putting the science aside and speaking from a position of defensiveness against those who simply don't believe them for whatever reason.

Think about this question: why is it impossible to test the macro theory? Is there any particular reason why single cell lifeforms would stop evolving into multicellular, complex life forms? Why are there no very simple organisms alive today that we can trace to known single cell ancestor that's not precambrian? Assumedly evolution is a continuing process, so there should be such examples. Or, for some reason evolution of single celled life to more complex life stopped for some reason. Anyone know why?

Maybe those questions have answers, maybe they don't. As long as so many questions remain unanswered 99.999% certainty doesn't exist. And people who express 100% belief in evolution are in effect no different than someone ho expresses 100% belief in God. After all, the latter type of believer sees plenty of untestable 'evidence' that's consistent with the existence of their deity, don't they?

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
And no, I won't take anything seriously that was written by a person with a pre-existing bias against evolution. If you're against it and just looking for bad info on it, that's not a very honest way to make a case.
Well, that's a pretty good way to get nowhere. That sounds like the cry of a religious zealot. A person's negative feelings toward evolution don't preclude their making valid arguments against it.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established

I would not have problems believing in evolution if it would be proved 99.99...9% like you say in every single post, but it's waaaaaa...aaay less than that. And as of today Bible makes more sence to me, than your "theories"

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Scientifically and from a biological standpoint its obvious we evolved from a lesser bi-pedal species and that, that species evolved from an aquatic animal. This was all part of God's spectacular plan. We are still evolving, consider the higher incidence of ADD and ADHD diagnosis. Eventually we (as a species) will inhabit space and other planets evolving even more as we breed and adapt to other environs, such as zero gravity. Perhaps all these hormonal type supps that are being discovered, researched and marketed will lead to a product that attenuates the muscular effect of prolonged exposure to zero gravity, disease, and aging, the legendary soma. A true fountain of youth, eternal life!

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
Scientifically and from a biological standpoint its obvious we evolved from a lesser bi-pedal species and that, that species evolved from an aquatic animal. This was all part of God's spectacular plan. We are still evolving, consider the higher incidence of ADD and ADHD diagnosis. Eventually we (as a species) will inhabit space and other planets evolving even more as we breed and adapt to other environs, such as zero gravity. Perhaps all these hormonal type supps that are being discovered, researched and marketed will lead to a product that attenuates the muscular effect of prolonged exposure to zero gravity, disease, and aging, the legendary soma. A true fountain of youth, eternal life!
If we are going to talk in terms of ID then I doubt (completely) that God would want us to live forever yet still be in a mortal state. I know I would not like to live on earth/be mortal forever. I love my life but if we knew how wonderful heaven was we'd be thinking "get me out of here!"

and to respond to the beginning of you post. It may seem "obvious" to you but dont profess it as fact. I want whole truths not "probable" ones.

How can you guys say that evolution is 99% proven? You can't even explain how non living matter turned into living. I would say that part is a hundred percent of the story; and then how we evolved would just be a side note in comparison.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately it appears to be a matter of conjecture, we can only attribute the unexplainable to the absolute existance of a supreme creator. Peace