Thanks man!

Today' Journal

Weight: 127.5lbs
Daily calorie intake approx: 1300 calories over 7 meals a day
Current Body fat percentage reading: 9%
Training Platform: Bionic Training Program
Training Phase: Cutting

Weighed in today at 127.5lbs

Although I weigh myself everyday I try not to talk about it all the time. Well it's not the most interesting subject in the world. I'm making an exception today as I hit my predicted weight for the week, and that really doesn't happen very often!

At 127.5lbs I'm back to my pre wife-going-away weight and I'm now able to continue making cutting progress. I now have 2 weeks to drop the final 1% and finally end this prolonged, if not eventful, cut. In theory 2 weeks should be long enough as I've been averaging -2% a month since I started. Unfortunately, like most people, my body hates to give up it's last remaining fat reserves but I'm hoping that if I can remain cheat free for the next 2 weeks I might be OK.

I AM DEFINITELY NOT CONTINUING THIS CUT BEYOND 20TH JUNE!

So Monday 22nd June will be the official start of my 2009 / 2010 bulk, wherever I'm at, and I plan to continue this right through to Feb / March next year.

The only change I plan to make to my current training routine is to drop one of my aerobic sessions (Saturday) giving me one full day off from training a week. I find Saturday's run the hardest as my legs are always still sore from Thursday's Leg Set and this session was only introduced to help finish off my cut. I think it's important to re-introduce that day off ASAP.

I will revise my weight training schedule nearer the time but I can only see myself making incremental changes. My current weight routine has worked well for my body this year and I see no reason why this should change, especially when I start fueling it properly! My main focus area will be my abs and traps, so any changes to my routine will be to ensure these get the most attention. In all other aspects of my physique I'm more than happy. Of course I'd like to be taller and have smaller hips but hey, there's only so much you can do with diet and exercise. Another philosophy I have is to always make the best of what you've got and I have a good upper frame to work with, even if I don't have the height.

More admin to do today so until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

I didn't get up today until 9.15am!

For some reason, probably because of the dark clouds solidifying the UK at the moment, my boys didn't wake up at their usual 6.30am. Wow! I feel like a new man!

That is, of course, completely untrue. Having just returned from my 4 mile run I feel more like a very old man but, as always, after a protein shake, shower, porridge and coffee I've felt a lot worse. My legs are still sore from Thursday's leg set (!) which I thought was a little strange until it dawned on me that I didn't do a leg set the week before when my wife was away, so I probably should have eased up a little last time around. I'm sure those damned deadlifts are to blame. They certainly seem to reach the parts other exercises can't reach!

I can't help thinking about sexy food at the moment. Everything around me is beginning to resemble food! My boys look like two all butter shortbread biscuits and my wife looks like a Chocolate Éclair.

Ugh!

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 129lbs

Weighed in today at 129lbs

What makes the difference between an average weight session and an outstanding weight session? Probably about 1 extra rep per exercise! It's that very last rep that you really don't think you can do, or want to do, that seems to make the big difference.

Well I had an excellent chest and tricep workout this morning with that last 1 rep making all the difference. I also had a decent amount of energy inside me thanks to my wife serving up the most enormous Japanese Curry last night. Not great for my cut but perfect for a decent early morning weight session. On top of that I had plenty of rest over the weekend which I desperately needed. We all had a really good time messing about at home doing jigsaw puzzles whilst half-watching CBeebies (the BBC's excellent digital channel for very young children). My youngest has taken to climbing on my back at every possibly opportunity which, bizzarely enough, gives me a really good and relaxing back massage.

So I'm feeling ready to blast through another week. If I can keep up with my sleep the focus is to give each training session 100%. Can't wait for the Summer! I know it's already June but England doesn't really have it's one week of sun until August, at which point all the British Newspapers declare global warming has finally arrived and we all have until next Tuesday before we fry.

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

Apparently you're not supposed to start a book by talking about the weather but I reckon daily journals don't count.

Today the weather is mostly cloudy with big blotches of rain. Just like yesterday really... and the day before... oh yes, and the day before that as well.

Welcome to the British Summer!

I had a really good Shoulders, Traps and Back workout this morning. Unfortunately my body is beginning to feel the effects of over 2 months of cutting and I'm struggling to just maintain the weight levels I felt were easy just 4 weeks ago. Anyway, not long now until I can start filling up with premium Super Unleaded! With this in mind I reviewed my diet and training yesterday in anticipation and have decided on my new diet and weight training plan. No major differences in both, just a little more food each week and a few more ab exercises with one day off for rest and recuperation. I'll post up nearer the time.

Can't wait!

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 127lbs
Daily calorie intake approx: 1200 calories over 7 meals a day

Weighed in today at 127lbs

I did a cheeky waist measurement this morning, not because I thought I was thinner but because I felt so bloated yesterday I was a little worried I was going the wrong way. Well you know how paranoid you can get. I came in at 25.75 inches! I know that I hit 8% body fat last year at 25.5 inches so I'm really close now. But with only 10 days to go I don't have long to loose that remaining 0.25 inches. So I'm shaving another 100 calories off my diet. It's only for just over a week so no doubt I'll survive.

I can't imagine what was contributing to my bloated feeling yesterday. The only thing I had that was slightly contrary to my normal diet was a pear, and that was after having walked about 4 miles whilst carrying out some errands.

I've definitely put on some muscle over my entire body. At this waist measurement last year I weighed 123lbs. So 4lbs of muscle in a year. Gee whizz! Well, OK that's crap but as you all know I did have a 6 month training hiatus last year. I will do better for 2009 / 2010.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 126.5lbs

Weighed in today at 126.5lbs

And that's a new low for me for the year!

I was not looking forward to my leg set this morning. I've had a general feeling of sustained lethargy recently, brought on by a combination of the obvious (reduced calories) and lack of unbroken sleep. Same old, same old really. Anyway I didn't have to worry. Although not easy (is it ever) I completed another brutal session that left me fighting for breath on the floor as usual. Fortunately I'm not on child duty today so I don't have to push that bloody pram around all day! Also I only have one more to go before my cut finishes and I can tackle those damned Squats and Deadlifts with a little more fuel inside me.

I picked up a little forum gem yesterday for all of us who like to undergo serious annual cuts, or for anyone really who is looking for new ways to loose weight. Sugar free Jelly (I think its called Jello in the States) has been recommended as a good and tasty ultra-low cal dessert substitute. I can't believe I've missed this one! Everyone knows how much I enjoy my desserts, well I think this could be a real solution for me. Apparently you can make one pint of the stuff that contains only 32 calories! I think eating a whole pint worth of Jelly after my evening meal would have to completely eliminate any possible craving I could have for more food. I think even half a pint should do the trick. I'm going to buy some today!

Thanks for that one Euan!

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Current Body fat percentage reading: 8%

Well I'm pretty much there now. I measured my waist this morning and it did come in at 25.5 inches which, when combined with my new low weight and the other calculations I use, does bring me in at 8%... just!

But I'm not celebrating yet and I'm certainly not bringing my cut to a end. At this point I know that if I just had a single cheat meal my scale weight would go back up to 127 and I'd be back on 9% (again according to my calculations). So I'm going to continue cutting until next Friday as planned to make sure I've secured my current level. I'll then have reached a point where I'll feel comfortable and confident to start what looks like being an 8 month bulk.

I ate my sugar free Jelly (Jello) last night with an excited expectation. Unfortunately I was a little disapointed. It did meet the main objectives of the exercise, i.e. it did fill me up and was only 16 calories, but it was so sickly sweet that even my sugar addicted palate struggled to cope. It also left an after-taste in my mouth that I'll probably have until next Christmas. Also I can't say that I felt particularly healthy after having eaten it. I'll think I'll stick to an apple!

I had a good Arms & Abs workout this morning switching focus from my arms to my abs.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

I didn't go for a run this morning. This was kind of planned as part of my new regime of taking 1 day off a week and, although this wasn't supposed to start until after I'd finished cutting, I've made such good progress in the last couple of weeks I feel I can introduce this now. Besides, my legs are still sore from Thursday's leg set and a day off at this stage is probably going to do me more good than harm.

Bizzarley enough I woke up this morning feeling absolutely starving. You would have thought that after 10 weeks of cutting my metabolism would have moored up somewhere off Tailand. But no, I've been feeling more hungry than usual for the last two weeks and even sacrificed the possibility of a lye in this morning, just to have some breakfast!

My diet has been kept absolutely rigid since my wife returned from her business trip, more so than at any previous point during this cut. I know this is why I've made such good progress since then and, as my diet has cleaned up, my cravings for sugar have gradually dissipated. For example, my wife was out for her first "Friday Night drink with colleagues" last night which was a perfect opportunity for me to enjoy some sugar indulgences. A few weeks ago that would definitely have been the case and, although I did allow myself to briefly visualise the contents of the childrens' food cupboards, I didn't follow my thoughts through to their expected destination. Instead I had a banana (I would have had an apple but we'd run out) and made myself a cup of Japanese Black Tea, a drink I'm still really enjoying.

I think my point is, and I know I've made this point a number of times before, the longer you can go without indulging in your most craved food or drink, the easier it becomes to stay off it. When my wife returned from her business trip and I got back on my cutting diet I was just sooo desperate to quit and continue eating the foods I had been devouring the previous week that I became desperate to finish my cut. But, two weeks on, I feel I could continue this cut for the next three months! I can honestly say that I currently have no interest in desserts, cakes or chocolate and, if they were never dangled in front of me again, I could probably stay off them for the rest of my life. Unfortunately, as with beer, popcorn and pizza, they're a part of our social network and very difficult to avoid completely. I subsequently know the minute I do enjoy those foods again my cravings will be right back where they were 2 weeks ago.

Talking about social networks, we're supposed to being going out for lunch today with my parents, making this my weekly cheat day, however my eldest boy is sick and is still in bed, so I'm not sure what we're going to do. I know it's nothing serious but it wouldn't be right for us all to jump in the car and drive for an hour to a restaurant if he's not well.

Anyway, until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

We eventually decided not to go out yesterday as was the plan. My eldest was really too sick and, as it turned out, was ill all day. As is often the case with children he woke up this morning his normal cheerful self, so all is back to normal.

I was so put out at having missed what would have been perfect restaurant food, probably very similar to a couple of weeks back, that I started looking for ways to make up for the loss. I went to the supermarket to stock up on fresh fruit and veg and deliberately strayed into the Nuts and Chocolate sections. After studying the calorie levels of both I was so shocked that I left with just the fruit and veg. The large packet of peanuts that I really had my eye on contained over 1200 calories in total! That's my current daily amount in one relatively small bag. And the chocolate was over 500. I knew that were I to really enjoy both I would have to eat the lot but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

With a feeling of despondency over elation; despondency over having defeated myself and elation over having defeated myself (...!), I returned home to consume an apple. My wife saved the day by digging out a cake from the freezer and the eating began. I spent the rest of the day happily eating whatever I fancied. Nothing very unhealthy, just a lot more than normal.

I had an easy run this morning, just a quick 3 miles, and am back on my strict cutting diet today. This will only continue now until end of play Friday when my 2009 cut will officially end. I'll be taking and posting progress pics at that point and not at the end of the month.

All being well we are all going away on Saturday to attend a wedding during which time I'll eat whatever I fancy. The week after I'll increase my calories by 200 a day. I won't be taking a break in training as I feel I've had more than enough rest recently.

On a final note it looks like I'm going to have to shift my training into the late afternoon from Monday. My wife is starting to work a very early shift so she can liaise with Japan and, as keen as I am, I'm not training at 5am! I'm therefore planning to do my weight training Monday through to Thursday, take Friday off and do my morning run on Saturday and Sunday. It's a dangerous time for me to make such a change to my routine. When such a change happened last year I basically quit. This year I'm going to carefully plan it in to my day and work hard to make sure it quickly becomes my new routine.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

I'm writing this having NOT done my usual morning weight training session. The idea for the next few weeks is that I train in the late afternoon whilst my wife works an early morning shift. Today that should be around 5pm. I don't have to change my eating plan much to accomodate this, I'm simply going to postpone my afternoon protein shake until just before I train. I would prefer to have this immediately after but, for this week at least, I'm going to need as much energy as possible for training. The energy I'm hoping to get from the protein shake is of course not from the protein but the sugar that goes with the drink. I make up my own protein drinks using Unflavoured Whey Protein which I add a small amount of low fat chocolate powder to for taste.

My youngest has just been sick all over the carpet. I guess he now has the same bug my eldest had on Saturday. I've just finished cleaning it up now and used up extra calories doing so. Yes, the glass is always half full in this house, even if his stomach is now completely empty.

Oh the joys of parenthood!

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

I gave up waiting for my wife to return from work yesterday. Some of you may know that my home gym is in the far corner of our living area so I decided to simply barricade myself in using the dinning room chairs so the children couldn't get through. This worked very well and they simply sat on the chairs switching their attention between me and the TV.

My main concern with training in the same room as them is the risk of hurting them and therefore having to keep half my attention on their exact whereabouts. Well, with the barricade in place, I was happily able to focus 100% and subsequently I had a perfectly good chest and tricep workout. I did have to tell them that Daddy couldn't talk when he was doing his exercises but they seemed to understand this. I'll definitely be doing this again. It means I can train exactly when I want to without waiting on anyone. I still prefer the morning but this will do for now.

Apart from last Saturday's lapse, and considering I've already achieved my current goal, I'm surprising myself at how well I'm managing to stick to my cutting diet during this final week. Hopefully I'll hit 126lbs by Friday and be able to call it a day with confidence. This Saturday's wedding will hopefully be a great time to feast but I know it won't be a particularly relaxing time. I know from experience that attending a wedding with 2 small, and rather bored, children is just more hard work really. Still, we're both looking forward to the opportunity to dress up and help celebrate the very beginning of an old friend 's voyage into married life.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 123lbs
Training Phase: Surviving

Weighed in today at 123lbs

I've been very ill over the last couple of days. I caught the same bug both my children had and have had my system completly cleared out. I've had zero energy and, until this morning, had only managed to eat bread, water and a couple of bananas.

On a positive note I've had plenty of rest as I've been in bed since Wednesday night and this morning I'm feeling much better. I'm far from 100% but can at least function as human being again.

I wasn't suprised at my scale reading this morning. I now have to gradually start eating normally again. This won't happen today but hopefully by tomorrow my diet will be back on track.

It goes without saying that my 2009 cut is now over. Not exactly in the way I was expecting (!) and at a much lower weight than was planned but at least it is done.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 123.5lbs
Daily calorie intake approx: 1500 calories over 7 meals a day
Training Phase: Bulking

Weighed in today at 123.5lbs

My health today seems just about back to normal again. I still feel a little weak but probably more due to lack of substantial fuel. I'll be doing my weights later on today so if that goes OK then I'm definately back on track.

I'm also attempting to get my diet back on track today. This statement would normally be followed by me saying that I'll now be eating less, but as I've eaten so little over the past few days I'll be attempting to eat a lot more. I'm also attempting the first stage of my bulk by increasing my calorie intake by about 200 a day, up to around 1500. Apart from this weekend I hope to keep this up until next Friday and then increase by another 200 for the following week. This weekend is a cheat weekend with a wedding to attend and I had hoped to completely stuff my face, but with how I feel at the moment I'll be lucky just to eat a normal daily amount!

I'll be taking my End of Cut progress picture later on this afternoon and will post it this evening.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 124lbs

Weighed in today at 124lbs

This is the first journal entry in the next phase of my fitness journey as I endeavour to bulk up without becoming the Incredible Bulk (aka Captain Blubber). So, although I'm going to be gradually eating a little more each week (200 calories up to maintenance and then 100 up to bulking level), it's pretty much business as usual. I'm going to be eating exactly the same foods and training with the same intensity.

I will be relaxing my diet slightly over the weekends by indulging in the occasional healthy cake, and I might even have a beer or two on a hot summers weekend evening, but I'll be keeping things very much in control during the week.

I'm hoping to only put on 2 lbs a month and I plan to do this until February 2010. Therefore I should only put on around 16lbs between now and then to weigh in at around 140lbs when I'm finished.

What I'm most looking forward to, at this stage, is to have more energy during the day and to start making gains in strength again. I'm deliberately trying not to look forward to eating more food, especially the sweet stuff, as I don't want to think of this as an exercise in how much more I can eat. My failure to bulk last year without things getting totally out of control has made me very wary of letting my sweet tooth take control of my eating habits.

This is the longest planned training program I've entered into so "Routine = Consistency = Success" will again be my mantra. As always I'll be charting my daily progress here with picture updates once a month.

This weekend is an official Cheat Weekend so I won't be updating again until Monday morning.

Until then!

Attachments

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

We went, we ate and we came home again. Don't you just love weddings! I'm not sure I've ever eaten quite so much in one day before. I think in the first round between The Bionic Man and the Incredible Bulk, the Bulk won hands down. And then we had breakfast as part of the hotel deal which I enjoyed even more! I think breakfast is definitely my favourite meal of the day and I definitely had the largest I have ever had. I enjoyed it so much I'm going to give you a run down of exactly what I ate:

Full British Fried Breakfast including 2 sausages, baked beans, 2 rashes of bacon, 2 fried eggs and tomatoe ketchup.
5 pieces of toast with butter with raspberry and blackcurrant jam
1 bowl of Alpen (Muesli)
1 bowl of Kellogg's Fruit n'Fibre
1 cup of filtered coffee.

If I hadn't have had the coffee I could have eaten more!

Anyway we all had a really good time and it was great to get away from home for a while. The children were extremely well behaved (as always) and we even managed to get them both into the hotel swimming pool to give them their first ever experience of swimming. The pool was completely empty and felt more like our own private pool. I'm sure their memories of swimming now will be positive and it will be easier for me to take them to the local pool more often. I'm very keen for them to be strong swimmers and have water as a natural and fun part of their lives.

But it's time to focus again with my diet back in check and a chest and tricep workout waiting for me this afternoon. I'm curious to know if the 200 extra calories this week will have any noticeable impact on my lifting this week. I think this week will be the hardest as 200 additional calories is hardly anything. Next week should be a lot easier.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 125lbs

Weighed in today at 125lbs

Yesterday was quite difficult for me to get myself mentally back on track. This is why cheat days and holidays can be so dangerous to anyone sticking to a rigid diet and training program. I just didn't feel like it! How sad is that. I had enjoyed my rich foods and lazy weekend far too much and half of me was tempting myself to just let it continue.

Fortunately I didn't cave and stuck rigidly to my normal clean diet and had a good chest and tricep workout in the afternoon. I did have 1 extra coffee at around 5.30pm just as a little low fat, low cal treat to keep myself going before my evening meal. I was rewarding with my scale weight dropping 2 pounds of water weight in just 24 hours.

Wimbledon has started which us Brits always enjoy. Grass Court Tennis in the summer epitomises everything that is British and it's one of the few times I'll watch sport on TV. I think the main reason I enjoy it so much is because it is clearly such a mental game. They're all incredibly talented but the individual with the strongest self discipline, self control and and self belief always seems to win the day. And it's exactly the same with this diet and fitness game we all play. Our ability to succeed lies, pure and simply, in our ability to govern and control our own thinking. Before you can guard against what you put into your stomach you must first guard against what comes into your thinking and to act only on the thoughts that will take you to where you want to be.

Watching the players I always find it interested that you can spot those who have clearly dedicated the days, weeks and months leading up to this event by following a strick diet and training program - and you can spot those that haven't! I was watching one British player in particular who was clearly overweight! I'm not saying that tennis players need to have particularly low body fat percentages but I'm also pretty sure they shouldn't be carrying around a gut either! I have no idea how this player expects to stand a chance of being successful at mastering such a mental game when "the player" clearly doesn't have the mental discipline to loose 10 pounds of pointless fat and get some speed up around the court.

Anyway I need to continue playing my own mental game this week. The extra 200 calories is hardly noticeable so I need to make sure I don't cave until next week and another 200 cal daily injection.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 125lbs
Daily calorie intake approx: 1700 calories over 7 meals a day

Weighed in today at 125lbs

I caved in yesterday! I was absolutely starving all day and I just couldn't face training without some more energy. So I increased my pre-training meal by 100 cals!

Unfortunately I woke up starving as well this morning and increased my breakfast by another 100 cals. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to convince myself that I need to be constantly hungry when my cut is over. My low cal diet has clearly done nothing to damage my metabolism, as some people suggested it would, else I wouldn't be feeling hungry all the time. This was the only reason I was increasing my calorie intake so gradually. However I haven't completely given up this plan, I just have a desperate mental need for some extra cals to get me through the day AND my training without feeling like I'm still cutting.

So I'm now on 1700 which, according to my BMR calculation (http://www.bionicfiles.com/easy_calorie_calculators) is officially what I should be on to cut! I'll try hard to maintain this until Monday and then up by 200 again to 1900. I'll be having some cheat food over the weekend (I already have opened packet of peanuts from last weekend ready to go) so this shouldn't be too difficult.

This is just such a mental game for me. If my thinking follows a justifiable action then I don't seem to have a problem, but if the action doesn't seem to be justifiable, to me at least, then I do really struggle. I think this is why I find doing things other people tell me to do so difficult, especially when I don't agree with them. But if I agree with the train of thought I find it very easy to convince myself to go along with it. For example; I do believe that if I reduce my calorie intake below maintenance then I'll loose weight. Unfortunately I'm not so convinced that gradually increasing my calorie levels over a long period of time will help to do anything, which is why I'm struggling so much at the moment.

Still, I said I would do this so I'll try to keep myself on track. Hopefully the 400 additional calories I'm now having each day will keep the physical sensation of hunger at bay.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Daily calorie intake approx: 2600 calories over 7 meals a day

I completely caved in yesterday. I was absolutely fine all day and had an excellent leg set in the afternoon, but at 9pm I had such a craving for peanuts I gave up. I went into the kitchen and finished the whole packet! I then continued to eat utter junk and had to almost physically stop myself.

I've decided to stop kidding myself. I'm not someone who can do a little of something. I never have been. Either I do a thing or I don't do a thing. There is no inbetween for me and therefore, for me, there is no inbetween cutting and bulking.

So NOW I'm bulking. I've jacked up my calories up to the full 2600 and will proceed on that basis for the foreseeable future.

Now that I've made that decision I feel much better. I can now begin to work towards gaining muscle mass and therefore towards my goal for a new ideal physique by the summer of 2010. I don't know what I'll do then. I don't particularly want to spend the rest of my life cutting and bulking but until I find a new goal, a new "life driver", I'll keep doing it. There are a couple of other big things I would like to do in my life but they both will mean making some major life changes that will effect the whole family, and my children are still way too young for this. I feel stability in their early years is very important to help lay down a strong sense of security. So, anyway, the time is not yet right and besides I really enjoy obsessing about my diet and training, certainly too much to stop now!

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Daily calorie intake approx: 2400 calories over 7 meals a day

I felt back in some sort of control yesterday. I'm going to have to accept that it is going to take me a while to make the mental adjustment to eating on a bulking diet. Having become so used to a calorie deficit it certainly is difficult to control my eating now that I'm taking in so much more. Half my brain keeps telling me that the objective now is to put on weight whilst the more controlled half has to immediately counter that. Yes, I am looking to put on weight, but only 0.5lbs a week! There is so much temptation to keep eating once I start. I can see this is going to be the challenge of bulking.

Saying that I've feel a little more confident this morning. Yesterday I spent the whole day feeling full but, knowing I always had room for more food, I was at least able to stick to the planned diet. Today my scale weight was up again by 0.5lbs so, although I'm sure this is only retained water weight from the carb increase, I'm hoping to reduce today's calorie intake by 200. This is also my new weekly day off from training, so I'm certainly keen to keep those calories down a little today.

As I gradually get used to this new eating regime I'm hoping to be able to knock off or add on calories as I see fit, so keeping myself in full control. I knocked off 100 cals from breakfast this morning and am sitting here feeling confident that I'll be OK. I just need to allow myself some time to get used to this new regime and regain my normal mental control. Unfortunately I can see that my "hot drink immediately after eating" method is still going to be needed. It's the only way I know of to completely take away the craving to keep eating, especially in the evenings. Now the bulking diet is in full swing I had hoped that all my cravings would have abated. Bizzarely enough it seems the opposite is the case.

On a more upbeat note I was surprised at how quickly my strength began to return during yesterday's workout. Suddenly I'm feeling I can lift more and will be increasing most sets by 0.5kg. I can see this trend continuing throughout my weight routine and am becoming more confident that I really will be able to make some good gains in muscle mass over the next 8 months. I'm going to give my abs special focus as they are my weakest point, so whenever I have to miss a training set, for whatever reason, I'll make sure I never miss my weekly ab set.

I guess we all have the weekend coming up and we'll all have the normal temptations to deal with. I'll definitely be cheating on Sunday, I know that for a fact, but hopefully I'll be able to stick to my planned diet until then. Oh, I may have a beer tonight - my first in many, many months!

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

My legs were still sore from Wednesday's leg set this morning. I know why. Because I skipped the previous week's leg set due to illness. I'm still surprised at how long they're taking to recover. So this morning's run was a little painful and I only went for 3 miles instead of my intended 4.

To prevent this from happening again I'm bringing my leg set forward by one day to Tuesday. Hopefully an extra day's rest will help ensure that sore legs won't hold my weekend running back in the future. You would have thought that after training for the best part of a year now I would have ironed out such a small problem a long time ago. But I guess this is all part of the process as we constantly look to make incremental improvements to our training and diet.

A little off subject now; I forgot to buy some yoghurt for the children yesterday. They normally have this along with their porridge and fruit for breakfast. So I thought I'd treat them by making them their first ever Chocolate Milkshake. They refused to even try it and I got a little cross with them. I went upstairs to have a shower and quickly realised that I was trying to force them to drink something they shouldn't be drinking anyway. So I came back downstairs, told them they didn't have to drink it and drank the lot myself. It was the first chocolate milkshake I'd had in many, many years. Delicious. Definitely their loss... or maybe their gain!?! They've never been too keen on chocolate, demonstrable by the presence of an Easter Egg still sitting on the sideboard.

I'm not going to push them to eat chocolate again. I now realise that to do this would be insanity! I wonder how many parents have pushed junk food onto their children allowing them to become addicted, just because they themselves are addicted?

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 128.5lbs

Weighed in today at 128.5lbs

I couldn't update my journal yesterday as the internet was down all day so a quick update. I cheated on Saturday night with some evening toast with home made raspberry jam and cheated big time on Sunday with Jam and Scones. The good news is that, for the first time during this bulk, I felt really full on Saturday afternoon and had to force myself to have lunch. This was mainly because I got up 2 hours later than normal as it was Saturday and so all my meals were a little rushed, but even so it was how I had hoped to feel when bulking - having to force down food when I really didn't feel like eating.

I'm hoping that, as this is my first full week of bulking and now that I've had every type of food I was craving during my cut, I'll be better able to stick to my planned diet between now and Sunday. I've got weight training planned for the next four days so I'm looking to stick to 2600 calories and no more! If I can't get some more control into this bulk then I'll have no choice but to change my game plan; I mean I've put on 0.5 pounds A DAY so far, and that simply can't continue. I'm hoping that if I can at least stick to my diet plan this gain will begin to even itself out but if it doesn't and I'm unable to maintain any control, I'll have no choice but to change my plans.

I can see my performance this week being critical. If I can't maintain a correct diet for the duration I can't see how I'm going to be able to maintain this bulk until Feb 2010. I simply have to regain full control of my eating!!!

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 129lbs

Weighed in today at 129lbs

I'm reducing my calorie intake by 200 a day starting from today. I'm putting on far too much weight far too quickly and, although most of it will be retained water, it is still way too much for my liking.

I also now have the old problem of my "I'm addicted to making desserts" wife. Having announced that my cut is over I have, without realising it, once again given her carte blanche to cook whatever she likes, and what she most likes to cook or course is dessert. Yesterday was a good example. As I went to the kitchen to prepare my final meal before bed she said, "Aren't you going to eat that sponge pudding with ice cream I left out for you?" She'd made this earlier in the day with the children and I had completely forgotten about it.

I'm not prepared to refuse my wife's food when I'm bulking, it's hard enough to do when I'm cutting, but I have to make sure I can incorporate it into the my daily calorie intake. I also have the weekends to cope with which inevitably seem to get completely out of hand. So I'll try things on 200 less a day and see if that helps to slow things down a little.

I can see this bulk being very much trial and error but at least I cut enough before starting to allow for some early mistakes. If things continue to go wrong I'm always prepared to use the opposite tactic to cutting, i.e. to have a Cut Down week where I go back to a cutting diet for a week to help correct some of the errors I'm currently making. Then I can come back to a less severe bulk having learnt some more lessons about myself and my eating habits. I need to have a long and controlled bulk but I'll ultimately fail if I continue as I am now.

I can't say that the weather is helping much either. I ended my cut at the beginning of what is turning out to be a long overdue British heat wave and my body is getting more exposure than at any point so far this year, so I'm obviously a little bit upset to be seeing my definition disappear behind a layer of bloat within only two weeks since starting!

One thing I am going to have to accept is that if I want to do this properly I'm going to have to contend with still having the same old sensations of hunger immediately after eating - especially in the evenings. This simply does not go away no matter how much I eat! So having an apple after all my planned food followed by a herbal tea is probably going to be reintroduce.

So far controlled bulking is proving to be a Dessert Too Far for me. I feel like I've let my cravings out to stretch their legs and they're now running loose in the kitchen. The Incredible Bulk is giving me a bloody good thrashing and a large half of me doesn't mind a bit!

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 131lbs
Current Body fat percentage reading: 10%

Weighed in today at 131lbs

My internet has been down since Tuesday hence the lack of updates. It finally seems to be working now so it's business as usual.

I'm now back in control of my diet, from Monday to Friday at least. We've had a friend over this weekend and things inevitably got out of hand but I still went running Saturday and Sunday plus we all went swimming yesterday and I spent some of Saturday doing some heavy work in the garden. I think this all goes towards helping my weight to have only gone up by 0.5lbs since Friday despite the weekend calorie overload. Last week my weight seemed to plateaux at 129.5lbs. If I do start to hover around 130lbs for the next couple of weeks I'll make a slight increase to my calories but in the meantime I'm going to try and stick to 2400 and see what happens.

Last week I started to make some good gains in strength and have now increased all weight settings on all exercises. I've subsequently bought an additional 2 x 10kg plates that I'm hoping will see me through for the duration of my bulk. My weight bench can't take any more weight but careful planning in my training plan should allow me to continue without upgrading my bench. I really have no idea where I'd put a new bench if I did have to buy one.

Having our friend over for the last few days has meant that I've been sleeping in a tent in the garden. There's simply not been enough room in the house for all of us but with the great weather we've been having I haven't minded a bit. I've really felt like I've been on holiday, especially as the internet has been down making any work virtually impossible. I feel like I spent the majority of last week watching the Wimbledon tennis, reading with my feet up and playing with the children. Who says you need to go away to have a holiday!

I've got chest and triceps this afternoon. It's my favourite workout as I can do most of it lying down - who said I'm not lazy!

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 130lbs

Weighed in today at 130lbs

With my weight coming in 1lb less than yesterday and with my diet remaining strong after the weekends hiatus I'm feeling good!

I had a great chest and tricep workout yesterday, despite a couple of interruptions, and am already beginning to see some noticeable improvements in both areas. I reckon I've got around 32 weeks of bulking to go; that's around 128 weight training sessions between now and February, so I'm beginning to get a little excited at the potential progress I can make. All I have to do is stick to the plan! Easier said than done as always but at least I survived the post cut cravings surge and feel as if I'm on track for the long haul ahead.

I forgot to mention yesterday how difficult I'm finding my aerobic running routines these days. I personally like to run when my stomach is completely empty, so first thing in the morning suits me best. This works very well when I'm cutting, however I'm finding that my stomach and digestive system in general feels "bulky" (for want of a better word) pretty much all the time now and I've been struggling with the first couple of miles. It's difficult to describe exactly how I'm feeling. A little more sluggish I guess, with a general feeling of heaviness. I'm not intending to stop this part of my training, although it isn't necessary for a successful bulk, as I'm keen to keep it in as part of my general health and well being. I may well get used to it but I certainly miss that feeling of being light of foot and "bouncy".

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

Weighed in today at 130lbs

Well it makes a nice change for my weight to remain the same since yesterday... for a change.

Each day I'm finding my newly adjusted bulking diet easier to maintain. I'm still surprised that I don't feel more sated during the day and I'm always surprised just how hungry I am leading up to each meal, but in fairness I'm only eating just above maintenance so I guess this is to be expected. The key for me is to keep eating little and often whilst avoiding my favourite high sugar foods. It's just like cutting really only without the low energy levels and constant hunger! Also, because I'm aiming to eat 200 calories less than my recommended 2600, I have a reserve capacity that I can call on should I get particularly hungry or should my wife spring a tasty treat on me.

I skipped my leg workout yesterday but plan to do it this afternoon instead. I spent most of yesterday rushing around and was on my feet so much that my legs were worn out before I even looked at the weights, so I thought it better to shift it to today. I find leg day to be the toughest of the week and I subsequently need to make sure I have enough rest before hand to prepare for it. It's good to have Wednesday as a free day for this reason. I can use it to fill in gaps in my training when I have to miss a day for some reason.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

130lbs again today. Nice! And I looked quite cut in the mirror this morning - relatively speaking of course.

Our heatwave has now dissipated so it's back to normal temperatures again. I'm also out of the tent as our friend has now left which is a shame. I really enjoy sleeping outside when it's hot. Anything to help align oneself more with nature is always a good thing in my book.

I'm really enjoying my two additional 10kg plates that I bought last week. They're allowing me to rack up the weight I've been using quite significantly. For example my standing leg raises have increased from 55kg up to 77.5kg, a weight I can hardly hold in my hands for the duration!, deadlifts by 2.5kg, squats by 1kg and leg extensions by 5kg. It subsequently wasn't really surprising that I had an excellent leg workout yesterday.

I've got shoulders and back to do later this afternoon when I'll be able to increase my dumbbell shrugs from 37kg up to 40kg. I think everything else will remain the same as I've been struggling to lift what's currently on my weight chart for quite some time.

Until tomorrow.

wontstop985

wontstop985

Awards
  • Established
Great job man - you look cut as hell in that last pic. Good to see your cut is finally done and you're starting to work on adding some mass. Keep it up.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Great job man - you look cut as hell in that last pic. Good to see your cut is finally done and you're starting to work on adding some mass. Keep it up.
Thanks! I've got a long way to go but I'm now feeling more confident that I'm going to have a successful bulk!

Today's Journal

Weight: 129.5lbs

129.5lbs today and I weigh exactly 1lb less than last friday. I suspect this to be mostly retained water loss from my post-cutting accesses so I'm not changing my diet for the forthcoming week.

It certainly is proving to be difficult to manage my diet when I'm only looking to increase my weight by 0.5lbs a week. It's not a lot when you take into account the constant weight fluctuations the body has during the course of an average day. So I've decided to use Friday morning's weigh in as the benchmark for the week and make any changes to my diet based on that reading. On that basis I plan to weight 130lbs this time next week. If I weigh less then I'll increase my calories by 100 and if I weigh more I'll decrease by 100.

Just by having written that I can see my own dilemma. On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week I weighed in at 130lbs but today it fell by 0.5lbs. Tomorrow it could easily be 130.5lbs depending on what I eat tonight which would make the goal I just set obsolete!

I've changed my mind...

On Friday I'm going to take an average reading for the week and make my decision based on that.

My average reading for last week was 130lbs. Next Friday I therefore plan to have an average weight for the week of 130.5lbs and will adjust my diet accordingly should I fall either side. I think that should work out quite well.

I decided not to do my Shoulders & Back workout yesterday. I didn't make this decision until I had changed into my gym kit, warmed up and had done the first rep of the first set. At that point I stopped. I'd been feeling a very slight pain toward the top of my vertebrae all day from the previous day's deadlifts and squats. The first rep I did magnified the pain so I immediately stopped. I usually have a day off after squats and deadlifts as I find them to be so intense, so I thought it would be wise to continue this routine. I can't feel any pain this morning so hopefully I'll be OK to continue this afternoon.

Unfortunately I'm now a day behind with this week's training so, in order to catch up, on Saturday I'll do my morning run combined with an afternoon weight session. We don't have any social commitments on Saturday, that I'm aware of, so this should be OK. I normally have some extra cheat food on Saturday so this could help counteract additional calories quite nicely.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

Weighed in today at 130lbs again. I am very pleased with this continued measurement as it means my diet is at least allowing me to maintain my current weight. If you're a regular reader of this journal you'll know that maintenance has proved somewhat elusive for me in the past, so even if I fail to put 0.5lbs in the forthcoming week I'll at least have fulfilled an ambition, albeit a minor one, that of maintenance. This breeds more confidence in myself and my ability to have complete control of my diet. Such control will allow me to maintain a weight and look once I have reached the point of desired and expected muscle gain over the coming months.

Yesterday I again decided against doing my Shoulders & Back weight routine. My back was still a little tender and I felt it would be safer to give it another day's rest. This morning I abandoned my planned run in order to complete this postponed workout and experienced neither pain nor discomfort. I'll do my Arms & Abs tomorrow morning and will, in doing so, have completed my weight training for the week.

I've subsequently decided to completely forego my aerobic training for the week. It is, after all, the least important aspect of my bulk and I'll look to pick it up again next weekend.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 131.5lbs

I had an orgy of food last night. We had a mini-party with both children and a friend from overseas. I gouged myself on good home cooked japanese food, a home made Banana & Fig cake and a generous amount of beer. That, combined with my normal pre-bed porridge and protein shake, certainly gave my stomach some cause for gentle contemplation whilst I watched the first disc of The Godfather Part II. I saw the original film the night before. I'm always amazed how a film that must be at least 30 years old is still totally watchable. It must be one of the best films ever made. If there is anyone out there who has not seen The Godfather Parts 1 & 2 I can't recommend them enough. I wouldn't worry so much about Part 3 though. The whole topic had become a little too cliched by that time to be taken seriously.

I finally finished my week's weight training this morning with Arms & Abs. I'm really trying to murder my abs this year and am now doing sit ups with a 10kg plate on my chest. I couldn't have done any more this morning even if I had bionic implants.

Chest and Triceps again on Monday afternoon when it's business as usual. Saying that I'll probably have some more of the previously mentioned Banana & Fig cake this afternoon. I can't seem to get enough on that stuff!

Until tomorrow!

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 132lbs

Not a bad day for a Sunday, diet wise. I only had one small piece of cake. Other than that my diet was spot on. I was therefore a little disappointed that my scale reading went up another 0.5lbs this morning. As I said the other day I'll be taking an average weight reading on Fridays so I'll have to see if this does even out over the week.

Looking at Sunday and Monday's reading it looks like I'm going to be well over my planned 130.5lb and may well cut down on calories next week. I'm sure life would be a lot more exacting without weekends; although possibly rather dull! It would probably be best to restrain my eating a little more at the weekends but where's the fun in life if you can't occasionally experience total indulgence.

I haven't done any training so far today but have chest and triceps planned for this afternoon. I've got some weight increases built in so it will be interesting to see how I cope. Last week my chest did feel relatively weak, but I did have an hour of swimming the day before which seemed to engage my chest and arms more than I was expecting.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

I'm beginning to feel some of the adverse effects of having upped the intensity of my training and also for the lack of time off I've had over the last few days. This morning my arms are feeling weak and I my lower abs are still feeling a little tender from Sunday. I'm subsequently thinking about postponing leg day again until tomorrow, to give me a little more recovery time. I don't think it's a particularly good idea to do squats if my lower abs have yet to recover. My lower abs have always been a problem area for me ever since school days so I'm always very protective of them now.

If I do postpone I know I could easily find myself in the same position as last week and start to run out of days again; but even if this means I'll not be able to do any aerobic training again this week, so be it. At this stage it's more important to maintain the intensity of my weight training whilst doing all I can to avoid injury. Saying that I should still be OK to fit all my training in if I make today my rest day. The problem is, of course, that I won't have anymore room for manouevre for the rest of the week so hopefully nothing else will happen to cause further disturbance.

I've come to the realisation that if I'm to have any chance of sticking to plan with my 0.5lb weekly increase I'm going to have to stop my weekly / bi-weekly binge. Whether it's putting fat on me or just retaining water, it's upsetting not to be able to stick to plan because of it. I thought I'd be able to get away with it without any adverse effects but it's clearly not the case. I guess I'll just have to accept it as another necessary sacrifice.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

The problem with this controlled bulking game is that, unlike cutting, if you make a mistake by over-eating then you can't correct it. You simply have to put up with your mistake for the duration.

When you're cutting, if you have a few days of over-eating you simply continue to cut until the mistake has been corrected.

I feel I've come to this realisation a little too late. I thought my occasional weekend indulgences would even themselves out but this is clearly not the case. I just keep getting heavier.

So I'm now in a position where I either have to put up with my unplanned additional weight until Feb 2010 or cut again to correct my mistakes before progressing. At the moment I intend to progress with the former and wait until Feb before cutting again but it is tempting to cut, just for one week, to bring my weight back down again. Alternatively I could always change my strategy and bulk for 3 months and then cut for one.

With the new knowledge I now have about myself I at least feel confident in having more control when bulking. I do find, however, that s cutting program that projects beyond a month does tend to result in massive post-cut cravings that I find hard to control, so maybe having just a one week cut could suit me quite well.

So my choices are as follows:

• To continue regardless until Feb 2010
  • To cut for a week and then continue with my long-term bulk.
  • To completely change my strategy, bulking for 3 months and cutting for 1 month
I haven't put on enough un-planned weight yet for this to be an urgent concern but it is something I'm thinking about.

Until tomorrow.

wontstop985

wontstop985

Awards
  • Established
Keep bulking. You might be gaining weight faster than intended because your glycogen stores are increasing since you are eating more. You may be holding more water if your sodium intake has increased any. jmo

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

I had a really good leg set yesterday with no strains, pains or signs of injury. I'm beginning to like the idea of taking Tuesdays off. It gives my body a generous hiatus between Chest Day and Leg Set which I always feel I need. I'm going to incorporate this into my training plan from this point forward.

I have Shoulders and Back to do later on today and, although I can feel the muscles in my back from yesterday's deadlifts, I don't think I'll have any problems this afternoon.

I'm really pleased at the progress I'm making during the week in both training and diet. I'm going to make an extra effort at the weekends to stick with my weekday diet. It's not as if I'm any hungrier at the weekends I've just been completely letting all psychological barriers down towards "pornographic" food. If I can do this there should be no reason why I can't have a really successful bulk, even if I do take a week off to cut.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 132lbs

I postponed my shoulders and back workout again yesterday. Those deadlifts again! I started to warm up in preparation when I realised that my back and shoulders were still very tight. I'm beginning to think that I should do deadlifts on shoulders and back day, but that would leave a gaping hole in my leg set day. That's the great thing about deadlifts - they hit so many different parts of your body, but I'm never sure when to do them - leg day or another day?!?

I would be very happy with my 0.5lb weight increase this morning if it wasn't for the 1.5lb increase I took on from last Saturday's binge. That gives me another 2lb increase in just one week. It's not good enough. If I carry on like that I'll weigh about 300lbs by Christmas and be ready for the oven. I won' t even need the stuffing!

Anyway I've decided to do a mini cut during the last week of July and to completely cut out my weekend binges. I'm then going to push up my calories slightly to 2500 and look to eat the same thing 7 days a week with my objective being that elusive 0.5lb weekly increase. My short term goal will be to try and weigh the same every day knowing that I'm eating slightly more than my body actually needs. The basic rules of bulking really.

I can't believe I've only been bulking for a month. It seems more like three!

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

Shoulder and Back finally done! I must say I like this new routine I've fallen into, even though it does mean I'm not doing any aerobic training. I can't say I miss it and my body really feels like it needs the rest. I certainly prefer training first thing in the morning which I can only do at the weekends and I really don't enjoy running when I'm always feeling so bloated. I think I'll stick with it for the time being.

My weight has slipped back down again to where it has been all week. I think this is a good indicator that I should be increasing my daily calories (up from 2400 to 2600) but only on the condition that I can keep to my strict routine during the weekend. My parents are coming round tomorrow so I'll have to been very disciplined. I'm feeling quite focussed at the moment, so I think I'll be OK. I know that my renewed focus is due to the on-going realisation that each pound of fat I put on now is potentially a whole week of cutting to endure at some point in the near future. I'm also all craved out, thankfully, so I'm not having any mad impulses to feast on any particular pornographic food.

I've been watching the first three Rocky films over the last few evenings. All three are still very watchable and inspirational, in a "Hollywood Land" sort of way, and definitely worth watching if you haven't already done so. I shouldn't worry about the latter films though. They just got sillier with each installment, although I seem to remember the most recent was a good watch.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

Well this is the longest time I've been the same weight for ages. I'm on 2600 calories now although it's always difficult to be exact. Supper was quite light last night.

Today is the big test of mental discipline. They'll be some good porno food on offer and I'm up to the challenge of declining it. I'd prefer to have my normal diet as I know it will do the job. I don't what I'll be thinking when temptation reaches the dining table. It would be great if I could weigh the same again tomorrow!

I had a good arms and abs workout this morning so that's the week's weights completed again. Chest and triceps tomorrow. I'm going to stick with my new training format for a while and see how I get on.

It's the last day of the British Open Golf championship and I'm really hoping that either Tom Watson or a Brit will win. It would be great to see either. Can you believe a 59 year old could actually win one of the biggest sporting events of the year? If he does it will certainly prove the benefits of staying in shape for the duration.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

I weighed in at 131.5lbs again so I'm very happy! It's a mini goal accomplished and I've proved to myself that it is possible for me to eat with moderation, especially as I enjoyed everything that was on offer including 2 desserts, both with ice cream, and 3 chocolate biscuits. What I used to do under these circumstances is to continue with my planned diet for the day as if nothing additional had been eaten. However yesterday I simply estimated how many additional calories I had had during the day and reduced this number from my evening meals. I knew I could easily reduce my evening calorie amount by 460 which I did and hey presto - 131.5lbs again this morning.

This has really encouraged me in the belief that I can maintain my weight, whatever weight I decide I want and whatever the social circumstances. I still plan to have a one week cut next week at 1700 calories until the end of July and then continue with my current 2600 for the duration.

I had a good Arms and Abs day on Sunday morning although I have somehow managed to strain a small group of muscles in my back whilst doing crunches with a 10kg weight on my chest. I'm subsequently not sure if I'm going to do any weights this afternoon but will only make that decision one I've warmed up and checked everything over. I'm supposed to be doing Chest and Triceps this afternoon so I'll be looking to see if my slight injury will negatively impact this routine.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 132.5lbs

Quite a jump up in weight this morning. I've no idea why. I wasn't aware I had anything too OTT yesterday. I was expecting this sort of increase yesterday, not today, but I guess it was overdue.

I did postpone my chest and tricep workout yesterday so I have to do it this afternoon. And then I have to my leg set tomorrow. There can be no excuses for further postponements this week or I'll run out of days.

Yesterday evening I was beginning to feel just a little bit sick of having to eat so much of the same food all the time. I'm only saying, 'a little bit sick' but it did allow me to foresee a time over the next 7 months when it will become quite a challenge to continue eating my way through the same heavy menu day after day after day. I should think I'll be quite desperate to cut, not something I could have imagined 5 weeks ago.

Rain again today. I could have sworn someone in the met office said we were in for a hot summer.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 133lbs
Daily calorie intake approx: 2500 calories over 7 meals a day

This is why controlled bulking is proving to be so difficult for me. I've only increased my calories by 200 but I've now put on 1.5lbs in just 3 days! I've been eating exactly the same foods just slightly more of them, so I've no idea why. Anyway I'm going to bring my intake down by 100 to 2500 and see if that helps slow things down a bit.

I managed to totally pin myself underneath my barbell yesterday during my bench press set. For those of you who have read this journal over the last 6 months you'll know that this isn't the first time I've been stupid enough to do this. However, this time there was no way that I could lift it back up, so there I was, trying not to laugh and trying not to let the weight squeeze the air out of my lungs. This time the only option I had was to slide the barbell sideways until one end rested on the floor. I then had to push the whole thing up on its end and gradually lift myself up off the bench. Not an easy task but at least I now know what to do should I find myself in that rather dangerous situation again. It did at least help contribute to what turned out to be a brutal chest and tricep set. I could hardly pick up a paper bag afterwards.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

Dropping 100 calories seemed to have made a difference as I fall back by 0.5lbs. I'll stick with 2500 for a while and see what happens.

I'm seriously thinking about taking a week off from training. I seem to be having to give myself longer and longer between each workout to recover which is only just happening before the next brutal assult. The muscles in my shoulders and back are beginning to enter the zone of permanent fragility and the last thing I want to do is cause myself a serious injury. I'm going to count how many weeks its been since I last had a break and if it's anywhere near 10 weeks I'm definitely going to have a week off and put myself on maintenance diet.

In line with the above, today I'm probably going to delay my leg set, again. My shoulders are really hurting this morning and there is no way I can do deadlifts in this state. As always I'll see how I feel this afternoon but it is looking very unlikely. On weeks like this my priority is to work my abs which is not due until Sunday so I'll definitely be doing that but I'm going to take it day by day until then. I'll make a decision about next week in due course. It was going to be a cutting week but I'm obviously not going to cut if I'm not doing any weights.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

132.5lbs again. Nice!

I'm constantly changing my mind at the moment. I'm thinking about merging my Leg day with my Shoulders and Back day to give me only 3 days training a week. I think I can do this as my deadlifts are working my legs, shoulders and back so well that I don't feel the need for a full day of shoulders and back. My leg day would have to be a little longer but it would give me an extra day for recovery which I really need at the moment. I'm hoping this strategy will also mean that I won't have to take a week off which, having checked my diary, isn't due for some time yet.

I'm also re-evaluating the need for me to do a mini cut next week. I'm controlling my diet and weight so well at the moment that I would like to continue bulking for a while longer. We've also completely lost out on our much promised British Summer, which has descended into sporadic periods of warmth sandwiched between ever more frequent showers, so I really can't see the point of cutting when the weather is feeling more Autumnal by the day.

One day I would really like to live somewhere that has a proper summer, you know, when the sun comes out for a sustained period of time.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 135lbs

I didn't get around to updating my journal over the weekend so here's a quick run down.

I weighed in at 132.5lbs on Saturday morning which was demonstrable proof of my ability to maintain the same weight during the working week. We then had a family BBQ on Saturday and I ate and drank too much of the wrong types of food. I subsequently weighed in at 135lbs on Sunday morning, a massive 2.5lb leap. I must admit to being a little shocked. I mean, I know I ate a little too much, but I've never put on so much weight in one day before. I think this depressed me a little and I didn't try very hard to stick to my diet on Sunday. Despite this I weighed in at 135lbs again this morning. I assume from recent history that I'll now weigh 135lbs for the remainder of the week and until my next binge.

I had an excellent Leg and Back set on Saturday and an equally good Arms and Abs set on Sunday. This morning I feel nicely tender in all the right places.

I'm not cutting this week as previously considered. I am making very good progress with my bulk and as the weather continues to worsen I'm happy to continue for the foreseeable future.

I'm also going to stick with my new 3 day a week training routine and plan to do the following:

Wednesday: Chest and Triceps
Saturday: Legs, Shoulders and Back
Sunday: Arms and Abs

Hopefully this will work out nicely for me.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
How's the strength coming along?
I'm making good gains in all areas. I know I haven't posted any weight increases. I must admit to finding the process of writing lists of the weights I do rather dull although I know I should for my records.

Todays Journal

Weight: 134.5lbs

Weight remained the same today as seems to be the norm during the working week.

I can't say my diet's been particularly clean over the last couple of days. We still have hangover food from the weekend that needs to be eaten and I haven't been trying too hard to stop myself. All I'm doing is cutting down on my evening calories to counteract the increase during the early evening, which seems to be working nicely.

Chest and triceps this afternoon. I'm definitely up for it! At the moment I feel I could do with more exercise!

I'm going to try and do my end of month photo this afternoon as I don't anticipate to have the time on Friday. It's a great opportunity for me to see just how fat I've become during the last 6 weeks! Ugh.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards
Weight: 135lbs
Current Body fat percentage reading: 11%

I'm generally very pleased with my end of month progress picture. I don't look as fat as I was fearing and I can see that I'm making good, steady progress. This is even more apparent when I compare it with my very first picture taken back in April 2008. I really do look quite pathetic in that shot. A very poor example of the human species. I now just have to be patient, continue to train and continue to keep my diet under control. Hopefully, by the summer of 2010, I'll have achieved a look I'll be happy with and then all I'll have to do is to maintain it for the rest of my life (?!?!).

I had a brutal chest and tricep set yesterday, not as mad as the week before, but intense enough for me to be struggling to role over in bed! I'm having to work away from home this weekend so I won't be able to train, so I'm planning on working out on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week and make the best of the time I have.

Until tomorrow.

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

Weighed in the same as Monday again this morning despite not sticking rigidly to my diet this week. Fortunately the sugar overspill from last weekend has finally dissipated and I was therefore able to have a completely clean day yesterday. Today should be exactly the same but the forthcoming weekend is a bit of an unknown. I'll be working away from home and subsequently will not be able to take all my normal food with me. I'll do the best I can but I suspect I'll be either way under or way over my normal calorie intake.

This weekend will also be quite physically demanding and I'll be burning far more calories than normal. I'll therefore be trying to eat as much as I can during the course of both Saturday and Sunday. If all goes well I'll be around the same weight as I am now but I have no great expectations regarding this.

My chest and triceps are still tender from Wednesday, a clear sign of a good workout. Hopefully they'll be fully recovered by tomorrow - I'm going to need them to be in peak condition for the next few days.

I won't be posting anymore updates until Monday, so until then...

Blackah

Blackah

Awards

Weighed in the same again this morning. I don't know what my weight was on Sat and Sun as I didn't have a chance to weigh myself but I estimate that my calorie intake was down on Saturday but up on Sunday, so I guess they evened each other out. I also had a physically exhausting weekend so I would have easily burned up the right amount of calories despite not doing any formal training.

I'm very pleased with my on going progress, certainly in that I'm maintaining my weight whilst eating a relatively clean diet at bulking levels. I'm fairly certain that I'll be foregoing my leg and shoulders set this week. I've used those muscle groups enough this weekend to suffice until this weekend coming. I plan to do Arms and Abs this afternoon and will then be able to get back to my normal routine with Chest and Triceps on Wednesday.

Until tomorrow.