New Member Need Help!

edwards

edwards

Awards
  • Established
Danny,
You're doing great! Your diet looks much better and so does your workout. Keep up the good work. The Whey will be great for you too. I eat meat, but I don't eat Cows. I used to own one as a pet and I watched a video that featured the poor things as they were slaughted. You could see how they were scared out of their minds sitting in the little "shoot" waiting to be shot. I understand where you're coming from.

Anyway, keep up the good work and keep us posted.

With Dumbells you can do Lunges, Squats, Deadlifts.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Got the goods in the mail yesterday. Had my first whey protein shake this morning. I got the double rich chocolate and it tastes a little like the cocoa crispies' milk left in the cereal bowl.

I eat my first bar tonight. I got the chef jay's tri-o-plex but these things are massive and have like 45 grams of carbs and 440 calories in one of them. Definitely gonna start looking for something that less resembles a meal-replacer. The new exercise plan is great, I'm finding out where my strengths and weaknesses are. The diet is still about 25 grams of protein short, 100 calories over and 30 grams of carbs over. Any suggestions?
sub a 5 egg white omelete in for a piece of bread? :D

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys-

Thanks for all the encouragement. Revised my diet a little (cut out the afternoon omelette and the midmorning celery sticks w/ dressing) to help fit my plan more. The whey protein is doing good. I talked to my brother and he said that I should maybe look into buying some BCAA product along with the whey I'm taking. He also did tribulus and cellmass, but I don't think I'm ready for that. What do you guys think?

I just took the free sample of vassive that came with my whey protein. It's supposed to be a NOx Pre-workout supplement. I'm supposed to take the other half of the sample, the vassive-CE after I work out. I'll let you know how it goes.

Other than that, things are going smoothly. I changed my cardio day on friday to a leg day. I hate leg days more than cardio.

Also whipped out the cottage cheese during class. Only comment I got was "What's that? Oh I love cottage cheese!" :)

Will keep you guys posted

P.S - before I started my new diet and exercise plan, my friends and family were getting concerned because my eyes were turning yellow. I did some research and found out that it was all because of incorrect protein intake. The body, during exercise, breaks down the glycosidic bonds between starch molecules built up in your body that are stored for energy. After these run out, the body either uses protein for energy or it attacks the liver. The main source of these starch molecules are in carbohydrates. When you don't take in enough carbohydrates (like I wasn't) in a diet plan coupled with an exercise plan, you lose weight the unhealthy way. Protein synthesis slows down and your body attacks other sources for energy. A side effect of liver damage is yellow eyes (yellow eyes can also be a side effect of kidney damage). Now that I'm on my new diet and exercise plan, it's all been completely fixed.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I talked to my brother and he said that I should maybe look into buying some BCAA product along with the whey I'm taking. He also did tribulus and cellmass, but I don't think I'm ready for that. What do you guys think?
Your protein powder is going to have all the aminos you need. Don't bother with BCAA's. Really.

Tribulus and cellmass? Nope.

The only thing I would add if you wanted to would be creatine, either mono, or EE. Look at our board sponsors NP and CNW for bulk supplies to save a lot of cash.

Now that you are eating right you will make great progress. Don't obsess over supplements.

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
I think I'll wait on the creatine until I'm at least a few weeks into my new diet/exercise plan. Things have been going smoothly, but I can't really tell a difference in how I look after 2 weeks (to be expected), but maybe it's because i see myself so much. Upped my water intake to ~1.2 gallons a day. I have a lot of energy and am really focused during school. Workouts are becoming a tad easier. Find myself looking forward to arm days.

Tomorrow I weigh after my first full week. I weighed in at 212.5 last week. I know I shouldn't but I'm going to be watching the scale like a hawk. How can I get over this? I know my diet and exercise plan are good in theory but a lot of this is relative to the person and I don't know what will work or not work for me since I'm new at this.

I'll update you guys tomorrow, but I got SAT's in the morning. Ughhhhh

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
haha. my friend just told me she has SAT's tomorrow as well! good luck on that. Posting up your diet/training will allow people to help you fix it. It does depend on you as well because different people have different recovery rates and such. A guideline can be established to getting you on the road to sucess if you post up your diet and training. Don't lie about what you "try" to eat either. It doesnt help and will only hinder your gains. Be honest. Also taking pictures every month or two helps. I too see myself everyday and I dont seem to be getting bigger. I take a look at the pictures back in the day and I see myself a lot bigger which helps keep me motivated.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
this lame picture should help illustrate reality as to what will happen. fluctuations day to day are normal - you eat dinner a little earlier, a little later, have something for dinner with lots of fiber, have something that constipates you etc. So long as the trend over time is downward, a specific measurement shouldn't bother you much. Also, as your workouts increase in intensity, if you loose a pound of fat but gain a pound of muscle in a week, the scale shows the same number as at the start of the week, but you are still way better off...

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
Hey Guys-

After this week I ended up at 213.5, which is up a pound and a half from last week. I'm not gonna let this get me down because of the expected 1-2 pound fluctuation week to week. Like EasyEJL said, as long as it goes down in the long run we're okay.

Cellardude - I posted my complete diet and exercise routine around the middle of the second page for reference :D

I actually went and read all the labels on the back of the foods I was taking in and got a perfectly accurate protein/carb/calorie count.

Calorie: 2053
Carb: 160g
Protein: 168g

I know B5150 said don't sweat the small stuff and I don't plan to. I'm eating the cleanest I ever have in my life and it's paying off in the way I feel day to day. I've followed the diet to a T and don't plan on quitting. The only thing is that I think I may be taking in too much carbs and not enough protein. Also- Cottage cheese and the Whey Protein are acquired tastes. I can really feel my tastes changing and I'm liking both products more and more every day.

As far as my exercise, I upped my reps on exercises I'd breeze through so that it actually felt like I was working out. It still feels like my exercise each day is a bit short (~35 minutes). I made Saturday, which was previously a rest day, a 30 minutes of "you choose" exercises. I may turn this into my leg day. Dunno.

More soon-

Danny

P.S- Nice graph EasyEJL haha (it was really helpful though seriously).

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
looks good. your goal is to shed some fat right?

I like cottage cheese as well. I cant stand reg cottage cheese but the cottage cheese with pinapples in it taste awesome. I eat that everyday in school.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You may want to try some addins with your cottage cheese. some people like it with peanut butter, sour fruits go well too. you can even use the cottage cheese in a shake if you are using a blender, or make a shake from mostly cottage cheese.

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
lol

After I made my post about being up a pound and a half, I got rid of some "stuff" from my system and was actually down a pound from the previous week. weight is a sensitive, sensitive thing!!

I'm thinking about looking into a pre-workout supplement and possibly a creatine monohydrate to add into my plan by the end of the month.

Is there a pre-workout supplement that's not bogged down with caffeine since I love working out late night? What do you guys suggest?

Also looking for something to the same effect of Fish Oil thats not... fish oil. Any ideas?

And lastly, what are yall's favorite whey protein flavors (excluding double chocolate). I think I'll go for a different flavor next month.

More soon!

_Danny_

P.S- The cottage cheese is getting better, but I can only stand it with the fruit add-ins. I did pineapple the first week and now I'm on strawberry. MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
After I made my post about being up a pound and a half, I got rid of some "stuff" from my system and was actually down a pound from the previous week. weight is a sensitive, sensitive thing!!

I'm thinking about looking into a pre-workout supplement and possibly a creatine monohydrate to add into my plan by the end of the month.

Is there a pre-workout supplement that's not bogged down with caffeine since I love working out late night? What do you guys suggest?

Also looking for something to the same effect of Fish Oil thats not... fish oil. Any ideas?

And lastly, what are yall's favorite whey protein flavors (excluding double chocolate). I think I'll go for a different flavor next month.

More soon!

_Danny_

P.S- The cottage cheese is getting better, but I can only stand it with the fruit add-ins. I did pineapple the first week and now I'm on strawberry. MMMMMMMMMMMMM

hey mess! The protien shake that I have fallen in love with ( 100 times better than ON Whey btw) is isopure. The 3 pound isopures from natures best can be bought for around 35 bucks. I only take them post workout as I find myself allergic to many protien shakes that have too much stuff added into it. Muscle Milk, ON Whey even. pick yourself up some Isopure. Alpine Punch, and Pinapple Orange Banana are good flavors but the best in my opinion is Apple Melon. The best Post Workout Shake ever. Pick up yourself some dextrose for PWO purposes. you can buy 3 bags for about 14 dollars. They should last for 4 months ( intended for pwo shakes only at 10 teaspoons per workout) Honestly, The Isopure taste like soda that you get on the corner groceries. 50 grams of protien, with the added dextrose for PWO purposes is the best treat you can have any and every day.

heres a link if you need it.

Isopure (3 lb) By Nature's Best

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
almost all preworkouts that i've tried have caffeine in them. Maybe Swell from nimbus nutrition, it has no caffeine, and would be a good pre/during workout drink. has a lot of goodies in it.

My favorite 2 flavors in proteins are polar opposites :) I like Muscle Milke LITE (the lite is critical) in Chocolate Peanut Butter, and Syntrax's Roadside Lemonade. The syntrax nectar line is amazing, and no carbs added. Their apple flavor, and crystal sky I think was another that really really tasted great. the lemonade is nice enough to drink as a drink if you know what I mean

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
Isopure has some insane amount of protein! And it lasts 4 months?!. If I were to replace that with my ON whey, I'd probably still want to take it twice a day (especially since i've been short on protein).

I've been looking into the future and after the whey and protein bars that I have run out, I think it'll be time to step my game up and maybe get some creatine. I've done limited research on brands but I think I'm looking at something like this:

Muscle Milk LITE - early morning
white flood- pre workout (i'll switch my workouts to afternoon)
purple wrath - during workout
Isopure - post workout
v12 - late night (creatine source)

Too much? Wrong stuff? What do you guys think

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
Isopure has some insane amount of protein! And it lasts 4 months?!. If I were to replace that with my ON whey, I'd probably still want to take it twice a day (especially since i've been short on protein).

I've been looking into the future and after the whey and protein bars that I have run out, I think it'll be time to step my game up and maybe get some creatine. I've done limited research on brands but I think I'm looking at something like this:

Muscle Milk LITE - early morning
white flood- pre workout (i'll switch my workouts to afternoon)
purple wrath - during workout
Isopure - post workout
v12 - late night (creatine source)

Too much? Wrong stuff? What do you guys think

hey mess! good to see you asking questions. It means your learning :lol:
muscle milk lite or reg, isnt very useful pwo. ( not sure if MML has fat in it) isopure either 3 pounds of 7 pounds will last you for some time. Considering how the 3 pound has 22 servings and intended for PWO shakes ( since its 50g of straight whey protien) it should last a month and a half if you work out 4x per week. I cant say much about the 7 pound one. The flavor is different from the fruity coolaid looking ones that im used to. heres what i recommend you do to fix up your stack a little. add dextrose or maltrodextrin ( i recommend dextrose) into your PWO shake. you can pick up 3 bags for like 13-14 bucks and should last you MONTHS! also creatine, I havent tried the creatine you mentioned but I can say good things about controlled labs Green Magnitude. I really like the sour apple flavor. Extremely tasty. It will go well with the white flood you already have. Agian, it's a bargian 36 bucks for almost 3 months of creatine if you take it every day. I also recommend taking the creatine pre-workout. I find 1-2 hours good for Green Magnitude to prevent the bloats with too much water.( green mag + white flood at the same time = too much water which results in some bloating) anyway thats what I recommend to you. your stack looks pretty neat though. I just noticed the purple wraath. since you do have a lot of water, i would recommend that you take GM 2 hours before workout or do 1/2 1/2. 1/2 scoop pre, 1/2 scoop after. all up to you. good luck :thumbsup:

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
Is it safe (taste wise and chemically) to mix in the dextrose with the whey protein post workout?
Also, is it okay to take white flood and the creatine pre-workout? Are there any side effects?

Lastly, since I still want to cut some weight around the midsection, should I look into like lipo-6 or some fat-cutting supplement as well or will the muscle I build up in these areas be enough to shed off a majority of the fat?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes both of those are safe. only real side effect risks are upset stomch and or loose bathroom runs. which is not much different than taking them separately. :) so take em together and see.

No fat burner yet. give it some time. If you are burning more calories than you take in, the fat will disappear. just give it time.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
Is it safe (taste wise and chemically) to mix in the dextrose with the whey protein post workout?
Also, is it okay to take white flood and the creatine pre-workout? Are there any side effects?

Lastly, since I still want to cut some weight around the midsection, should I look into like lipo-6 or some fat-cutting supplement as well or will the muscle I build up in these areas be enough to shed off a majority of the fat?
yeah. like easy said upset stomach probably for combining white flood and creatine pre-workout. I think it only happened to me once though and it was probably a reaction with the food I ate. Nothing major really, I just had gas/ wanted to go poop. lip-6 and white flood combined is not a good idea. try something more on the lines of x-lean. without changing my diet I noticed great improvements on my midsection. Although I do have high levels of cortisol so thats probably why I saw those results. I didnt even need to finish the bottle to see those results. dextrose and whey is a good mix. post workout. Also the only sides I would say you might notice for creatine and WF = bloating. Too much water with the pre-workout and creatine can cause upset stomach depending on the person. try seperate and if it causes problems seperate the dosages. do creatine 45 min to 1 hour before workout and WF 30 min before workout. Alright I gtg best of luck. Todays legs and I just took WF for the heck of it. JJEEZ im feeling PUMPED!

dhyatt24

dhyatt24

Awards
Hey, I am relatively new with this site but I do have some experience in regards to dealing with what your going through. I have several friends who are in the boat you are in.
I have read all these guys posts and they know what there talking about. Your 6'4 220 at 17 yrs old you wouldnt believe how bad people would die to have those genetics. Your naturally a big kid so you just have to find out whats right for you. Exercise and getting in shape is about trial and error.

You can listen and read about what has worked for everyone else but that doesnt neccessarily mean it will work for you. My suggestion is that you listen to what these guys are telling you increase your calorie intake. Also know that the males body produces the max. amount of testosterone at 17yrs old so you do not need to waste your time with supplements. Just eat and work out hard and your bodys going to grow.
As for training it would be a good idea if you got together with a personal trainer. They will help critique your form and show you the basic lifts for increasing muscle strength and endurance. You have to find out what weight your body is most comfortable in moving around.
My younger brother became very disciplined and started working out and eating at the age of 16. No help from supplements except for protien shakes. This is no lie hes he went from being a scrony 5' 11 150 pounds kid to a huge 6'2 220 in a little over 2 years. Thats where kids these days make mistakes they think they need all sorts of supplements to help them grow. Proper nutrition and a great work out regime goes a long way.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats where kids these days make mistakes they think they need all sorts of supplements to help them grow. Proper nutrition and a great work out regime goes a long way.
In the end thats all the really matters. at best supplements help speed things up a little. I have seen guys do steroids and have a lousy diet + unstructured workout routine make crappy gains, and someone taking nothing do better. Any of the supplements down to steroids are at most like a supercharger, but you still need to have the wheels of diet + training routines to get the car to go. A corvette up on blocks is slower than vespa.

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
I understand where all of you guys are coming from. Indeed, I'll wait a while before getting a fat-burner. However, I've been on this completely refined diet and exercise plan for about three weeks. What's to say a new stack won't boost along some progress? As long as I do ample research and take care of myself, I should be okay.

Here's what I'm planning on doing once my ON whey and protein bars run out at the end of the month:

Creatine: Green Magnitude (1/2 Pre-workout ; 1/2 Post-workout) Cycled 11 weeks on, 1.5 weeks off

Pre-Workout Supplement: White Flood (2 scoops 20 minutes pre-workout) Cycled 8 weeks on, 3 weeks off

Workout Supplement: Purple Wraath (1 serving immediately before workout to sip throughout workout) Cycled 10 weeks on, 3 weeks off

Protein: Isopure (1 scoop early morning; 1 scoop post workout) Cycled continuously

Dextrose: Added daily in small amounts to whatever needs some sweetening (most likely WF)

EFA's: Once daily

Multivitamin: Once daily

Made my friday's a leg day. I didn't think legs would be hard to work out but I felt like the straw man from wizard of Oz after my workout. Intensified reps on "easier workouts."

Dhyatt - I'm guessing the major difference between your brother and I is that he had access to some sort of gym or higher level workout equipment. I only have dumbbells for now.

Which brings me to my next point- Christmas is definitely up the road. What is the best workout machine in the price range of ~1000-1750 dollars that could really help me step up my game. please share!!!

Also please comment on the stack and let me know if I've done everything right.

Up a pound from last week, but I don't feel fatter/bloated and I feel stronger, so I'm going to attribute that to some nice muscle gain.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
I understand where all of you guys are coming from. Indeed, I'll wait a while before getting a fat-burner. However, I've been on this completely refined diet and exercise plan for about three weeks. What's to say a new stack won't boost along some progress? As long as I do ample research and take care of myself, I should be okay.

Here's what I'm planning on doing once my ON whey and protein bars run out at the end of the month:

Creatine: Green Magnitude (1/2 Pre-workout ; 1/2 Post-workout) Cycled 11 weeks on, 1.5 weeks off

Needs more off time. With an 11 week cycle I would say get off creatine for at least a month or two.

Pre-Workout Supplement: White Flood (2 scoops 20 minutes pre-workout) Cycled 8 weeks on, 3 weeks off

8 weeks is a long time, I would do 1 month on 1 month off. More effective that way when your on agian. but thats just me of course, See how it works out for you.

Workout Supplement: Purple Wraath (1 serving immediately before workout to sip throughout workout) Cycled 10 weeks on, 3 weeks off

Purple Wraath can be a staple. It's all about cost.

Protein: Isopure (1 scoop early morning; 1 scoop post workout) Cycled continuously

Dextrose: Added daily in small amounts to whatever needs some sweetening (most likely WF)

White Flood is sweet enough, dextrose is not a sweetner. Ill post up the article I found on my next thread.

EFA's: Once daily

Multivitamin: Once daily

Made my friday's a leg day. I didn't think legs would be hard to work out but I felt like the straw man from wizard of Oz after my workout. Intensified reps on "easier workouts."

Dhyatt - I'm guessing the major difference between your brother and I is that he had access to some sort of gym or higher level workout equipment. I only have dumbbells for now.

Which brings me to my next point- Christmas is definitely up the road. What is the best workout machine in the price range of ~1000-1750 dollars that could really help me step up my game. please share!!!

Also please comment on the stack and let me know if I've done everything right.

Up a pound from last week, but I don't feel fatter/bloated and I feel stronger, so I'm going to attribute that to some nice muscle gain.
here everything is answered in bold.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
Carbohydrates and Exercise Performance

One of the most reliable and inexpensive ways to increase exercise performance and recovery is carbohydrate supplementation. Studies have found that ingestion of carbohydrates before and during exercise reliably increases exercise performance, especially for exercise over 30-45 minutes in duration [1-5]. In addition to reducing fatigue, use of carbohydrates during exercise will speed the rate of recovery after exercise by inhibiting proteolysis, especially if protein intake is adequate [6]. This article will discuss how carbohydrates increase performance, the types of carbohydrates that can be used, and the ideal dosing strategy for increased performance.​

Mechanism of action​

During exercise, glycogen and plasma glucose are both major sources of energy. Carbohydrate ingestion keeps blood glucose levels high, providing a steady source of energy for working muscles. This also aids in the preservation of muscle glycogen, prolonging the time it takes for glycogen stores to become depleted [1]. Carbohydrates may additionally improve exercise performance by having a positive effect on the central nervous system [3-4].​

Types of carbohydrates​

* Dextrose: Dextrose, or d-glucose, is also known as corn sugar. It is 70-80% as sweet as sucrose (table sugar). Dextrose is absorbed and utilized quickly, providing a rapid energy source.

* Maltodextrin: Maltodextrin refers to dextrose polymers of varying lengths. Unlike dextrose, maltodextrin is not very sweet. Although technically a complex carbohydrate, maltodextrin results in a glycemic response similar to that of dextrose. Dextrose is less expensive, sweeter, and mixes more easily.

* Fructose: Fructose is the sugar that gives fruit its sweet taste. It is lower on the glycemic index than dextrose, being absorbed more slowly in the intestine and then metabolized in the liver.

Most studies on carbohydrates and exercise have used maltodextrin, dextrose, or a combination of the two. One concern that is brought up is that ingestion of these carbohydrates will cause rebound hypoglycemia, and thus decrease exercise performance. This can be solved by ingesting the carbohydrates before, and at regular intervals during exercise – in fact, it has been found that carbohydrate ingestion before and during exercise has an additive benefit compared to just one or the other [3]. Fructose and other low GI sources of carbohydrates are inferior, although the difference is small. Low GI carbohydrates lead to more complaints of gastrointestinal discomfort, and are also absorbed more slowly, limiting muscle glucose availability [7].​

Ideal amount​

During intense exercise, the amount of glucose being used can exceed the maximal rate of absorption [2], so it is important to consume a large amount of carbohydrates for maximal effectiveness. However, if too much is consumed, gastrointestinal discomfort may follow [1]. The literature indicates that amounts over 1.5 g per minute will definitely not improve fuel utilization, with little likely benefit beyond 1.0-1.1 g per minute [2, 8]. It is also important that the solution be diluted enough for optimal absorption – in the realm of 20-40 g of carbohydrates per 16 oz. Based on this information, my carbohydrate recommendations for maximum exercise performance are as follows:​

For strength training or exercise of short duration (30-60 minutes):

* 2-3 tbsp dextrose (20-30 g) in 12-24 oz. water 15-30 minutes before exercise
* 3-5 tbsp dextrose (30-50 g) in 16-32 oz. water taken throughout exercise​

For endurance exercise:​

* 3 tbsp dextrose (30 g) in 24 oz. water 15-30 minutes before exercise
* 3 tbsp dextrose (30 g) in 16 oz. water at the beginning of exercise and every 30 minutes (note that it is also essential to ensure adequate sodium intake when consuming this much fluid)

Note that these are for maximal performance only, and recommendations depend on circumstances. A person trying to limit caloric intake, for example, would want to consume less. Also, one may want to reduce carbohydrate intake accordingly if consuming protein during exercise.​

I would avoid using dextrose pre-workout, I find that I crash on it during the middle of a workout. Chuck 10 teaspoons with 2 scoops of Isopure after your workout for nutrition. Best way that I use it.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
3 weeks is still a warmup. save buying more till you start to stall, when you go 3 weeks with no change at all in weights lifted or on the scale. then bump some more supplements in. the earlier you start adding them, the sooner you'll want to bump it up more.

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
cellardude - Thanks for the article. I'll definitely use that as a reference when the time comes. The information was great.

easyEJL - I've been cutting weight (or trying to) since the end of june. I feel like I'm down to a reasonable size to where I should bulk up. Yes, there are some spots that i'd like to see reduced more than others. Yes, I am limited by my exercise equipment. Why shouldn't I just hop on the ball and start stacking supplements? If I'm doing it safely, through cycliing and working out and managing a healthy water intake, what's the danger?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No danger really, just as you become more used to the supplements you need something more to break the next plateua. the longer you wait to use something, the further away the next jump is.

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
So would you recommend starting off with just a creatine, workout supplement, or pre-workout supplement?

How often do people usually hit plateaus? I'm not looking to become arnold, but I want to look good. I won't ever do anabolics or PH's because I don't believe in them.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Creatine would be a very good addition. At your age I would not expect a plateau for several to many years with proper training and diet.

Lift, eat, sleep, date chicks (or your personal preference) and have fun. :)

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
So would you recommend starting off with just a creatine, workout supplement, or pre-workout supplement?

How often do people usually hit plateaus? I'm not looking to become arnold, but I want to look good. I won't ever do anabolics or PH's because I don't believe in them.
Ive been at it for 4-5 months now. Still gaining. The gains slow down after awhile but switching up your diet/routine will get them to start moving agian.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
critical to run workout routines no less than 4 and longer than 8-10 weeks between switching. Although it may mean that when you switch routines that weights in some exersizes go down (different reps per exersize, timing, order of exersizes, etc) in the long run you will continue gaining better that way

edwards

edwards

Awards
  • Established
instead of shelling out 1000 bucks for some weights for your garage, go join the local gym or the ymca. You'll meet people, learn from them and maybe meet some hotties and get some nectar.

keep up the good work! Remember, every lb of muscle you gain burns 45 calories a day. So the more muscle you have, the more fat you are gonna burn off!!

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys!

Sorry it's been so long since my last update. I wanted to wait another week so I had stuff to talk about.

First up, I dropped 4 pounds this week and I'm feeling great. Working out is becoming less and less of a chore and more of something I look forward to. I'm 9 pounds away from my original goal I set back in June, but I think I'm going to push it back a little further or exchange it completely for a BF% goal.

Next, I increased the weight of my workouts by ~8 pounds per dumbbell. I also completely changed up my cardio from HIIT training to a slow constant run for a much longer time (I found that it burned 200 more calories and it was easier on my knees). I also enjoyed it alot more than HIIT training. I'm thinking about putting cardio in twice a week instead of just once.

I found that after my first leg day I got bruising on some parts of my thigh. I remember not stretching before or after my leg workout which may have caused it. Also, I had to configure seated calf presses with dumbbells so maybe that was a cause of the bruising?

As far as food goes, I love my diet and I'm definitely sticking to it to a T. We had two parties in class where everyone brought in cookies and chips and crap and chowed down. I took a cookie but gave it up to a friend. Nobody really noticed that i didn't eat anything. I also woke up late one morning and had to bring my whey powder to class and mix it up in my water bottle in front of everyone. I got a few questions about it but nothing embarassing (they thought I had to do it because I'm vegetarian).

Grades are good, social life is fine, girls are non-existent.

About the supplements- I did decide to purchase Purple Wraath and Green Magnitude. They should be arriving today. I know that EJL warned me about plateaus and I don't want the move to buy this stuff be like a slap in his face. I understand completely where he's coming from and his posts have been huge motivation for me thus far. I'm going to continue to take his advice with the utmost sincerity, as well as everyone else who has been posting in this topic. Thanks.

More to come!

Danny

P.S - about the gym membership, I don't want to join a Globo Gym and have to listen to Justin Timberlake and wait in line for machines during my stay. I found an old farm about 20 minutes away from me that was turned into a gym. I'm going to look into membership there and I'll keep you guys posted.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not stretching shouldnt cause bruising, but I bruised myself a bunch early on. You don't even notice hitting yourself with the weights, and it takes sometimes a day or two for them to show. Once you start getting form clean and correct, it wont happen. I'll try and find the link to a site that I have that has TONS of well organized videos. You may want to look at bodybuilding.com's exersize section to watch the videos of the specific ones you are doing.

Its just easy to fall into the supplement trap :) I know. I've literally spent thousands of $ in 2007. In terms of what I consider staple supplements (not including proteins) I probably spend $200-300 a month. I wish I didnt :) but once you get used to working out with strong pre-workout stims, you feel you need them just to hit the gym. And then its easy to add in more and more... luckily the $ isn't important in my scenario, but had I waited longer to just start taking a fat burner even, I would have made close to the same progress and not feel so dependent.

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
200-300 a month!?! holy cow

And definitely find those videos those would be a big help :good:

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
EasyEJL - That website is awesome! I don't mind the newsletter either, as it has some interesting info in it as well.

Time for an update---

So my first week of creatine and purple wraath are over. My bw is up a pound and half or so from last week and I'm sittin on 211. Solid. The creatine tastes fine, but I don't expect to feel any noticeable gains until about a month in. As far as the purple wraath, I'm mixing it in the largest cup I have (~32 oz) but at 2 scoops the taste is incredibly strong, similar to cough syrup. I definitely need to go get a giant water bottle and up the water ratio on that mix.

I tried the wtf pump'd samples NP sent me and they are pretty intense. More than anything I like the focus you get from them- everything else in your life shuts down; stress evaporates, family issues, college pressure, SAT scores, etc. just fall away and the only thing you think about is one more set or one more lap on the track.
I've also been doing the venom 3.0 hyperdrive and lean dreams samples. Can't say I've really noticed anything from those. The 200mg of caffeine in the hyperdrive makes me crash about midmorning though so I'm thinking i'll give the rest of those away.

I made cardio an everyday thing. Creatine is going to make me bulk, and I need cardio to gain lean mass and not get fat. Right now I'm just chugging out a mile and a half a day or so. I actually decided on my cardio day to run a mile and see if I've lowered my time. My 10th grade mile time was a pitiful 10:34. I smoked it in 7:30 yesterday and I think those numbers are gonna drop more as I get used to cardio.

My water intake is through the roof. I've just made it a habit to pee and fill up my water bottle in between all classes and lunch. I'm guessing its about 2 gallons a day now.

Diet is still the same. I don't think I'll ever get tired of canned green beans. I'm eating cottage cheese plain or with a little salsa. My protein bars ran out (440 calories, 45 grams of carbs, 30 grams of protein) and I found a better alternative. I just do 2 cups of kirkland egg starts (270 calories, 8 carbs, 48 grams of protein) when I get home from school. The only problem is that's a ton of egg whites and I have trouble finishing them.

My ON whey is about to run out, so I should probably make an isopure order from NP/SM. Definitely gonna get a chocolaty flavor though because all the fruity stuff I have to drink pre workout and during workout is plenty. I need something on the other side of the spectrum or I'll go crazy.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this. I know replies have slown down but I'm just gonna make this a log of my progress; a journal. I can always come back to it and read where I started and how I achieved my goals. That's what's important in the end.

More to come--

Danny

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats the main reason to keep a log, for yourself :) Make sure that with doing more cardio, you also raise your caloric intake some too. you don't want to be much more than 500-800 calories in defecit a day, or it starts having negative effects

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
Ahhh another week down, happy November everyone-

Week 5: Weight = 208.5
Weight Loss since Beginning of thread: 11.5 Pounds

Boom! You don't really feel different until you check out your starting stats and then where you stand now. Just on my bicep curls alone I've raised 18.8 pounds in a month and a half! Started the Summer at 245, which is 36.5 pounds down. Can't really tell if the creatine or the purple wraath are working, but maybe I'm looking too hard.

Now for some iffy things:

I'm getting awful cramping during my cardio. I realize I'm taking in a lot of water (1/2 a gallon during workout alone), but this is crippling me. I've noticed it intensifies A TON when I do my normal cardio breathing (in the nose out the mouth) and it's not as bad when I gulp air through my mouth, but I feel fatigued faster when I do that.

Not necessarily bad but I've noticed my left arm is getting a heck of a lot bigger than my right. I'm doing the same workout regimen for both arms with the same weight and the same form. What the heck man.

About to make an order from NP for some protein. I kind of want to keep all the empty supplement containers as a visual chart of what's been put inside my body; yeah I know that's weird, but I feel kind of attached to the giant tub of ON 100% goodness that started this whole thing off.

OH! Check this. I'm taking in the same amount of water I was before I started the creatine and BCAA's, maybe a lot more, but I'm not having the same intense feeling of urinating every hour or so and the urine itself isn't perfectly clear. Is everything okay?

Ugh, this week was Halloween and I had a get together at my house. I promised myself I wouldn't dig into the plethera of crap I bought at the grocery store and just fend off my appetite with water and a banana. Lo and behold, I finished off the night in the hole a few chocolate cookies, a caramel apple, and some little pumpkin pie treat things. Oh well.

I've found myself getting too elastic with my diet intake and such. I'm not outright cheating, but I'll go for the slice of American cheese when I get home from school or I'll try to convince myself that since I may not be eating enough, I'll eat one of those cottage cheese doubles in the afternoon. I feel like I'm hitting cravings at certain points in the day. Also, I'm having trouble getting up early enough to take in my whey protein before school like I normally do. I need to get more disciplined.

My face is breaking out even though I'm taking great care of it. Would creatine increase oily skin?

I think that's it for now. I need some questions answered. I wanna throw out a "congrats" to EasyEJL on his new rep position and a "keep pushing!" to cellardude on his log. Major props.

More to come------------

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
Ahhh another week down, happy November everyone-

Week 5: Weight = 208.5
Weight Loss since Beginning of thread: 11.5 Pounds
awsome bro keep up the good work.

Boom! You don't really feel different until you check out your starting stats and then where you stand now. Just on my bicep curls alone I've raised 18.8 pounds in a month and a half! Started the Summer at 245, which is 36.5 pounds down. Can't really tell if the creatine or the purple wraath are working, but maybe I'm looking too hard.

Creatine helps. Notice your curls have gone up, A good attribute to the raise in weights is creatine. Purple Wraath will help on recovery slightly. Dont expect a miracle however. It also helps protein synthesis which in your case because you only eat veggies, the extra protien uptake will be useful and helpful for cutting weight.

Now for some iffy things:

I'm getting awful cramping during my cardio. I realize I'm taking in a lot of water (1/2 a gallon during workout alone), but this is crippling me. I've noticed it intensifies A TON when I do my normal cardio breathing (in the nose out the mouth) and it's not as bad when I gulp air through my mouth, but I feel fatigued faster when I do that.
Not sure what you mean here.

Not necessarily bad but I've noticed my left arm is getting a heck of a lot bigger than my right. I'm doing the same workout regimen for both arms with the same weight and the same form. What the heck man.

Try barbells. Sometimes one arm, one lat, one leg will grow faster than the other. As a person working out on muscles you may want to do extra sets/reps to help the lacking body part grow. eg- my left lat doesnt grow as fast as my right, It's not as thick either. Ill throw in 2 extra sets of dumbbell rows to my left lat. Sometimes it doesnt really matter either. I doubt it has changed that much for people to look at you weird.

About to make an order from NP for some protein. I kind of want to keep all the empty supplement containers as a visual chart of what's been put inside my body; yeah I know that's weird, but I feel kind of attached to the giant tub of ON 100% goodness that started this whole thing off.

haha cool!

OH! Check this. I'm taking in the same amount of water I was before I started the creatine and BCAA's, maybe a lot more, but I'm not having the same intense feeling of urinating every hour or so and the urine itself isn't perfectly clear. Is everything okay?

Could be your vitimins. Also could be the fact that your a vegetarian. I remember reaper telling me something about excess b12 or such in my vits. But when I took my vitimins they were made from herbal vegetarian products or plants. Caused me to piss a heavy yellow or light green piss afterwards. Your consumption of veggies is most likely a cause of this. If not it's your vitimins. Dont worry bout it.

Ugh, this week was Halloween and I had a get together at my house. I promised myself I wouldn't dig into the plethera of crap I bought at the grocery store and just fend off my appetite with water and a banana. Lo and behold, I finished off the night in the hole a few chocolate cookies, a caramel apple, and some little pumpkin pie treat things. Oh well.

Treats once in awhile wont hurt. Just be reasonable. They help you stay on track of your goal actually. You'll get bored of your diet really easily if not for the occasional treats.

I've found myself getting too elastic with my diet intake and such. I'm not outright cheating, but I'll go for the slice of American cheese when I get home from school or I'll try to convince myself that since I may not be eating enough, I'll eat one of those cottage cheese doubles in the afternoon. I feel like I'm hitting cravings at certain points in the day. Also, I'm having trouble getting up early enough to take in my whey protein before school like I normally do. I need to get more disciplined.
Dont worry a treat once in awhile wont kill you. It allows you to eat from time to time what you want. Also I believe it allows your metabolism to adjust in a good way. Have a treat once a week or two. Not the whole day as a treat day but a meal or two as a treat. It will help you keep on track and it will surprise your metabolism in a good way.

My face is breaking out even though I'm taking great care of it. Would creatine increase oily skin?
Don't think so. Probably increase in testosterone. Working out increases test I believe and you sweat more, which can be related to the acne. Happens. Even to me.

I think that's it for now. I need some questions answered. I wanna throw out a "congrats" to EasyEJL on his new rep position and a "keep pushing!" to cellardude on his log. Major props.

Word. Congrats easy. Super Jealous Cellardude here :[

More to come------------

everything is answered in bold. hope it helps.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
You are probably getting used to the increased water intake. If the color is significantly yellow though - that should signal a bit of dehydration.

I don't think creatine can increase oil content in the skin. At least I've never seen that - nor have I heard of it.
Probably just hormonal changes - you are 17.

Don't sweat your diet all that much. You aren't competing - there's really no need to be 100% strict, IMO.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
You are probably getting used to the increased water intake. If the color is significantly yellow though - that should signal a bit of dehydration.

I don't think creatine can increase oil content in the skin. At least I've never seen that - nor have I heard of it.
Probably just hormonal changes - you are 17.

Don't sweat your diet all that much. You aren't competing - there's really no need to be 100% strict, IMO.
he said that he was drinking a ton of water and his piss is still yellow. Usually after a workout for me, My piss is clear. If taken my multi organic vitimins Ill piss out a yellowish/greenish color no matter on the water intake. Could be the fact that your a vegetarian. Not sure, but I would think so at least.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For the cramping, you might want to try adding potassium or taurine in. potassium you can either get from bananas or buy the "fake salt" which is all potassium instead of sodium. Taurine you can buy bulk reasonably priced at NP.

as far as the arms go, get someone to measure em, don't just count on your eyes. its hard to measure yourself. get a $1 sewing measuring tape from walmart, it will be a good friend :) if one arm is growing faster you can either go the way cellardude said, or also lighten the weight on the bigger arm with dumbbells. So if your normal curl weight is 30lbs, use 25lbs for the bigger arm, and 30 for the smaller. that keeps the bigger one maintained or still growing, but slower.

Cheats are no biggie but it is better to sort of plan your cheats, rather than little sneaks here or there. with eating 6 meals a day, you have 42 meals a week. if you take 2 of those meals as "completely cheat" and open to eating whatever you want its still only 5% of your meals. Not enough to affect anything even if you for each of those sat down and ate a half gallon of ice cream :D. you want to make sure too that you don't punish yourself by eating less the next meal. Just take the 2 a week, and forget that they happened afterwards.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
you want to make sure too that you don't punish yourself by eating less the next meal. Just take the 2 a week, and forget that they happened afterwards.

Well put easy. I was bout to include it if I didnt see it in your post. Cant get anything past you these days eh? Cheat, and don't feel bad bout it. Unless it's on your gf :blink:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
last night I was going to do a cheat meal, ended up with a healthy dinner, so had some ice cream after instead :D

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
he said that he was drinking a ton of water and his piss is still yellow. Usually after a workout for me, My piss is clear. If taken my multi organic vitimins Ill piss out a yellowish/greenish color no matter on the water intake. Could be the fact that your a vegetarian. Not sure, but I would think so at least.
Drinking a "ton of water" will help flush out the kidneys, but will not necessarily make your urine clear. The yellow colour in urine is due to a chemical called urobilins. Normal colour of urine should be pale yellow. Drinking lots of water ensures your body is not dehydrated (highly acidic) which can cause yellowish urine. Yellow urine may also indicate that the body does not properly process food. One should try to drink before meals, so the water has a chance of getting to the liver before being flushed out.

Clear urine can be due to drinking excess water or diuretics (coffee or beer).

Here are some other factors that may contribute to, or cause, yellowish urine (independent of the amount of water consumed):
a) The consumption of asparagus;
b) The ingestion of certain medication;
c) Certain B-Vitamins, and so on.

Off-colours (some should provoke worry):
a) Dark yellow: can be due to liver problems or jaundice. Assuming that enough water was consumed in the first place.
b) Orange: can be caused by consumption of a lot of carrots or huge quantities of vitamin c.
c) Brown: signal for a serious condition. Examples may include liver disease, hepatitis, copper poisoning, or melanoma. Beware, though, that laxatives or fava beans can also cause brown urine.
d) Green: excess B vitamins; bile problems, infections of the urinary tract.
e) Blue (yes, blue!): high calcium levels, psuedomonas (bacterial ) infection.
f) Red: blood (due to bladder infection, kidney stones, bladder stones, injury to bladder or kidney). Lead or mercury poisoning can also be the cause. In both cases, see a medical practitioner! Consumption of beets, blackberries, rhubarb, pills or candy with dye can also produce reddish urine.

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the color comparisons strategicmove!

cheat meal does sound better and better, but it might be hard not to beat myself up over it the next day and outdo my normal workout routine.

About the cramping thing... it's only when I run and it intensifies the longer i run. maybe it's my breathing in addition to the amount of fluid i'm taking in but its crippling my cardio routines. Any thoughts?