New guy needs help

Stefan

Awards
I'm a 26 year old male, about 5'10 and 150lbs.
And I want to get into shape, and shed this scrawny look I've been living with for my whole life. I'm not looking for a perfect body. A little fat never killed anyone LOL. I'm a big fan of food, cant beat a juicy steak or burger. But what I'm looking to improve is size, strength, stamina, agility and reflexes. The only health issue that might affect my workout would be the ACL knee injury. That I would like to strengthen alot. Its a big concern of mine.
My knowledge of this is very limited. Just recently have I done some reading about nutrition, supplements and workouts.

Nutrition & Supplements
This is my biggest uncertainty. Because I don't know what my body needs and when it needs it. What I would like to do is create a menu for breakfast, snacks, lunch and supper that I can choose from. And add to the menu over time so I don't get bored with the food. What I'm asking for is a good source for this menu. Like a good recipe book, or an online source for recipes, or any good suggestions. Id really appreciate a good place for barbecuing recipes aswell. And I assume to get the size I want id have to eat as much as I wanted with no real limit. More the better.
Ok for supplements I know a little, like whey protein, creatine and casein. But not sure when and how much. Except for casein, I heard the best time is before bed. Are there are any other supplements I need? Also I think it would B a good idea to take vitamins for days that I'm not getting everything I need. And I've broken alot of bones. So id like to get a good calcium supplement aswell. So if possible id like to get some suggestions on what to buy?

Training & Workouts
I have some experience with working out. But nothing compared to the experience of anyone on this forum LOL. So I need a workout program that will help me improve on size, strength, stamina, agility and reflexes. And I wouldn't mind incorporating some MMA style workouts to keep things interesting. Are there any premade workout programs tailored to my needs? I was thinking about 1 hour a day. From monday to Friday and rest on the weekend. That time doesn't include cardio. Thats the other thing what should I do for cardio? And I was wondering, are wearing ankle and wrist weights bad for your joints if you wear them for 8 hours?
Since I'm starting from scratch, should what I eat and my workout begin differently and change over a couple months?
Im sure there are other questions that I have. But I cant think of any right now.

Every time I read anything about this subject I get discouraged cause it reminds me of how lost I feel. There just so much info to digest and so much to learn. And the combinations of workouts and supplements are just endless. Everyone seems to have different theories. I hope someone can help me simplify everything for me. Or at least guide me in the right direction. And if there are any past threads, good articles or a Website that can help let me know. If things where perfect someone would just give me a workout program and a food menu that I could follow religiously LOL

Thanks for any help.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
nutrition wise, this is the easiest i can make it for you :)

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/99607-gaining-mass-nutshell.html

as far as exercises go, in my last link on "gaining mass in a nutshell" there's a workout idea for you which you can try, or there's a link for "west side for skinny bastards" that is a tried and true method.

either way, bulking and increased agility do not go hand in hand. hope that helps.

new to working out, and your supplements are :
protein
multi vite
quick carbs (waxy maize starch, etc)

shouldn't need more than that to get 20 pounds on you :)

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
new to working out, and your supplements are :
protein
multi vite
quick carbs (waxy maize starch, etc)

shouldn't need more than that to get 20 pounds on you :)
And Essential Fatty Acids.

Sorry, Suncloud, had to throw that in there.

Stefan

Awards
@Suncloud
Awesome thanks for the link. Is that only to gain mass, or will that help me gain just as much strength?
And you wouldn't happen to know where I could find instructions on different exercises and what muscles they work on.
Id like to find a weekly routine/program that will give me a good balance with core workouts, mass gaining workouts, and strength training workouts. I want a well balanced body. With overall improvements.
Does anyone else have anything to add? Feed me as much info as possible.
Thanks for the info so far, keep them coming.

fieldt76

Awards
When I first started lifting I bought Arnold Schwarzenegger's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding. It gave me the begininng knowledge for which lifts are for which body parts and whatnot. You can pick it up at any bookstore or on the web.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
@Suncloud
Awesome thanks for the link. Is that only to gain mass, or will that help me gain just as much strength?
And you wouldn't happen to know where I could find instructions on different exercises and what muscles they work on.
Id like to find a weekly routine/program that will give me a good balance with core workouts, mass gaining workouts, and strength training workouts. I want a well balanced body. With overall improvements.
Does anyone else have anything to add? Feed me as much info as possible.
Thanks for the info so far, keep them coming.
well, the "gaining mass in a nutshell" is to gain size or strength. it explains what may be missing from your diet as it stands.

as far as exercises go, try the one i sublinked "the ectomorph workout" at 5'10" and 150 that workout should put some decent weight on you. if strength is more of a priority for you, look into "riptoe's starting strength" via google search. my workout will give you size and strength, but just brute strength with little mass, riptoe's program is much better. basically, you've got to figure out which program better suits your needs.

if you would like to see the exercises in motion, you could youtube them, or use this link : http://bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

Stefan

Awards
What is the difference between a strength gaining work out, and a mass gaining workout? And can I mix the two workouts? Or train for mass one week and strength the next? What would my results be?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
generally a mass gaining workout is higher rep ranges than strength gains.

you can mix them, but i'd do 2-3 week groupings, rather than alternating