Muscle Preservation Discussion

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
Been thinking about something lately as I'm trying to cut down - anybody have any thoughts about mini-workouts before and after meals (mostly carb meals) in order to partition nutrients to muscle instead of fat? Obviously normal length, intense workouts improve insulin sensitivity quite a lot so why not try mini-workouts before a big carby dinner? Curious to know what the minimum time/intensity would need to be to see effects. Every once in a while if I'm about to eat a big carb meal and didn't just workout before it I'll crank out a set of pushups to failure and some body squats - no idea if it's helping yet lol. I know there are some people here educated in the matter, let me know what you think!
It would probably help but might be overkill, why not just a walk or light jog? Good mindset though, curious for others input.

KevinConn

KevinConn

Awards
It would probably help but might be overkill, why not just a walk or light jog? Good mindset though, curious for others input.
Well for me at least it's the convenience factor. I'm thinking mini-workouts that last about maybe 2-3 minutes through just a few body weight exercises. Just found a little article on it actually, not sure how credible/accurate it is though. Can't post links yet but if you google "Gone in 60 Seconds: One Minute of Activity to Avoid Storing Calories of a Meal as Body Fat" it's the first one.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Been thinking about something lately as I'm trying to cut down - anybody have any thoughts about mini-workouts before and after meals (mostly carb meals) in order to partition nutrients to muscle instead of fat? Obviously normal length, intense workouts improve insulin sensitivity quite a lot so why not try mini-workouts before a big carby dinner? Curious to know what the minimum time/intensity would need to be to see effects. Every once in a while if I'm about to eat a big carb meal and didn't just workout before it I'll crank out a set of pushups to failure and some body squats - no idea if it's helping yet lol. I know there are some people here educated in the matter, let me know what you think!
Carbs are rarely ever converted to fat under normal circumstances so theres no point.

It honestly wont make much of a difference

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I feel like there's a lot of bro science as in being overly scientific with the hopes there may be a method that truly works to preserve all of your muscle mass naturally while losing fat. It's not that complicated. Even if you eat at 10 percent below maintenance and burn fat super slowly you are going to lose muscle if you are doing it naturally. Idc who hates on me or gets mad about that. It's the way it is. Always

KevinConn

KevinConn

Awards
Carbs are rarely ever converted to fat under normal circumstances so theres no point.

It honestly wont make much of a difference
Are you referring to being in a caloric deficit?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Are you referring to being in a caloric deficit?
In most states. Only under specific circumstances do you convert carbs to fat.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Go on.....
De novo lipogenesis is not a common pathway In humans - most CHOs are either oxidised or stored for later use as glycogen (not fat).

There are caveats, but for the most part it holds true

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
soo i can eat a dozen donuts tomorrow plus pasta and be good?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Fat Free Donuts and Dry Pasta? Probably. Every day at a 3,000 calorie surplus without drugs? That is where the exception on Denovo Lipogenesis would likely appear.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
as long as you use up the triglycerides that are now abundant before they get absorbed by the adipose tissue you should be good

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hockeyaus33

I did the 50 reps from that article for triceps and delts at the end of my workout today. I have one word; brutal.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
The body has other ways of storing fat - but carbs them selves are rarely converted

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Fat Free Donuts and Dry Pasta? Probably. Every day at a 3,000 calorie surplus without drugs? That is where the exception on Denovo Lipogenesis would likely appear.
This!

The point of the post was that many people use GDAs to shuttle them to muscle before they are converted to fat, but because that rarely happens its not the best way to use them IMO.

I use them to clear blood sugars and keep my levels more stable (im very mood sensitive to fluctuations) and for deep in a bulk where there is a better chance for DNL to occur (or lengthy periods of no fat but high carbs)

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I am a fatty, and I started off 100 pounds heavier. At 5'8'' and over 290, I had to lose weight and FAST. I got down to about 250 and then I went on a PSMF like Lyle McDonald outlines for 4+ months and dropped down to about 190 on just 600-800 cals/day. I lost some strength....but not a lot to be honest. I think brief, intense workouts that don't burn a lot of calories but still keep strength up and adequate protein is the key. Beyond that, I think people have too much fear about this unless they're talking about getting below 10-12% bodyfat. If you're above this range, your body has fat and will burn it just fine. Once you're around or below 10%, the game obviously changes.
Kudos to you on losing 100lbs, this is phenomenal, keep up the excellent work!