MMA & Karate

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I did a little research about the Albany area online. When I go into Corrections in August, I'll be going to the Academy for a month, back home for a month, then back to the Academy for my second/last month of training before being stationed on a prison downstate. I'll be downstate for 3-6 months before being able to transfer to a prison around my area.

I was looking up things to do while down there. I tend to miss home and everyone back here, whenever I'm gone. I'd like to continue bettering myself, being optimistic, keeping a positive attitude, etc. The Academy is half education and course training, but the other half is compared to Basic Training. It's a boot camp atmosphere and they push you to the max. Let me also mention that Corrections doesn't test for bodybuilding supplements, only illegal drugs, but that's very rare. So, anyways, I noticed that there are a lot of karate clubs, MMA clubs, gyms, and other places of interest down there. I have security officer training and will have Corrections training. Something like karate, or MMA, would help improve myself self-defense skills, teach me more self-discipline, it's healthy, and it'd be an outlet for stress, as will my training.

I was wondering if any of you are involved in MMA, or any other type of karate. I'm very interested in joining some of these clubs downstate. What should I expect? What should I know? Any advice would be great.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Move this over to the MMA section. Maybe attempt to PM TheMouth. He has a lot of connections in the MMA world. At the very least he will know of some reputable gyms in the area. You're in a good area for MMA, their are a lot of good places to train in your area.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Forrest Griffen was a cop before he was a fighter. When he was going through his training, which consisted of some Jiu-Jitsu, he fell in love with it. The rest is history. Good luck to you!

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I recommend Parker style Kenpo karate or Krav maga.

Both are street fighting with a college education.

MMA is geared towards the ring, not a shank wielding inmate with nothing to lose (provided your in fed. penn)

tattoopierced1

I did a little research about the Albany area online. When I go into Corrections in August, I'll be going to the Academy for a month, back home for a month, then back to the Academy for my second/last month of training before being stationed on a prison downstate. I'll be downstate for 3-6 months before being able to transfer to a prison around my area.

I was looking up things to do while down there. I tend to miss home and everyone back here, whenever I'm gone. I'd like to continue bettering myself, being optimistic, keeping a positive attitude, etc. The Academy is half education and course training, but the other half is compared to Basic Training. It's a boot camp atmosphere and they push you to the max. Let me also mention that Corrections doesn't test for bodybuilding supplements, only illegal drugs, but that's very rare. So, anyways, I noticed that there are a lot of karate clubs, MMA clubs, gyms, and other places of interest down there. I have security officer training and will have Corrections training. Something like karate, or MMA, would help improve myself self-defense skills, teach me more self-discipline, it's healthy, and it'd be an outlet for stress, as will my training.

I was wondering if any of you are involved in MMA, or any other type of karate. I'm very interested in joining some of these clubs downstate. What should I expect? What should I know? Any advice would be great.
only advice is to go in there and just be an open book. Dont act like you know something because there will always be someone there that can clean your clock. Get in good with everyone there and you'll pick up a ton of info.

Good luck, it is fun and exhausting.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I recommend Parker style Kenpo karate or Krav maga.

Both are street fighting with a college education.

MMA is geared towards the ring, not a shank wielding inmate with nothing to lose (provided your in fed. penn)
Any skill is highly respected while working in a prison. We must run the institution. We can't allow the inmates to. I'll be going through hardcore training at the Academy, but I'm also gonna be taking a Defensive Tactics course over the summer. The instructor is a former CO and state trooper, and now works for the Dept. of Homeland Security. The tactics course is what they teach the state police about how to disarm a suspect, then restrain them and arrest. CO's are Peace Officers, so when you're inside the prison, or in a certain situation in which you can put your training to use, you have the same rights as a police officer. The course also teaches different locks, pressure points, nifty ways to quickly handcuff a suspect, and so on and so forth. I'll be certified. I'll eventually get around to taking the Homeland Security course, but that takes quite a bit of training. I'll eventually get around to that, only for the extra certifications. Hell, I still have to take the Customs & Border Patrol exam later next month, but I'm sticking with Corrections. Like I said, I just want extra certifications and training, which of course, never hurts. It could only help me.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
My best friend is the lead instuctor in the state he works for. He is always at the acadamy teaching recruits and other law enforment officials. He is one bad dude. If the class you are going to is like his you should learn allot. Really driven towards your job