Votes: 12 6.8%

• Total voters
Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
As well, a major component of this discussion was very ostensibly missing: The productive aspect of Capital exchange. Any economy is comprised of both the consumptive and productive aspects of value creation and exchange, and the present discussion focused solely on ideal consumptive environments. Obviously, the current corporate production model - necessity to produce mass quantities and relatively low price-points dictates need for mass labour at extremely low price-points - has implicit ramifications for the living labour contained therein. This in itself is an intrinsic aspect of global consumption practices, and has direct, primary effects on the greater world economy. When considering 'ideal' systems, one must consider production and consumption; if - and as I was alluding to - corporate entities are allowed to completely forego labour restrictions, they will exhaust their supply of labor by some means: Revolution, or attrition are classic examples. Herein, the Irrationality of Rationality manifests itself: When all goals lead to increased value, all other aspects become last in the fray - i.e., constantly abusing a workforce can lead to revolution or attrition, necessarily exerting detrimental effects on the Economy (both localized and/or national and/or global in scale).

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think thats why i'm in favor of reporting and transparency related regulations, and less so of others. If how a corporation is working (including breakdown of costs more deeply than current ie advertising, marketing, donations, labor, materials broken down as % of gross) is transparent and obvious it means that the free market forces of people making choices becomes more effective as they have more knowledge to use

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think thats why i'm in favor of reporting and transparency related regulations, and less so of others. If how a corporation is working (including breakdown of costs more deeply than current ie advertising, marketing, donations, labor, materials broken down as % of gross) is transparent and obvious it means that the free market forces of people making choices becomes more effective as they have more knowledge to use
Those and labor laws are my primary concern (for the reasons mentioned above).

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, i'd agree although with transparency I think that the labor laws are less necessary, as if all the aspect of their employment are open knowledge i'd believe that people would refuse to work someplace. I particularly dislike obama's new union proposal, the name escapes me at the moment that does away with the secret ballots

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, i'd agree although with transparency I think that the labor laws are less necessary, as if all the aspect of their employment are open knowledge i'd believe that people would refuse to work someplace. I particularly dislike obama's new union proposal, the name escapes me at the moment that does away with the secret ballots
This may be from a Euro-Centric perspective, though; my comments are made in respects to Global Labour patterns. To me, how laborers are treated here, and how laborers are treated in, say, Indian and China, are equally important concerns. Labor Laws present the necessity for humane labor conditions where choice of labor conditions do not exist. We are very privileged in the West to be able to do such things.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
True, that is a piece of why the WTO and similar organizations are important if they begin to spend more time on that area

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
I just picked up an Ayn Rand book while I was contemplating things :dump: and during this entire discussion I missed a very key point. When one asks the question of how to best 'care' for all people in an economy you're asking an entirely different question than how best to ensure fairness to each individual. I touched on this briefly when I mentioned everyone on every level are equals in a true capitalist economy. I think that individual fairness and equity is a greater justification for capitalism than a macro viewpoint. Not to say you can't justify it from both viewpoints, but I just find it stronger when looked at from and individual viewpoint.

I've really enjoyed following this exchange between Rob & Mullet!

Props to both you guys for keeping it civil.
Thanks...I didn't realize we had such an audience :).

One is the notion that the US has always had - and is supposed to have - a 'capitalist' economy. We have ended up as a corporatist-capitalist economy: where we started was a distributed free-enterprise economy. Confusing the two - or worse, pretending the two are either the same or compatible - will only lead to confusion and misunderstanding...and the kind of mess we're in right now.
I recognize that there has always been some degree of intervention by the US government, be it tariffs or regulation. However, in the twentieth century the level government involvement has vastly increased in all areas of government intervention.

I recognize that this could be due to the evolving nature of business and the economy, however it is undeniable that the level of government intervention has coincided with growth in corporate influence. Many people would say the intervention is a response to corporate growth, I would say they go hand in hand, as government and corporate influence have a symbiotic relationship as long as lobbyist and campaign donations wield influence in government.

Another is the concept of scale: a level playing field can't exist when players of radically different natures are on the field. Exhibit 'A' is Wal-Mart's deliberate destruction of the locally-owned retail base of rural & small-town America.
I don't think I'd call it a 'deliberate destruction'. Wal Mart isn't out to hurt local businesses, they're just out to make money for their shareholders. The destruction of locally owned businesses is just a byproduct.

Keep in mind however, that Wal-Mart is not purely evil. They are offering cheaper goods and good that were previously not available to areas of the country that did not have access to those goods previously with out long drives. Plus, those same local businesses have lost huge market share to the internet, just as they lost market share to Sears and Roebuck's catalogs 3 generations ago. Overpriced, local stores may by outmoded with today's economic environment.

Exhibit 'B' is the obvious imbalance between corporations (the number-one wielders/consumers of capital) and individual persons (and non-corporate associations thereof): real persons are mortal - meaning they must sleep, they need medical attention, they will die perforce, and they have multiple motivations of which profit is only one; a corporation is by comparison immortal, infinitely rich, and has profit as its ONLY motivation.
Lets not overstate what a corporation is: Microsoft is a publicly traded company that was founded by Bill Gates. McDonalds is a publicly traded company that was founded by **** and Mac McDonald. Dell is a publicly traded company founded by Michael Dell. Wal-Mart is a publicly traded company founded by Sam Walton.

These are corporations. Big corporations. But don't lose sight of the fact that these were individuals dreams, built by hard work, innovation, and a successful business model. Its easy to dehumanize a company and blame it for the country's ills, but realize these individuals and their companies have enriched the lives of US citizens by fulfilling their dreams.

Another aspect of the problem of scale is the regional and local nature of 'natural' economies (the closest actual relative to Rob's semi-mythical free market): attempting to govern multiple regional/local economies as if they were a single economic entity will naturally distort these markets to the shape imagined by those doing the governing.
Agreed.

Oh, and Rob? This happens in your classic 'lassez-faire' markets. Reading Adam Smith is fine - but you really need the historical English context in which Smith did his thinking. Specifically, look into the Enclosure Act, and the Luddite rebellions.
Never read Smith. I'd love to though. I got all my ideas from Rand. She wasn't an economist, she was a philosopher. Her economic and political beliefs were a natural extension her metaphysical and epistemological beliefs.

Theories, whether free-market or interventionist, are based on the hard-rock reality of what has in fact observably happened; these are the things theory attempts to understand & therefore predict. So please, remember that when speaking 'theoretically'!
Agreed. Any historical event has numerous contexts and interpretations. I believe that the historical interpretations that are often used to justify government intervention are overstated or blatantly false.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
True, that is a piece of why the WTO and similar organizations are important if they begin to spend more time on that area
and to quote myself in case it wasn't entirely clear, an economy that doesn't have any labor laws has a significant adavantage over an economy that does :)

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
As well, a major component of this discussion was very ostensibly missing: The productive aspect of Capital exchange. Any economy is comprised of both the consumptive and productive aspects of value creation and exchange, and the present discussion focused solely on ideal consumptive environments. Obviously, the current corporate production model - necessity to produce mass quantities and relatively low price-points dictates need for mass labour at extremely low price-points - has implicit ramifications for the living labour contained therein. This in itself is an intrinsic aspect of global consumption practices, and has direct, primary effects on the greater world economy. When considering 'ideal' systems, one must consider production and consumption; if - and as I was alluding to - corporate entities are allowed to completely forego labour restrictions, they will exhaust their supply of labor by some means: Revolution, or attrition are classic examples. Herein, the Irrationality of Rationality manifests itself: When all goals lead to increased value, all other aspects become last in the fray - i.e., constantly abusing a workforce can lead to revolution or attrition, necessarily exerting detrimental effects on the Economy (both localized and/or national and/or global in scale).
I think that entire line of thinking hinges on the notion that there is excess of labor vs jobs. If that is the case, there will obviously be lower wages, or if there are minimum wage laws in place, higher unemployment.

I think the reality is often that businesses often must consider the quality of their workforce and attract the best workers by having higher wages and better benefits.

Obviously the counterexample is, Gucci going to Indonesia for manufacturing. They're going to cut labor costs, often by creating the 'dreaded sweatshops'.

What people don't factor in when they talk about these dreaded entities is that:

1. There is serious competition for these jobs. Even making a dollar a day is often 10 times what the guy picking bananas makes.

2. These people CHOOSE to be there. They don't have to work there. They do so in order to have more money to spend in order to improve their quality of life.

I don't believe the hype about the inherent tension between the rich and the poor. I believe its an intellectual construct. Don't get me wrong, tension can be created and exploited, but I believe it takes effort and the notion is counterintuitive to most people unless the idea is seriously nurtured by continuous rhetoric, it won't get a foothold in most people.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think that entire line of thinking hinges on the notion that there is excess of labor vs jobs. If that is the case, there will obviously be lower wages, or if there are minimum wage laws in place, higher unemployment.
Comically here was always one of the problems of women leaving housewives and going into the workforce with full rights and governmental protection - it significantly raised the number of people in the workforce lowering wages effectively forcing future mothers to have to work to sustain a living family wage

Obviously the counterexample is, Gucci going to Indonesia for manufacturing. They're going to cut labor costs, often by creating the 'dreaded sweatshops'.

What people don't factor in when they talk about these dreaded entities is that:

1. There is serious competition for these jobs. Even making a dollar a day is often 10 times what the guy picking bananas makes.

2. These people CHOOSE to be there. They don't have to work there. They do so in order to have more money to spend in order to improve their quality of life.
But your argument there is self defating rob. They choose to be there because it is 10x what the guy picking bannanas is, but that doesn't mean they are treated decently or paid a reasonable wage. It just means that the other option is even more horrible. If i give you the choice between not working and sleeping outside in nebraska, and working heavy labor on unsafe machines for 16 hours a day for the right to spend the other 8 hours inside you'd be an idiot to pick the first option, but it doesn't mean that its really a choice, or that you aren't being mistreated in the second option. Similar to our presidential election I bet the % of people who would say either candidate is the best possible candidate in all regards is next to nothing, but we have a choice of 2 (well, more if you count nader and the other kooks) so pick the best out of what you have. I bet you could pick a number of things in mccains policies and plans that you don't agree with, as I bet most of the obamites could do the same with him.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Comically here was always one of the problems of women leaving housewives and going into the workforce with full rights and governmental protection - it significantly raised the number of people in the workforce lowering wages effectively forcing future mothers to have to work to sustain a living family wage
Very true. Good point.

But your argument there is self defating rob. They choose to be there because it is 10x what the guy picking bannanas is, but that doesn't mean they are treated decently or paid a reasonable wage. It just means that the other option is even more horrible.
By its very nature its a reasonable wage. If it wasn't they wouldn't work there. What is a reasonable wage in America does not correlate to a third world country.

You have to factor in the situation if the country never went there. These companies bring loads of money into countries with no money and build up these countries economy.

Just like its by its very nature better to have a dollar bill in your pocket than to not, its better for these countries to have those companies here than to not.

If i give you the choice between not working and sleeping outside in nebraska, and working heavy labor on unsafe machines for 16 hours a day for the right to spend the other 8 hours inside you'd be an idiot to pick the first option, but it doesn't mean that its really a choice, or that you aren't being mistreated in the second option.
I am being mistreated if someone puts a gun to my head and tells me to work. Otherwise I am there by my own free will. I will never criticize anyone for giving me an opportunity to work. If I feel the conditions where I am working are not to my personal standards, I'll look for another job.

As for working 16 hours a day....a lot of people WANT to work that much because they make hourly wages and want to make more money. Limiting the hours someone can work a week is limiting the money they can make.

Similar to our presidential election I bet the % of people who would say either candidate is the best possible candidate in all regards is next to nothing, but we have a choice of 2 (well, more if you count nader and the other kooks) so pick the best out of what you have. I bet you could pick a number of things in mccains policies and plans that you don't agree with, as I bet most of the obamites could do the same with him.
Agreed.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

I think the reality is often that businesses often must consider the quality of their workforce and attract the best workers by having higher wages and better benefits.

I don't believe the hype about the inherent tension between the rich and the poor. I believe its an intellectual construct. Don't get me wrong, tension can be created and exploited, but I believe it takes effort and the notion is counterintuitive to most people unless the idea is seriously nurtured by continuous rhetoric, it won't get a foothold in most people.
As I have said Rob, in this particular area you are beyond reprieving your beliefs in the 'Free Market'.

That being said, this comment struck me as so dissonant from reality, that I must reply:

Don't get me wrong, tension can be created and exploited, but I believe it takes effort and the notion is counterintuitive to most people unless the idea is seriously nurtured by continuous rhetoric, it won't get a foothold in most people.
That entire line of thinking hinges on nothing but you ascribing beliefs to me that I do not hold, in hopes of proving a foregone argument! However, some of the world's greatest revolutions were predicated on exactly what you are commenting does not exist! I fail to come to grips with your source of logic and knowledge in this scenario. Beliefs are beliefs, but most of what you posit seems disconnected with reality.

Where did I imply that I was not taking either of these things into consideration? I merely posited - and I believe rightfully so - that the pretext of our entire debate was consumption; in order to grasp the greater scope of economical impact, an adjunct discussion on production would have to occur. That being said, the fact that these conditions are slightly better than they would normally fair justifies the conditions they undertake to you? What makes it so you deserve working conditions they do not? I thought you assumed that all were fundamentally equal under corporate-capital exchange, but now you are here admitting that is not the case.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You have to factor in the situation if the country never went there. These companies bring loads of money into countries with no money and build up these countries economy.

Just like its by its very nature better to have a dollar bill in your pocket than to not, its better for these countries to have those companies here than to not.
Explain to me how GDP and GNP operate, and you will find your statement is incorrect. Hint: TNCs and MNCs do not invest in other nations, as the Capital garnered contributes to the origin country in the most substantial manner.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Explain to me how GDP and GNP operate, and you will find your statement is incorrect. Hint: TNCs and MNCs do not invest in other nations, as the Capital garnered contributes to the origin country in the most substantial manner.
I wasn't referring to taxes. The TNCs and MNCs pay local labor, which injects external capital into that country's economy.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wasn't referring to taxes. The TNCs and MNCs pay local labor, which injects external capital into that country's economy.
Neither was I: I was speaking about Capital flows on the marco-level and international fiscal law.

Pay local labor at substantially lessened wages, which is a fundamental pretense of making such large profits. The amount of injected Capital is minute, and is offset in full by the extraction of primary resources from the area; as well, Western-dictated flows in supply and demand for such primary resource goods necessarily devalue them in Peripheral Regions, constituting an ability for these firms to capitalize on artificially low-value goods. Therefore, even the 'injection' of Capital vis-a-vis primary input good investment is offset by their artificially low-value.

The revenue generation of a TNC/MNC does not stay in the region, but returns back to the origin country.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
As I have said Rob, in this particular area you are beyond reprieving your beliefs in the 'Free Market'.

Most likely, yes.

That entire line of thinking hinges on nothing but you ascribing beliefs to me that I do not hold, in hopes of proving a foregone argument!
However, some of the world's greatest revolutions were predicated on exactly what you are commenting does not exist! I fail to come to grips with your source of logic and knowledge in this scenario. Beliefs are beliefs, but most of what you posit seems disconnected with reality.
You said this:

When considering 'ideal' systems, one must consider production and consumption; if - and as I was alluding to - corporate entities are allowed to completely forego labour restrictions, they will exhaust their supply of labor by some means: Revolution, or attrition are classic examples.
You keep saying I'm putting words in your mouth. I really don't think I am. You said a consequence of no labor restrictions could be revolution. I'd love for you to cite an example of a 'corporate ' inspired revolution. I can't think of one of the top of my head.

The revolutions I assume you're referring to are the French and Russian Revolutions? Both of these revolutions were sparked by the excesses in corrupt governments. In addition, the class struggles your referring to were ultimately do to the slave-like conditions in the serf/landowner relationship. That is the antithesis of the capitalist model. I think you should question whose historical context is disconnected from reality.

Where did I imply that I was not taking either of these things into consideration? I merely posited - and I believe rightfully so - that the pretext of our entire debate was consumption; in order to grasp the greater scope of economical impact, an adjunct discussion on production would have to occur. That being said, the fact that these conditions are slightly better than they would normally fair justifies the conditions they undertake to you? What makes it so you deserve working conditions they do not? I thought you assumed that all were fundamentally equal under corporate-capital exchange, but now you are here admitting that is not the case.
What makes you think I 'deserve' working conditions. I work where the business suits my desires. Its no different anywhere else. If I needed a job and couldn't find one, my standards for employment would fall. If I had a job and felt my skills were worth more money than I was getting paid, I would find someone willing to pay my worth.

I hold the right to take my labor elsewhere, just as they hold the right to take my job elsewhere. That is the essence of equals.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You keep saying I'm putting words in your mouth. I really don't think I am. You said a consequence of no labor restrictions could be revolution. I'd love for you to cite an example of a 'corporate ' inspired revolution. I can't think of one of the top of my head.

The revolutions I assume you're referring to are the French and Russian Revolutions? Both of these revolutions were sparked by the excesses in corrupt governments. In addition, the class struggles your referring to were ultimately do to the slave-like conditions in the serf/landowner relationship. That is the antithesis of the capitalist model. I think you should question whose historical context is disconnected from reality.
Incorrect.

Encapsulated within a slave-master dialectic of the late eighteenth century (French) is excesses in wealth bifurcation. The French Revolution was predicated upon several factors, all relating back to inequitably shared wealth: Malnutrition and famine due to food shortages in the most impoverished regions; an incredibly large national debt and incredibly inequitable wealth distribution; high unemployment rates, and higher food prices coupled with the adjacent food shortages created further poverty and malnutrition and; finally, a complete resentment caused by the destitute conditions of the poor juxtaposed against the extreme excesses of bourgeois. The inefficiencies of Louis' reigns in respects to war, taxation and foreign affairs only exacerbated a condition caused by desolate working conditions of the poor, made all the more desolate by the comparison with the ostentatious spending and consumption of the bourgeois.

Ironically enough (given your position on entrepreneurship), one of the most contributing factors was the resentment of the merchant class who resented the unfair competition and divergent patterns of consumption between the noble and merchant classes. The French Revolution was a revolution directly of a subjugated population who wish to restore some type of economical balance to the country. To assume these Revolutions were not related to labor and economic conditions is to fundamentally ignore the situation.

Oh, and by the way, Lenin's works focus directly on inequitable working conditions and economic disparity as the impetus for change - not government. As I have told you, Socialism is first-and-foremost a revolt against labor disparity as means through which to create more equitable wealth distribution. The Russian Revolution happened ONLY because of labor, Rob. Lenin's works are not a social or political movement first and foremost, but a labor one. I am unsure what history books you have been reading, but you could not be more off-point in your suggestion about the Bolshevik Revolution (Marx concentrated exclusively on Labor - Lenin elaborated upon labor inequity and formed ideas of a specific Socialist State).

I hold the right to take my labor elsewhere, just as they hold the right to take my job elsewhere. That is the essence of equals.
You taking your job elsewhere constitutes another office; an Taiwanese worker taking their job elsewhere constitutes poverty and/or death. How is that equal? You seem to abstract equality away from any basis in reality in order to make it a premise in your Free Market theory. Your choices between workplaces and the choices an impoverished Chinese or Indian worker make could not be more different.

Also, when I spoke of Revolution, show me where I mentioned American Corporate Workers, please. I was speaking exactly about conditions such as in China and India (even mentioned it) which DO mirror the slave-like conditions of that period. Hm, I wonder what effect a worker's revolution and subsequent economic collapse in Asia Major would have in America? Hm, I wonder how our consumption habits (providing low-priced goods, as you said) could precipitate that?

:think:

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Incorrect.

Encapsulated within a slave-master dialectic of the late eighteenth century (French) is excesses in wealth bifurcation. The French Revolution was predicated upon several factors, all relating back to inequitable shared wealth: Malnutrition and famine due to food shortages in the most impoverished regions; an incredibly large national debt and incredibly inequitable wealth distribution; high unemployment rates, and higher food prices coupled with the adjacent food shortages created further poverty and malnutrition and; finally, a complete resentment caused by the destitute conditions of the poor juxtaposed against the extreme excesses of bourgeois. The inefficiencies of Louis' reigns in respects to war, taxation and foreign affairs only exacerbated a condition caused by desolate working conditions of the poor, made all the more desolate by the comparison with the ostentatious spending and consumption of the bourgeois.

Ironically enough (given your position on entrepreneurship), one of the most contributing factors was the resentment of the merchant class who resented the unfair competition and divergent patterns of consumption between the noble and merchant classes. The French Revolution was a revolution directly of a subjugated population who wish to restore some type of economical balance to the country. To assume these Revolutions were not related to labor and economic conditions is to fundamentally ignore the situation.
I never said that that the Revolutions were not related to labor and economic conditions, which is essentially a catch all.

Ironically enough, I agree with your chronology of the French Revolution, but disagree with your interpretation. You said:

one of the most contributing factors was the resentment of the merchant class who resented the unfair competition and divergent patterns of consumption between the noble and merchant classes. The French Revolution was a revolution directly of a subjugated population who wish to restore some type of economical balance to the country.
I interpret this to mean that it is an indictment on a corrupt government, by capitalist (the merchant class), not a backlash against capitalist working conditions in an industrial environment.

Also, keep in mind that this was prior to the industrial revolution and peasants in France were often small scale farmers working for nobles (the government), not industrial workers working for capitalists.

Oh, and by the way, Lenin's works focus directly on inequitable working conditions and economic disparity as the impetus for change - not government. As I have told you, Socialism is first-and-foremost a revolt against labor disparity as means through which to create more equitable wealth distribution. The Russian Revolution happened ONLY because of labor, Rob. Lenin's works are not a social or political movement first and foremost, but a labor one. I am unsure what history books you have been reading, but you could not be more off-point in your suggestion about the Bolshevik Revolution (Marx concentrated exclusively on Labor - Lenin elaborated upon labor inequity and formed ideas of a specific Socialist State).
In Russia prior to the Revolution, it wasn't merely economic disparity, it was slavery. Serfs were tied to the land and unable to make their own income. They had been in that status for centuries. In addition, the government on all levels was corrupt, and had insane taxes to pay for WW1, which also created famines.

Industrialism was nowhere to be found in Russia. It was the most backwards country in Europe. You could easily call pre-Russian Revolution Russia the antithesis of capitalism.

You taking your job elsewhere constitutes another office; an Taiwanese worker taking their job elsewhere constitutes poverty and/or death.
So, if I'm a Taiwanese factory owner, and I close my factory, I'm condemning people to death? What did these people do prior to my factory? They're so helpless that only the charity of a benevolent factory owner can keep them alive? PLEASE, give your fellow man some credit.

How is that equal?
You're twisting my use of the word equality. I use that word to mean free of physical force or coercion. IE on equal footing, level playing field.

You seem to abstract equality away from any basis in reality in order to make it a premise in your Free Market theory. Your choices between workplaces and the choices an impoverished Chinese or Indian worker make could not be more different.
You seem to consistently try to find the most emotion evoking imagery in order to show how 'unequal' the free market is.

Believe it or not, people survived without factories. They make the choice to work there.

Also, when I spoke of Revolution, show me where I mentioned American Corporate Workers, please.

I never brought American Corporate Workers into the context. I was reacting to what you said in the previous post about revolution being a response against poor labor conditions.

I was speaking exactly about conditions such as in China and India (even mentioned it) which DO mirror the slave-like conditions of that period.
If people are there by choice theres no slave-like about it. Someone is either working by choice or not, theres no middle ground. If someone keeps slaves, the individual should be prosecuted.

Hm, I wonder what effect a worker's revolution and subsequent economic collapse in Asia Major would have in America? Hm, I wonder how our consumption habits (providing low-priced goods, as you said) could precipitate that?
It could be bad!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I never said that that the Revolutions were not related to labor and economic conditions, which is essentially a catch all.
It is not a catch-all, but allow me to more specifically relate my use of the term labor:

I use labor in the Marxian sense, which implies several things beyond merely physical labor. Labor conditions, then, are meant to imply a broad spectrum of social and economic conditions which are interrelated with the production of living labor - i.e., proportionate wages, real wages, the social relations of production, capital markets, and, in the sense you are using it, physical labor. Therefore, most revolutions are inexorably linked with labor conditions. You subjugate a population long enough with another class exhibiting extreme excess and you will create resentment; rightfully or wrongfully, disparity breeds Socialism.

Ironically enough, I agree with your chronology of the French Revolution, but disagree with your interpretation. You said:

I interpret this to mean that it is an indictment on a corrupt government, by capitalist (the merchant class), not a backlash against capitalist working conditions in an industrial environment.

Also, keep in mind that this was prior to the industrial revolution and peasants in France were often small scale farmers working for nobles (the government), not industrial workers working for capitalists.
The French Nobles of Louis Court were not necessarily part of the Monarchy, so I am unsure from where you make this assumption - a member of court (Noble) is merely an individual and/or family of substantial enough wealth to be considered worthy of the Royalty's presence. Likewise, the Noble Class was predicated upon property and wealth entitlement, and not governmental control. So, the revolt against these conditions was not a revolt strictly against a corrupt government, but a revolt against economic disparity. The mercantile class wished for the economic market to be equally accessible for all. While government interference was a primary impetus, it was not the primary impetus.

You seem to be projecting your opinions on 21st Century governmental economic policy onto a completely divergent situation in the 19 century.

In Russia prior to the Revolution, it wasn't merely economic disparity, it was slavery. Serfs were tied to the land and unable to make their own income. They had been in that status for centuries. In addition, the government on all levels was corrupt, and had insane taxes to pay for WW1, which also created famines.
Before I address my comments in your last paragraph, let me address the historical inconsistencies in your first paragraph:

Firstly, Serfdom did not directly precede the Bolshevik Revolution, as Nicholas's Father himself (Aleksander) had emancipated the Serfs from their private landowners. The Revolution occurred very early in the Twentieth Century, and was a direct result of deplorable industrial working conditions. The Emancipation Act had caused a mass migration of former Serfs to Urban Centers seeking wage-work. As in other agrarian-to-urban migrations, working conditions were cramped, inequitable, and disgusting. These disgusting conditions precipitated massive strikes, holdouts and attempts at Union Formations preceding the eventual 1917 Revolution. As I have said, the October Revolution is a direct result of labor and/or class struggle, and not a revolt against corrupt Government. Lenin's primary documents reflect this very clearly.

Further, even in Imperial Russia, Serfs constituted only 40% of the Peasants, with the other 40% making an independent, though deplorable living; therefore, your assertion that this was a revolt strictly - or even primarily - against the Government is also inconsistent with History. Serfdom was in fact a Private Process of Capital, and not necessarily taking place on Government-Controlled land. So, yes, the Bolshevik Revolution was preceded by these events, but against a Capitalist Class, not the Government solely.

Industrialism was nowhere to be found in Russia. It was the most backwards country in Europe. You could easily call pre-Russian Revolution Russia the antithesis of capitalism.
And? You seem to be failing to realize I am not suggesting this revolutionary process will occur in America. Let me quote myself again:

I was speaking exactly about conditions such as in China and India (even mentioned it) which DO mirror the slave-like conditions of that period. Hm, I wonder what effect a worker's revolution and subsequent economic collapse in Asia Major would have in America? Hm, I wonder how our consumption habits (providing low-priced goods, as you said) could precipitate that?
Of course revolution would not occur in America as a result of labor conditions, why do you keep suggesting I am insinuating as such? My comments started off as follows:

Obviously, the current corporate production model - necessity to produce mass quantities and relatively low price-points dictates need for mass labour at extremely low price-points - has implicit ramifications for the living labour contained therein. This in itself is an intrinsic aspect of global consumption practices, and has direct, primary effects on the greater world economy. When considering 'ideal' systems, one must consider production and consumption; if - and as I was alluding to - corporate entities are allowed to completely forego labour restrictions, they will exhaust their supply of labor by some means: Revolution, or attrition are classic examples. Herein, the Irrationality of Rationality manifests itself: When all goals lead to increased value, all other aspects become last in the fray - i.e., constantly abusing a workforce can lead to revolution or attrition, necessarily exerting detrimental effects on the Economy (both localized and/or national and/or global in scale).
Quite obviously, the consumptive aspect was meant to imply our ostentatious consumption, and the productive aspect was meant to imply the deplorable conditions under which such goods are produced. In Pre-Industrial Russia the bolsheviks

So, if I'm a Taiwanese factory owner, and I close my factory, I'm condemning people to death? What did these people do prior to my factory? They're so helpless that only the charity of a benevolent factory owner can keep them alive? PLEASE, give your fellow man some credit.
I apologize for my naivety. It has merely slipped my mind that if not working for ten cents a day making tennis shoes, a Taiwanese worker has the option of working in Information Systems! PLEASE, get a grip on reality.

You're twisting my use of the word equality. I use that word to mean free of physical force or coercion. IE on equal footing, level playing field.
As usual, Rob, you are twisting the classical use of a word. This is what equality means:

Equal

=
e·qual [ee-kwuhl] adjective, noun, verb, e·qualed, e·qual·ing or (especially British) e·qualled, e·qual·ling.
–adjective

1. as great as; the same as (often fol. by to or with): The velocity of sound is not equal to that of light.
2. like or alike in quantity, degree, value, etc.; of the same rank, ability, merit, etc.: two students of equal brilliance.
3. evenly proportioned or balanced: an equal contest.
4. uniform in operation or effect: equal laws.
5. adequate or sufficient in quantity or degree: The supply is equal to the demand.
6. having adequate powers, ability, or means: He was equal to the task.
7. level, as a plain.
8. tranquil or undisturbed: to confront death with an equal mind.
9. impartial or equitable.
–noun
10. a person or thing that is equal.
–verb (used with object)
11. to be or become equal to; meet or match: So far the rate of production doesn't equal the demand. If A equals B and B equals C, then A equals C.
12. to make or do something equal to: No matter how he tries, he can't equal his brother's achievements.

Equality

E*qual"i*ty\, n.; pl. Equalities. [L. aequalitas, fr. aequalis equal. See Equal.]

1. The condition or quality of being equal; agreement in quantity or degree as compared; likeness in bulk, value, rank, properties, etc.; as, the equality of two bodies in length or thickness; an equality of rights.

Again, you cannot simply pick and choose to completely manipulate words from their accepted, verified, and classical uses to fit your argument. Being free of physical force means uncoerced, not equal. Equality means that the options you may exercise as a result of not being coerced are analogous to each other.

The dictionary's definition does not seem to equate to yours.

You seem to consistently try to find the most emotion evoking imagery in order to show how 'unequal' the free market is.

Believe it or not, people survived without factories. They make the choice to work there.
Inequality is the Free Market! When selling your wage, you enter into an agreement that your services are worth more than the wage you are being payed. You accept this discrepancy as a means to subsist as you do not directly produce the things you need. Even pundits of Free Markets accept this, and merely move on as a consequence. As I have said, your conceptualizations of these economic processes are very far from the classical definitions.

And, as I have said, the choice between two alternatives is not choice. Strange, that such a Libertarian as yourself is so concretely and selectively defining choice. I would define choice as the ability to define circumstances (such as in a Western-sense), not being forced to 'choose' between two horrible alternatives.

I never brought American Corporate Workers into the context. I was reacting to what you said in the previous post about revolution being a response against poor labor conditions.
You did, though. I was, always have been, and will continue to, refer to these poor labor conditions as a relation occurring in Peripheral Nations. I have quoted myself above and reiterate that same sentiment now. The point, which you may have glossed over, is that such conditions rise as a function of low-value, affordable goods in an ideal capitalist market; the initial point, then, of bringing this up, was the idiom that what is ideal for one population's consumption is necessarily detrimental (to certain degrees) to another - i.e., when one's speaks about the effects and/or possible benefits and/or possible detriments of any economic system, one must consider how the value in that system is created and exchanged - i.e., the form that labor takes.

In this case, low price-points for goods dictate relatively low value invested in them; this essentially means reducing labor costs via either machinery, or relatively cheap labor (relative to the intended price of the good). This relativity has created labor conditions which do very closely mimic the labor conditions of previous revolutionary epochs.

If people are there by choice theres no slave-like about it. Someone is either working by choice or not, theres no middle ground. If someone keeps slaves, the individual should be prosecuted.
The conditions in which they work is the comparison, Rob; not the 'theoretical nature' of their employment. Please, let us try to be objective here.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
I would suggest it is the scale and ubiquitousness of the current corporate entity which allows them to mitigate governmental regulations (health, labor, environment) in order to perpetuate the chasm in both income and skill: Highly developed, highly educated, and highly skilled workers which dictate the direction of business, and low developed, low educated, and low skilled workers 'driving the gears', so to speak. Such has been the corporate model for some time, and for this reason I brought up McDonald's!
Such has in fact been the corporate-capitalist model since the Weavers' Rebellion & the original assertion of the lassez-faire myth. The Ur-Corporation was the British East India Company, against whom the American colonists rebelled as surely as they did against the Crown - reasonable, since the Crown & most of the House of Lords were shareholders & not at all reluctant to enact laws & policies intended to, um, 'enhance their investment'.

Public policy toward corporations in the US following the Revolution were strict to the point of being both hobbling and punitive: the Founders wanted to make sure that no such link-up between government and what was at the time called "the Money power" ever occurred in this country. It wasn't until after the Civil War that these original shackles began to be struck from the corporation - on the grounds, believe it or not, that corporations were IN FACT 'persons' as defined by the 14th amendment (ain't that a kick in the head?).

I urge anyone who has an opinion about corporations to go to www.gangsofamerica.com - read the pdf of the book that's posted there. You're missing almost ALL of the facts until you do.

As well, your example A is quite analogous to my allusion to McDonald's and (I believe) made for the same purpose: To elucidate the inheret lack of fairness in the current market which would be greatly exacerbated in the face of a Pure Market. Corporate Entities such as McDonald's/Wal-Mart and so on are tantamount to Perfect Competition: They dictate price-points and the ability to compete through control of the primary-input goods of their respective services. If (say) Company A controls supply and demand, then the concept of Pure Competition is nothing more than an abstraction; such would occur in a 'Free Market', and such is the inherent contradiction within a 'Free Market'.
Just so. In the case of Wal-Mart, they used their bulk to both save and break a great American success story: Levi, Strauss - makers of the iconic, original blue jeans. In a stellar example of what I call 'bully capitalism', Wal-Mart made a then-struggling Levis a devilish offer it couldn't refuse: a single order, large enough to save the company - at a price per pair that was so low the jeans could no longer be made in the US. All US Levis plants were closed, and no Levis have been made in this country since.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I urge anyone who has an opinion about corporations to go to www.gangsofamerica.com - read the pdf of the book that's posted there. You're missing almost ALL of the facts until you do.
I am just beginning to read this now, seems fascinating. It takes a very similar theoretical stance to C. Wright Mills' Power Elite; Mills begins from the same historical perspective and traces that development through contemporary (relative to the time he was writing) power relations. You are quite well read, so I assume you are already familiar with Power Elite!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just so. In the case of Wal-Mart, they used their bulk to both save and break a great American success story: Levi, Strauss - makers of the iconic, original blue jeans. In a stellar example of what I call 'bully capitalism', Wal-Mart made a then-struggling Levis a devilish offer it couldn't refuse: a single order, large enough to save the company - at a price per pair that was so low the jeans could no longer be made in the US. All US Levis plants were closed, and no Levis have been made in this country since.
Would any more jeans have been made in the US if Levis had closed down instead?

Not disagreeing with your overall point, but merely this example. Had Walmart bought out the stock of Levis and forced them to open plants overseas it might be different. But bailing them out with an order of large enough capital to keep doors open vs doors closing isn't quite the same.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
I am just beginning to read this now, seems fascinating. It takes a very similar theoretical stance to C. Wright Mills' Power Elite; Mills begins from the same historical perspective and traces that development through contemporary (relative to the time he was writing) power relations. You are quite well read, so I assume you are already familiar with Power Elite!
I'm not familiar with it, but I will look into it!

I'm a student of history and human nature, an observer of politics, and a jack-leg philosopher & base my conclusions on what I see as much as or more than on what I read (a professor of mine once described my perspective as catholic in breadth and byzantine in complexity...).

I'm also a Constitutional strict-constructionist who combines 'original-intent' and 'living-document' sensibilities...which guess leaves me akin to Kipling's 'harumphrodite'... :rofl:

BTW, Mullet - you might also find fruit in Kirkpatrick Sale's "Rebels Against The Future"; while it focuses on the Weavers' Rebellion (the Luddites), it illuminates much about the rise of what we might call 'Adam Smith capitalism'.

Last edited:
Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not familiar with it, but I will look into it!

I'm a student of history and human nature, an observer of politics, and a jack-leg philosopher & base my conclusions on what I see as much as or more than on what I read (a professor of mine once described my perspective as catholic in breadth and byzantine in complexity...).

I'm also a Constitutional strict-constructionist who combines 'original-intent' and 'living-document' sensibilities...which guess leaves me akin to Kipling's 'harumphrodite'... :rofl:
You would enjoy Power Elite. Mills famously said: “Perhaps the most fruitful distinction with which the sociological imagination works is between 'the personal troubles of milieu' and 'the public issues of social structure…”. This was a small part of his book - and concept - The Sociological Imagination. The greater concept of sociological imagination is to guide the layman to socially and historically place the events of his life; avoiding anomic periods and concepts of social distance.

Mills himself was quite the amalgam between the historical conflict perspective of Marx; the Rational Bureaucratic stance of Weber; the Post-Structuralism critical approach of Foucault and; the anomic principles of Durkheim. His works are very insightful in respects to the creation and maintenance of social structures, and how these complex mechanisms reflexively alter the lives of real individuals. I call him, "common sense Sociology", as he does not work on the level of abstraction whatsoever.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Would any more jeans have been made in the US if Levis had closed down instead?

Not disagreeing with your overall point, but merely this example. Had Walmart bought out the stock of Levis and forced them to open plants overseas it might be different. But bailing them out with an order of large enough capital to keep doors open vs doors closing isn't quite the same.
You seem to be missing the point: the order did NOT allow them to keep the doors open. Levi, Strauss now only exists as an office, not a manufacturer: those US jobs are now chinese jobs, and Levis are just a brand.

You may not have noticed that Wal-Mart has used such tactics (coupled with the driving under of independently-owned "competitors" *) to drive the brunt of US manufacturing jobs to China, Malaysia & elsewhere, retaining a scant handful of clerical positions to represent the american manufacturing that both supported this nation and inspired the envy of the world.

Is that what you guys wanted?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, and as I said I didn't disagree with your overall point, just that specific example. If a company is going out of business anyway the net difference in jobs on US soil is 0 as they would be gone either way.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
As I said, they were struggling - not going out of business.

I reiterate my question to you: if this what you guys want? Americans out of work so Mexicans & Chinese can do better? What does 'Buy American' mean when things aren't MADE in America - only sold here?

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established

I reiterate my question to you: if this what you guys want? Americans out of work so Mexicans & Chinese can do better? What does 'Buy American' mean when things aren't MADE in America - only sold here?
To me, this has always been a "have your cake and eat it too question".

Politicians on both sides always talk about strengthening the middle class and increasing the number of educated workers, while at the same time advocating American factory work?

Manufacturing work should not be middle class pay. The work is unskilled insofar as it requires minimal education and minimal training.

Why should companies remain in the US, be forced by politicians and unions to pay manual labor what amounts to middle class wages. Now Obama is seeking to strengthen unions, by getting rid of secret ballots, and punish companies that attempt to take their labor elsewhere. We're getting into a Catch 22 situation for US manufacturing companies.

Some jobs should not be middle class. Mullet mentioned several times that overly cheap goods can hinder an economy. Overly expensive labor can most definitely have the same effect.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Although last few days i've been disagreeing with rob a bit, on this one he's right. Manufacturing is dead in the USA, at least as far as mass production to provide jobs for middle class. Artisan/luxury grade production is here to stay, but but mass production will be china + indias place for a long time. You can thank unions for part of that, but even without the unions it would have happened. Unless of course the middle class american worker is willing to live their lifestyle roughly like the way the chinese and indians do, but a family of 5 in 400sqft that doesn't have central air or a phone doesn't exactly sound so hot.
Protectionist policies could manage to bring those jobs back short term, but the overall backlash would be horrible. Countries would loose further respect for the US, and we'd have no outlet for our goods. It would be a circle jerk in essence, we'd be able to manufacture, but only able to sell to ourselves.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
It is not a catch-all, but allow me to more specifically relate my use of the term labor:

I use labor in the Marxian sense, which implies several things beyond merely physical labor. Labor conditions, then, are meant to imply a broad spectrum of social and economic conditions which are interrelated with the production of living labor - i.e., proportionate wages, real wages, the social relations of production, capital markets, and, in the sense you are using it, physical labor. Therefore, most revolutions are inexorably linked with labor conditions. You subjugate a population long enough with another class exhibiting extreme excess and you will create resentment; rightfully or wrongfully, disparity breeds Socialism.
I agree with everything you said except the last line. I think a more accurate statement would be: breeds a climate that is susceptible to revolution.

The French Nobles of Louis Court were not necessarily part of the Monarchy, so I am unsure from where you make this assumption - a member of court (Noble) is merely an individual and/or family of substantial enough wealth to be considered worthy of the Royalty's presence. Likewise, the Noble Class was predicated upon property and wealth entitlement, and not governmental control. So, the revolt against these conditions was not a revolt strictly against a corrupt government, but a revolt against economic disparity. The mercantile class wished for the economic market to be equally accessible for all. While government interference was a primary impetus, it was not the primary impetus.

You seem to be projecting your opinions on 21st Century governmental economic policy onto a completely divergent situation in the 19 century.
My understanding is that it was a feudalistic system. The Nobles controlled land and paid a portion of their taxes as a tribute to the king. Yes, it was economic inequality, but government abuses, such as Versailles did not help matters. Inability to the monarchy to adapt to a changing world while at the same time, massive debt, heavy taxes, and wasteful spending created an environment
susceptible to revolution. Yes, there was massive inequality of wealth, but I think the more immediate causes were hunger and abuses.

Before I address my comments in your last paragraph, let me address the historical inconsistencies in your first paragraph:

Firstly, Serfdom did not directly precede the Bolshevik Revolution, as Nicholas's Father himself (Aleksander) had emancipated the Serfs from their private landowners. The Revolution occurred very early in the Twentieth Century, and was a direct result of deplorable industrial working conditions. The Emancipation Act had caused a mass migration of former Serfs to Urban Centers seeking wage-work. As in other agrarian-to-urban migrations, working conditions were cramped, inequitable, and disgusting. These disgusting conditions precipitated massive strikes, holdouts and attempts at Union Formations preceding the eventual 1917 Revolution. As I have said, the October Revolution is a direct result of labor and/or class struggle, and not a revolt against corrupt Government. Lenin's primary documents reflect this very clearly.

Further, even in Imperial Russia, Serfs constituted only 40% of the Peasants, with the other 40% making an independent, though deplorable living; therefore, your assertion that this was a revolt strictly - or even primarily - against the Government is also inconsistent with History. Serfdom was in fact a Private Process of Capital, and not necessarily taking place on Government-Controlled land. So, yes, the Bolshevik Revolution was preceded by these events, but against a Capitalist Class, not the Government solely.
You are correct. Its been awhile. I'd forgotten about the riots in the street in St Petersburg. I do remember that Bolshevik rhetoric did help get those riots going.

However, you can't lose site of the more immediate cause of the revolution. Starvation. There was a war going on and Russia was getting their ass kicked. Add in a second major cause. Conscription. People were forced to fight. Officers would shoot anyone who retreated on the battlefield. Finally, Nicholas was an incompetent and unpopular Tsar. The last thing your country needs in an atmosphere of starvation and war is a dude running the country everybody hates.

As I have said, the October Revolution is a direct result of labor and/or class struggle, and not a revolt against corrupt Government. Lenin's primary documents reflect this very clearly.
What would you expect Lenin's primary documents to say?! Considering he was justifying the revolution based upon the works of Marx, wouldn't that interpretation make sense? Primary source documents will always have an author's bias.

I apologize for my naivety. It has merely slipped my mind that if not working for ten cents a day making tennis shoes, a Taiwanese worker has the option of working in Information Systems! PLEASE, get a grip on reality.
I guess someone like Wang Yung-ching doesn't fit in your narrow world view. he was the son of a poor tea farmer in Formosa and through hard work and determination built a company that became one of the largest in Taiwan.

I guess its better to talk about how helpless and dependent people are?

http://blogs.straitstimes.com/2008/10/17/plastic-king-the-real-son-of-taiwan

As usual, Rob, you are twisting the classical use of a word. This is what equality means:

Equal

=
e·qual [ee-kwuhl] adjective, noun, verb, e·qualed, e·qual·ing or (especially British) e·qualled, e·qual·ling.
–adjective

1. as great as; the same as (often fol. by to or with): The velocity of sound is not equal to that of light.
2. like or alike in quantity, degree, value, etc.; of the same rank, ability, merit, etc.: two students of equal brilliance.
4. uniform in operation or effect: equal laws.
5. adequate or sufficient in quantity or degree: The supply is equal to the demand.
6. having adequate powers, ability, or means: He was equal to the task.
7. level, as a plain.
8. tranquil or undisturbed: to confront death with an equal mind.
9. impartial or equitable.
–noun
10. a person or thing that is equal.
–verb (used with object)
11. to be or become equal to; meet or match: So far the rate of production doesn't equal the demand. If A equals B and B equals C, then A equals C.
12. to make or do something equal to: No matter how he tries, he can't equal his brother's achievements.

Equality

E*qual"i*ty\, n.; pl. Equalities. [L. aequalitas, fr. aequalis equal. See Equal.]

1. The condition or quality of being equal; agreement in quantity or degree as compared; likeness in bulk, value, rank, properties, etc.; as, the equality of two bodies in length or thickness; an equality of rights.

Again, you cannot simply pick and choose to completely manipulate words from their accepted, verified, and classical uses to fit your argument. Being free of physical force means uncoerced, not equal. Equality means that the options you may exercise as a result of not being coerced are analogous to each other.

The dictionary's definition does not seem to equate to yours.

On equal footing.

You're right, communists and socialist tend to use equality as an end state. Capitalists see it as the natural state.

IE- All men are created equal.

Inequality is the Free Market! When selling your wage, you enter into an agreement that your services are worth more than the wage you are being payed. You accept this discrepancy as a means to subsist as you do not directly produce the things you need. Even pundits of Free Markets accept this, and merely move on as a consequence. As I have said, your conceptualizations of these economic processes are very far from the classical definitions.
People are paid what their services are worth. Its supply and demand. Its almost a formula: BA in History from University of Maryland, no previous experience, worth X amount. CPA from University of Chicago, internship, worth X amount.

And, as I have said, the choice between two alternatives is not choice. Strange, that such a Libertarian as yourself is so concretely and selectively defining choice. I would define choice as the ability to define circumstances (such as in a Western-sense), not being forced to 'choose' between two horrible alternatives.
You are the one who said there are two alternatives. Keep in mind, if there was no factory there would be no choice in your eyes. An industrious person such as Wang Yung-Ching made the choice to build a business and a factory giving millions a situation where they even had a choice.

Choice is based on ability. If you are dumb and weak, you have less choices than if you're smart and strong. That is the nature of capitalism. Ability is the defining trait.

You did, though. I was, always have been, and will continue to, refer to these poor labor conditions as a relation occurring in Peripheral Nations. I have quoted myself above and reiterate that same sentiment now. The point, which you may have glossed over, is that such conditions rise as a function of low-value, affordable goods in an ideal capitalist market; the initial point, then, of bringing this up, was the idiom that what is ideal for one population's consumption is necessarily detrimental (to certain degrees) to another - i.e., when one's speaks about the effects and/or possible benefits and/or possible detriments of any economic system, one must consider how the value in that system is created and exchanged - i.e., the form that labor takes.
In this case, low price-points for goods dictate relatively low value invested in them; this essentially means reducing labor costs via either machinery, or relatively cheap labor (relative to the intended price of the good). This relativity has created labor conditions which do very closely mimic the labor conditions of previous revolutionary epochs.
Can you expand on this?
The conditions in which they work is the comparison, Rob; not the 'theoretical nature' of their employment. Please, let us try to be objective here.
There is nothing theoretical about being a slave. You either are, or you are not. Wang Yung-ching is either forced to work somewhere or is not. If he is not they are free to pursue their dreams. That is the essence of freedom and capitalism.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think a more accurate statement would be: breeds a climate that is susceptible to revolution.
And, in contemporary history, Socialism is the most attractive facet for Revolution becomes of the entrenchment of modern Capitalism. Most of these revolutions have been a revolt against a strict bifurcation of classes: An impoverished class juxtaposed quite clearly against a class reveling in excess - such is the framework Socialism seeks to overcome, and such is the battle-cry of recent revolutionaries (Lenin, Che, Castro, Chavez, and so on and so on). This is not to say Socialism is the proper avenue, because it is not, but merely expounding what I feel to be accurate history here.

My understanding is that it was a feudalistic system. The Nobles controlled land and paid a portion of their taxes as a tribute to the king. Yes, it was economic inequality, but government abuses, such as Versailles did not help matters. Inability to the monarchy to adapt to a changing world while at the same time, massive debt, heavy taxes, and wasteful spending created an environment
susceptible to revolution. Yes, there was massive inequality of wealth, but I think the more immediate causes were hunger and abuses.
The hunger and abuses were/are predicated upon inequity, though. To me that seems rather clear. In respects to the Feudal System, only approximately 40% of the agricultural system was divided as such, and by the point of the Bolshevik Revolution, Serfdom was completely abolished. As I stated, the end of Serfdom precipitated two things: a) a mass movement of farmers to industrial centers and; b) the remaining agricultural centers being purchased by Private Landowners who would subsequently contract farmers to earn Capital for their work.

You are correct. Its been awhile. I'd forgotten about the riots in the street in St Petersburg. I do remember that Bolshevik rhetoric did help get those riots going.

However, you can't lose site of the more immediate cause of the revolution. Starvation. There was a war going on and Russia was getting their ass kicked. Add in a second major cause. Conscription. People were forced to fight. Officers would shoot anyone who retreated on the battlefield. Finally, Nicholas was an incompetent and unpopular Tsar. The last thing your country needs in an atmosphere of starvation and war is a dude running the country everybody hates.
Why was their starvation, though? That is the precipitating question you must ask yourself. Conscription and the Tsar's popularity are secondary reasons; merely fuel to the fire, so to speak. The revolt's primary cause was the conditions of Industrializing Russia. The Bolsheviks sold the people an idea of parity and equality.

What would you expect Lenin's primary documents to say?! Considering he was justifying the revolution based upon the works of Marx, wouldn't that interpretation make sense? Primary source documents will always have an author's bias.
Of course they were and are bias, but that is beside the point. When you have the revolutionary who in large part directed, planned and executed the Coup d'etat saying, in more words, "I led the Revolution for these following reasons", I would tend to take his word. I meant to direct you to the reason he began his quest, not the pervading conditions of the time. However, even in that respect, the precipitating questions speak to my point as well.

Here, you may disagree, but the Revolution was literally known as, "The Worker's Revolution". It is widely accepted that labor was at the forefront of this debacle - though exacerbated by many of the conditions you mention. Your version of history does not fit here, so to speak.

I guess someone like Wang Yung-ching doesn't fit in your narrow world view. he was the son of a poor tea farmer in Formosa and through hard work and determination built a company that became one of the largest in Taiwan.

I guess its better to talk about how helpless and dependent people are?
Do you honestly feel that the one example you tried so desperately to find is representative of conditions in that country as a whole? You are reaching here.

On equal footing.

You're right, communists and socialist tend to use equality as an end state. Capitalists see it as the natural state.

IE- All men are created equal.
I am not a Socialist or a Communist whatsoever; my ability to properly interpret the etymology of a word does not speak to my Political Constitution. However, if you need to convince yourselves of such things to justify your argument, than so be it.

That being said, equal footing would equate to two individuals given the same access to education, same financial backing, in the same cultural environment. If one succeeds and one fails, it is because the successful individual worked harder.

If you feel you grew up on equal footing with a caste-worker in India, then, once again, your concept of equality is terribly warped. You may feel, as I do, that you and this individual have inalienable rights as human beings, and are equal in a moral sense; however, pragmatically, you are not on equal footing whatsoever.

People are paid what their services are worth. Its supply and demand. Its almost a formula: BA in History from University of Maryland, no previous experience, worth X amount. CPA from University of Chicago, internship, worth X amount.
It is a formula; exactly the one I suggested. Even fervent professional free-marketeers except the inequality of the Market; why are you so averse to?

This is not to characterize the Free Market as 'bad' or 'good', but merely to be realistic. If your employer did not feel your services were worth more than what he/she payed you, then they would not purchase them - that is an inequitable exchange of value. They only buy your services under the assumption that you will create more value than you expend; that IS Capitalism, Rob. Ask Mr.Smith yourself!

Now, this is not a bad thing because, in return, your employer offers you the lowest common denominator between values: Capital in the form of moneys. You take this moneys because you do not and most likely cannot produce the things you need to subsist: Food, clothing, shelter and so forth.

Further, I feel this debate very closely represents a fundamental discourse in your country as a whole: The debate between the mutually exclusive properties of Liberty and Equality. In order to have complete Liberty (i.e., Market Freedom) you must forego Equality as a consequence; in order to have complete Equality (i.e., parity) you must forego personal and corporate Liberties to make sacrifices.

In light of that debate, I realize now the mistake you are making is confusing equilibrium and equality as a synonymous; they are not. The Free Market, then, tends towards equilibrium, not equality - that is, it may self-regulate itself out of recessions, depressions, and booms, but this equilibrium takes the form of the same wealth bifurcation as previously. As I have said, most pundits of the Free Market merely accept this as a consequence of Liberty and accept is flaws. You, fittingly enough, are constantly trying to "have your cake and eat it too".

You are the one who said there are two alternatives. Keep in mind, if there was no factory there would be no choice in your eyes. An industrious person such as Wang Yung-Ching made the choice to build a business and a factory giving millions a situation where they even had a choice.
Explain to me, then, using real terms and values, the possible alternatives of a Taiwanese Factory Worker. I want to know why they are presented possible alternatives (not theoretically and in an Rand moral sense, but pragmatically and materially); what processes of corporate-capital go into determining and shaping those alternatives and; finally, what resources are available to do so.

Choice is based on ability. If you are dumb and weak, you have less choices than if you're smart and strong. That is the nature of capitalism. Ability is the defining trait.
No, choice is based on environment. If a strong and smart individual (say), and a dumb and weak individual, are both given the choice to either be shot in the face or jump off of a cliff, then ability has nothing whatsoever to do with choice. Their choices were presented to them as a consequence of their environment, and their abilities only factor into how they mediate that presentation of choices.

Now, absolute choice would be necessarily based upon ability: In a completely fair and ideal environment, one could dictate choice based on ability, and therefore your definition would apply; however, and once again, we come to a crossroads of the idyllic conceptualization of a Free Market, and reality. I choose to address the latter, while you the former. So be it.

Can you expand on this?
Are you being serious?

There is nothing theoretical about being a slave. You either are, or you are not. Wang Yung-ching is either forced to work somewhere or is not. If he is not they are free to pursue their dreams. That is the essence of freedom and capitalism.
Again, this is one individual out of 3.5 billion under the same circumstances. I think BW is right, you are losing sense of scope.

DrkZoolander

DrkZoolander

Awards
McCain got a HUGE boost to say the least now that this taped conversation between obama and the sf chronicle has hit the television,web,and radio.Things have turned and very fast.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
And, in contemporary history, Socialism is the most attractive facet for Revolution becomes of the entrenchment of modern Capitalism. Most of these revolutions have been a revolt against a strict bifurcation of classes: An impoverished class juxtaposed quite clearly against a class reveling in excess - such is the framework Socialism seeks to overcome, and such is the battle-cry of recent revolutionaries (Lenin, Che, Castro, Chavez, and so on and so on). This is not to say Socialism is the proper avenue, because it is not, but merely expounding what I feel to be accurate history here.
I agree that it has an appealing message to poor masses: you can steal from people that have more than you....and oh by the way, its morally and legally sanctioned. What's ironic about each of those examples is that 'movements for the people' is created led ruthless, bloodthirsty autocrat. It makes me question the difference between this and Hitler using racial hate in a period of economic decay to unite people and build a power base. I think any unifying message given from a charismatic leader at a time of discord can have the same effect.

The hunger and abuses were/are predicated upon inequity, though. To me that seems rather clear. In respects to the Feudal System, only approximately 40% of the agricultural system was divided as such, and by the point of the Bolshevik Revolution, Serfdom was completely abolished. As I stated, the end of Serfdom precipitated two things: a) a mass movement of farmers to industrial centers and; b) the remaining agricultural centers being purchased by Private Landowners who would subsequently contract farmers to earn Capital for their work.

Why was their starvation, though? That is the precipitating question you must ask yourself. Conscription and the Tsar's popularity are secondary reasons; merely fuel to the fire, so to speak. The revolt's primary cause was the conditions of Industrializing Russia. The Bolsheviks sold the people an idea of parity and equality.

Of course they were and are bias, but that is beside the point. When you have the revolutionary who in large part directed, planned and executed the Coup d'etat saying, in more words, "I led the Revolution for these following reasons", I would tend to take his word. I meant to direct you to the reason he began his quest, not the pervading conditions of the time. However, even in that respect, the precipitating questions speak to my point as well.

Here, you may disagree, but the Revolution was literally known as, "The Worker's Revolution". It is widely accepted that labor was at the forefront of this debacle - though exacerbated by many of the conditions you mention. Your version of history does not fit here, so to speak.
OK. Well said.

Do you honestly feel that the one example you tried so desperately to find is representative of conditions in that country as a whole? You are reaching here.
Yes. It shows that there is class mobility and that workers do have choices beyond "jumping off a cliff and shooting themselves in the head."

I am not a Socialist or a Communist whatsoever; my ability to properly interpret the etymology of a word does not speak to my Political Constitution. However, if you need to convince yourselves of such things to justify your argument, than so be it.

That being said, equal footing would equate to two individuals given the same access to education, same financial backing, in the same cultural environment. If one succeeds and one fails, it is because the successful individual worked harder.

If you feel you grew up on equal footing with a caste-worker in India, then, once again, your concept of equality is terribly warped. You may feel, as I do, that you and this individual have inalienable rights as human beings, and are equal in a moral sense; however, pragmatically, you are not on equal footing whatsoever.
I'm not trying to morally justify caste system in India. I think caste is the antithesis to equality.

You keep touching on extreme cases of "injustice" worldwide. How would you propose government intervention fix the wealth inequalities?

I've heard nothing from government intervention that would even begin to reach out to the issues you use to critique laissez faire capitalism.

It is a formula; exactly the one I suggested. Even fervent professional free-marketeers except the inequality of the Market; why are you so averse to?

This is not to characterize the Free Market as 'bad' or 'good', but merely to be realistic. If your employer did not feel your services were worth more than what he/she payed you, then they would not purchase them - that is an inequitable exchange of value. They only buy your services under the assumption that you will create more value than you expend; that IS Capitalism, Rob. Ask Mr.Smith yourself!

Now, this is not a bad thing because, in return, your employer offers you the lowest common denominator between values: Capital in the form of moneys. You take this moneys because you do not and most likely cannot produce the things you need to subsist: Food, clothing, shelter and so forth.
I'm not arguing that business makes money off of labor....why else would they hire somebody. I just stated that payment was not arbitrary, that supply and demand sets how much labor is worth.

Further, I feel this debate very closely represents a fundamental discourse in your country as a whole: The debate between the mutually exclusive properties of Liberty and Equality. In order to have complete Liberty (i.e., Market Freedom) you must forego Equality as a consequence; in order to have complete Equality (i.e., parity) you must forego personal and corporate Liberties to make sacrifices.
The problem with what you are saying is that you are taking the term equality out of context (I assume you are referring to 'all men are created equal').

Equality in constitutional terms has to be taken in the context of 18th century Europe. In feudalism, wealth was not earned, but was passed on from generation to generation. That's the same inequality of opportunity as you mentioned in the French Revolution, arising out of the same tension that the bourgeois and the nobles had in France. Framers of the constitution sought to frame their document to end these inequalities. When they stated all men are created equal, it was not in the context you are using, it was to mean that wealth was not a birthright.

In light of that debate, I realize now the mistake you are making is confusing equilibrium and equality as a synonymous; they are not. The Free Market, then, tends towards equilibrium, not equality - that is, it may self-regulate itself out of recessions, depressions, and booms, but this equilibrium takes the form of the same wealth bifurcation as previously. As I have said, most pundits of the Free Market merely accept this as a consequence of Liberty and accept is flaws. You, fittingly enough, are constantly trying to "have your cake and eat it too".
Maybe.

Explain to me, then, using real terms and values, the possible alternatives of a Taiwanese Factory Worker. I want to know why they are presented possible alternatives (not theoretically and in an Rand moral sense, but pragmatically and materially); what processes of corporate-capital go into determining and shaping those alternatives and; finally, what resources are available to do so.
I honestly don't know. I've never been a Taiwanese Factory Worker. However, I don't think you have either. I showed you that in Taiwan its possible to go from a lowly tea farmer, to a business magnate. I'm not sure what evidence you're looking for.

No, choice is based on environment. If a strong and smart individual (say), and a dumb and weak individual, are both given the choice to either be shot in the face or jump off of a cliff, then ability has nothing whatsoever to do with choice. Their choices were presented to them as a consequence of their environment, and their abilities only factor into how they mediate that presentation of choices.
Choice is based on environment? People create their own choices. Believe it or not, the wheel did not always exist. People used to have to carry things everywhere. One innovative individual altered a fundamental of his environment and created a wheel where none existed before him. That fundamentally changed his environment and changed the choices for everyone after him.

Changing our environment is what separates human beings from animals.
Now, absolute choice would be necessarily based upon ability: In a completely fair and ideal environment, one could dictate choice based on ability, and therefore your definition would apply; however, and once again, we come to a crossroads of the idyllic conceptualization of a Free Market, and reality. I choose to address the latter, while you the former. So be it.
Deal.

Again, this is one individual out of 3.5 billion under the same circumstances. I think BW is right, you are losing sense of scope.
I limited my search to Taiwan (22 million people) and found the best illustrator out of the 10 or so "rags to riches" hits I found in the first page.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
McCain got a HUGE boost to say the least now that this taped conversation between obama and the sf chronicle has hit the television,web,and radio.Things have turned and very fast.
particularly in battleground states...

DrkZoolander

DrkZoolander

Awards
particularly in battleground states...
yes thank you,that is the biggest point.Thanks for pointing that out!

not only was it a huge boost,but very much so in the battleground states.This is looking VERY interesting.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
outside of pew's wacky ass results, its funny because battleground states are closing while the national polling is spreading apart again. bizarre election for sure

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree that it has an appealing message to poor masses: you can steal from people that have more than you....and oh by the way, its morally and legally sanctioned. What's ironic about each of those examples is that 'movements for the people' is created led ruthless, bloodthirsty autocrat. It makes me question the difference between this and Hitler using racial hate in a period of economic decay to unite people and build a power base. I think any unifying message given from a charismatic leader at a time of discord can have the same effect.
It has nothing to do with stealing and/or income. I would hope you would realize this by now. Your understanding of Socialism, and more importantly the distinction between Totalitarianism and Socialism is lacking.

Yes. It shows that there is class mobility and that workers do have choices beyond "jumping off a cliff and shooting themselves in the head."
It showed one individual transcended classes. Try harder - much harder.

I'm not trying to morally justify caste system in India. I think caste is the antithesis to equality.

You keep touching on extreme cases of "injustice" worldwide. How would you propose government intervention fix the wealth inequalities?

I've heard nothing from government intervention that would even begin to reach out to the issues you use to critique laissez faire capitalism.
I hate to break this to you, but the Caste System, for example, takes extreme advantage of the need for cheap labor. YOU buying certain products SUPPORTS the Caste System. If this debate is going to continue (and I am being serious) you honestly need to get a firmer grip on the relation of production and consumption.

As well, this is reality; so, please, refrain from telling me I am appealing to world injustices. I would hate for real conditions to infringe on your theoretical market.

I'm not arguing that business makes money off of labor....why else would they hire somebody. I just stated that payment was not arbitrary, that supply and demand sets how much labor is worth.
And? Where did I state it was arbitrary? I am merely expounding that it is necessarily inequitable or Capitalism would not exist.

The problem with what you are saying is that you are taking the term equality out of context (I assume you are referring to 'all men are created equal').
If this was the 18th Century, your definition would apply; however, it is not. Again, this debate is becoming characterized by you twisting words as you wish.

No, you are confusing those terms and; yes, it does tend toward equilibrium and not equality.

I honestly don't know. I've never been a Taiwanese Factory Worker. However, I don't think you have either. I showed you that in Taiwan its possible to go from a lowly tea farmer, to a business magnate. I'm not sure what evidence you're looking for.
In other words, you found a singular example you hoped would tug on my heart strings, and have no objective evidence as to how it could theoretically be repeated.

Choice is based on environment? People create their own choices. Believe it or not, the wheel did not always exist. People used to have to carry things everywhere. One innovative individual altered a fundamental of his environment and created a wheel where none existed before him. That fundamentally changed his environment and changed the choices for everyone after him.
Right, Rob, environment and choice are not linked. So, being born as a Jew in Nazi Germany (say) would not have affected that individual's concept of choice? It would, and does now.

I limited my search to Taiwan (22 million people) and found the best illustrator out of the 10 or so "rags to riches" hits I found in the first page.
Well, if 10 out of 22 million completed such a transition, it must be the rule and not the exception.

You reached incredibly hard in this last reply, me thinks.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Quite an interesting flow in this thread! :D

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
It has nothing to do with stealing and/or income. I would hope you would realize this by now. Your understanding of Socialism, and more importantly the distinction between Totalitarianism and Socialism is lacking.
Please show me an example of Socialism that does not involve Totalitarianism in some form. I can't think of one.

It showed one individual transcended classes. Try harder - much harder.
How many exceptions to the rule does one have show before the rule is invalid?

I hate to break this to you, but the Caste System, for example, takes extreme advantage of the need for cheap labor. YOU buying certain products SUPPORTS the Caste System. If this debate is going to continue (and I am being serious) you honestly need to get a firmer grip on the relation of production and consumption.
Honestly, this is an India problem. The caste system is a problem independent of capitalism. Obviously due to its existence, capitalism has found a way to profit off it, but keep in mind that it predates capitalism by hundreds/thousands of years.

As well, this is reality; so, please, refrain from telling me I am appealing to world injustices. I would hate for real conditions to infringe on your theoretical market.
I said you should explain how government intervention is fixing all these problems you use as justification against free market capitalism. I don't think this is asking too much, as you're stating that intervention works better than the free market economy because of these problems.

If this was the 18th Century, your definition would apply; however, it is not. Again, this debate is becoming characterized by you twisting words as you wish.
There's no twisting involved. I was giving you a backdrop on the use word 'equal' in the constitution. This use explains exactly how I was using 'equal' in describing free market capitalism. I even outlined that it was definition '3' in your definitions of the word equal.

I get the idea that you're nitpicking words I'm saying and not trying to understand the concepts I'm explaining.

In other words, you found a singular example you hoped would tug on my heart strings, and have no objective evidence as to how it could theoretically be repeated.
Again, I ask you, how many exceptions need I find, before a rule is invalidated.

Right, Rob, environment and choice are not linked. So, being born as a Jew in Nazi Germany (say) would not have affected that individual's concept of choice? It would, and does now.
Obviously infringing on the liberties of individuals will infringe on their choices. I'm not going to argue that if you chained me down I would be able to choose anything. But if liberties are not infringed upon, individuals have choices.

Well, if 10 out of 22 million completed such a transition, it must be the rule and not the exception.
10 out 22 million on the first page during one google search in English on the internet.

I could find thousands of rags to riches stories from third world nations if I spent time looking. Yes, these people are the exception, but the fact that they happen shows that the path is open to the truly exceptional.

You reached incredibly hard in this last reply, me thinks.
Nah, you're just a hater. :dance:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A few things:

a) You found one exception - one! To even suggest that this constitutes the rule is so beyond an objective statement that it is not worth addressing.

b) I understand each concept you are using in full; my point, however, is that you do not

c) Define Socialism. Better yet, define the differences between Stalinism, Leninism, Maoism, and Marxism. Then, at such point where you have reached an adequate description, rephrase your first sentence. It is incorrect.

d) I have stated a Neoclassical Synthesis is the lesser of two Evils. Saying one system fails less than the other is hardly a resounding endorsement. I feel, at least, I have acknowledged the detriments of an Interventionist system, while your position borders on faith-like.

e) Again, I feel you are almost completely glossing over the intricate relationship between why your goods cost very little, and the labor which produces them. It is quite a simplistic relationship, in fact. It is also intertwined with capitalism, so to insinuate it is dependent is ridiculous; however, here is your opportunity to show me how it is independent.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Republicans = People who work hard for their money. (Conservative in Canada.)
Democrats = People who want money from people who work hard for their money. (Liberals in Canada.)
therefore
People who've become rich from their hard work will vote Republican. People who're poorer and feel that their somehow getting 'slighted' by the system will vote Democrat.

nofx4110

nofx4110

Awards
Democrats = People who want money from people who work hard for their money. (Liberals in Canada.)
therefore
People who've become rich from their hard work will vote Republican. People who're poorer and feel that their somehow getting 'slighted' by the system will vote Democrat.

So true. Bill Clinton signed the bill to reverse the glass-stegnall act which was made to keep commercial and investment backs separate, and was created in 1929 to keep us from launching ourselves into another depression. Democratic congress empowered Mac and Mae to give out all those sub-prime loans and idiots took them knowing they couldn't afford it. :duel:

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
therefore
Either you do not know that's an insupportable lie, or you don't care.

Partisan formulations and slogans like this don't contribute to anyone's understanding of anything: we have a serious attempt at a conversation here - I'll thank you not to try turning into just another p!ssing match.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
So true. Bill Clinton signed the bill to reverse the glass-stegnall act which was made to keep commercial and investment backs separate, and was created in 1929 to keep us from launching ourselves into another depression. Democratic congress empowered Mac and Mae to give out all those sub-prime loans and idiots took them knowing they couldn't afford it. :duel:
Is it fun ignoring the fact that Clinton had a "Democratic Congress" for only the first 2 years? Yes, Glass-Steagal was overturned on Clinton's watch - to his discredit IMO; but to pretend that the Republicans have NOT rolled back post-Depression financial regulations at every opportunity since the Reagan years is to ignore history entirely.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
my vote is cast

mullet i think you are a little off on a) above. one exception does mean the rule is broken as an absolute and there may be other exceptions, but it doesnt mean there isnt a really high positive correlation

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
my vote is cast

mullet i think you are a little off on a) above. one exception does mean the rule is broken as an absolute and there may be other exceptions, but it doesnt mean there isnt a really high positive correlation
True, in part! It does mean the rule can be broken - i.e., that the rule is not absolute; however, one exception does not a normative standard make!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
therefore
Here is a quick caveat, hopefully displaying to you a greater sense of reality: The Democrats would still be farther right than the Conservative Party of Canada.

nofx4110

nofx4110

Awards
Is it fun ignoring the fact that Clinton had a "Democratic Congress" for only the first 2 years? Yes, Glass-Steagal was overturned on Clinton's watch - to his discredit IMO; but to pretend that the Republicans have NOT rolled back post-Depression financial regulations at every opportunity since the Reagan years is to ignore history entirely.

The Glass-Steagal bill was passed by a Republican congress, signed into action by Clinton. I never said Republicans didn't roll back any regulations, they are just as guilty. Party politics need to be done away with. The forefathers were against them.:hammer: