Mountainman gets Mountain sized w/ MAXBULK (sponsered)

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Step son hates me today. We built his room in our basement, he now has the nicest room in the house, but he doesn't want to go down there because it means he'd have to come UP stairs. Teach him to be cocky again.

It's Superbowl Sunday and I'm planning on eating a ton so today was about burning, and setting up to burn calories throughout the day.

Smith Machine Calf Raises / DL's
115 x 25 / 225 x 8
115 x 25 / 275 x 4
115 x 25 / 345 x 2
115 x 25 / 415 x FAIL
115 x 25 / 395 x 1

Tried to test DL to get baseline for later in the cycle but I think I tried to close to my last squat day to get a good idea. I'll have to wait till I'm better recovered. I did get the bar about 6" off the ground, but that was it. Legs said "Nope!".

Seated BB Calf Raises / Cable Ham Curls
225 x 18 / 45 x 12
225 x 16 / 45 x 12
225 x 14 / 45 x 10

Smith Machine Calf Raises / RDL's, no rest
135 x 10 / 225 x 5
135 x 10 / 225 x 5
135 x 10 / 225 x 5

This super set really got my heart rate up. I was sweating pretty good too.

Just to try and add to the calorie furnace I did 30 second bouts of windmill jump rope for 4 sets. Was pretty winded at the end but that was the idea. Bring on the finger food!

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just carried my daughter upstairs to bed, that sucked.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chest and Traps

Finally some weather warm enough so I can workout in the morning instead of waiting at night for the heaters to get things up to temp. Weighed myself this morning, and after a major deuce last night after the game, and a serious sequel this morning I can safely say I'm at a solid 205.

KISS workout today. Almost GVT style.

BB Rows, Overhand / Smith Machine Reverse Grip Incline Bench

95 x 12 / 95 x 12
135 x 8 / 135 x 10
135 x 8 / 185 x 6
135 x 7 / 185 x 6
115 x 8 / 135 x 10

Focused really hard on explosive constractions. Also worked very hard on maintaining upper body posistion and staying as static as possible during rows. When focusing on traps I try to stay in the 60 to 70 degree bent over range. This is the "sweet spot" that really seems to keep my lat effort to a minimum without recruiting the shoulders too much.

Smith Machine Rows, Overhand / BB Flat Bench Press

125 x 8 / 135 x 10
125 x 8 / 185 x 7
125 x 7 / 185 x 6
105 x 8 / 135 x 10

Burn outs:

DB Flys / Reverse Flys, no rest
25's x 10, Incline / 10's x 12
25's x 8, Slight Incline / 10's x 12
25's x 7, Flat / 10's x 10

Chest and Traps are pumped pretty well. I love the volume Max-Bulk is allowing me to train with if I haven't mentioned that before, but I'm pretty sure I have. And I know this is generally a trait of test boosters and such, but I've having a tremendous sense of well being. This morning is a great example. When it was time to wake up my son to get ready for the day, I stood over his crib and watched him sleep for a bit, just thinking that life is so great. I don't normally think that unless my wife and I are sharing a little sack time. Definitely liking my cycle thus far.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Woke this morning and weighed in at 206. We'll see if that's a consistant weight yet but based on what I'm seeing from the Max-Bulk it wouldn't surprise me.

Was going to get up for a Tuesday a.m. workout but my daughter was up all night puking from a bug she caught at school, and now my wife has it. I was too beat to try and lift heavy plates on quad day at 4:00 a.m. And we have our first practice for regionals on Thursday so I didn't want to have legs that were still recovering, so I made it a delts and HIIT night workout.

BB OHP / Shuttle Runs with 10 lb. Weights
95 x 15 / 30 secs.
115 x 10 / 25 secs.
95 x 12 / 20 secs.

I tried to keep my rest periods to 30 - 45 secs., but it seemed with each set to take a bit longer.

DB Lateral Raises - Front Raises / Lightning Knee Highs
20's x 8, 4 / 20 secs.
25's x 5, 3 / 20 secs.
20's x 7, 3 / 20 secs.

Smith Machine Upright Rows, wide grip, 20 secs rest
105 x 10
105 x 10
105 x 9

Tri Set Delt Blast:
BB OHP/ Lat. Raises / Upright Rows
Upright Rows / Lat. Raises / BB OHP
BB OHP/ Lat. Raises / Upright Rows
Upright Rows / Lat. Raises / BB OHP

This is an awesome shoulder burner. Perform the first 3 sets, rest 30 seconds, perform the previous set in reverse, rest 30 seconds and repeat. After that round you won't want to do anymore shoulder work. My shoulders felt pretty pumped and swollen. Awesome feeling though.

Don't know if I'm getting a true leaning effect but it appears in the mirror that my abs are just a touch more defined. Hope that continues though if it is indeed the case.

pete8407

pete8407

Awards
That delt burner at the end is badass! I'm going to try that this week. I love the detail in this log, you definitely know how to log a product. People should take notes including myself. Bravo man.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That delt burner at the end is badass! I'm going to try that this week. I love the detail in this log, you definitely know how to log a product. People should take notes including myself. Bravo man.
Thanks Pete. But don't tell my wife I can be so detail oriented, could lead to me having to do more sh!t around the house. :ziplip:

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That delt burner at the end is badass! .
The one thing I forgot to mention is that I perform 5 or 6 reps of each exercise on those tri sets. Otherwise because your lateral delts are involved in all 3 they can get overloaded a ton and you end up not working the posterior and anterior heads. I also try real hard to maintain slow eccentrics with delts since they are such a dense muscle group, much like calves.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don't want you to have to do anymore house work now:)
Dude, my list is currently about 3 years out before I have it completed at the moment.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The one thing I forgot to mention is that I perform 5 or 6 reps of each exercise on those tri sets. Otherwise because your lateral delts are involved in all 3 they can get overloaded a ton and you end up not working the posterior and anterior heads. I also try real hard to maintain slow eccentrics with delts since they are such a dense muscle group, much like calves.
That's a good point. I tend to stick with one movement for triceps after my Bench and BBB OHP, same on the opposite of that.

I've been hitting the rear delts hard lately with 5 X 10 Face pulls twice a week along with lots of rowing. My posture is awesome now :D

pete8407

pete8407

Awards
Dude, my list is currently about 3 years out before I have it completed at the moment.
I know what you mean, every time I'm finishing something or I'm about to finish my wife has something else already planned.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm sorry but I just read his post wrong & it was all gutter from there :)

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm sorry but I just read his post wrong & it was all gutter from there :)

Are you kidding? I RESIDE in the gutter.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First practice in 3 months, and I was slapped in the face with the harsh realization that I can't take 3 months off and try to jump back into volleyball. Defense was solid, serve receive was decent, and even my jump serve was still hard and heavy, but hitting and blocking were a big disappointment. I could barely touch the rim after warm ups. Unfortunately it looks like most of leg days will be polymerics until tournament season is over, or at least until I get my springs back.

This weekend my wife and I are taking the kids to Jay Peak, spend time on the mountain, and in their indoor water park. But they have a decent gym so I'll be able to get in a good workout or 2. Maybe have some pics from this weekend in my next post.

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
First practice in 3 months, and I was slapped in the face with the harsh realization that I can't take 3 months off and try to jump back into volleyball. Defense was solid, serve receive was decent, and even my jump serve was still hard and heavy, but hitting and blocking were a big disappointment. I could barely touch the rim after warm ups. Unfortunately it looks like most of leg days will be polymerics until tournament season is over, or at least until I get my springs back. This weekend my wife and I are taking the kids to Jay Peak, spend time on the mountain, and in their indoor water park. But they have a decent gym so I'll be able to get in a good workout or 2. Maybe have some pics from this weekend in my next post.
If I was you I would just incorporate some volleyball specific exercises to your leg day. Exercises that spring to mind, db jump squats, box jumps and even squat speed pulls will build explosiveness.

pete8407

pete8407

Awards
If I was you I would just incorporate some volleyball specific exercises to your leg day. Exercises that spring to mind, db jump squats, box jumps and even squat speed pulls will build explosiveness.
That's are real good idea! The jump squats would be great for volleyball.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In college I had a 32" vertical. It was built mainly around depth jumps and their different versions. I saw a 6" increase in the first 2 weeks I did them. I know how effective they are because I used to teach them when I was a trainer and a strength coach for a local high school football team. You get a lot of bang for your buck with those. I was one of the only white kids on campus who could dunk. And I didn't know dunking was so attractive to the female persuasion either until I could.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
At the water park

ForumRunner_20140209_164106.png

ForumRunner_20140209_164117.png

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Getting ready to head to hotel gym:

ForumRunner_20140209_164201.png

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Cute kids. Wife is hot. You're at a waterpark while a lot of the country is in snow. Life is lookin' good for you :)

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cute kids. Wife is hot. You're at a waterpark while a lot of the country is in snow. Life is lookin' good for you :)
Thanks Hyde. Definitely not much to complain about in my world right now.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hotel gym was surprisingly well equipped. Squat rack, benches, dumbells, plenty of plates, some machines, tons of cardio equipment, and CABLES. :-D. Also a multi adjustable bench for declines, flat, and all kinds of incline work.

BB Bench Press / Lateral Raises
135 x 10 / 15s x 12
185 x 6 / 20s x 10
225 x 6 / 20s x 10
265 x FAIL / 20s x 10
255 x 1* / 25s x 8
135 x 12 / 25s x 7

*PR at 255. My step son was working out with me so I had him spot me with strict spotting instructions. I was feeling pretty strong so I went for the gusto. 265 was just a bit heavy but I got 255 and was quite happy. I've never hit that much weight, even at my strongest in college.

Seated Low Cable Flys / Upright DB Rows
20s x 12 / 45s x 12
30s x 12 / 50s x 10
40s x 10 / 55s x 9

Oh cables, how I've missed you. The angle of resistance and constant tension from cables is a welcome remembrance. Those of you who get to use then on a regular basis I envy you. Don't take them for granted because they are an awesome tool in the size and strength tool box.

Incline DB Press / Upright BB Rows
55s x 10 / 95 x 12
60s x 10 / 95 x 12
65s x 9 / 95 x 12

Reverse Grip BB Bench to Regular Grip / Low Cable Laterals, alternating sides
115 x 8, 4/ 20 x 5,5,5,5
115 x 8, 4/ 20 x 5,5,5,5
115 x 8, 4/ 20 x 5,5,5,5

My stamina crazy. I'm not feeling tired in the least bit, and I feel like I could workout all day. I don't really feel like my strength is diminishing either.

Medicine Ball PushUps to Fingers Out Pushups / Static Lateral Holds, 5 second holds
6, 6 / 15s x 8
6, 6 / 15s x 8

I decide to call or quits, partially because I don't to hit the counter productive point, but mostly because my step son had had enough. But 3 weeks into this run and strength is at where I wad during my last cycle at the end. Still 206 on the scale but I think I may be seeing a leaning effect which would be pretty cool if you ask me, or my wife. :) With 3 weeks left to go I really feel more mass is in my future.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great looking family! Jealous of the water park while I'm here in 14 degree weather! Nice workout volume! Stamina galore!

pete8407

pete8407

Awards
Oh my! I feel the same way about cables. I have a gym at home but of course no cables. Every time I go to the gym with my bro in law or buddies I always take advantage of the cables for sure!

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great looking family! Jealous of the water park while I'm here in 14 degree weather! Nice workout volume! Stamina galore!
Oh no, we were at a resort in the mountains. Jay Peak just below the Canadian border. It was still cold as hell outside. But it was a great time. My kids had a blast.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Question for your Androfactory guys, or anyone following that may know. I've been taking my Max-Bulk in the morning at 7 a.m. everyday. But I workout either late at night or early early in the morining. Would I be better off dosing more in the middle of the day or afternoon based on this workout schedule based on potential workout capacity, recovery, synthesis, etc.? Because I do have to admit that when I took my dose in the morning and went to workout a couple of hours later (as you can see from the log) my strength and stamina were beyond preious peak levels. Thoughts?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It's got a controlled release mechanism, so dosing later in the day is gonna leave you in Clark Kent mode all morning & potentially inhibit sleep in the evening. Plus it will be more suppressive as natural T peaks upon rising in the morn - dosing first thing more closely mimics natural rhythms, basically letting you stay less suppressed for longer (making PCT easier, smoother, & helping you maintain all your gains).

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
^^ sums it up nicely
It's got a controlled release mechanism, so dosing later in the day is gonna leave you in Clark Kent mode all morning & potentially inhibit sleep in the evening. Plus it will be more suppressive as natural T peaks upon rising in the morn - dosing first thing more closely mimics natural rhythms, basically letting you stay less suppressed for longer (making PCT easier, smoother, & helping you maintain all your gains).
Couldn't have said it better if I tried :)

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
Hotel gym was surprisingly well equipped. Squat rack, benches, dumbells, plenty of plates, some machines, tons of cardio equipment, and CABLES. :-D. Also a multi adjustable bench for declines, flat, and all kinds of incline work. BB Bench Press / Lateral Raises 135 x 10 / 15s x 12 185 x 6 / 20s x 10 225 x 6 / 20s x 10 265 x FAIL / 20s x 10 255 x 1* / 25s x 8 135 x 12 / 25s x 7 *PR at 255. My step son was working out with me so I had him spot me with strict spotting instructions. I was feeling pretty strong so I went for the gusto. 265 was just a bit heavy but I got 255 and was quite happy. I've never hit that much weight, even at my strongest in college. Seated Low Cable Flys / Upright DB Rows 20s x 12 / 45s x 12 30s x 12 / 50s x 10 40s x 10 / 55s x 9 Oh cables, how I've missed you. The angle of resistance and constant tension from cables is a welcome remembrance. Those of you who get to use then on a regular basis I envy you. Don't take them for granted because they are an awesome tool in the size and strength tool box. Incline DB Press / Upright BB Rows 55s x 10 / 95 x 12 60s x 10 / 95 x 12 65s x 9 / 95 x 12 Reverse Grip BB Bench to Regular Grip / Low Cable Laterals, alternating sides 115 x 8, 4/ 20 x 5,5,5,5 115 x 8, 4/ 20 x 5,5,5,5 115 x 8, 4/ 20 x 5,5,5,5 My stamina crazy. I'm not feeling tired in the least bit, and I feel like I could workout all day. I don't really feel like my strength is diminishing either. Medicine Ball PushUps to Fingers Out Pushups / Static Lateral Holds, 5 second holds 6, 6 / 15s x 8 6, 6 / 15s x 8 I decide to call or quits, partially because I don't to hit the counter productive point, but mostly because my step son had had enough. But 3 weeks into this run and strength is at where I wad during my last cycle at the end. Still 206 on the scale but I think I may be seeing a leaning effect which would be pretty cool if you ask me, or my wife. :) With 3 weeks left to go I really feel more mass is in my future.
congrats on the pr bro! 265 is within your grasp, by the end you'll be pushing 285 ;)

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome info, thanks Hyde!

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
At home today with my little guy who's sick, but was able to get in some plyos before a headache interrupted and took over.

I warmed up with the elliptical and skater plants, then went to box depth jumps.

1 Legged 6" Box Depth Jumps

16" Box Depth Jumps

1 Legged 6" Box Depth Jumps
6,6 Then 2 legs off 6" box for 2 sets of 10.

The headache was becoming more unbearable as I went so I knew I needed to taper down the jumps so I could be at least some what productive. But when I got inside and was at the kitchen sink doing dishes after, my legs had the same feeling like I had done a regular quad day. A good feeling, and hopefully after a couple more plyo sessions I'll have some semblance of my jump back.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just woke up for a morning workout and is -9 outside and heaters haven't been running. Looks like an evening workout tonight.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Back today, just back

Tried to warm up with v handle pull downs, but felt that twinge in my elbow again. Tried a couple of different hand positions and found underhand rows and extra wide grip pull downs were OK. I tried to do some tricep extensions and they were excruciating. Tried an OHP with just the bar and that was bad too. I can't help but wonder if heavy benching this past weekend is the culprit.

Reverse Flys / BB Rows, underhand
10s x 8 / 135 x 8
10s x 8 / 185 x 4 (Elbow cut it short)
10s x 8 / 155 x 6
10s x 6 / 135 x 6
10s x 6 / 135 x 5

Once warmed up the elbow didn't feel to bad. I tried overhand grip BB rows but they hurt too much.

Reverse Flys / Suitcase Rows / Skier Pull Downs / Wide Grip Pull Downs
10s x 5 / 45s x 6 / 50 x 6 / *100* x 6

BB Rows, underhand, 20 seconds rest
135 x 6
135 x 6
135 x 6

Pump tonight felt pretty good. My arms couldn't hang straight down my lats were so pumped. Vascularity in forearms and bis was decent as well. My endurance was still just as high as this past weekend but with my elbow feeling the way it is didn't want to do to much damage, assuming I haven't already. Tomorrow night is practice so we'll see how things are then.

skinnybones

skinnybones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey Mountian. Nice work out. It's a shame about your elbow. Do you think it's bone or muscle? Warm that Sh*t up with some icy hot before you lift, you guys got it so cold over there. Should just give it some days off & plan working some other muscles. Only thing that sux about that is , seems almost all exercises we love involve the elbows.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey Mountian. Nice work out. It's a shame about your elbow. Do you think it's bone or muscle? Warm that Sh*t up with some icy hot before you lift, you guys got it so cold over there. Should just give it some days off & plan working some other muscles. Only thing that sux about that is , seems almost all exercises we love involve the elbows.
And I do love my heavy compounds. I'm 99% sure it's a tendon issue, and rest is going to be the best thing, but unfortunately I have a bit of an addictive personality and keeping away from lifting will be just about impossible. I will take it easy when necessary, and anti inflammatory meds when it makes sense, but since muscle inflammation is a major part of the hypertrophy process I'll do so sparingly. Shoulders and chest will be Flys and laterals until it's better. But my lower body will certainly get more attention than it did before. :)

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whenever elbow issues happen to me, I use neoprene elbow sleeves when lifting, take something with cissus (iForce Joint Help) in it, add in glucosamine with that and use the voodoo floss bands when not lifting. I'm older so these joint issues happen easily.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks engineer, I'll have to give those a shot.

hurdlemaker

hurdlemaker

Awards
  • Established
Whenever elbow issues happen to me, I use neoprene elbow sleeves when lifting, take something with cissus (iForce Joint Help) in it, add in glucosamine with that and use the voodoo floss bands when not lifting. I'm older so these joint issues happen easily.
Good advice, I also get a lot of joint pain at times. I generally do glucosamine/chondroitin/msm and cissus, sometimes I will rub some blue emu oil on the area pre-workout. I've also at times taken a product called D-flame that is a natural anti-inflammatory. Good luck with the healing. Don't get to impatient and hit it hard too early.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good advice, I also get a lot of joint pain at times. I generally do glucosamine/chondroitin/msm and cissus, sometimes I will rub some blue emu oil on the area pre-workout. I've also at times taken a product called D-flame that is a natural anti-inflammatory. Good luck with the healing. Don't get to impatient and hit it hard too early.
I'll definitely take it easy on pressing movements. I'll have to look into the D-flame. Thanks hurdle.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Took the day off and got some work done.

ForumRunner_20140214_192152.png

ForumRunner_20140214_192143.png

skinnybones

skinnybones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looks good dude. Nice and fresh. I love the first week of a tat. All raised up off the skin. Worth the day off I'd say :)

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So woke up today and either my scale's batteries are dying or something has changed within my system. It showed me at 205. I was expecting 206 if not 207. Has me perplexed, and it's certainly not diet. I've been above 3000 calories everyday at least, If not more with tons of protein. However, I do see some slight ab definition. Trick of the mirror? Direction of particular light? Not sure. More to report later in this cycle.

The other thing about today, it's all out frustration day. Between my lazy a$$ step son, my wife who is sick again because she never listens to me about nutrition and her immune system, dropping to205, and This goddam elbow, I'm kind of a p!ssed off guy today. It's time to annihilate my legs.

WMD's
You may think weapons of mass destruction first, and you're kind of right, but it actually stands for waves of mass destruction. There are wave loading programs out there, but this is kind of my version on wave loading. Take one exercise and do 2 "work sets" within a set, light then heavy in one set, heavy then light in the next. But no rest between the light and heavy, or vice versa.

Smith Machine Calf Raises / BB Squats
Calves:
Heavy (H) = 145
Light (L) = 95
Squats:
Heavy (H) = 225
Light (L) = 175

L x 15, H x 9 / L x 10, H x 6
H x 12, L x 10 / H x 5, L x 9
L x 12, H x 8 / L x 9, H x 5
H x 10, L x 10 / H x 4, L x 8
L x 10, H x 8 / L x 8, H x 3
H x 9, L x 10 / H x 3, L x 6

COOKED! SPENT! DONE! Still want to keep killing my legs though.

Seated Smith Machine Calf Raises / Machine Leg Press, no rest for 2 circuits
155 x 20 / Full Stack x 15, (had to rest a couple times to get to 15)
155 x 18 / Full Stack x 12 (only one rest to get 12)

Rest for 3 minutes

155 x 20 / Full Stack x 15, (rest a couple times to get to 15 again)
155 x 18 / Full Stack x 12 (2 rests to get 12)

Jumping Squats w/ 20s

NOW I'm spent. Haven't had shaky legs like this in a while. I feel really good had severely kicked my a$$ though, a little less p!ssed now too. And my calves reached skin splitting pump status. I think my skin is actually pushing hair folicles out because it's so tight. Curious to see how sore I'll be tomorrow though. Eek.