New guy looking for some general guidance. anything helps!

subey05

Awards
hi im 23 started lifting 3 months ago six days a week.
weight 114 height 5'10
ectomorph obviously
eat very clean and constantly to try and gain weight. (target calories 4k-5k) only gained 1 pound over the last 3 months and eat constantly and to the T.

currently taking multi vit, bsn true mass, bcaa's, and 100% casein!

just wanted to ask is there anything i can do to increase weight faster or build muscle faster.

recently switched over to serious mass for a weight gainer.

any tips or tricks would help a lot!

thanks again.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
Diet is key, you can add serious mass but if you don't keep eating those calories when you are done you are going to lose it. More weight equals more calories. What is your lifting schedule like and what exercises are you doing? Can you post your diet please?

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Yes and post your training routine please. We need specifics in detail if were going to help. Are you on any medications at the moment?

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What MRBig said. DIET!!! I would definitley re-evaluate your food intake. Figure out your macros daily. ACTUAL macros. Not, I was supposed to eat this today but Ill just save it for tomorrow ,type stuff. If youf seriously not gaining, your food intake in most likely alot lower than you are saying your goal is.

subey05

Awards
well i dont no all the names of the workouts that i do so would you still like me to give you guys an idea of what i do each day.

food intake is usually like this

-morning oatmeal regular/ steel cut oats, type of fruit, and peanut butter and jelly sandwich on wheat.
- 2 hours later either chiken and rice/brown or tuna and left over dinner.
-lunch time always some type of chicken with vegetables and anything else i can consume that's good as in whole grain pasta usually plain.
-2 hours eat semi light befor the gym usually a small can of tuna or something simple as in a sandwich turkey, mayo, lettuce, and tomato.
- work out take a pre work out like c4 then i ingest bcaas while training. and regular protein shake after i get out of the gym.
-hour after the gym i make dinner usually a pretty hardy dinner with chiken usually being the base and other things of that nature like rice, pasta, veggies and red meat 1 to 3 times a week.
- 2 hours later take the serious mass with milk that's around 1500 cals.
1 hour after something small to eat.
1 hour 100% casein bed time.

foot notes i add a lot of random stuff also through the day raisins, peanuts, and anything healthy almond milk avocado. "trying to never get the hungry feeling".

also take fish oil, flex supplement, milk thistle, and a multi vitamin.

was told my diet is to clean and needs some cheat days.

my metabolism is really outrageous. For example i take a pre work out 5 min before i go into the gym and it lasts maybe 7 min and that is on max dose. pertaining to what the label says 30-45 min before. i have had my thyroid checked and all im healthy.

and no medication.

thanks guys

subey05

Awards
training---"usually at the gym 1-2 hours

Monday- chest and tri's
Tuesday- back and bis
Wednesday- shoulders and abs
Thursday- full leg day
Friday-full arm day
Saturday- catch up work on anything not feeling sore

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Yeah I would just bump up the cals. If you're doing cardio scale back on that as well.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Stop using the C4 or any other pre for a while. What other stimulants do you take during the day? Stimulants speed up your metabolism and for you, that is not what we want. You can make your own weight gain shakes to save a little money from buying them too.

subey05

Awards
okay ill stop using the pre work out, and that's the only thing

Reds91

Reds91

Awards
You need to eat more. Simple as that. Do you write down what you eat everyday? Calories and macros?

subey05

Awards
no i have not been writing down intake. I think i will start doing that.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stop using the C4 or any other pre for a while. What other stimulants do you take during the day? Stimulants speed up your metabolism and for you, that is not what we want. You can make your own weight gain shakes to save a little money from buying them too.
I can't agree with this at all. The boost in metabolism from pre-workout stimulants is so negligible. It will have little to no effect on your actual weight gain. - Fat loss products such as stims are only fat-loss products in name, and really have no significant impact on your composition unless you're actually doing the cardio to match it.

The real issue here is motivation. If you lack it, and the stims help, keep using them. If you don't need it, then you're just raising your BP for no reason.

Although I will say that C4 is junk, so stop using it anyway. - Get something legit for a pre-workout, and if you're actually concerned about the little impact a stim will make on your size, get something stim-free, or make your own. There are plenty of products out there.

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
I'd agree with the above, you have got to eat. It looks like your diet is pretty clean. If your having that hard of a time putting on weight a few 'cheat' meals a week isn't going to hurt. Also get on a good website like Fitday to track your calories. Most sites will let you put in your own foods and calories. So if you eat a can of tuna, take the macros from the can and put it in the calorie tracker as a custom food. I would be willing to bet your calories aren't as high daily as you think they are.
Also like luke said you can make your own weight gainers, you could also make one of your own and then take a premade one later in the day for the extra cals. It is easy to get good clean cals in making your own. Add in things like yogurt, peanut butter, bananas, oats, whole milk, and protein. Throw it all in a blender and it'll add up pretty quick.

jdg76
team APPNUT

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hi im 23 started lifting 3 months ago six days a week.
weight 114 height 5'10
ectomorph obviously
eat very clean and constantly to try and gain weight. (target calories 4k-5k) only gained 1 pound over the last 3 months and eat constantly and to the T.

currently taking multi vit, bsn true mass, bcaa's, and 100% casein!
just wanted to ask is there anything i can do to increase weight faster or build muscle faster.

recently switched over to serious mass for a weight gainer.

any tips or tricks would help a lot!

thanks again.
well i dont no all the names of the workouts that i do so would you still like me to give you guys an idea of what i do each day.

food intake is usually like this

-morning oatmeal regular/ steel cut oats, type of fruit, and peanut butter and jelly sandwich on wheat.
- 2 hours later either chiken and rice/brown or tuna and left over dinner.
-lunch time always some type of chicken with vegetables and anything else i can consume that's good as in whole grain pasta usually plain.
-2 hours eat semi light befor the gym usually a small can of tuna or something simple as in a sandwich turkey, mayo, lettuce, and tomato.
- work out take a pre work out like c4 then i ingest bcaas while training. and regular protein shake after i get out of the gym.
-hour after the gym i make dinner usually a pretty hardy dinner with chiken usually being the base and other things of that nature like rice, pasta, veggies and red meat 1 to 3 times a week.
- 2 hours later take the serious mass with milk that's around 1500 cals.
1 hour after something small to eat.
1 hour 100% casein bed time.

foot notes i add a lot of random stuff also through the day raisins, peanuts, and anything healthy almond milk avocado. "trying to never get the hungry feeling".

also take fish oil, flex supplement, milk thistle, and a multi vitamin.

was told my diet is to clean and needs some cheat days.

my metabolism is really outrageous. For example i take a pre work out 5 min before i go into the gym and it lasts maybe 7 min and that is on max dose. pertaining to what the label says 30-45 min before. i have had my thyroid checked and all im healthy.

and no medication.

thanks guys
training---"usually at the gym 1-2 hours

Monday- chest and tri's
Tuesday- back and bis
Wednesday- shoulders and abs
Thursday- full leg day
Friday-full arm day
Saturday- catch up work on anything not feeling sore
Stop eating so clean. Every day needs to be a cheat day.

Stop spending your cash on protein powder and BCAA's. Instead buy whole food protein - eggs are cheap - eat whole eggs. Whole milk - lots of it. Consider adding extra virgin olive oil to your diet - two table spoons with every meal.

You are in the gym too long and too often. Eliminate the arm day and shoulder and ab day. Monday - Push: Shoulder Press, Bench Press, Tri of choice, Wednesday - Pull: Back Wide, Back Thick, Bi of choice, Friday - Squats

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Stop eating so clean. Every day needs to be a cheat day.

Stop spending your cash on protein powder and BCAA's. Instead buy whole food protein - eggs are cheap - eat whole eggs. Whole milk - lots of it. Consider adding extra virgin olive oil to your diet - two table spoons with every meal.

You are in the gym too long and too often. Eliminate the arm day and shoulder and ab day. Monday - Push: Shoulder Press, Bench Press, Tri of choice, Wednesday - Pull: Back Wide, Back Thick, Bi of choice, Friday - Squats
I would add on there that turkey ground beef is another good choice. It doesn't taste as good as beef but it's better for you and the price of it seems to stay around $2.79 atleast where I live, where as the price of beef fluctuates all the time. I'm talking about the frozen turkey ground beef, the kind in the tubes. What I usually do is buy about 4 of them about ever 2 weeks. Plus when I eat my vegetables I cover them in butter and this hasn't effected my cholesterol one bit.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would add on there that turkey ground beef is another good choice. It doesn't taste as good as beef but it's better for you and the price of it seems to stay around $2.79 atleast where I live, where as the price of beef fluctuates all the time. I'm talking about the frozen turkey ground beef, the kind in the tubes. What I usually do is buy about 4 of them about ever 2 weeks. Plus when I eat my vegetables I cover them in butter and this hasn't effected my cholesterol one bit.
It's either turkey or beef, not both, but I do know what you are referring to. :)