not gaining

SHSUStudent

Awards
i dont workout, i only lift weights which i think you are talking about cardio when you say that?
but skateboarding all day can be considered cardio i guess.
i NEVER eat mcdonalds ahh the worst food i will have is pizza or steak n shake but ill either feel bad afterwards or skateboard ha.

I'm talking about lifting, not cardio.

What does your lifting routine look like.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
monday- 4 working sets of squats (the bar) 3 sets iuncline leg press 3 sets standing leg curls
3 sets seated leg curls
calves soemtime but it pisses me off mostly because my feet slip and we dont even have standing calf raises machine.

wednesday- 3 sets standing EZ bar curls supersetted with 3 sets skull crushers
3 sets standing supinating DB curls (both curled at same time)
3 sets cable rope pushdowns
CORE:
3 sets crunches
3 sets leg thingys (lie on floor or bench, hands under butt, raises legs until perpendic to floor, lower)
3 sets side planks supresetted with the other side
3 sets planks

friday 4 working sets deads (THEY HURT ERGGHHHH DAMNIT)
4 sets bent over bb rows
3 sets DB shrugs
CORE:
3 sets crunches
3 sets leg thingys (lie on floor or bench, hands under butt, raises legs until perpendic to floor, lower)
3 sets planks

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
once my rotator cuff heals (which will prolly be a long ass time) this will be my routine:

Monday:
Squats 2 x 5
Box squats 2 x 5
Leg presses 1 x 20 (pick 1 of the squats + the leg presses)
pull thrus 2 x 20reps video - http://www.midwestbarbell.com/videos/backpullthrough.wmv
good mornings 2 x 8reps
heavy abs 2 x 20
good girl machine 1 x 25 reps
bad girl machine 1 x 25 reps
Calves (your choice of exercise if you like) 2 x 10

Tuesday:
Wide grip flat bench 2 x 6 (index fingers on the rings)
hammer grip dbs 2 x 8-12 reps video - http://www.teamsniffy.com/videos/videos/band db presses.wmv
tricep push downs 1-2 x 8-100reps. (yup 100)
db side laterals 1-2 x 10reps light
db front raises 1-2 x 10reps light
pull-a-parts or rear delt machine 1-2 x 20reps

Thursday:
Dead lifts (rotate variations each week, week one from the floor next week in a rack with bar below knee level) 2 x 5
45 hypers 2 x 20reps
glut ham raise if you have one at your gym 2x5 video = http://www.midwestbarbell.com/videos/ghrcompare.mpg
heavy abs 2 x 20reps
rows 2 x 4-8reps
Reverse grip narrow grip pull downs 2 x 4-8reps
Standing wide grip curls 2 x 8-12 reps (or your favorite curl here)
hammer curls or reverse curls 2 x 8-12reps

SHSUStudent

Awards
In no way am I trying to be rude, but you have to overhaul that routine majorly to pack on any muscle IMO. It's no wonder that you didn't/aren't gaining with your current lifting schedule.

I'm sure the other guys will have better advice than me on what you should do. But at 15 I was doing a 3 day split and it worked wonders.

Something like:

Day A:

Bench (dumbell or barbell or EVEN a machine, w/e feels best for the shoulder) 3x8-10
Lat Pulls/Pull ups 3x8-10
Military/Shoulder Press (if you can't b/c of shoulder, so some dumbell lateral raises, etc) 3x8-10
Something for Bi's 2x8-10
Something for Tri's (maybe dips/skullcrushers/etc) 2x8-10

Day B:

Squats 3x8-10
Something for Hammstring 3x8-10
Calve raises 3x8-10
Abs - whatever you like

Day C - Either Start Over or take the day off then start over. You should probably take this day off.

IMO at 15 you have such short recovery time that you need to hit each muscle group 2-3 times a week. I gained 30lbs from 16-17 with that basic routine. Just eat alot.

Once you develop a good base of muscle to build off of you can tailor the routine to focus more heavily on one muscle group at a time. I think the routine I listed above would be great for the next 2-4 months, if not longer (until the gains start to taper off or you get really bored with it).

For now keep it simple, work out heavy, work out often, and eat a ton. You will grow. Creatine was GREAT for me at your age. Went from 150 to around 185 in about a year, and kept the sixer. Take advantage of the amazing recovery time that your 15 year old body will give you.

Oh yeh... and get at LEAST 8 hours of sleep a night.

And lay off the beer :nutkick:

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yea but i have rotator cuff problems thats why my routine sucks.
and your talking about my first routine sucking right?

thank you

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
which leads me to my next issue (sorry if i seem *****y)
seriously, i physically cannot eat ANY chicken, beans, and some other foods (which i cant remember right now).
anyways, when i was on this diet, i was choking them down with water (puking an average of every other day )
so that is oart of the reason why i asked if i could eat what i think is enough because choking down 90 percent of my meals is ridiculous im not doing that and it takes like 3 glasses of water per meal so im BLOATEDDDDD.
any suggestions to this problem? i think its important because you guys seem to stress diet alot (in a good way)

thank you!!!!

PS this week and last i have just been eating whatever is good like quiznos subs, pizza, egg/protein shakes, etc because i got sick of chocking crap down)

dirtysouthmuscl

Banned
Awards
  • Established
In order to get big if thats what you want. Get some fat on . I read you diet and its really clean. Dont get me wrong thats great, but it takes so much longer to put on size and do it lean. Cycle eating S**** and gain weight for about 2mths then lean up and see where you stand. Play with your body shock it. Reboot it.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i meant get big as in muscle not fat i would hate be have extra body fat and be small at the same time, my friend is like that and it looks horrbile

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Lift hard bro. And rest.
You'll put on muscle with the fat.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
so is it alright for me to eat stuff like quiznos subs, subway, baked lays, wheat thins, southwestern egg rolls from chilis, chicken crispers from chilis, and an occasion slice or two of pizza?
or should i wait until my rotator cuff heals until i eat crappy?

thank you!

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
the fat gain should be limited. durin ga bulk, i honestly don't think you should gain more than 2" on the waist or go any higher than 12%. JMO. I got fat bulking and its not worth it, lol.

dirtysouthmuscl

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dude if you see any BB offseason youll see its not what you see in the mag. This is what you do set a goal date like Spring Break!!! Then 5mths out you pig out for 2mths workout like a freak!!!! then start to diet down and go to SB with 10 pounds more of muscle. Or you can do the opp, and end up on this board next summer still asking why cant you gain weight. And I never seen any bigger guy in the gym getting punked by some 145pound lean guy pushin 135 on the bench. At some point you must ask yourself HOW BAD DO I WANT IT!!!!

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dude if you see any BB offseason youll see its not what you see in the mag. This is what you do set a goal date like Spring Break!!! Then 5mths out you pig out for 2mths workout like a freak!!!! then start to diet down and go to SB with 10 pounds more of muscle. Or you can do the opp, and end up on this board next summer still asking why cant you gain weight. And I never seen any bigger guy in the gym getting punked by some 145pound lean guy pushin 135 on the bench. At some point you must ask yourself HOW BAD DO I WANT IT!!!!
lol good points and 135 on bench is good.

so is that a yes to this question?
so is it alright for me to eat stuff like quiznos subs, subway, baked lays, wheat thins, southwestern egg rolls from chilis, chicken crispers from chilis, and an occasion slice or two of pizza?

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
It's up to you on how much fat you want to gain. But the idea is to gain, then cut.

I'd wait until I started eating really badly. If you are impaired in the things you can do at the gym - wait.

SHSUStudent

Awards
I still think you need to do something different for your workout man...

Have you guys seen his routine? I don't think he's lifting enough to gain the mass he seeks. Keep in mind... he's FIFTEEN and he's still in his beginner gains stage. I think he needs to hit each muscle group at LEAST twice a week. Just my honest opinion.

There has to be something you can do, even with the injury, to improve your routine. Diet is a huge part of getting big, but you have to give your body the right stimulus to grow.

SHSUStudent

Awards
lol good points and 135 on bench is good.

so is that a yes to this question?

In short... YES.

But you have to be lifting hard enough to insure your body is using all these calories in the right ways.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I still think you need to do something different for your workout man...

Have you guys seen his routine? I don't think he's lifting enough to gain the mass he seeks. Keep in mind... he's FIFTEEN and he's still in his beginner gains stage. I think he needs to hit each muscle group at LEAST twice a week. Just my honest opinion.

There has to be something you can do, even with the injury, to improve your routine. Diet is a huge part of getting big, but you have to give your body the right stimulus to grow.
name whats wrong with my routine now?

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
12% isn't "that lean", and I do see those BBers. i also know nat'llevel bbers personally.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO GET FAT TO GAIN SIZE.

I overbulked forever. I got on a good diet, thx to FLA nutrition, and was gaining size at my fastest rate ever and losing fat!

The more fat u gain, the more muscle you'll probably gain, but the more you'll lose when u cut. The net result of eating decent and bulking then cutting and eating like a pig and bulking then cutting is damn near the same according to most people i know who are competitive bbers.

some people don't mind looking like **** and bulking, others like to look decent year round.

take your pic.

i'll tell you one thing. cutting is a ***** for me, but its easy "not to gain fat" while bulking and still satisfy my cravings now. had i not overbulked i could stay relatively lean and still keep myself happy eating a few junk meals here and there. but, because i overbulked, my "staying the same" is keeping a 36" waist, whch i need to get rid of--but then i'd have to sacrifice my routine in=n-out stops :lol: decisions decisions...

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
so you mean reach faillure and dont half ass right lol?
Not necessarily...some people can train to failure all the time, some people can't. some people get their best gains stopping a rep shy.

I believe derek_aka_beast is one of those who routinely stops shy of failure and loves it.

beating yourself into the ground is a myth. work smarter not harder.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
alright so i cant eat stuff like quiznos subs, subway, baked lays, wheat thins, southwestern egg rolls from chilis, chicken crispers from chilis, and an occasion slice or two of pizza?

lol

SHSUStudent

Awards
monday- 4 working sets of squats (the bar) 3 sets iuncline leg press 3 sets standing leg curls
3 sets seated leg curls
calves soemtime but it pisses me off mostly because my feet slip and we dont even have standing calf raises machine.

wednesday- 3 sets standing EZ bar curls supersetted with 3 sets skull crushers
3 sets standing supinating DB curls (both curled at same time)
3 sets cable rope pushdowns
CORE:
3 sets crunches
3 sets planks

friday 4 working sets deads (THEY HURT ERGGHHHH DAMNIT)
4 sets bent over bb rows
3 sets DB shrugs
CORE:
3 sets crunches
3 sets planks

I'm not trying to be rude bud, just want you to give yourself a chance to grow.

Overall I just think it's simply a bad routine.

Like I said before, you need to be hitting each muscle group at least twice a week right now. Be creative, and figure out ways to lift even though your shoulder hurts.

The bottom line is that if you can't put the time in on the weights, because you are injured, then you need to wait until you heal before starting the bulk.

Copy of my previous post:
______

In no way am I trying to be rude, but you have to overhaul that routine majorly to pack on any muscle IMO. It's no wonder that you didn't/aren't gaining with your current lifting schedule.

I'm sure the other guys will have better advice than me on what you should do. But at 15 I was doing a 3 day split and it worked wonders.

Something like:

Day A:

Bench (dumbell or barbell or EVEN a machine, w/e feels best for the shoulder) 3x8-10
Lat Pulls/Pull ups 3x8-10
Military/Shoulder Press (if you can't b/c of shoulder, so some dumbell lateral raises, etc) 3x8-10
Something for Bi's 2x8-10
Something for Tri's (maybe dips/skullcrushers/etc) 2x8-10

Day B:

Squats 3x8-10
Something for Hammstring 3x8-10
Calve raises 3x8-10
Abs - whatever you like

Day C - Either Start Over or take the day off then start over. You should probably take this day off.

IMO at 15 you have such short recovery time that you need to hit each muscle group 2-3 times a week. I gained 30lbs from 16-17 with that basic routine. Just eat alot.

Once you develop a good base of muscle to build off of you can tailor the routine to focus more heavily on one muscle group at a time. I think the routine I listed above would be great for the next 2-4 months, if not longer (until the gains start to taper off or you get really bored with it).

For now keep it simple, work out heavy, work out often, and eat a ton. You will grow. Creatine was GREAT for me at your age. Went from 150 to around 185 in about a year, and kept the sixer. Take advantage of the amazing recovery time that your 15 year old body will give you.

Oh yeh... and get at LEAST 8 hours of sleep a night.

______

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
alright so i cant eat stuff like quiznos subs, subway, baked lays, wheat thins, southwestern egg rolls from chilis, chicken crispers from chilis, and an occasion slice or two of pizza?

lol
eat good often, but if you feel like a burger now and again, don't think twice. just don't lose track of what you're putting into your body or you'll look like a pig man.

getting strong is cool, but when you MAKE yourself a fatass, its not worth it.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
damnit this sucks what do you recommend to get my shoulder to heal/strengthen in the fastest way possible?

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
eat good often, but if you feel like a burger now and again, don't think twice. just don't lose track of what you're putting into your body or you'll look like a pig man.

getting strong is cool, but when you MAKE yourself a fatass, its not worth it.
ok so like the stuff i meantioned would that be considered good/ok (EXCEPT for the pizza i know thats bad because all the grease and stuff)

edit: just to note i dont drink soda or any sugarry crap like that)

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
for me, i was able to heal my shoulder and gain size by setting up in a power rack and setting the safety pins 6" above my chest and benchign to the safety pins. kept most of the strain off of my shoulder and allowed me to heal and gain strength.

but, of course, i'd never actualy "advise" anybody with an injury to lift that bodypart. i just know you can't stop people :D

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
ok so like the stuff i meantioned would that be considered good/ok (EXCEPT for the pizza i know thats bad because all the grease and stuff)

edit: just to note i dont drink soda or any sugarry crap like that)
No man, good is like chicken, rice, whole wheat bagels, oats, lean cut meats, fat free milk, etc.

eat those kinds of foods most of the time, and occasionally have your slice of pizza when u crave it. (Unless you crave it all the time, lol.)

SHSUStudent

Awards
I'm really starting to feel that the diet isn't/wasn't the problem for you, it's the training.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Dude if you see any BB offseason youll see its not what you see in the mag.
Off-season Photos - Page 2 - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Don't pay attention to the photoshoped pic of DJ (the real one is later in the thread) but here are some of the pics of offseason pros. They don't turn into fatasses. Lee Priest is the fatest one, and he only got really fat once specifically FOR a muscletech ad. He talks about it in his thread at BB.com. they asked him to get fat as hell and push his gut out for the pics.

most of those guys stay relatively lean.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
so i would turn into a fatass eating stuff like quiznos subs, subway, baked lays, wheat thins, southwestern egg rolls from chilis, chicken crispers from chilis, and an occasion slice or two of pizza?

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Don't eat that stuff exclusively.

And, i can't say that'll make u a fatass, eating that stuff and hgih cal will make you fat quicker than would a day of foods that i outlined above.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
oh ok well i cant eat the chicken or rice
but i can eat whole wheat bagels, oats, and fat free (isnt two percent better?) milk though...
so i guess its stuff like whole wheat bagles, oats, fat free or 2 percent milk, quiznos subs, subway, baked lays, wheat thins, southwestern egg rolls from chilis, chicken crispers from chilis, and sometimes and occasional slice or two of pizza

and whats the best alternative to put on my whole wheat bagel besides butter since i know thats bad???? thank you

SHSUStudent

Awards
oh ok well i cant eat the chicken or rice
but i can eat whole wheat bagels, oats, and fat free (isnt two percent better?) milk though...
so i guess its stuff like whole wheat bagles, oats, fat free or 2 percent milk, quiznos subs, subway, baked lays, wheat thins, southwestern egg rolls from chilis, chicken crispers from chilis, and sometimes and occasional slice or two of pizza

and whats the best alternative to put on my whole wheat bagel besides butter since i know thats bad???? thank you

You are FIFTEEN bud... and naturally stick skinny from what I'm reading. Lite Butter/Margarine is fine, and so is the pizza (every now and then), etc IMO. Quizno's and subway is fine! The fried chicken strips are ok too by me. (though the egg rolls are just fried processed carbs and probably not the best)

Right now you most likely are not going to out-eat your metabolism, age, and natural tendancy to stay skinny... so just eat and LIFT.

I wouldn't worry about how you are getting your calories until you actually start gaining fat. (If you even do, because at 15 I sure couldn't)

Once again, STOP all this focus on your diet and start focusing on your lifting. You can NOT get bigger if you aren't putting ample time in at the weight room.

I'm in shock that more attention hasn't been brought to your weight lifting routine. You have to find ways to lift bud!

If you want my honest OPINION on things for you right now here it is: YOU ARE OVERTHINKING BRO. Diet and exercise can sound so complex and confusing at first, but the bottom line is that you just have to lift weights (focus on compound lifts) and eat enough protein and carbs (as well as some fat of course) to grow. That is all there is to it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Lifting + Eating + TIME = Success

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
oh ok im just afraid of gaining fat and being skinny at the same time..

SHSUStudent

Awards
oh ok im just afraid of gaining fat and being skinny at the same time..

Shouldn't be a problem unless you don't lift hard/often enough bro...

I posted the same time as you, so read my post a couple up.

Copy Below:

You are FIFTEEN bud... and naturally stick skinny from what I'm reading. Lite Butter/Margarine is fine, and so is the pizza (every now and then), etc IMO. Quizno's and subway is fine! The fried chicken strips are ok too by me. (though the egg rolls are just fried processed carbs and probably not the best)

Right now you most likely are not going to out-eat your metabolism, age, and natural tendancy to stay skinny... so just eat and LIFT.

I wouldn't worry about how you are getting your calories until you actually start gaining fat. (If you even do, because at 15 I sure couldn't)

Once again, STOP all this focus on your diet and start focusing on your lifting. You can NOT get bigger if you aren't putting ample time in at the weight room.

I'm in shock that more attention hasn't been brought to your weight lifting routine. You have to find ways to lift bud!

If you want my honest OPINION on things for you right now here it is: YOU ARE OVERTHINKING BRO. Diet and exercise can sound so complex and confusing at first, but the bottom line is that you just have to lift weights (focus on compound lifts) and eat enough protein and carbs (as well as some fat of course) to grow. That is all there is to it. Nothing more, nothing less.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
so do i have to count all my calories/carbs/protein

my parents hate when i do that and want to send me to a therapist because they think im obssessed

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Shouldn't be a problem unless you don't lift hard/often enough bro...

I posted the same time as you, so read my post a couple up.

Copy Below:

cool thanks see above question also

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Probably a good idea if you want to see what caloric intake works best for gaining (like a science experiment - not that you are old enough to know what that is.....)

SHSUStudent

Awards
so do i have to count all my calories/carbs/protein

my parents hate when i do that and want to send me to a therapist because they think im obssessed

Forgot all about the counting bro. At FIFTEEN just make sure you eat your ass off and lift consistently. That is all you need to do.

I'm starting to feel the same way as your parents bud. Fifteen is a tough time in life, and the getting big seems to be dominating your thoughts (like it did mine). Lifting and diet needs to be a part of your life, but it can't consume you.

Just be patient... eat a ton of food... stop making things difficult for yourself... LIFT HEAVY AND OFTEN... Give it time... and you will feel great about things in 6 months. KISS => Keep It Simple Stupid

It really is as simple as that. Just give it a bit of time, lift hard, and eat.

My little bro went through this same phase you are going though. I told him the same things that I've posted and now two years later he's ripped as hell (at 17) and doing great.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Probably a good idea if you want to see what caloric intake works best for gaining (like a science experiment - not that you are old enough to know what that is.....)
what do you mean?
sry that was confusing

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm starting to feel the same way as your parents bud. Fifteen is a tough time in life, and the getting big seems to be dominating your thoughts (like it did mine).

Just be patient... eat a ton of food... stop making things difficult for yourself... LIFT HEAVY AND OFTEN... Give it time... and feel great about things in 6 months.

It really is as simple as that. Just give it a bit of time, lift hard, and eat.

My little bro went through this same phase you are going though. I told him the same things that I've posted and now two years later he's ripped as hell (at 17) and doing great.
sweet youve given good advice and yes getting big is dominating thoughts

so just to clarify (this must look so stupid) i can eat stuff like quiznos subs, subway, baked lays, wheat thins, southwestern egg rolls from chilis, chicken crispers from chilis, and an occasion slice or two of pizza
WHILE lifting consistantly?

SHSUStudent

Awards
sweet youve given good advice and yes getting big is dominating thoughts

so just to clarify (this must look so stupid) i can eat stuff like quiznos subs, subway, baked lays, wheat thins, southwestern egg rolls from chilis, chicken crispers from chilis, and an occasion slice or two of pizza
WHILE lifting consistantly?

YES... at fifteen you sure can. And it's a beautiful thing.

You have to make this your lifestyle, and right now things are so overwhelming to you that all this obcessive calorie counting, macro breakdown crap is going to burn you out.

Right now all you need to do is lift consistently, eat eat eat, sleep, relax, and be patient. (oh yeh... try and have a little bit of fun too)

Once again... lifting and nutrition needs to become a PART of your lifestyle, nothing more and nothing less.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
What do you mean "what do I mean"????

If you log your calories - you can vary them and see what works best (with respect to macro breakdown and total calories).

But - now that I think about it, based on this thread - no, don't log your cals.
Don't fool with it.
Just do it (eat).

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Getting the chick in my signature has dominated my thoughts......