Matts Log - Journey to 1000 total and a good physique.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Best options are what sounds like something you can tolerate and stick to. It really is that simple. If you work hard consistently with a generally progressive overload you will get stronger.

Some people do better with higher volume, others higher intensity, and others somewhere in between. You won't know until you have put time into training programs. Pick something you are willing to commit to, train it hard and believe in it. Show up and have fun, learn, evaluate. Repeat.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Day 1
Lower Day today
Squats 215x10x3 - these were really tough so I only did 3 - I think that I may change the volume for these in my program to just adjust them down a bit - felt good - just hard to pull off while cutting
Deadlifts 235x10x2 - These felt really good
Lunges - 60lbs back and forth across the gym 3 times
Back extensions - 2 sets bodyweight
Leg Press 1 set of 15
Cardio 20 minutes elliptical/treadmill

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Day 2
Bench 160x10x5
DB Row 50x10x5
DB Press 45x10x5
Chinups/Dips -50x10x3
Inc.CGBP/Inc.Curl - 95x10x3/20x10x3

Great workout today. All my sets felt good and achievable and I got a solid pump as well.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
day 3
off
day 4
Squats 205x10x3
Deadlifts 235x10x2
Lunges 60x10-12x2

This was a great leg workout, felt better than the last for sure, left feeling a good pump everywhere.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Day 5
Another awesome workout. Really pushed hard today to have a compact and intense workout.

Superset
Bench 135x5, 160x10x3 160x8, 135x10
DB Rows 50x10x5

Press 85x10x3

Superset
Chinups/Dips -50x10x3

Reverse Flys 80x10x3

Superset
Incline CGBP 95x10x2
Incline Curl 20x10x2

Had an awesome pump and tried to only take as much rest as I needed.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Try to get a smidge of abs in if you can too - you will only get stronger!

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Try to get a smidge of abs in if you can too - you will only get stronger!
How often do you isolate them in training as a PL guy?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
How often do you isolate them in training as a PL guy?
I was never good for more than 2x a wk because I was lazy. Matt Wenning and many greats do something for their core every single day. Heavy, light w super high reps, static holds, always something. Now that I am battling nerve impingement from my disc herniations I am doing core work every single day.

I believe I've heard Greg Panora and Jimmy Pacifico say they do abs every day. If you are putting big weights over your body you need a strong core. Stability = power transfer. You never see strongmen with weak cores. Even when Derek Poundstone was shredded his core was big as a tree trunk.

Any exercises in particular, could definitely add them in on my lower day
For me it's the McGill Big 3, as keeping the spine out of unnecessary flexion is key for my recovery.

I always felt like Hanging Leg Raises and heavy standing Band Crunches (like 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps heavy) were most useful, as were rolling side planks (which totally suck and are basically part of the McGill Big 3).

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
You're the man, Hyde.
Reps

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You're the man, Hyde.
Reps
I think this will be different if physique is the primary goal, as the vacuum and keeping a tapered waist becomes priority. I know I've read Dexter Jackson has NEVER trained his core in isolation. But he's lifting fairly light compared to his potential limit strength; he has no concern for his numbers.

You wanna push your strength as a focus, I would make it a very serious priority virtually every day. It transfers to everything for 6-10 min a day.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
I think this will be different if physique is the primary goal, as the vacuum and keeping a tapered waist becomes priority. I know I've read Dexter Jackson has NEVER trained his core in isolation. But he's lifting fairly light compared to his potential limit strength; he has no concern for his numbers.

You wanna push your strength as a focus, I would make it a very serious priority virtually every day. It transfers to everything for 6-10 min a day.
Thanks - I'll definitely start working more on my abs - if anything because it may help my slow lower back recovery by giving myself stronger abs.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
And strong abs help brace the spine to prevent micromotion that can aggravate discs. Back fact of the day lol

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Day 6,7,8 off

Day 9
Lower
Squats 135x5, 185x3, 230x8x3
Deadlifts 250x8x2
Lunges 60# across gym
And did a set of weight crunches, leg raises and weighted twists, not much but it was a start to incorporating some abs =P

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
And strong abs help brace the spine to prevent micromotion that can aggravate discs. Back fact of the day lol
I see you're really digging Stu's book!

Subbed in now, too.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Day 6,7,8 off

Day 9
Lower
Deadlifts 250x8x2
Lunges 60# across gym
And did a set of weight crunches, leg raises and weighted twists, not much but it was a start to incorporating some abs =P
No that's perfect. The right attitude isn't murder them, it's doing something EVERY SINGLE DAY so you can be just a bit better than the day before. The Great Wall of China was built with one brick at a time, over and over and over for years and years on end.

I see you're really digging Stu's book!

Subbed in now, too.
It has given me hope to truly make a comeback at some point from all this mess. Not just a hope, but actively pointing me in the right direction and empowered me with the tools/knowledge I needed to get going.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Day 10
Bench 170x8x4
DB Row 55x8x4
Press 100x8x2
Chinups/Dips -45BWx8x2
Reverse Fly 85x10x2
Fly 100x10
Inc.CGBP 105x10
Inc Curl 25x8

Good workout tonight , getting blood taken in the morning, hoping to see the results by the 26th/27th to start next cycle leading into the meet.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Day 6,7,8 off

Day 9
Lower
Deadlifts 250x8x2
Lunges 60# across gym
Well, I can say from experience that jumping back in on ab work where you once were is no bueno! Especially if you work construction and have a lot of bending and twisting the next day.
:yikes:
The DOMS on the abs seem to be the very worst for me. Legs, arms... ehh, I can handle them. Back gets me pretty bad sometimes but abs...... sum-na-birch!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well, I can say from experience that jumping back in on ab work where you once were is no bueno! Especially if you work construction and have a lot of bending and twisting the next day.
:yikes:
The DOMS on the abs seem to be the very worst for me. Legs, arms... ehh, I can handle them. Back gets me pretty bad sometimes but abs...... sum-na-birch!!
Exactly - it's so easy for us to treat it like bicep curls and just go ham, but slow and steady consistent buildup is where it's at.

Ab training is like when people "go on a diet" and make everything radical immediately and burn out in 2 weeks lol

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
So I've been a bit frustrated lately. Everything has been sore at different points lately. Lately my wrists have been really sore benching or pushing in general. Maybe I'm just feeling worn down or its the effects of the cut and lowering my fats but I'm starting to get really annoyed. I was not that motivated last week because I'm just sick of aching lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Are you keeping wrists locked straight on bench or letting them drift back towards your face? Cuz bent-wrist benchin is a big no-no!

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Are you keeping wrists locked straight on bench or letting them drift back towards your face? Cuz bent-wrist benchin is a big no-no!
Hmm, will have to keep this in mind. I won't say it's something I'm 100% conscious of. Cutting probably isn't helping either. Thanks Hyde bro

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Get the bar in your palm and squeeze the hell out of it to activate your wrist flexors which will help keep the wrist joint neutral. Neutral wrist means happier (doesn't mean completely pain free) wrist. This will also help your strength for a couple of reasons. You want the bar as close to centrally loaded over the wrist as possible to minimize the length of any extra lever arm you may be adding into the lift. No extra lever arm = increased force applied directly through the bar. Secondly, it'll increase motor unit recruitment. Higher motor recruitment = higher force production. Win, win.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Thanks for the help guys. Really appreciate it.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Resurrection!!! I'm back y'all. This is how I look these days.

What's good in AM world

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Matthew be sneaking up on us all here, progress is notable brother

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Haha glad to see you guys here. I will begin posting my logs again.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
1476068869733.jpg

Update for this week. I finished running hst for about 12 weeks straight and am now planning on running Texas method for as long as I decide. I am still cutting for another 2 weeks and that will be the end of my cycle and straight into PCT.

To sum up the week this was the important numbers I hit. It was a bit hectic so I have to revisit my numbers a bit. I was planning on doing 310 on my Deadlifts and now can't remember if I did or if I only did 295. I figured it's better to start slow anyways.

Squat 5x5 235, 1x4 285
Bench 175x5x5, 1x5x210
Deadlift 1x5 295
Power Clean 5x3x95

Going to record my press, rows chins and maybe a couple others this week to ensure I'm progressing.

Eating about 2100 calories a day atm.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Whatcha been running?
Trest at 100mg TD has been the staple and I started out with 10mg of superdrol and 100mg of tvar, after that ran out I switched to DMZ at 48mg. Coming to end next Friday and going to rock 5-6 weeks of pct and stay off until probably Feb.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Trest at 100mg TD has been the staple and I started out with 10mg of superdrol and 100mg of tvar, after that ran out I switched to DMZ at 48mg. Coming to end next Friday and going to rock 5-6 weeks of pct and stay off until probably Feb.
That's a suppressive but very solid and thoughtfully dosed cycle. Good compounds with lots of moderation. Looking very good! You will get fluffier inevitably coming off, Holidays, less training volume, but the Texas Method is probably perfect for your strength levels and goals now. It should take you exactly where you wanna go! Then when you go back on in Spring you will be able to use much more weight.