Mini rant about the "Women's Zone" of the gym

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
What a conceited idea, to have a second part of the gym only for women. We all know what this is really for-the women are afraid that , oh gosh, a man might look at her while she is working out.

This is pretentious bull****. The entire reason you are going to the gym is to look good, so why get upset when someone notices?

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I was all prepared to come in breathing fire..but I can't..I agree.

We are all at the gym for the same purpose.

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
Yeah. Like for example, based on your pic I would definetly notice you! It's really just a signal the time you are spending in the gym is worthwhile. Not that I would leer or anything...not every man that notices a good looking women is a perv. I'm happy when members of the opposite sex notice me!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
i like the idea of a room for only women...

i hate being looked at while at the gym, i like being looked at, but not at the gym. i dress down to go the the gym so that im not noticed, but at the same time, since im not done up all nice, im self concious because of that. weird, i know.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most women that I have talked to aren't so much worried about a guy checking them out, but more about "what if they see me using the equipment wrong?" type of thing. Which annoys me just as much.

I think these types of arguments and conversations are so funny. Women want to be treated like equals but seem to always require special attention when it comes to things like this.

My buddy was working the other day and saw a woman trying to put a rather heavy box on a high shelf; he offered to help and she got all pissed off and told him he was sexist.

Chivalry is dead, and women killed it.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Most women that I have talked to aren't so much worried about a guy checking them out, but more about "what if they see me using the equipment wrong?" type of thing. Which annoys me just as much.

I think these types of arguments and conversations are so funny. Women want to be treated like equals but seem to always require special attention when it comes to things like this.

My buddy was working the other day and saw a woman trying to put a rather heavy box on a high shelf; he offered to help and she got all pissed off and told him he was sexist.

Now that statement I totally disagree with, I work out with guys, lift free weights and If I need help and a guy offers ..great. Isn't that what we are all there for. I've helped spot guys on past failure reps to help out. Works both ways.

Wanna watch me in the gym, go for it! I'll show you how its done on a few things, and smile for you while I do it. If I didn't want to be looked at then I would go to an all womans gym..But I want the benfits of a good free weight section and they just don't have them.

As far as using a machine wrong, point it out to them. I'm sure we were all self concious when we started.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
\

i love chivalry and all of that good old tradition :) . im a woman, i like being treated like one. most women honestly don't k now what they want.

i don't look flattering at all at the gym, as mentioned before, i sometimes when i forget my clothes wear kwyck's shirt and pants to the gym.

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
I've heard people tell me they don't want to join a gym unless it has a womans section because they are worried that either a) people will look at them and criticize because they are over weight, or b) will look at them at oogle and stare and harass them.

What they dont get is 1) we all started on our first day at the gym. Every single person here had a first day and 2) if someone harasses you at the gym, you go tell the person at the front desk, and the member that harassed you will get tossed out. I doubt a gym wants someone as a member that is a liability for a sexual harassement suit.

When I see someone in the gym that is overweight I actually think how good it is they are in there rather than stuck to the couch.

When I see someone in the gym that has a damn fine body, I think how good it is they are in there continuing their training.

I don't think bodybuilders are the ones who are vain exactly.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
It's a touchy subject, potentially. I'd tend to listlen to what women say about it, cause I can't really have a valid opinion from a male perspective. I do know, however, that some women who have been mistreated feel more comfortable and more safe with some separation. If that's the case, so be it.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Give them what they want. They already have all woman gyms. I have no problem with it. Also, not everyone is there just to "look good". That is not a reason to go the gym at all, well maybe if your a teenager or in your 20s, and horribly mis-guided.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I don't necessarily mind if a gym has a "woman only" section, even though I have to admit it is completely unfair - IF there isn't a "male only" section. The only time it really gets my attention would be when the "woman's only" section takes too much away from the "everybody welcome" section's budget.

What annoyed me at my old gym was finding out that the female locker room had INDIVIDUAL shower stalls, while us males had a big communal shower. WTF? What makes you think I am any more comfortable with a guy checking out my package than a girl is with some other girl checking her out?

Truthfully, considering the gym I go to now (high non-hetro population), I would say there is a good argument for having only 1 change room for everyone.
Why?
Because having 4 costs too much. 2 for females, and 2 for guys, each divided by their sexual preference.

Basically, I'm saying is that I feel the same way as most women do about guys checking them out when they're naked, lol. Creepy as heck.

But honestly - I'd rather most of the money go to new equipment first. I'm just making points for a case that will never see the light of day otherwise....although individual shower stalls would be nice - especially when old learing creep guy is around for his daily 2.5 hour shower...

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
I don't necessarily mind if a gym has a "woman only" section, even though I have to admit it is completely unfair - IF there isn't a "male only" section. The only time it really gets my attention would be when the "woman's only" section takes too much away from the "everybody welcome" section's budget.

What annoyed me at my old gym was finding out that the female locker room had INDIVIDUAL shower stalls, while us males had a big communal shower. WTF? What makes you think I am any more comfortable with a guy checking out my package than a girl is with some other girl checking her out?

Truthfully, considering the gym I go to now (high non-hetro population), I would say there is a good argument for having only 1 change room for everyone.
Why?
Because having 4 costs too much. 2 for females, and 2 for guys, each divided by their sexual preference.

Basically, I'm saying is that I feel the same way as most women do about guys checking them out when they're naked, lol. Creepy as heck.

But honestly - I'd rather most of the money go to new equipment first. I'm just making points for a case that will never see the light of day otherwise....although individual shower stalls would be nice - especially when old learing creep guy is around for his daily 2.5 hour shower...
I agree. Theres a few guys I see that stand and stare at other guys, and not in the "What the hell is he workin" kind of way but in the "I wanna work what he's working" kind of way.
My #1 reason for not leering at women really. I don't like that creepy feeling either. That and my bumhole goes on red alert, slams shut and I don't poop for 3 days.

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
At the gym I go to, the women's area is pretty sizeable, and theres often no one in there, and never more than one or two...meanwhile its crowded in the main area at some exercises. I think it would be more fair to allow everyone to use the equipment, rather than setting it aside for some feel-good P.C. BS.

We do have individual shower stalls thank goodness.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Why?

This has always bugged me. It doesn't seem right that gay dudes are allowed in what should be a heterosexual locker room. That's the equivalent of dudes using the womens locker room.

I hate communal showers. I like my privacy.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok ok ok. Let's just look at this EXACTLY for what it is for: to sell memberships.

This action is obviously based on the assumption that some women do not work out in the gym because they are uncomfortable around creepy dudes such as myself (can't really argue there ;)). This theory is probably being based off the great success of the Curves chain.

If they successfully steal memberships from the Curves chain, more power to them, I guess.

We also have to remember it's not only so much as being eye-humped, but I can't imagine it's a very welcoming experience to see some sweaty, hairy f*cker deadlifting 400lbs and grunting. There's a bunch of bro's with egos bigger than [place large object here] that make a visit to the gym a less pleasureable experience. Shoot, if I could get half the other male egos out of the gym, that'd be like a dream come true. I might have to buy myself a wig and get myself a female membership at your gym.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I would be mad if the gym I went to did this because that money can be used for better things. If a woman wants that than she should join Curves, I don't mind that because they're paying for that environment. I'm paying for an environment that gives the best equipment possible with good availability during most hours of the day.

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
The womens section could be behind a one sided mirror. That way, they can't see the guys looking at them and the guys looking at them could remove their sunglasses.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I think a women only room is outdated. It just enables those women's insecurities. And for all the ladies in the room who say I don't want to be watched and stared at, think about this. What happens when gyms have a womens only section and one of those women decides to head over into the so called "mens section" ? It's stalker city right?

Why you ask? there's never women there. So when one comes along it's a spectical. I've worked out in a million gyms, and the old school gyms who still have these women only sections are like this without fail. The gyms where everyone works out together, guess what, no stairing, no drooling, no buddy forgets a spot so the bar crushes someones chest because he's starting at a girls. All in all I'm saying these women's sections foster the behavior that ladies want to avoid. It's causing the problem not solving it.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The entire reason you are going to the gym is to look good, so why get upset when someone notices?
Hmmm. Yeah, they are not there for health benefits or to feel better physically. They all must be there to look good so people will notice. Hard to conceive that a woman may not really need or want to be noticed reagrdless of her physical condition or apearance?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am in a gym for the first time in...like forever. I have trained at home for the last 5 years or so.

I want an "all me" section of the gym. ;)

I really dislike sharing my 'special' time with anyone, male or female. It has been much much more than a physical thing for me. It is my therapy, less the couch and tissues. There is only room enough for the 3 of me in those sessions :)

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am in a gym for the first time in...like forever. I have trained at home for the last 5 years or so.

I want an "all me" section of the gym. ;)

I really dislike sharing my 'special' time with anyone, male or female. It has been much much more than a physical thing for me. It is my therapy, less the couch and tissues. There is only room enough for the 3 of me in those sessions :)
Amen!

psychospic

psychospic

Awards
  • Established
Some of the dudes at my gym practically walk over and sniff the pads of the machines the women were just on. To stare and ogle for longer than say 3 seconds is just rude. If it's because you like what you see then there is nothing wrong with saying so in a respectful way and believe it or not, doing so may even get you some action because you weren't like every other diddler in the place.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
In my mind, this is how Chicks would work out in the "Women's Zone"

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
[MEDIA]<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBH6jAt9DEU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBH6jAt9DEU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>[/MEDIA]

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
HTML:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBH6jAt9DEU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBH6jAt9DEU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're living in a patriarchal society which devalues the labour and perceptions of women and delimits their possible contributions regardless of ability and intelligence. Even so, you're going to take that much umbrage with a few women having an exclusive part of the gym, or exclusive gyms?......Really?

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
HTML:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBH6jAt9DEU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBH6jAt9DEU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
is this what you were going for?

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
yeah that's probably more like it!! LOL

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
That fat ***** is gonna need 2 new knees and 2 new hips in about 5 years.

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
THanks, I still have not figured out how to embed the videos

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
I was pissed when my gym first got a room like that, because if were paying the same rate we should get the same stuff, but once you notice that most of the women that walk out of there exceed what Arnold could bench in his prime, its not a bad idea.

They could balance this out by making a "freak zone." Dumbbells over the 120 that we have now. That way anyone who uses them wont be looked at as if they were dripping blood from their mouth.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hmm I agree guess that means I need to work on getting a house with a basement;) Then I can build me one!!!

zpnq

zpnq

Awards
What a conceited idea, to have a second part of the gym only for women. We all know what this is really for-the women are afraid that , oh gosh, a man might look at her while she is working out.

This is pretentious bull****. The entire reason you are going to the gym is to look good, so why get upset when someone notices?
Imagine if the roles are reversed, and there was a men only portion of the gym. I garintee there would raving crazy butch looking dykes out the front waving banners and screaming sexual discrimination. Its reverse discrimination and the activists who rally against it don't care because its against men.

It just shows that the activists discriminate against men, if they were really wanting all things equal for men and women they would be kicking up a stink about things like this as well.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
I don't have a problem with this and I can understand it. There are some creepy bastards at the gym sometimes.

Stay Puft

Stay Puft

Avant Research Guru
Awards
  • Established
Having a Womans Only section of the gym serves the greater good. Firstly, it gets more woman into the co-ed gyms and allows them the freedom to perform all the exercises they desire without being intimidated by the aggressive, savage men roaming the free-weight rack.

In turn, they work harder and more frequently, creating better looking females for all of us to meet, court and etc.... ;)

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
I don't see a huge problem with this aside from the facts that it could potentially subtract from the budget of the gym to maintain and upgrade the equipment in the "general population" part of the gym.. if they want to seclude themselves and cause a big fuss about it then whatever, it seems to be a decision for the gym owners and managers.

But one thing I do wanna ask about is to the women who don't like to be stared at and oogled -- what happens when lesbians start working out in the all ladies section?

I have a few friends that are gay and are actualy really forward with their sexuality. Is it more comfortable for a girl to have a girl stare her up and down as opposed to a guy?

Although I in no way advocate an all male part of a gym, I know if that were to come to terms for similar reasons (which I really doubt it ever will) I would be way creeped out/uncomfortable/slightly pissed if some gay guys started eyein me up. So all in all, it might seem like an all girls portion eliminates the staring and all that noise but only to the degree of male towards female -- not female towards female! And then just try to seperate the rooms into homosexual women and heterosexual women and see if you don't get beaten to death with protest stakes! :hammer: