Keto Diet | Best for Longevity?

foodielifter

foodielifter

Awards
Great thread. I just started keto today (planned for Thursday, so if the keto flu hits it will be on the weekend). I got interested in keto because I was looking for something more satiating. I got sidetracked because of the importance of fats for brain function. I feel my memory has deteriorated terribly and I'm just in my forties. I remembered our pediatrician telling us the importance of fat for brain development, when my son was born/young and how my mom always bought skim milk and I avoided fats because I was overweight.

The last hurdle that concerned me was the recent announce by the WHO declaring processed meats as a Class 1 carcinogen and red meats (including pork) as a Class 2 carcinogen, meaning they (may) contribute to increased risk of developing cancer. After more research it seems the increased risk is minimal (less than 1%) if at all (it was only an observational study). Not that you have to even eat those, on keto, if you don't want but it makes it easier and is part of the appeal.

I'm excited to see how I feel and perform after a few weeks.

Funny that bobi593 post the YouTube link because I just started watching Jason Wittrock's channel about two weeks ago.

Two questiond to those on keto. Do you try and get a lot of sodium as some recommend and do you take a magnesium supplement, as I have seen recommended, as well?

Oh and another question. What is your experience with artificial sweeteners? I usually drink 1 or 2 diet sodas per day. Some say you shouldn't at all on keto and some say it depends on the sweetener (like Stevia).

Br1ck_Sh1thouse

Awards
  • Established
Great thread. I just started keto today (planned for Thursday, so if the keto flu hits it will be on the weekend). I got interested in keto because I was looking for something more satiating. I got sidetracked because of the importance of fats for brain function. I feel my memory has deteriorated terribly and I'm just in my forties. I remembered our pediatrician telling us the importance of fat for brain development, when my son was born/young and how my mom always bought skim milk and I avoided fats because I was overweight.

The last hurdle that concerned me was the recent announce by the WHO declaring processed meats as a Class 1 carcinogen and red meats (including pork) as a Class 2 carcinogen, meaning they (may) contribute to increased risk of developing cancer. After more research it seems the increased risk is minimal (less than 1%) if at all (it was only an observational study). Not that you have to even eat those, on keto, if you don't want but it makes it easier and is part of the appeal.

Funny that bobi593 post the YouTube link because I just started watching Jason Wittrock's channel about two weeks ago.

Two questiond to those on keto. Do you try and get a lot of sodium as some recommend and do you take a magnesium supplement, as I have seen recommended, as well?
Absolutely, lots of salts both sodium and potassium will help you avoid keto flu

MindMuscleRep

Board Sponsor
Awards

Oh and another question. What is your experience with artificial sweeteners? I usually drink 1 or 2 diet sodas per day. Some say you shouldn't at all on keto and some say it depends on the sweetener (like Stevia).
i already take magnesium everyday and i dont add any sodium outside of what is already in the food or if i have something on it. for diet soda i always had crystal light or diet coke and never made a difference for me weight wise,, in terms of adverse health effects im not sure.

Tearbear

Awards
Here is an abstract from NCBI on keto diets. I was recently introduced to it and it feels so unhealthy and gross eating some of this crap. Butt mud ensues. It is surprisingly not bad for you

So gay I cannot post a link. How retarded. Anyway, google "keto diet health ramifications" the second link is from the NCBI.

1Fast400

Awards
  • Established
To help adjust, grab some BHB salts, mixed blend. Will make adaption a lot easier. Also good for mid afternoon pick ups during keto. Also good to have the excess minerals as your salt requirement goes up considerably on keto

baitslinger

baitslinger

Awards
I'm 4 weeks on Keto, and it's going very well. I've lost fat without ever going hungry, and my workouts have been just as good as when on carbs.

baitslinger

baitslinger

Awards
I recently had a blood test, and saw huge a improvement in fasted blood glucose and Hemoglobin A1C. I ran a 75 glucose, and it normally runs 100-110. A1C was down to 4.5 from 5.6.
Here's another huge benefit of Keto. My inflammation is way down, using my knee as a barometer. I can train legs hard and heavy, simply because my knee isn't nearly as inflamed. Sugar and wheat have been out of my diet for 6 weeks, and that makes a HUGE difference.

Here's a tip. Check out Quest Keto. Their meals are awesome. The 5% Nutrition Keto meals are a pretty good buy, but don't have nearly enough fat, and have way too much protein to get that good Keto balance. Some of Piana' lean beef meals are as dry as shoe leather, and virtually inedible.